Photo

Brad Ward photos

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#1 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:02

In 1958 Brad Ward, a 22 year old New Zealand mechanic from Wanganui, left for the UK for his OE (overseas experience). In doing so, Brad was one of the first of a long line of Kiwi race mechanics.

Brad obtained a job at The Chequered Flag Engineering Limited and was soon Graham Warner's personal race mechanic with the responsibility of looking after the Lotus Elite LUV 1. Brad also was heavily involved with the construction and development of the first Gemini single seater Formula Juniors after Graham Warner had purchased Moorland in August 1959. Brad also was involved with the Standard Triumph running of a Triumph Herald Coupe at Nurburgring and later worked for John Sprinzel. Brad returned to New Zealand in 1963 and is now happily retired back in Wanganui.

Recently, I and another TNFer (Silicanz) acquired a Gemini Formula Junior from Dallas. During research related to this car (which we believe is the first "real" Gemini made) we came across Brad and he graciously provided all his old records and photographs. These photographs will be placed on TNF for all to enjoy and comment on. However they are protected by copyright.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:50

Faboulos shot , thanks very much , also the Brad story!!

#3 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:39

Great photograph! :love: :love:

How nice of Brad! :) And good on you for taking up the lead!

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 17:45

Excellent photograph...... especially as it shows the Scarabs; the more the better, and the expectation of FJ cars too.
Roger Lund.

#5 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 19:50

I have been trying to load more Brad Ward photos through Image Shack (including some great Formula Junior ones) but every time the up load at Image Shack appears to "time out" and the screen goes blank - any ideas what the problem could be - I am I trying too much resolution at 128?

#6 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 21:19

Another Photo taken by Brad Ward at the 1960 Monaco Formula Junior race. Like all of the Brad Ward photos they have never seen the light of day before.

[IMG]http://img125.images...opyrightmd1.jpg[/IMG]

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 22:26

For interest's sake, here are those drivers/cars that I can make out:

126 - Colin Davis, Osca
60 - Kurt Lincoln, Cooper B.M.C
142 - Jean Blanc, Cooper D.K.W with, next to it
84 - Tim Parnell, Lotus Ford 18
104 - Peter Ashdown, Lola Ford with, on its right
Peter Arundell's Lotus Ford 18.
The car with the 9 visible is Geoff Duke's Gemini.
Right at the front on the left we can see race winner Henry Taylor's Cooper B.M.C, #150.
The Lotus 18s of Jim Clark and Trevor Taylor are hidden on the front row.

If anyone has particular interest in these early Monaco F.3 races (I know this is O.T. but...) may I strongly recommend LES GRANDS PRIX de MONACO FORMULE 3 by Michel Delannoy (Editions Palmier).

French & English text and some unforgettable photos of some of the weirdest machines you are ever likely to see!

Lovely photos, by the way. Thanks, Mr. Hatrat, for showing them to us.

#8 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 22:41

Superb photos, so many of the names went onto great things as we know, but this photo was before my interest was awakened, however, so many of the drivers that Barry named, I watched race at Brands in many different cars.IIRC Peter Ashdown used to race a 26R? Is Geoff Duke the motorcycle Geoff Duke Barry? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the biker is the only one that I know of. Mighty impressed with your knowledge Barry, were you there per chance? :cat:

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 23:25

In the first photograph, I suspect that the chap to the left of the mechanic in orange overalls at the left rear of the no48 Scarab might be dear old Jenks, gathering the facts for us all.
Roger Lund

#10 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:08

Another in the Monaco Formula Junior theme from Brad Ward.

I suppose we should come out from behind our non de plumes. "Hatrat" is Roger Herrick and the research and custody of the photos is held with my good friend Nigel Russel who is on TNF as "Silicanza". We are both Auckland, New Zealand based FJ racers (I have a Lola Mk2 and a Taraschi) while Nigel has a FMZ, Emeryson Elfin and most of a Stanguellini. We have recently turned into "rivet counters" much to the disgust of our wives.

[IMG]http://img508.images...opyrightyi9.jpg[/IMG]

#11 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:19

Just to complete the picture, here is an interesting photo as it shows the previously vacant rear spot on the grid now filled with Lorenzo Bandini's Stanguellini #130. He is listed in most publications as a non-qualifier (he was the fastest of the non-qualifiers at 1' 57") but I presume one of the grid had a problem and he was a late call to the grid as "first reserve". Accordingly he is not on the grid in the driver's briefing shot but appears thereafter. The driver next to the Gemini ids the principal of Chequered Flag Graham Warner.

