• 11,292 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 15:21

Post your quotes here.

Advertisement

#2 Nadsat

Nadsat

• 249 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 15:45

Giant leap for Red Bull. Webber second and Coulthard fourth. Great Kovalainen beating his team-mate the whole second session. Strange Lewis on P8 until the team decided to make a lap for the fans and got P3. Renault really bad. Nor Alonso nor Piquet could handle that really nervous and oversteering car: 15th and 17th... And what happened to the Ferraris? Massa, 8th. Raikkonen, 11th. It seems that the McLaren is one second per lap faster in Silverstone. Kovalainen is one of my favourites on Sunday.

I hope Alonso can do something better tomorrow and sunday... The gossip in the Spanish press (not a very good source) is that he, actually, has signed with Ferrari...

#3 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 15:52

Originally posted by Nadsat
... The gossip in the Spanish press (not a very good source) is that he, actually, has signed with Ferrari...

:lol:

#4 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 15:56

Giant leap for Red Bull. Webber second and Coulthard fourth. Great Kovalainen beating his team-mate the whole second session. Strange Lewis on P8 until the team decided to make a lap for the fans and got P3. Renault really bad. Nor Alonso nor Piquet could handle that really nervous and oversteering car: 15th and 17th... And what happened to the Ferraris? Massa, 8th. Raikkonen, 11th. It seems that the McLaren is one second per lap faster in Silverstone. Kovalainen is one of my favourites on Sunday.

I hope Alonso can do something better tomorrow and sunday... The gossip in the Spanish press (not a very good source) is that he, actually, has signed with Ferrari...

yeah,mclaren sure is 1sec.faster than scuderia :rolleyes:

#5 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,298 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 15:59

It seems that the McLaren is one second per lap faster in Silverstone.

Did you notice there was a morning session too? It's called practice for a reason.

#6 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:22

BTW, Senna on pole, again ...

:clap:

#7 AFCA

AFCA

• 6,661 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:26

British GP - Free Practice

Free practice - First session

F. Massa: 1st 1.19.575 8 laps chassis 267
K. Raikkonen: 4th 1.19.948 16 laps chassis 270
Weather: air temperature 20 °C, track temperature 27/28 °C, cloudy.

Free Practice - Second session

F. Massa: 8th 1.20.943 18 laps chassis 267
K. Raikkonen: 12th 1.21.275 31 laps chassis 270
Weather: air temperature 23/25 °C, track temperature 29/37 °C, partially cloudy.

A rather niggly Friday for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro. This morning there was Felipe Massa's accident, when he lost control of the car under braking going into turn 7, because of oil dropped on the racing line by Alonso's car. It ended with Massa's car in the barriers and while fortunately the driver was uninjured, the car suffered heavy damage. Thanks to the work of the team, Felipe's car was repaired and the Brazilian managed to get out on track in the second session. Kimi had no particular problems but, especially in the afternoon, he was unable to get the car well balanced. "First and foremost I want to praise our mechanics, who did an extraordinary job in repairing Felipe's car," commented the Team Principal of the Gestione Sportiva, Stefano Domenicali. "Given the amount of damage and the short time available they were really great. On the technical front, it was not a totally satisfactory day. Of course, we lost some time with Felipe, who despite everything said he was reasonably happy with the handling of his car, while the same could not be said for Kimi, especially in the second session. Now we must study the data very carefully to be sure we make the right choices for the rest of the weekend, keeping in mind the weather, given that rain is forecast for the next two days."

Kimi Raikkonen: "This morning things were not so bad, while in the afternoon I had a bit of a struggle to find the best settings on the car, which was not working as well as it had done at last week's test. We have to look at the data to understand why. Obviously, the order in the second session is not representative of the relative strengths in the field. But I am still reasonably confident and if we manage to find a good set-up, then we can fight for the top places."

