Photo

The Pete Fenelon and Michael Catsch (Tuboscocca) Memorial Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
10515 replies to this topic

#5101 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 424 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:04

I have recently purchased some automotive related books with the intention of getting a small percentage of wall space on the girlfriend's book case.

Some are race related, others summer reading/ coffee table stuff, but i'm happy with everything I've read so far & excited to add more in the future.

Some recent buys:

McQueen's Machines - Matt Stone
12 Hours of Sebring 1970 - Harry Hurst
Bugatti Queen: In search of a French Racing Legend - Miranda Seymour
Bug - Phil Patton
Porsche - Dennis Adler
The Driver - Alexander Roy
Go Like Hell - A.J. Baime, and
Airstream: History of the Land Yacht - Bryan Burkhart

Interested in Tom Cotter's The Hemi In the Barn & The Cobra in the Barn, also The Bahamas Speed Weeks by Terry O'Neill next.

A good beginning to a promising catalog?

Any essentials in the vain of these anyone thinks I shouldn't be able to do without?

I'd like a couple of great biographies in the mix, and a lot of my interests seem to lie on the 50's 60's & 70's

Formula One, Porsche, Americana (Rte 66, Muscle Cars etc.), Le Mans 24hr, Can Am, Nurburgring, Cafe Racer motorcycles, The Great drivers, great triumphs, & the great yarns will always grab me.

Can't spend a fortune, but if anyone knows what I should really be reading, I figure it's probably TNF'ers.

Thanks!

Oh, also, any good retailers or secondhand automotive bookstores in or around New York City?

I know there's Strand Bookstore, but I kinda already took everything worth glancing at. 18 miles of books maybe, but only 12 sq. ft. devoted to automotive. And it's NASCAR stuff.
For shame...

I hope you know where this might lead. If a woman is prepared to give up some of her book shelves for you to build a motor racing library, you're likely to end up marrying her.

Anyway, check out a thread called 'Ten books to build a library upon'. Could have been written for you.

As for Bugatti Queen, a strong set of contemporary photographs, which is what prompted Seymour to write the book in the first place, but (and this is purely a matter of taste) I struggle with faction. Either write a biography or a novel - not both in one.

Happy buying and reading - and good luck with the girlfriend.

Advertisement

#5102 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 16:27

Haha! Great tips pOwderf1nger!

That is actually the plan....

Thankyou for the advice on the thread "Ten Books..." also.

To rwills, I actually haven't started The Roy book yet; it was my fondness for the movie "The Gumball Rally" that prompted me to buy it. And it was 4 bucks :)

Has anyone read Tom Cotter's The Hemi In the Barn & The Cobra in the Barn, or The Bahamas Speed Weeks by Terry O'Neill?

#5103 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 21:15

gm914.
I have read Cobra in the Barn by Tom Cotter and a very good read it was too. There is a chapter by Bill Warner describing interesting cars he has found in scrapyards, such as the Lang Cooper.

#5104 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 13:59

Le Mans
The official history of the world's greatest motor race 1960-69
Quentin Spurring
ISBN 978 1 84425 584 9

Former Autosport editor Spurrings account - apparently with the support of the ACO - of what happened at the 24 heures du Mans during the 1960s, year by year over 352 pages. Each year presented with the major facts about the race followed with articles presenting the story of teams, that very often happened to be the manufacturer of the car. To this a lot of colour photes are added. There is also a statistical part of the book, presenting the entry list and results and an hour by hour account of how each team performed. This bit fails with obvious mistakes like two or three cars placed on the same position at the same hourly summary - a bit more proff reading would have prevented this. All in all a very good read and well recommended by me for telling the stories, but will always question the statistical data, that even before the release seemed to be repeated. Next edition - the 1970s - scheduled for realease in February 2011, I'm told.

Jesper

#5105 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 15:15

Hi Jesper , sounds interesting , what MY big question would be is about the pictures , the "usual" from the wellknown archives , or have they found some "not shown before" pictures ?
What is your guess ?

#5106 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 16:21

Hi Jesper , sounds interesting , what MY big question would be is about the pictures , the "usual" from the wellknown archives , or have they found some "not shown before" pictures ?
What is your guess ?

