Photo

Personal photos from historic festivals

• Please log in to reply
1487 replies to this topic

#201 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 22:37

Something looks very wrong with that photo...A bit like when Stirling Moss test drove a 1983 (?) Brabham and wore his trademark white crash 'at from the 50s and 60s...but the other way round.

Advertisement

#202 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:40

I totally agree with you. The sad thing is that there are still helmets made that have the 50s to 70s look but you can barely see somebody use them. Same goes for racing overalls.
Maybe the should put an authenitc look into the rules...?

#203 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:39

Originally posted by Duc-Man
I totally agree with you. The sad thing is that there are still helmets made that have the 50s to 70s look but you can barely see somebody use them. Same goes for racing overalls.
Maybe the should put an authenitc look into the rules...?

Nice idea but the various National regulations that govern events often stiplulate that style of crash-hat that is permitted. Open face helmets in particular are frowned-on when worn in all but closed cars.

It would be nice if the FIA, as the outright governing body, would do something about it but I suspect it is very low down on their Priority List.

:wave:

#204 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 19:55

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
Something looks very wrong with that photo...A bit like when Stirling Moss test drove a 1983 (?) Brabham and wore his trademark white crash 'at from the 50s and 60s...but the other way round.

Absolutely agree but it gets far worse; I took loads of shots of Bentleys and Bugs with full-face helmeted drivers at the event and they DO look wrong!
Still, for me, it's about seeing and hearing the cars, rather than the drivers inappropriate footwear and underpants. :rotfl:

#205 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:10

Originally posted by Paul Taylor

If I was rich enough to own three or four Historic racers, which I'm not, I would at least make the effort to dress accordingly whilst driving each one! Obviously with drivers like Jackie Oliver who flit from car to car it is totally acceptable that they retain their distinctive helmet designs.

:cool:

#206 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:22

Originally posted by Stephen W

If I was rich enough to own three or four Historic racers, which I'm not, I would at least make the effort to dress accordingly whilst driving each one! Obviously with drivers like Jackie Oliver who flit from car to car it is totally acceptable that they retain their distinctive helmet designs.

:cool:

as somebody who races a 60's open sports racer for fun I can assure you wild horses would not persuade me to wear period kit or indeed race without a roll bar. I have 2 x 40 litre fuel tanks either side of me and a radiator and hosing by my legs....

I am sure if they had our kit in period they would have worn it as well!

#207 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 22:15

Mid-field getaway, LMC 06.
Posted Image

#208 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:05

as somebody who races a 60's open sports racer for fun I can assure you wild horses would not persuade me to wear period kit or indeed race without a roll bar. I have 2 x 40 litre fuel tanks either side of me and a radiator and hosing by my legs....

I am sure if they had our kit in period they would have worn it as well!

I wasn't suggesting that people raced wearing 1950s or 1960s overalls and helmets but modern equivalents. Demon Tweeks catalogue has various replica sets of overalls all of which meet current standards plus there are several open-faced helmets that likewise meet Snell or BSI standards.

As for Roll-bars I never suggested that these should not be fitted.

#209 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 22:03

A few snaps from today's Oulton PArk VSCC meeting
Posted Image
Although Duncan Ricketts made the better start in both of his races...
Posted Image
...he had to give best to Mark Gillies (ERA R3A) who went away with two well-fought victories
Posted Image
Tom Walker enjoyed himself with his Allard..
Posted Image
...as did John Ure with Peter Mann's Cooper Bristol. A fine fourth place in the 50's sports car race.
Posted Image
Hubert Fabri demonstrated his ex-King Leopold Type 59 Bugatti

Edited by Alan Cox, 17 May 2009 - 14:52.

#210 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 23:32

And a few more snaps from today's Oulton Park VSCC meeting...

Posted Image
Graham Paddick negotiates Cascades in his McDowell dirt-track racer.

Posted Image
John Williams (Riley Brooklands) and some Cestrian foliage.

Posted Image
Lean machine - John Ure (Cooper Bristol).

Posted Image

Posted Image
Before and after... Robert Carr at Knickerbrook.

Posted Image
Tom Walker pressing on...

Posted Image
Leonard Lord (Riley Falcon).

Posted Image
The. Best. Racetrack. In. The. World. Ever... Probably.

Edited by Simon Arron, 16 May 2009 - 23:36.

#211 Direct Drive

Direct Drive

• 408 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 00:46

A macro shot....

5-L Chevy, Surtees TS-5 at Road America

©David Allen Hutson

Posted Image

#212 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:41

And a few more snaps from today's Oulton Park VSCC meeting...

Posted Image
Graham Paddick negotiates Cascades in his McDowell dirt-track racer.

Anything known about the history of this car? Or is it a replica?

#213 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:53

I don't think it's a replica
It's been racing on and off in VSCC events in the UK for 30 years or so

#214 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:59

And yet more...