Felipe Massa: "It was a big crash, but that's part of the game and I have had much worse accidents in my career. I didn't see any flags and I had approached the corner in the usual way and then I totally lost control of the car under braking. I tried to slow down, but the impact was still pretty violent. The most important thing is that we were able to fix the car and in the end we didn't lose that much time as it wasn't planned for me to do many laps in the morning. I want to thank all the lads for the work they did: they were fantastic and they didn't stop for a moment right up to the very end of the second session. We came to Silverstone with a good starting point after the tests we did here last week and I think we are going in the right direction. I am pleased with the balance of the car and its performance on both types of tyre we have here from Bridgestone."

Luca Baldisserri: "We struggled a bit today. This morning we had Felipe going off the track which did serious damage to his car. Fortunately, thanks to an exceptional job from the team, we managed to put the car back together and get the driver out on track with an hour remaining of the second session. Kimi was unable to find the best set-up on his car, so we can expect a bit of work now to be as well prepared as possible for tomorrow. From what we saw today, and from the data we gathered last week, we have a significant amount of information to study to be ready for qualifying and for the race, while keeping in mind the fact the weather could be bad."

#8 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:26

Originally posted by mursuka80

yeah,mclaren sure is 1sec.faster than scuderia :rolleyes:

well not quite yet, but they do seem to be in a very good form this weekend. May be not so good with soft tyres as with harder ones though.

#9 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:31

it looks like once again the ferrari setup is not suiting Kimi. Massa on the other hand said the car was fantastic..

AFCA, any quotes from Kubica/BMW?

#10 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:33

got it..

Robert Kubica:
BMW Sauber F1.08-03 / BMW P86/8
1st Practice: 5th, 1:20.367 min / 2nd Practice: 11th, 1:21.023 min
“There is nothing special to report from today, as it was just a normal Friday with us testing almost everything we had planned. Now we shall see how the weather is tomorrow and what we have to do to improve the car. As always in Silverstone, the balance of the car is changing with the weather conditions, especially the wind. I have never driven here in the rain, yet, but for me whether it rains or is dry makes no difference.”

#11 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:34

Some folk get too excited about practice sessions :confused: . No way will McLaren have an advantage of 1 sec. Yes practice sessions can give you an indication, but that is all.

#12 pacwest

pacwest

• 1,482 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:00

Sure is a lot of talk about Vettel and Ferrari today on the telly.

Hamilton seemed to be testing fuel loads, Webber has cachet now in my eyes. I still think he needs a good car. Looks fast and confident behind the wheel.

The Williams team seems to have a good car but 9/10ths drivers. Toyota is a mess. Someone should make the car gorgeous to make up for the lack of pace to dollars spent.

I see a lot of desperation this year in drivers and teams. Maybe I'm just paying more attention.

Ferrari seemed to be asleep today. I expected Kubica to be faster.

#13 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:07

In France Toyota was in positions 12 and 15 at free practice two, so the bashers should be silent at least until qualifying.

#14 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:24

Practice is irrelevant. The weather forecast is relevant.

It will rain tomorrow. Today is irrelevant.

#15 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 17:31

Loved the new onboard camera angles on the Macs. Hope Kimi can get the balance on the car sorted or he'll have a race like Turkey or Bahrain. Macs look very quick specially Kovy.

#16 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 18:05

yes, HK looked nice and tidy.

seemed like more than a few were running with very soft suspension settings. FM's Ferrari bounced like a superball exiting Bridge towards the end of P2.

I know it's practice, but, looking at the time sheets for P2, it's funny to see both Red Bull-Renaults and Williams-Toyotas ahead of the works teams, as well as one Toro Rosso-Ferrari faster than the two Ferraris.

#17 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 18:10

Originally posted by BMW_F1
it looks like once again the ferrari setup is not suiting Kimi. Massa on the other hand said the car was fantastic..

Yeah,and massa seemed not able to keep the car on track :lol:

#18 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:38

He always have a lot of problems with the setup. It looks like Massa either know how to setup the car better or can drive around the problems, I've never heard him complining about the setup.

#19 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:51

I hope that it is true. Fernando would be a great test driver.