Photoes provided by ACO, LAT, DDPI, Ferret Fotographic, Flavien Marcais, Ford, Porsche, Renault, Klemantaski, Sutton and Grand Prix Library in no particular order. Most of them new to me and as a bonus presented in decent sizes of about half a page each - pages of roughly A4 sizes.

Jesper

#5107 Richard Peck

Richard Peck

• 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 16:37

Picked up "Porsche - The Carrera Dynasty" by Glen Smale from Poundland for £1!!

A very good Haynes marque history. Definitely worth a lot more than that

#5108 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 17:32

Thanks Jesper , good infos.

#5109 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:55

[/quote]Has anyone read Tom Cotter's The Hemi In the Barn & The Cobra in the Barn, [/quote]

My local library (in Waitakere City, New Zealand) has both Tom Cotter books. Both are well worth reading. One of them, I forget which, has a story of the 'spiriting' of a pre-war GP Mercedes out of Estonia(?) - real cloak and dagger stuff!

#5110 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:09

Has anyone read Tom Cotter's The Hemi In the Barn & The Cobra in the Barn,

My local library (in Waitakere City, New Zealand) has both Tom Cotter books. Both are well worth reading. One of them, I forget which, has a story of the 'spiriting' of a pre-war GP Mercedes out of Estonia(?) - real cloak and dagger stuff!

I've heard about his story. Smuggled in part by part unnoticed & put together again without the threat of prison time in America.
Will be buying next week.

#5111 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:39

- a bit more proff reading would have prevented this.

Oh, Jesper, talk about an unfortunate typo! :lol:

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 21 June 2010 - 12:39.

#5112 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 16:13

- a bit more proff reading would have prevented this.
Jesper

Skitt's Law

#5113 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 16:23

DELAYED: 3 volumes set Le Mans 1923-2010.

I've heard that the 3-vol Le Mans set is delayed until October

See: http://www.vif-argen...s/boutique.html

Maybe including the 2010 edition and a publishing date of 9 July was over-ambitious...

So you can save money 'til October

Regards Michael

#5114 monoposto

monoposto

• 133 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 16:38

Jo Ramirez - Memoirs of a Racing Man

I read this pretty much in one sitting, which is something that normally happens only with books that are either very short or very good. Jo's autobiography is 340 pages, so draw your own conclusions ;)

Put simply, it's the best non-driver autobiography since Tony Rudd's, and for those whose interest in F1 remains current it may be even better. Jo describes his entire career in racing from his Mexican upbringing and early days as an unpaid gofer in Italy, with no work permit and no money, through to his retirement as McLaren's team coordinator. In between are fascinating insights into the Rodriguez brothers, Ferrari, Maserati, the Ford GT40, AAR, Tyrrell, Fittipaldi, Shadow, ATS, Theodore, and many more. There are great insights into all of the teams, with some very interesting background to the Arrows/Shadow split and the strange circumstances at ATS....

Although immensely entertaining and hugely readable, this isn't a book that pulls punches. Jo isn't afraid to say exactly what he thought - fans of Emerson Fittipaldi will find the section on jo's time there uncomfortable reading, in particular, and the portrait he paints of Ron Dennis is very complex - there's a clear mix of vast admiration for what Ron's achieved and genuine anger and perhaps pity about the lack of grace with which he can behave.

There's a lot of insight into the characters of drivers and engineers he's worked with - quite trenchant in some cases. It's clear that Jo's all time favourites were the Rodriguez brothers, particularly Riccardo, and Dan Gurney; he was no great fan of Lauda the man, recognised Prost and Senna as deeply flawed geniuses (and managed to remain on good terms with both, although it's difficult to hide the fact that he has perhaps more admiration for Senna than any other modern driver), and had a lot of time for Berger, Hakkinen and Coulthard. I would imagine Michael Andretti and Nigel Mansell don't figure strongly on the Ramirez Christmas card list.

What Jo tells, in a compelling, readable and often humorous style, is essentially the story of how Formula 1 has changed from a small-scale sport fought out by small bands of enthusiasts to a war fought between huge egos and huger corporations, and how as the stakes increased the human element started to disappear from the sport.