Posted Image
Jo Blakeney-Edwards (Frazer Nash Super Sport) carves inside Leonard Lord's Riley Falcon. Did the Lord Riley officially represent Belgium at some point in the distant past?

Posted Image
Jonathan Cobb (Frazer Nash) minimises left-front tyre wear.

Posted Image
Justin Maeers (GN Parker) discovers that it has just started to rain.

Posted Image
Stuart Dean's 1954 MG Dick Jacobs Special.

Posted Image
Vintage Burgundy - Peter Mann's Frazer Nash LM replica.

Posted Image
Hi ho silver leaning - Geoffrey O'Connell makes leisurely progress in his splendidly monikered Arnolt Bristol Bolide.

Posted Image
Rhapsody in red - David Asplin's Austin 7 Ulster replica.

Edited by Simon Arron, 17 May 2009 - 10:12.

#215 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:10

More great photos Alan and Simon !

You blokes are getting good at this stuff !! ;)

#216 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:29

A few more to bore RTH with...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Sam Stretton put in a storming performance with the Alta to take honours in the Bill Phillips' Trophy, after starting from the back of the grid.
Posted Image
Hubert Fabri's glorious DB3S
Posted Image
Duncan Ricketts - ERA R4D
Posted Image
Big Man in a Small Car - 6'5" John Ure squeezed into the ex-Tony Crook Cooper Bristol
Posted Image
Barry Cannell - Willment.

#217 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 13:53

Sam Stretton put in a storming performance with the Alta to take honours in the Bill Phillips' Trophy, after starting from the back of the grid.

Two out of two, following his recent Silverstone success

Hubert Fabri's glorious DB3S

For any Australians watching - the ex-McKay Kangaroo Stable car

Edited by David McKinney, 17 May 2009 - 13:54.

#218 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:03

A "suspended tow"!

Posted Image

#219 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:08

Mad dogs and Englishmen............. :rotfl:

Posted Image

Advertisement

#220 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:15

"Room for one more upstairs...." as the bus conductors used to shout.

This really is a BIG car.

Posted Image

#221 NanningF1fan

NanningF1fan

• 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:19

Lovely to see the Dick Jacobs MG Special back in action.

Dick Jacobs also raced an MG Y Type saloon car in the early 50s. Does anyone know if this also survives? Was it related to the Beige coloured MGY type which raced in MGOC and MGCC events in the 90s until it cartwheeled between Brooklands and Luffield at Silverstone. That must have been about 1998-99 and I never saw it again.

#222 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:59

Posted Image

#223 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 18:20

I wasn't suggesting that people raced wearing 1950s or 1960s overalls and helmets but modern equivalents. Demon Tweeks catalogue has various replica sets of overalls all of which meet current standards plus there are several open-faced helmets that likewise meet Snell or BSI standards.

As for Roll-bars I never suggested that these should not be fitted.

And there are authentic-looking driver suits available that meet SFI standards. Chaps with oversized space helmets and thick quilty black etc. suits look just as wrong as simulated knock-offs on a "continuatrion" GT40. Drivers suits should be shiny white and fit closely around ankles and wrists and have a tasteful thin stripe down arms and legs. Consult photos for Hinchman suits of the 60s and 70s for the apex of suit design. I do not quite understand car owners who strive and spend for the sake of authenticity and then get behind the wheel dressed in the latest -- and I may opine, awkward-looking-- personal kit.

#224 frogeye59

frogeye59

• 335 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 19:10

Great Photos Guy's, I was preparing mine to put some up, but they dont come close.

Though I thought this was interesting, the Allard looks a difficult beast to drive and I assumed would be a case of brawn as well as brain to control, yet a little opposite lock is being fed in here at Lodge and Mr Walker seems to be driving with fingertips.

Posted Image

If you spotted a Damon Hill cap during the day it could have been me.

#225 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 19:21

I have a question that I've always noticed about cars from the early-1950s and earlier, but have always been too ashamed to ask...

Why do so many vintage cars have positive camber on the front wheels? It's surely makes sense to have negative camber no matter what car it is, isn't it?

And please feel free to split my post and move it somewhere else...or point me to a thread where it has already been asked...

#226 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 19:26

Having finished watching replays of today's Formula 3000-standard WTCC chaos in Pau, here are a few more Oulton snapshots.

Absolutely Fabri - the Hubert collection.

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB3S.

Posted Image
Aston Martin DBR4.

Posted Image
Bugatti Type 59. Science is powerless to explain why the DBR4 demands a full-face helmet while the other two don't.

Posted Image
A difficult call on chassis set-up for Robert Beebee, whose Frazer Nash TT replica clearly had massive understeer at Lodge...

Posted Image
...while simultaneously being plagued by massive oversteer at, er, Lodge.