Advertisement

#20 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:53

Question time..

Which one here wore the wrong outfit today?..
:
When will the British learn dress sense....

Jp

#21 MS KR

MS KR

• 117 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:04

I think Kimi will retire this season no matter what, whether he wins or not. Alonso will be Massa's partner next season I have a feeling.

#22 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:27

James Allen said McLaren are faster on the long runs.... But might suffer with too much tyre wear and therefore may have to go for 3 stops.....

#23 peroa

peroa

• 10,762 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:30

That in itself is contradictory.

:drunk:

EDIT: OK, I read the piece, he thinks that they might have a Turkey problem here, but I don`t really know on what facts he bases that. Turkey was a long, long time ago ...

#24 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:35

this is james allen, not steven hawking....

#25 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:35

A view from somebody who was there: warm, sunny, no traffic problems at all, no sunburn (for a change), busy, drivers on form, Sutil went for a bounce at one point, Nakajima tried to take Bridge backwards, Alonso went *Kaboom* and Massa found the aftermath! Was seriously impressed at how quickly the Ferrari team rebuilt Massa's car. Heikki topped the second session.

Wasn't so impressed by a very small element of the crowd applauding when Massa went off; the little kid next to me asked me "Why are they cheering about my favourite driver having a crash?" : I reassured him that most of the fans are very nice people and it's only a few people who get excited about crashes. I'd been chatting to this kid and his Dad as they'd been asking for advice (it was their first time at Silverstone) and an idea formed in my head as I listened to the kid cheering his favourite drivers: his favourite drivers were Massa, Alonso and Kimi. I spoke to his Dad and told them to come and find me at the end of the second practice session; it just so happens that I had access to a photo printer and I presented him with 3 pictures (one of each of his favourite drivers) that I'd taken whilst standing at Copse with him that morning. He was thrilled.

A small selection of my pictures from today are at Suzy's photo page

#26 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:37

Originally posted by Suzy
I'd been chatting to this kid and his Dad as they'd been asking for advice (it was their first time at Silverstone) and an idea formed in my head as I listened to the kid cheering his favourite drivers: his favourite drivers were Massa, Alonso and Kimi. I spoke to his Dad and told them to come and find me at the end of the second practice session; it just so happens that I had access to a photo printer and I presented him with 3 pictures (one of each of his favourite drivers) that I'd taken whilst standing at Copse with him that morning. He was thrilled.

That's a lovely story suzy and that is very nice of you to do that :up: :up: :D You know, little things like that when you're young really do stay with you all your life.

#27 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 20:50

Thanks Kar. :kiss: I remember feeling totally overwhelmed at my first GP and being so glad to find somebody to "help" me. Now I like to return the favour if I can - and I hope the kid and his dad enjoy the rest of the weekend as much as they enjoyed today. The kid had been getting a bit disheartened as he only had a little camera with him and couldn't photograph the cars and kept wanting to see what I'd taken. That's really what formed the idea.

I'm fortunate in that I can strike up conversations quite easily. Having an official shirt with my name visible and interesting passes dangling around my neck helps too as it makes me look reliable. If only they knew... :lol: I tend to advise on best viewing points around the circuit and locations of cash machines, food, merchandise. Mind you, I do draw the line at being a mobile "Yellow Pages" - having been approached in previous years about the location of local Chinese restaurants and whether or not Tesco's in Towcester do a particular brand of beer and tomato ketchup :confused:

#28 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:01

I think Kimi will retire this season no matter what, whether he wins or not. Alonso will be Massa's partner next season I have a feeling.

Kimi says to Turun Sanomat that its 100% certain that he will be driving next year.

#29 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 21:06

Originally posted by jokuvaan
Kimi says to Turun Sanomat that its 100% certain that he will be driving next year.

For Ferrari or in WRC?

#30 nestor

nestor

• 412 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:03

Originally posted by Man of the race

I hope that it is true. Fernando would be a great test driver.