There are a very few minor mistakes - down at the level of minor typos on some names - but that doesn't spoil the enjoyment at all.

Unconditionally recommended. It's been well worth the wait.

This book is for sale at 'The Works' ( Norwich, at least ) for £1.99. Hardback

#5115 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 16:40

Oh, Jesper, talk about an unfortunate typo! :lol:

Tom

Danm!

Jesper

#5116 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,598 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 19:49

Jo Ramirez - Memoirs of a Racing Man

This book is for sale at 'The Works' ( Norwich, at least ) for £1.99. Hardback

Sounds like a reasonable price, but there were dissenters over Pete Fenelon's review, some were much less enthusiastic.

Our own TW said, "Seldom have I anticipated a book with such relish, but IMO it was merely 'ok'... Very disappointing..."

For what it's worth, I disagreed strongly with Pete's quoted review as well, just about the only time we ever had seriously opposing views on a book.

We really do miss Pete Fenelon's input to this thread, don't we?

#5117 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 20:14

Danm!

Jesper

:clap: Redeemed!

#5118 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:21

DELAYED: 3 volumes set Le Mans 1923-2010.

I've heard that the 3-vol Le Mans set is delayed until October

See: http://www.vif-argen...s/boutique.html

Maybe including the 2010 edition and a publishing date of 9 July was over-ambitious...

So you can save money 'til October

Regards Michael

At the 24 Hours, I ordered my copy and I was told that the first volume and the slipcase would be ready to pick up at 'Le Mans Classic' in July, as was the original plan for the entire set, whilst the other two volumes were to follow in October. This was confirmed later by Jean-Marc Teissedre, one of the authors.

Edited by René de Boer, 22 June 2010 - 09:22.

#5119 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:23

At the 24 Hours, I ordered my copy and I was told that the first volume and the slipcase would be ready to pick up at 'Le Mans Classic' in July, as was the original plan for the entire set, whilst the other two volumes were to follow in October. This was confirmed later by Jean-Marc Teissedre, one of the authors.

Hello René

that is new to me..but makes sense. Why not Vol 1+2 (running to 1985) ,and the slipcase??

Maybe the delay means the complete set??

There are not quite a few who would wish to purchase only Volume 1+2??

Regards Michael

Advertisement

#5120 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:59

Hello René

that is new to me..but makes sense. Why not Vol 1+2 (running to 1985) ,and the slipcase??

Maybe the delay means the complete set??

There are not quite a few who would wish to purchase only Volume 1+2??

Regards Michael

Don't ask me, ask the publishers... But they only sell the complete set. Given the choice, I would have considered buying Vol. 3 only, because I already have the two-volume set that was published in 1993, covering the races until 1992. However, there are many new photographs in the book from the earlier years, too, so that still makes it worth while, I guess. I just might have to reduce the restauant budget for 'Le Mans Classic' a little bit!

#5121 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 14:02

Don't ask me, ask the publishers... But they only sell the complete set. Given the choice, I would have considered buying Vol. 3 only, because I already have the two-volume set that was published in 1993, covering the races until 1992. However, there are many new photographs in the book from the earlier years, too, so that still makes it worth while, I guess. I just might have to reduce the restauant budget for 'Le Mans Classic' a little bit!

René you are absolutely right.

But I hope ,too, that they have new photos for the early editions.The recent years are greatly covered by the yearbooks...
As for the budget -down in Tertre Rouge (and Arnage too)I can recommend Merguez with frites served in a baguette...and not too expensive!!Instead of 'Maître Kanther'

Best regards Michael

#5122 René de Boer

René de Boer

• 402 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 14:24

As for the budget -down in Tertre Rouge (and Arnage too)I can recommend Merguez with frites served in a baguette...and not too expensive!!Instead of 'Maître Kanther'

OK, one more off-topic: in Arnage, I prefer Matfeuille, and in Le Mans, I rather go to Beaulieu than to Maître Kanter. You only live once! But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

#5123 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 16:26

OK, one more off-topic: in Arnage, I prefer Matfeuille, and in Le Mans, I rather go to Beaulieu than to Maître Kanter. You only live once! But thanks for the recommendation anyway.

