Photo

ID this unusual 1960s racing Mini?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 20:01

Does anyone know anything about this car? I found the picture in a Tech Del Minilite wheel catalog from 1966, but no information was provided. The front wheels scale out to 13 inch diameter. On the rear quarter it says B.R.T. Developments, although the first letter may not be a "B". The driver's name on the front fender is obscured by glare. The front wheel arches have been opened up, so it's not just a 13 incher slapped on for a photo op. No other visible modifications. There may be something going on just ahead of the rear wheel, or that may be the lighting. At that time Cooper-Buick usually meant a Buick 215 in a Cooper Monaco - this variation could give a whole new meaning to torque steer!

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 GeoffE

GeoffE

• 152 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 20:28

There's a Mini Buick pictured (and described) here http://tinyurl.com/2czmvv

The words on the rear wing appear to be the same.

#3 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 20:29

ITS the buick v8 engined mini of Harry Rathcliffe .

#4 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 20:40

That was quick, thank you. I knew of Harry Ratcliff and the BVRT Minis, but somehow didn't know of this car. Thanks again.

#5 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 15:43

Damn, that would have been a brutal car.

#6 Richard Young

Richard Young

• 85 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 21:25

I seem to remember reading/being told that it was rear/mid engined but front wheel drive !
A bit like a WW2 fighter made by Bell perhaps ?

#7 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:44

I was wondering if anyone might mention or remember this particular car in the other thread about British Vita, but not so far.

I remember reading a 'road test/track test' of this car in Motor magazine in the mid 60's when an easily impressed teenager, and the name of the car and it 'exciting' nature appealed to me then and has stuck with me.

Unfortunately, the years have faded any recollection of the specifications or mechanical details..........

Sorry, just rambling....

Andrew

#8 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:27

IIRC , Richard is correct , mid engined ,driving the front wheels using a Jag diff!

#9 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:32

I sometimes think people never bother to read what's on the end of a hyperlink.... :(

#10 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:17

Originally posted by David Beard
I sometimes think people never bother to read what's on the end of a hyperlink.... :(

Some people don't know a hyperlink from a cufflink....I think we take a lot for granted these days :)

#11 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 15:48

I try to learn as I go along, but have to agree that some folks (particularly me) don't always know how to utilize the technology. The other difficulty is that the volume of information is occasionally so large that you never find the specific topic you’re looking for. A double-edged sword presented by the information superhighway and made worse by time limitations!

For those with an interest in checking out the links, here's a summary of what's been identified on several boards my original message was posted on:

An article on the British Vita Minis originally published in Miniworld 1995 and now posted on the Mk.1 Performance site. The Cooper Buick shows up in the article. - http://mk1-performan...ita_history.htm - This link was provided by GeoffE earlier in this thread.

The 1964 Autosport article on the car – this link is embedded in the one above but wasn’t immediately obvious to me. - http://mk1-performan...uick_review.jpg

A history of the British Vita Racing Team with many period photos. The “Mini Buick V-8” is found on the gallery for the 1964 season, and there is only one mention (that I saw) of the car being raced. This site is being developed by “luca” and was announced in a separate thread (“British Vita racing web site”) on TNF. I had visited luca’s site prior to posting my inquiry, but hadn’t made it to the necessary page – that double-edged sword! - http://mountgreen.co.uk/home.html

Finally, another page on the Mk.1 Performance site with multiple articles and pictures on BVRT and BRT Developments. According to the various articles, catalogs, photos, etc. posted here the acronyms stood for British Vita Racing and Tuning or British Vita Racing Team (not trying to start a debate, just identifying source information) and Barham, Ratcliffe, and Taylor Developments. This clarified the link between BRT and BVRT that I never would have made otherwise! - http://mk1-performan...ritish_vita.htm

Thanks to all who helped enlighten me. That was a great period for Mini racing in the US, sounds like it was even better in the UK!