Posted Image
If Richard Ashmead had run this wide in 1974, he'd have been flirting with the sleepers...

Posted Image
Simon Edwards struts away from his broken Rejo.

Posted Image
Knobbly styles - Crispin Harris perfects the art of balancing a 3.8-litre drift.

Posted Image
Nick Hayward-Cook, an Austin 7 monoposto and the ever-glorious Little Budworth landscape.

#227 Voodoo Bob

Voodoo Bob

• 23 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 21:30

From the 2005 Monterey Historics, a car, driver, and passenger of some significance.

Posted Image
Sir Stirling Moss drives a few demonstration laps with Jay Leno in the 1955 Mercedes 300SLR with which Moss and Denis Jenkinson won the 1955 Mille Miglia. These were to be the last US track laps this car would see before being placed in the new Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

#228 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:52

Lovely shot, Bob. The vivid blue skies and and brilliant light of the Monterey Peninsula show historic cars off to the best effect.

#229 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:04

From the 2005 Monterey Historics, a car, driver, and passenger of some significance.
Sir Stirling Moss drives a few demonstration laps with Jay Leno in the 1955 Mercedes 300SLR with which Moss and Denis Jenkinson won the 1955 Mille Miglia. These were to be the last US track laps this car would see before being placed in the new Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

Superb photo. I thought for a second that Jay was helping out with the steering.

#230 Voodoo Bob

Voodoo Bob

• 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:14

Lovely shot, Bob. The vivid blue skies and and brilliant light of the Monterey Peninsula show historic cars off to the best effect.

Thanks, Alan. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures you've posted here when I discovered this thread today. Someday I'd like to be able to make some events over there...particularly Goodwood. They race really hard there compared to vintage races here like the Historics.

#231 Voodoo Bob

Voodoo Bob

• 23 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:20

Superb photo. I thought for a second that Jay was helping out with the steering.

Thanks, Pete. At first glance, it does look a bit like his arm on the wheel, doesn't it? I can hear him now..."No, Stirling, I said aim for the tree at the BOTTOM of the hill."

#232 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 20:58

Having finished watching replays of today's Formula 3000-standard WTCC chaos in Pau, here are a few more Oulton snapshots.

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB3S.

Posted Image
Aston Martin DBR4.

Which DBR4 is that Simon? I see one is currently for sale with H&H and I think it's the one Dad raced.
Funnily enough Dad raced Hubert's DB3s at Silvertone in June 1994 (of course won in it!!) - Hubert must have had it for a long time now but a slightly different livery back then.

#233 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 21:57

My turn with some VSCC Oulton snaps...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More here...

http://www.facebook....mp;l=b3c0d5f8b2

#234 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,489 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:20

Which DBR4 is that?

Hi Gregor

I think it is DBR4/4, but I'm probably better on Crosslé 25Fs than I am on 1950s grand prix Astons... Sorry.

I'm sure there are many on here - Lord McKinney of The Antipodes, for instance - who will be able to provide a comprehensive and accurate response.

#235 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:25

Hi Gregor

I think it is DBR4/4, but I'm probably better on Crosslé 25Fs than I am on 1950s grand prix Astons... Sorry.

I'm sure there are many on here - Lord McKinney of The Antipodes, for instance - who will be able to provide a comprehensive and accurate response.

Sorry, I'm not as up-to-date on movements as I used to was

#236 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:25

Hi Gregor

It says DBR4/4 in the prog.

#237 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:02

DBR4/4 is the ex-Lex Davison/Neil Corner/Alain de Cadenet/Tony Smith car if my reference is correct

#238 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 20:26

Hhmmhh - the chassis number I have for the car Dad raced (and used in the AMOC registers) is a different format to that - they start RB/XXX/X
I know Geoffrey Marsh had two, one original and one made up from spares that was sold many (8 maybe?) years ago and Squeaker raced it at Goodwood - why no-one ever asked Dad to race a DBR4 at Goodwood I'll never know - shame though, he probably did more laps around Goodwood in a DBR4 than anyone else and probably won more races in a DBR4 than anyone else but then that's not a hard claim to fame!!
Oh well, on with the pictures.

#239 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 21:32

The Marsh Plant car raced by GM was No.1. I think the built-up one was numbered 2, though clearly not the original 2

Advertisement

#240 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:07

The details I have are chassis number RB/250/1 and engine number RB6/300/1 - I think this was borrowed from Alain DeCadanet.
Maybe we could start a new thread on the DBR4; I don;t want to hijack this thread and this one (http://forums.autosp...c=38262&hl=DBR4) seems to have gone a bit O/T at the end!!