The last off-topic: sorry for the 'vulgar' tipps!!
Beaulieu and Matfeuille are certainly fine Restaurants...
Both: expensive books AND superb food is desirable,but financially difficult.
DURING a race I prefer simple things..
Regards Michael

#5124 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 18:36

The simultanious release - in general terms - of the 3 volune Le Mans 1923-2010 and the first of a series of official history books about the same race by Quentin Spurring confuses me a bit. Both sets must cover a lot of the same ground and will eventually set at least me substantially back to consider one or the other - will probably end up buying both, though!

Jesper

#5125 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,396 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:17

I want to share this email from David Bull announcing Michael Argetsinger's success last night in Dearborn, MI, where he swept the International Automotive Media Awards. Congratulations Michael! :up:

Thanks to all who have been a part of the books success and your continued interest as Michael and David's latest: Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs is ready to be launched in less than four weeks.

Posted Image
Book details
Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed

Author: Michael Argetsinger
Foreword by Roger Penske
Format: Hardcover,
8 3/8" x 9", 344 pages
Photos: 15 black-and-white and 25 color photographs
ISBN: 978-1-935007-02-9
Price: $39.95

FREE SHIPPING!
SAVE $6.95!

Posted Image
Book details
Walt Hansgen: His Life and the History of Post-War American Road Racing

Author: Michael Argetsinger
Format: Hardcover,
8 3/8" x 9", 400 pages
Photos: 140 black-and-white and 15 color photos
ISBN: 978-1-893618-54-1
Price: $49.95

40% DISCOUNT!
SAVE $20!

Dear Brian,

I hope you'll join me in celebrating Michael Argetsinger's success yesterday at the International Automotive Media Awards, where his book Mark Donohue: Technical Excellence at Speed not only received the award for Best Book as well as a gold medal for best biography, but also swept all other entries from the automotive media--including books, magazines, newspapers, internet, radio, and television--to be named "Best of 2009."

Believe it or not, this is Michael's second big IAMA win. In 2005 his first book, Walt Hansgen: His Life and the History of Post-War American Road Racing, was also named Best Book and Best Biography.

To celebrate Michael's latest awards I'm offering free shipping--a $6.95 value--to customers who order Mark Donohue between now and the end of June. At 344 pages, this is the first complete biography of Donohue, whose speed and sophistication revolutionized American racing in the 1960s and 1970s. Michael spent years researching and writing the book, which draws upon interviews with Donohue's family, friends, and teammates, as well as observations from such great drivers as Mario Andretti, George Follmer, David Hobbs, Parnelli Jones, and Sam Posey.

I also wanted to use this occasion to encourage readers to take another look at Michael's biography of Walt Hansgen, who was a great friend and mentor to Mark Donohue. As the book's subtitle title indicates, Walt's career tells a much wider and intriguing story of how road racing grew in the 1950s and 1960s. Cars were getting faster and more sophisticated thanks to technical developments like rear engines, improved chassis designs, and aerodynamics. Behind the scenes, conflict raged as road racing rapidly evolved from a strictly amateur sport into a professional business.

Walt never became a household name like his protégé Mark Donohue, but in Michael Argetsinger's hands his story is every bit as compelling. That's why I'm offering customers this chance to buy Walt Hansgen--usually priced at $49.95--for just $29.95 between now and the end of June. This 40% discount is a fitting way to celebrate Michael's second double win in the IAMA, and to bring Walt's story and the vivid period of post-war American road racing to a wider audience.

Please use discount code MDFS to get free shipping on Mark Donohue. Use discount code WH40 to get Walt Hansgen for just $29.95. If you want to take advantage of these savings and order both titles, use discount code MDWH.

Posted ImagePosted Image

To see more photographs and information on Mark Donohue, Walt Hansgen, and all of our other books please visit our web site at http://www.bullpublishing.com/

As always, I unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction.

David Bull

Edited by B Squared, 23 June 2010 - 03:44.

#5126 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:18

The simultanious release - in general terms - of the 3 volune Le Mans 1923-2010 and the first of a series of official history books about the same race by Quentin Spurring confuses me a bit. Both sets must cover a lot of the same ground and will eventually set at least me substantially back to consider one or the other - will probably end up buying both, though!

Jesper

Dear Jesper--that's the best solution -buying both!!
The French books have another aim: showing every entrant by a photo ,even the DNS.Quentin's are more focussed on the race itsself (IMO).
Hope the Haynes series reaches the targeted 8 volumes...
Anyway WE are buying both!!
Regards Michael

#5127 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:46

Hear , hear ! (did you see the price of the 3 tome books .......)

#5128 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 17:01

Dear Jesper--that's the best solution -buying both!!
The French books have another aim: showing every entrant by a photo ,even the DNS.Quentin's are more focussed on the race itsself (IMO).
Hope the Haynes series reaches the targeted 8 volumes...
Anyway WE are buying both!!
Regards Michael

That makes sence, and yes, We must, we must.

..and Bjørn, realised the 300 Euros + PP amounts to about four full days salary (after tax man interference) in my current job, but Its temptimg.

Jesper

#5129 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 17:43

But Jesper you are a young man weith a big future in higher salarys , I am not so young and only get a low pension...........ha-ha.

#5130 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 582 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:23

I'll let you have a peek over my shoulder, Bjørn :)

Jesper

#5131 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:58

But Jesper you are a young man weith a big future in higher salarys , I am not so young and only get a low pension...........ha-ha.

Bjorn ..

When you look at the Haynes/Spurring series: if the price stays at 40GBP each ,you have to spend 320GBP without postage.
At todays rate a cool 380 Euros....

Nothing for us pensioneers??

Regards Michael

#5132 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:21

Hi guys ,

I am mostly interested in the years 1957 to 1967 , that is why the Spurring series is of interest , I simply take the chance hoping for some non seen picture and the stories.........and I do not believe to by more , well perhaps the one going up to 1960 then.

The 3 tome must be close to the ultimate LM book and at my age there are fewer years to be annoyed if it does not live up to my expactations. Anyway I am going nowhere on holidays , so I take the liberty to afford it !

My absolute main topic is still transporters , and these or racecar pictures .........there are still lots of them unseen , you can buy at 10-40£ a piecebut to by single ones at £40 a piece........................!

What is the price per picture in a book ? So seen the 3 tome should be a must ! I did buy the T&TS books and never has regretted. The picture books from the same author is a different case for me.

PS. But I still recommend Michel Bollee's LM books.

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 24 June 2010 - 09:22.

#5133 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 13:50

A Passion for Speed

The Life and Times of George Abecassis

by David Abecassis

Posted Image

George Abecassis was one of the last of the amateur drivers whose experience and dedication to the sport made him a semi-professional, and whose successes and efforts both before and after the War made him a household name. His accomplished and courageous driving of his own cars, such as Altas and Bugattis, and in the Aston Martin, HWM and Austin Healey teams, made him an important figure in British racing in its own right.

This book is now with the printers and is available from Paul Skilleter Books for pre-order in both Standard and Limited Edition leather volumes. Delivery should be around mid-September 2010.

Produced to the same high standards as previous PJ Publishing books, A Passion for Speed runs to over 400 pages and is being offered by Paul at the special introductory price of just £60.00 delivered in the UK (plus shipping elsewhere in the world) for the Standard edition — less than a tankful of petrol for most people, and over £100.00 less than some motoring books of similar quality. After 10 January 2011, it will be sold at jacket price of £65 plus £8.50 minimum P&P UK. The Leather Limited Edition (120 numbered copies only) is £150 + P&P.

Contents

* Chapter 1: The Child is Father to the Man
* Chapter 2: Getting Going
* Chapter 3: A Magnificent Year
* Chapter 4: The Road to War
* Chapter 5: To Fly and to Fight
* Chapter 6: Moonlight Squadron
* Chapter 7: Prisoner of War
* Chapter 8: Starting All Over Again
* Chapter 9: The Birth of the HWM
* Chapter 10: Raising the Flag
* Chapter 11: Flying the Flag Higher
* Chapter 12: The Sports Car Takes Over
* Chapter 13: The Greatest Race
* Chapter 14: Things Fall Apart
* Chapter 15: The Last Lap
* Appendix 1: The Cars that George Raced
* Appendix 2: George's Races
* Appendix 3: Cars Built at Walton
* Appendix 4: John Heath's Races and HWM Team Races

This book is a visual feast of motor racing images from George's career, which ran from 1933 to 1956, and included many of the great races of his day, one of which – the Mille Miglia – is given its own chapter for the four years he entered it. It is lavishly illustrated with 550 photographs from the collections of the finest photographers of the day (Louis Klemantaski, Guy Griffiths and Geoffrey Goddard to name but three), from his personal albums and POW diaries, and from the albums of his family and friends.

They help bring to life the story of one man set in the wider context of social, political and motor racing developments at home and abroad at the time. George’s long career in a time of dramatic change is a tale of struggle involving co-operation, friendship and rivalry with all the leading figures in British motor racing at the time, including Geoffrey Taylor, Earl Howe, Tony Rolt, Bira, Reg Parnell, John Heath, Duncan Hamilton, Stirling Moss, Lance Macklin, David Brown and many more. All these figures are drawn carefully, with the detailed story of John Heath’s life and death being covered for the first time in motor racing literature.

Full details are on the web site - there are a few example page spreads below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5134 PRD

PRD

• 508 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:10

Bjorn ..

When you look at the Haynes/Spurring series: if the price stays at 40GBP each ,you have to spend 320GBP without postage.
At todays rate a cool 380 Euros....

Nothing for us pensioneers??

Regards Michael

Guys,
Take a look at

http://www.amazon.co...1...6872&sr=1-1

almost half price :up: (and not just for pensioners :) )

fill your boots !

#5135 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 15:50

Guys,
Take a look at

http://www.amazon.co...1...6872&sr=1-1

almost half price :up: (and not just for pensioners :) )

fill your boots !

Dear PRD

I'm fully aware on this book-price-war!! I only thought for comparision-reasons you have to take the RRP...(as in France the best you can get are 5%)
Otherwise you are right!! And I confess I'm tempted from time to time to use these sellers...

Best regards Michael

#5136 PRD

PRD

• 508 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 16:46

Dear PRD

I'm fully aware on this book-price-war!! I only thought for comparision-reasons you have to take the RRP...(as in France the best you can get are 5%)
Otherwise you are right!! And I confess I'm tempted from time to time to use these sellers...

Best regards Michael

Michael

I've used Amazon France and Amazon Germany to get books that weren't available in the UK, so it'll be feasible for you to use Amazon UK if the sums add up. I too am surprised at the discounts available. There are a few books around at the moment that I wouldn't pay full price for,such as some recent biographies and the Le Mans book we've been discussing, but don't mind at 40-50% discount.

Presumably the sellers are still making a profit otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long.

Regards Paul

#5137 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:03

Michael

I've used Amazon France and Amazon Germany to get books that weren't available in the UK, so it'll be feasible for you to use Amazon UK if the sums add up. I too am surprised at the discounts available. There are a few books around at the moment that I wouldn't pay full price for,such as some recent biographies and the Le Mans book we've been discussing, but don't mind at 40-50% discount.

Presumably the sellers are still making a profit otherwise they wouldn't be in business for long.

Regards Paul

I do this all the time and interestingly, your Amazon UK login works on all the Amazon sites worldwide, you don't need to register on each one.

Roger

#5138 PRD

PRD

• 508 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 17:22

I do this all the time and interestingly, your Amazon UK login works on all the Amazon sites worldwide, you don't need to register on each one.

Roger

and fortunately all the sites work the same so my O level French and very limited German are good enough. Haven't tried my luck with Amazon Japan yet.....

#5139 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,000 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 21:15

and fortunately all the sites work the same so my O level French and very limited German are good enough. Haven't tried my luck with Amazon Japan yet.....

http://www.amazon.co...mp;node=1094656 :)

You can do exactly the same with the German and French sites. Just google "amazon (whatever) in English"

Advertisement

#5140 MarcSonnery

MarcSonnery

• 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:49

Hello all:

FYI there will be a Rebel rebel Breadvan book signing at Le Mans Classic on the Saturday at 11am at Chaters (stand 19-21 zone V1) where those who wish can have Keith Bluemel's fine signature and my horrible squashed mosquito hand writing! Needless to say if you already have a copy and want it signed bring it.