Ah , the haters , I wonder how many of you will eat crow when tha happens ..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :lol:

#31 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:44

A view from somebody who was there: warm, sunny, no traffic problems at all, no sunburn (for a change), busy, drivers on form, Sutil went for a bounce at one point, Nakajima tried to take Bridge backwards, Alonso went *Kaboom* and Massa found the aftermath! Was seriously impressed at how quickly the Ferrari team rebuilt Massa's car. Heikki topped the second session.

Wasn't so impressed by a very small element of the crowd applauding when Massa went off; the little kid next to me asked me "Why are they cheering about my favourite driver having a crash?" : I reassured him that most of the fans are very nice people and it's only a few people who get excited about crashes. I'd been chatting to this kid and his Dad as they'd been asking for advice (it was their first time at Silverstone) and an idea formed in my head as I listened to the kid cheering his favourite drivers: his favourite drivers were Massa, Alonso and Kimi. I spoke to his Dad and told them to come and find me at the end of the second practice session; it just so happens that I had access to a photo printer and I presented him with 3 pictures (one of each of his favourite drivers) that I'd taken whilst standing at Copse with him that morning. He was thrilled.

awsome :up:

#32 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:51

Originally posted by AFCA
Kimi Raikkonen: ".....Obviously, the order in the second session is not representative of the relative strengths in the field. But I am still reasonably confident....

Do the Ferrari Press office expect us to believe that KR actually spoke those words, or is it just taken as fact that these press releases are essentially a work of fiction based on the grunts and a 'for sure' from the drivers?

Meanwhile - Suzy - that kid's going to have today burnt into his brain for all time. I can remember the British GP's I attended in the '90s. I think it must have been '96 when I was standing in the crowd infront of the Marlboro stand behind the SF grandstands. DC comes on, Mika came on....and then the crowd went utterly MENTAL for Eddie Irvine. There were these utterly hillarious Irish EI fans taking the piss out of the recent march blockages in NI - and EI played up to them brilliantly. A hell of a time :)

Doug

#33 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 23:54

Originally posted by mursuka80

Yeah,and massa seemed not able to keep the car on track :lol:

there was oil on the track from Alonso's car.. How is this funny?

#34 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 00:10

there was oil on the track from Alonso's car.. How is this funny?

It's funny how easily he got you.;)

Ferrari and BMW seemed to be pretty much off the pace today. Even if they were running with heavy fuel loads this indicates the race is gonna be really tough for them. I'm sorta stunned because i actually expected Ferrari to be ahead by quite a margin.

Are they using the same tires like last year?

#35 Wilko

Wilko

• 296 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 00:13

Wasn't so impressed by a very small element of the crowd applauding when Massa went off; the little kid next to me asked me "Why are they cheering about my favourite driver having a crash?" I reassured him that most of the fans are very nice people and it's only a few people who get excited about crashes. I'd been chatting to this kid and his Dad as they'd been asking for advice (it was their first time at Silverstone) and an idea formed in my head as I listened to the kid cheering his favourite drivers: his favourite drivers were Massa, Alonso and Kimi. I spoke to his Dad and told them to come and find me at the end of the second practice session; it just so happens that I had access to a photo printer and I presented him with 3 pictures (one of each of his favourite drivers) that I'd taken whilst standing at Copse with him that morning. He was thrilled.

A small selection of my pictures from today are at Suzy's photo page:

Thank you.. I have had a utter yuck morning and this has made me feel a whole lot better :wave:

#36 Amrl

Amrl

• 785 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 00:32

Originally posted by cardin
He always have a lot of problems with the setup. It looks like Massa either know how to setup the car better or can drive around the problems, I've never heard him complining about the setup.

Indeed, to find Massa suffering from setup issues we'll have to go all the way back to ... two weeks ago!

#37 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:27

Originally posted by Amrl

Indeed, to find Massa suffering from setup issues we'll have to go all the way back to ... two weeks ago!

And he won while having setup problems ? Now I'm really impressed.

#38 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:40

Originally posted by cardin

And he won while having setup problems ? Now I'm really impressed.

