Race Lewis, Fernando and Kimi for real in F1 cars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:30

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/7440658.stm

the catch is that while they race in the real world, you race against the data they create, on a games console.

So you can choose to watch it, then rather than say you can do better, actually show it - whilst knowing not to park your car at the end of a pitlane in front of lewis. or you can race them, as they race each other in real time.

have often wondered why such logged info wasn't used before - but this data is really specific. sounds cool to me.

(and yes, some may think this should be in f1 simulators, but its not a simulator, its a graphic representation of the real and actual, not a simulation of a fantasy race.

Advertisement

#2 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:36

"If Hamilton is driving behind you he can't see you [in the game], so he would drive right through you," explained Mr Lurling.

whoops.... :lol:

#3 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:36

Originally posted by le chat noir
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/7440658.stm

(and yes, some may think this should be in f1 simulators, but its not a simulator, its a graphic representation of the real and actual, not a simulation of a fantasy race.

That's me told then. :lol:

#4 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:45

Originally posted by mel

That's me told then. :lol:

;) (the real reason of course is that no one looks in that forum much, but i think many should find it of interest)

#5 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:52

ooops, now you've blown it. :lol:

You don't get to post here just because its the busiest forum. If it's off topic it's off topic.

I'll set a redirect.

#6 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 19:54

Quoting myself from an other thread where this was mentioned :

One of the stupidest idea ever. Nonsense, really.

How do you race someone who doesn't see you? AI that manages overtaking? So when, after you slowed it down for two or three corners it decides that the AI counterpart must catchup with realpilot who's 4 seconds ahead, will it shoot out at 400 km/hr ?

I could see it used in a rally simulator, or perhaps as an hotlapping gimmick (Toca Practice Driver anyone?) but, seriously, there's just so many things wrong with that concept...