Look forward to meeting some of you there and maybe tell a story or two that were too....delicate to be in the book!

best regards,

Marc

#5141 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:34

I'd like to draw your attention to something completely different. This is a book about the Yugoslav years of the ETCC, as well as races with Yugoslav drivers: Posted Image
I was aware that this book would be written, but I was pleasantly surprised that the text was not only in Serbian but in English as well.
The following races are covered (and yes, from a Jugoslav viewpoint, but of course the bigger picture is painted as well):
GP Budapest 1964
Belgrade 1966
GP Budapest 1966
GP Belgrade 1967
GP Belgrade 1968
GP Brno 1968
GP Belgrade 1969, including the international F Vee race
GP Budapest 1969
GP Brno 1969
Zandvoort Trophy 1969
Jarama 1969
Monza 4 hours 1971
Monza 4 hours 1972
Austria Trophy 1972
Monza 4 hours 1973
Monza 4 hours 1974
It has extensive results and many pictures. This book is written by a true enthusiast and it shows how racing in the 60's took place - with all kind of dramas for drivers as well as spectators.

So far, I can't tell you where you can get it; but I can get you in touch with the author.

Edited by Frank de Jong, 10 July 2010 - 08:49.

#5142 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:26

PRD , Japan doesn't work--you have to log in new!!

But .com,co.uk,fr,.de...work from one Log-in.

Best regards Michael

#5143 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:57

Just a quick note to mention that the paperback edition of Nicholas Foulkes' "The Bentley Era" has seemingly just been remaindered. I picked a copy up in Bath today for a very reasonable £5.99 - it had only been on the shelf for ten minutes!

#5144 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:43

Just read it at velocetoday.com

Andrea Curami is dead. He was a great Italian historian and author.

A very heartly obituary in

http://www.velocetod...m/archives/8905

Michael

#5145 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,476 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:32

You could have read it here five days earlier.

#5146 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,468 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 18:43

Andrea Curami is dead. He was a great Italian historian and author.

A very heartly obituary in

http://www.velocetod...m/archives/8905

Michael

Thanks for the link, Michael. Not all of us visit the obits every day.

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 30 June 2010 - 18:44.

#5147 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 21:19

You could have read it here five days earlier.

Sorry Rewind--MY fault!!!

Regards Michael

#5148 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 13:39

Michael Argetsinger's new book Mark Donohue: His Life in Photographs will be availabe in a few weeks, making its debut at Road America's KIC Historic Races July 15-17 where Michael will be signing copies of the book. This is a photographic companion to he earlier book mentioned above in previous post.

http://www.bullpubli....asp?itemid=127

#5149 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,170 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:38

Friends:

Yesterday my copy of the new Leon Mandel book, The Jaundiced Eye, arrived, and it's a fascinating read. The book is a compilation of the best of Leon's Competition Press & AutoWeek columns, from the 1960s onward, edited by Kevin Wilson. Reading it, you can just hear Leon's gravelly voice, and you realize that this guy was an amazingly good writer who just happened to dedicate his efforts to automotive enthusiasm. Very highly recommended. See www.671press.com.

Frank

#5150 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,468 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 19:13

Friends:

Yesterday my copy of the new Leon Mandel book, The Jaundiced Eye, arrived, and it's a fascinating read. The book is a compilation of the best of Leon's Competition Press & AutoWeek columns, from the 1960s onward, edited by Kevin Wilson. Reading it, you can just hear Leon's gravelly voice, and you realize that this guy was an amazingly good writer who just happened to dedicate his efforts to automotive enthusiasm. Very highly recommended. See www.671press.com.

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I will pick this up for sure. Now, if we could get Shep's and Weith's Car and Driver stuff re-published that would be great. Throw McCall's Denbeigh pieces in there, too!

Jack.

Edited by Jack-the-Lad, 02 July 2010 - 19:16.