I think he meant how Kimi was faster in the race. Anyways looks close as usual

#39 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:50

How many engines have Renault blown in practice this season?

Advertisement

#40 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:25

OK, Suzy is now my favorite person on this board. :)

By the way, nice photos. I hope you'll add some more throughout the weekend.

#41 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,885 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:52

Thanks Kar. :kiss: I remember feeling totally overwhelmed at my first GP and being so glad to find somebody to "help" me. Now I like to return the favour if I can - and I hope the kid and his dad enjoy the rest of the weekend as much as they enjoyed today. The kid had been getting a bit disheartened as he only had a little camera with him and couldn't photograph the cars and kept wanting to see what I'd taken. That's really what formed the idea.

I'm fortunate in that I can strike up conversations quite easily. Having an official shirt with my name visible and interesting passes dangling around my neck helps too as it makes me look reliable. If only they knew... :lol: I tend to advise on best viewing points around the circuit and locations of cash machines, food, merchandise. Mind you, I do draw the line at being a mobile "Yellow Pages" - having been approached in previous years about the location of local Chinese restaurants and whether or not Tesco's in Towcester do a particular brand of beer and tomato ketchup :confused:

:up: Good on you. And your pics made me feel I'd been there, thanks for those.

Its a shame though that young kids just have the top drivers for their heros - I reckon I could pic his top 5 drivers quite easily.

#42 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,885 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:54

Originally posted by MS KR

Its time then to make some bets with some of us - there'll be plenty wanting to take up a wager. I don't bet, but I'll take one up too.

#43 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,885 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:57

Originally posted by Atreiu
How many engines have Renault blown in practice this season?

I wonder if they push the cooling for practice glory? It makes little sense - bad PR, and wasted testing time, all to either over push an engine, or run an old or reco one. And Renault's F1 engine reputation was #1 until the homologation engines came along. Its bewildering, it makes no sense to me.

#44 SennasCat

SennasCat

• 1,304 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:44

Originally posted by Melbourne Park
I wonder if they push the cooling for practice glory? It makes little sense - bad PR, and wasted testing time, all to either over push an engine, or run an old or reco one. And Renault's F1 engine reputation was #1 until the homologation engines came along. Its bewildering, it makes no sense to me.

Damn good point. It hadn't occured to me but you may well be right...

#45 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:59

true, but your no where if you dont push the limits in f1, did alonso's engine ksplode or just piss oil everywhere?. bad thing is there seemingly not spotting the fault(s) from telemitary, but given the rpm something flailing inside will soon ruin itself

other teams might bring new engines for practise, and use them for a couple of GP's

#46 F1Fund

F1Fund

• 211 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:54

Does anyone have a link for the FIA official timing documents? (the PDF files they normally have). I can’t seem to find them this weekend.

Having sat at Club in the first practice session the one driver who looked on it from the very start was Kimi. It’s funny how he complained about the afternoon session and never topped the times as it looked like his car was great straight out of the box. Maybe the track is ‘moving away’ from him. Heikki also looked good and could be in for a strong weekend.

#47 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:00

http://fia.com/great...ingp/timing.htm

About the Renault engines i was thinking that maybe they're blowing them up on purpose to claim needs to update them in winter. This way they could eventually gain a significant power boost as Ferrari is rumored to have done this winter. But, i'm just talking out of my arse here.;)

#48 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:07

Originally posted by jonpollak
Question time..

Which one here wore the wrong outfit today?..
:
When will the British learn dress sense....

Jp

Can't believe they let her in wearing that outfit.
F1 needs to dump this cheap sexist image.

#49 F1Fund

F1Fund

• 211 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:14

Cheers Hippo

Anyone know what Pat Symonds is referring too in this quote.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/68844

“we were aware of what areas of our investigations needed completing, and looking at the times of some of our competitors, it seems that they were in a similar situation.”

What’s the situation? Tyre degradation on long/heavy fuel runs is all I could think of.

#50 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:32

Rain has come to save us again. :clap: :clap: