Photo

Mosley requests extraordinary general assembly of FIA

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:51

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ news flash on ticker.

bye bye max

Advertisement

#2 FLB

FLB

• 29,871 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:52

I think he's finally decided enough was enough:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66307

#3 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:55

Think about the environment Max and instead of dragging everyone, press included, to Paris, to listen to your whining resignation, why don't you just send everyone an email instead?

#4 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:58

Nope, this will be a rallying cry to his troops. He will declare his innocence of the Nazi bit, get patted on the back for the 5 hours bit (wow Max, you da man!), and give out cards to some of the execs who want to avail themselves of the same service. Then he will come out fighting, tell everyone he's holding on until 2009 when his planned successor will be in the right position to take over. It's too soon for his plans to have matured.

#5 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Resign? In your dreams, he will fight till the end and who knows - he might win. Even if it seems that the odds are heavily against him, do not underestimate him.

#6 Tom Moro

Tom Moro

• 529 posts

It will be held at the earliest practicable date - December perchance, like when all the members are free? He thinks they will have forgotten about it by then (wrong) and/or they will be convinced by then not to vote him out. Pressure may take its course before then - we're only five days in and the wheels have come right off. Let's hope this coming Sunday's revelations aren't even more damning.............

#7 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:59

Originally posted by Buttoneer
Nope, this will be a rallying cry to his troops. He will declare his innocence of the Nazi bit, get patted on the back for the 5 hours bit (wow Max, you da man!), and give out cards to some of the execs who want to avail themselves of the same service. Then he will come out fighting, tell everyone he's holding on until 2009 when his planned successor will be in the right position to take over. It's too soon for his plans to have matured.

I think this is exactly what he'll try.

I'm not sure it's the best thing for the sport though. And do we _really_ need yet another bloody thread on this?

#8 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 14:59

Originally posted by Rinehart
Think about the environment Max and instead of dragging everyone, press included, to Paris, to listen to your whining resignation, why don't you just send everyone an email instead?

Totally. But this is Max Mosley we're talking about.

#9 klover

klover

• 3,862 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:00

Originally posted by Tom Moro
It will be held at the earliest practicable date - December perchance, like when all the members are free? He thinks they will have forgotten about it by then (wrong) and/or they will be convinced by then not to vote him out. Pressure may take its course before then - we're only five days in and the wheels have come right off. Let's hope this coming Sunday's revelations aren't even more damning.............

What Sunday revelations? Is there more to come :eek:

Never mind, I saw your reference in the other thread.

#10 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:01

Nope, this will be a rallying cry to his troops.

It sounds like that may well be what he's intending, but the car manufacturers have rallied already and I wonder how many FIA delegates are beholden to them? My guess is he'll be asked to step down.

#11 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:01

By the sound of his defiant and slightly loopy remarks, he will fight on (thereby guaranteeing this rumbles on for a few more months yet). :rolleyes:

#12 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:02

Originally posted by FLB
I think he's finally decided enough was enough:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/66307

Surely he wouldn't go to all that trouble if he was just going to resign?

#13 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:02

"In a statement issued by the FIA on Thursday, it said: "The full membership of the FIA will be invited to attend the meeting at which the widespread publicity following an apparently illegal invasion of the FIA President's privacy will be discussed."

So, Max's defence is that the revelations about him, true as they may be, were obtained in an illegal fashion.

He'll have to try very very hard to get that to stick in the UK; especially against Murdoch's lawyers.

#14 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:03

Originally posted by klover

There's gonna be a black lace series :p

#15 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:06

Originally posted by Owen
By the sound of his defiant and slightly loopy remarks, he will fight on (thereby guaranteeing this rumbles on for a few more months yet). :rolleyes:

If you're right, every year seems to have thrown up a bigger controversy. What will be discussed in 2009? All teams voicing their opinion against him being banned from F1?

#16 archstanton

archstanton

• 425 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:07

the NOTW are pros at this sort of game, i would be surprised if there wasn't something else yet to drop.

they usually splash with just enough, wait for a denial, a threat to sue, or for the subject to hope they've made it through and ridden out the worst of it, and then a week later, dump the second load on them.

but as we all saw, max didn't get and stay where he was without enough politicking, smoky backrooms and always making sure to play with a stacked deck, so he'll be tough to shift.

#17 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:07

Whether they had anything more or not, Max is in play now and the Murdoch cheque book will be buying any info that reflects badly on him.

I would suspect that Max's problem is that his last session with the hookers is almost certainly not his first and, being hookers who will do almost anything for money, there is probably a queue of them outside the NoTW's offices offering to sell their stories along with any photos & videos they have.