#241 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 22:31

A few happy snaps from Monaco 2002

Posted Image
Monaco F1 debutant Malaysian Alex Yoong hitched a ride in David McLoughlin's Lotus 72 to get some miles under his belt before the GP. He led, but took 2nd place behind Martin Stretton after getting stuck in fourth gear.
Posted Image
Likewise, Takuma Sato found a seat in Classic Team Lotus's Lotus 49. It ended in tears before practice was over......
Posted Image
Posted Image
John Dimmer's Tyrrell
Posted Image
..and John Delane's similar car
Posted Image
Opening lap of the 1950s drum-brake sports car race
Posted Image
A Master of Monaco at work
Posted Image
Pierre Rageys tries to lighten the fuel load of his Maserati 300S

Edited by Alan Cox, 20 May 2009 - 22:33.

#242 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 22:37

Ouch! That poor 49, was it Jochen's winning car Alan?

Ronnie's 72 :love:

#243 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 00:47

No, the 49 is the car that is still owned by CTL : NGH's winning car from 68 and 9 (ps. hallo from the Bahamas!)

#244 haston

haston

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:57

Posted Image
Aston Martin DB3S.

Posted Image
Aston Martin DBR4.

Posted Image
Bugatti Type 59. Science is powerless to explain why the DBR4 demands a full-face helmet while the other two don't.

Elementary, my dear Watson!
Rain was menacing for the single seaters race and as I wear spectacles, need a full face in such circumstances to alleviate them getting foggy!... But now, a harder one for you: why didn't I wear a balaclava when I drove the 59?
Hubert F.

Posted Image
A difficult call on chassis set-up for Robert Beebee, whose Frazer Nash TT replica clearly had massive understeer at Lodge...

Posted Image
...while simultaneously being plagued by massive oversteer at, er, Lodge.

Posted Image
If Richard Ashmead had run this wide in 1974, he'd have been flirting with the sleepers...

Posted Image
Simon Edwards struts away from his broken Rejo.

Posted Image
Knobbly styles - Crispin Harris perfects the art of balancing a 3.8-litre drift.

Posted Image
Nick Hayward-Cook, an Austin 7 monoposto and the ever-glorious Little Budworth landscape.

Edited by haston, 21 May 2009 - 10:02.

#245 haston

haston

• 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:51

Which DBR4 is that Simon? I see one is currently for sale with H&H and I think it's the one Dad raced.
Funnily enough Dad raced Hubert's DB3s at Silvertone in June 1994 (of course won in it!!) - Hubert must have had it for a long time now but a slightly different livery back then.

This is DBR4/4 which I bought from Tony Smith a few (4-5?) years ago... She has a continuous history: a spare car for the '59 GP at Silcerstone she was quickly sold to Lex Davidson in Australia and he raced her with success as a Tasman 3L) car until she was brought back to the UK by Neil Corner. he raced her in early historic events then passed her on to Alain de Cadenet... Who sold her to Neil Murray, thence Tony Smith and then I...

#246 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:32

Could I ask if it's really necessary to copy the complete set of photos from a previous post - it really clutters up the thread with repeats that don't, generally, serve any purpose. A reference to so-and-so's photo would appear, to me, to be sufficient.

Gripe over :well:

#247 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 14:40

A few happy snaps from Monaco 2002

Posted Image
Likewise, Takuma Sato found a seat in Classic Team Lotus's Lotus 49. It ended in tears before practice was over......
Posted Image

A 49 ruined by all those modern stickers. Hopefully Sato knocked a few off :)

The Tyrrell's are much better.

Nice pics Alan :)

Edited by alansart, 21 May 2009 - 14:43.

#248 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 16:17

A 49 ruined by all those modern stickers. Hopefully Sato knocked a few off :)

The Tyrrell's are much better.

And, indeed, the 72. The Tyrrell drivers take take the detail down to using Cevert and Stewart look-alike helmets.
I hadn't noticed before that the "Gold Leaf" script had been partly obscured to leave "Old Lea". I presume the Bridgestone sticker was to humour Sato's sponsors, even though the car was running Avons.

Edited by Alan Cox, 21 May 2009 - 16:18.

#249 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 17:12

And, indeed, the 72. The Tyrrell drivers take take the detail down to using Cevert and Stewart look-alike helmets.
I hadn't noticed before that the "Gold Leaf" script had been partly obscured to leave "Old Lea". I presume the Bridgestone sticker was to humour Sato's sponsors, even though the car was running Avons.

The Cevert helmet looks very good, although it should have a few more stone chips on it to make it look more authentic!

#250 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 21:38

Many thanks for the Oulton and Monaco photos chaps - very entertaining :up:

I'm more a fan of the 50s and 60s but those old stagers look pretty cool.

And as for Voodoo Bob's shot, that's a cracker. I think Jay Leno might have his hand on the "toilet roll holder", and not for navigation purposes!

Rob :wave:

Edited by Kingsleyrob, 21 May 2009 - 21:40.