If I was Max, I'd resign now before the scandal sheets dump a bucket of manure over him big time.

#18 MichaelJP

MichaelJP

• 865 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:08

So Max tries a delaying action by calling an EGM, hoping that will satisfy those calling for his head and the heat will come off him for a while. Fat chance.

#19 Tom Moro

Tom Moro

• 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:11

The other thing thats funny is that Max is treating this situation akin to say the removal of a fuel filter on a refuelling rig. He will soon find out that pressure from outside F1 is greater than that within the microcosm...(think race access)

Advertisement

#20 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:11

Posted Image

The FIA General Assembly is the highest organ within the FIA. This is the organ Mosley answers to within the FIA.

Can others than the FIA President call a meeting of the General assembly? How does it work? Does anyone know?

I find it strange that Mosley took the initiative to call a meeting rather than the FIA General Assembly.

#21 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:12

Exactly, he only has his cronies left and he is hoping to get their support which they will enevitably do. Finally when he does have to go they will claim they were only obeying orders.

Regards

Andy

#22 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:12

For the good of the sport and reputation of F1, this guy should go, now!. :wave:
He can prove his innocence (or guilt) on his own time.
A shamless and undignified person Max is turning out to be, and I say this from someone who is neutral towards him.

#23 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:14

Resign? In your dreams, he will fight till the end and who knows - he might win. Even if it seems that the odds are heavily against him, do not underestimate him.

and how does that serve the sport? Another high profile meeting in Paris... I thought we had enough of those last year... all the media is full of F1 but not for the racing part. Sad :down:

#24 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,643 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:15

Remember: We're talking about the man who crucified McLaren for illegally obtaining information on how the Ferrari in Melbourne was illegal. He's going to try and do the same thing here...

The two cases are remarkably similar.

#25 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:15

Originally posted by Lord Snooty
If I was Max, I'd resign now before the scandal sheets dump a bucket of manure over him big time.

Unfortunately he seems too pigheaded to do so.

#26 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by AndyW35

Finally when he does have to go they will claim they were only obeying orders.

Sounds a lot like the standard Nuremburg defence to me. :lol:

#27 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by Blythy

There's gonna be a black lace series :p

I bet the male hero has some macho name like Dirk, Rip or Bernie.

Regards

Andy

#28 miniman

miniman

• 2,457 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:17

Mr Mosley, after being caught denuded is deluded that his position as the head of FIA is sustainable. He can call all the meetings he wants spend delegates' time and FIA money but in the end he will be forced to resign in shame.

It is conceit, no doubt, that clouds his judgement. The longer he drags himself through this mire the bigger the ridicule will be heaped on him. Had he chosen to go quietly he would be forgiven and in fact, i would assume a certain amount of sympathy would be shown to him, but dragging this on and on is exhausting any good will towards him.

#29 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:18

Right now I wouldn't care if Jean Todt would take over. Bring back calmness and order in the house, highly respected man, serve the sport, and I would bet that even Mclaren would be happy with that.

#30 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:18

By calling a meeting I think he might be to borrow a stock line from the tv westerns of my youth trying to "head them (the opposition) off at the pass" ie catch his enemies out before they can rally behind a candidate.

Fat chance Max The tumbrel is being prepared as I type.

To quote Bernie Taupin "Oh how high the scaffold grows"

Max is clinging on not only because of his psychological need to be in power but because when he goes ever deal he has done over the last ten years is going to be examined to in forensic detail.

#31 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:19

Originally posted by miniman
Mr Mosley, after being caught denuded is deluded that his position as the head of FIA is sustainable. He can call all the meetings he wants spend delegates' time and FIA money but in the end he will be forced to resign in shame.

It is conceit, no doubt, that clouds his judgement. The longer he drags himself through this mire the bigger the ridicule will be heaped on him. Had he chosen to go quietly he would be forgiven and in fact, i would assume a certain amount of sympathy would be shown to him, but dragging this on and on is exhausting any good will towards him.

exactly, how costly must it not be to convene a super meeting? AND FOR WHAT? For people to hear more about his personal conduct with 5 hookers??

#32 Arion

Arion

• 2,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:21

Originally posted by Timstr11
Posted Image

The FIA General Assembly is the highest organ within the FIA. This is the organ Mosley answers to within the FIA.

Can others than the FIA President call a meeting of the General assembly? How does it work? Does anyone know?

I find it strange that Mosley took the initiative to call a meeting rather than the FIA General Assembly.

I think he must be fairly confident his supporters will rally behind him, and he could use the occasion to silence manufacturers who have called for him to resign.

I think it depends on whether the Assembly can agree on who will succeed Max before the meeting, if everyone is happy with Jean Todt, they're ready to get rid of Max.

#33 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Originally posted by The Big Guns
Remember: We're talking about the man who crucified McLaren for illegally obtaining information on how the Ferrari in Melbourne was illegal. He's going to try and do the same thing here...

we really do not need this right now! not two years in a row :down:

#34 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Originally posted by glorius&victorius
Right now I wouldn't care if Jean Todt would take over. Bring back calmness and order in the house, highly respected man, serve the sport, and I would bet that even Mclaren would be happy with that.

Under these conditions Todt would be OK the next president will be under intense scrutiny no chance of another empire building dictator.

#35 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:23

Originally posted by The Big Guns

THIS IS SPANKGATE...

SPYGATE IS A DIFFEREND THREAD....

#36 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,643 posts

Originally posted by glorius&victorius

we really do not need this right now! not two years in a row :down:

Oh don't get me wrong, I am not saying what he did was right or wrong, I am just pointing out his line of thinking. He will use the same tactics now that he used back then.

#37 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

i think this will evolve as a political issue.

so much for max searching non political environment and finds f1.

1.newspaper being in the light of private news, and 'people' liking it. like they like 1984 or 1931.
2.car makers trying to clear the bad smell of selling cars to third world countries.

#38 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Originally posted by britishtrident

Under these conditions Todt would be OK the next president will be under intense scrutiny no chance of another empire building dictator.

But is Todt comfortable with that now? :lol:

#39 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:26

Originally posted by BuonoBruttoCattivo
For the good of the sport and reputation of F1, this guy should go, now!. :wave:
He can prove his innocence (or guilt) on his own time.
A shamless and undignified person Max is turning out to be, and I say this from someone who is neutral towards him.

what guilt?

Advertisement

#40 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:27

"Autosport.com understands Mosley has called the meeting because he wants to provide the FIA will total clarity of his position."(SIC)

His position was quite clear, it's what got him into this mess........................

As for suing The News of the World, I would suggest that they've got him over a barrel.

#41 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:29

Originally posted by Arion

I think he must be fairly confident his supporters will rally behind him, and he could use the occasion to silence manufacturers who have called for him to resign.

I think it depends on whether the Assembly can agree on who will succeed Max before the meeting, if everyone is happy with Jean Todt, they're ready to get rid of Max.

he could use the occasion to silence manufacturers who have called for him to resign.

Actually, I don't think there is a branch of motor sport anywhere in the world that does not rely upon manufacturer support at its higher levels. Those delegates will know that many of their series entirely depend upon the local Toyota dealership or the Mercedes importer or someone in a manufacturer's extended organisation for financial underpinning.

We know Toyota have spent over $1billion on F1 in their years of running a works team. How much more do they spend in aggregate supporting motorsport globally? If they don't like Max and threaten to take that investment away (along with the other big manufacturers) I can't see any delegate insisting on Max staying.

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:29

Well, if Todt is being lined up for the job, then it might explain the deafening silence from Fiat.

#43 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:31

Originally posted by Bloggsworth

As for suing The News of the World, I would suggest that they've got him over a barrel.

He'd probably enjoy that ..... :lol:

#44 Welsh

Welsh

• 600 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:43

Should one take a paddle, in case?

I mean how "extraordinary" will this meeting be? talk in german?

#45 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:49

Originally posted by Welsh

I mean how "extraordinary" will this meeting be? talk in german?

Should be good for the show of hands.

Ein, Zwei, Drei.....

#46 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:52

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Well, if Todt is being lined up for the job, then it might explain the deafening silence from Fiat.

If he were, and the FIA were FIAT surely they would want Max out ASAP?

#47 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 15:55

Originally posted by Vitesse2

i hope not.
i expect from fiat and renault to be silent or to condemn the news paper.
it´s a pity todt was regarded as chairman of fia days before the mosley article on a british tabloid.
maybe he (todt) should withdraw now.

#48 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:04

I don't like Max, but after this mess I really want him to stay.

I absolutely detest this style of journalism, and I strongly believe that a person's professional status should only be judged according to his performance while doing the job. Our society is really hypocritical, and the manufacturers' stance in this issue is really opportunistic :down: :down:

#49 Tom Moro

Tom Moro

• 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:05

From what I hear Ferrari iis one carmaker which won't be making a statement on this (whilst Maxxx is still president that is...)

#50 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,456 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 16:16

I'm interested to see if Max's fears about people digging in to his financial dealings come to fruit...