[IMG]http://img520.images...opyrightun9.jpg[/IMG]

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:02

Originally posted by Barry Boor
If anyone has particular interest in these early Monaco F.3 races (I know this is O.T. but...) may I strongly recommend LES GRANDS PRIX de MONACO FORMULE 3 by Michel Delannoy (Editions Palmier)

Does its grid layout agree with the photo, Barry?
Because the black book doesn't

But aren't they great photos :up:

Thanks to Roger, Nigel and Brad :wave:

#13 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:48

what fantastic photographs - thanks for sharing them

#14 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:44

The explanation of the presence of Bandini is logical. As stated he was the fastest non-qualifier. Oddly, the race result in the aforementioned book only reads down to 19th and does not mention Bandini, nor indeed Geoff Duke, Henri Grandsire or Ed Crawford. These seem to have been the earliest retirements.

Bandini makes the THIRD car on row 9, which suggests 23 starters not 22. A photo in the book shows rows 5 and 6, for which we do not have a colour picture but there is no-one missing from these rows. So, 23 it must have been.

The first of the two new posts show:

88 - Peter Jopp, Elva B.M.C
62 - Carl Otto Bremer, Elva-Mitter-D.K.W
58 - Manuel Bordeu, Stanguellini Fiat
The small white triangle on the car next to Warner's Gemini leads me to believe it is Richard Hanson's Elva D.K.W.
Back row left:
128 - Giovanni Alberti, Stanguellini Fiat
116 - Roberto Lippi, de Sanctis Fiat
and Bandini.

Where does this differ from Sheldon, David?

#15 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:48

...oh and, no, Sterling, I wasn't there. My first Monaco visit was two years away and my first Monaco Grand Prix, five.

All info comes from the super little book I mentioned earlier.

#16 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:59

Where does this differ from Sheldon, David?

The front two rows, Barry
F1R says Clark on pole with T Taylor and Ashdown alongside, then Arundell and H Taylor on Row 2
In the photo H Taylor and Ashdown have swapped places

The same F1R confirms Hanson as the bloke next to the Gemini

#17 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:11

I can't imagine why they got that wrong, David. Taylor's practice time was 1. 48, Ashdown's 1. 50'3.

There is no static picture of the front of the grid but there is one taken after about 50 yards. Taylor has already dropped behind the second row and a picture taken shortly after the Gasworks shows him behind Lincoln as well.

#18 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:13

A Brad Ward shot of a fellow Kiwi.

[IMG]http://img403.images...pyright1pc7.jpg[/IMG]

#19 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:20

And just to be fair to our Aussie neighbours across the ditch.

ht[IMG]http://img355.images...ghtsm5.jpgtp://[/IMG]

Advertisement

#20 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:08

I can't imagine why they got that wrong, David. Taylor's practice time was 1. 48, Ashdown's 1. 50'3.

That's what you think :)
According to the BB, Ashdown's was 1'48 and Taylor's 1'50.2 :confused:

#21 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 14:59

[timeout for David & Barry]

:love: :love: :love:

I simply can't get over the superb quality of those photographs!

Extremely well done, Brad Ward, and well done, Roger Herrick, for posting them here! :up: :up: :up:

[/timeout for David & Barry]

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 16:00

We'd finished thanks, Michael :)

I agree they're fabulous photos - the early B McLaren (1961?) is one of the best I've seen

#23 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 20:06

A paddock shot at an unknown venue with the Chequered Flag Elite LUV 1 and what appears to be the first of the Gemini Mk3 Formula Juniors.

[IMG]http://img230.images...dia0021asr3.jpg[/IMG]

#24 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 21:03

Actually, it's LOV 1 - but that's just being pedantic.

I tend to be more intereseted in that green thing at the back - I guess it's a 500 c.c. F.3 car of some sort.

#25 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 21:27

Actually, it's LOV 1 - but that's just being pedantic.

I tend to be more intereseted in that green thing at the back - I guess it's a 500 c.c. F.3 car of some sort.

What a great photo thread! And yes, the green thing is a puzzle...I present some clumsy Photoshopping.
Posted Image

#26 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 21:55

I reckon the green thing is the Saxon-DKW Junior

#27 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 22:00

Nice job, Davids. I tried this one:

Posted Image

#28 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 22:04

...and this:

Posted Image

Clearly Colin Davis thought timekeepers and spectators had poor eyesight!

#29 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 22:58

Graham Warner and Jim Clark next to LOV 1 (got it right this time). Thanks for the photoshop improvements - way beyond my skill level.

[IMG]http://img241.images...dia0023aiy1.jpg[/IMG]

#30 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 23:06

Fantastic photo, absolutely brilliant! Correct me if I am wrong, but would that be the old Brands pavillion in the background? It looks as though they are standing at just the 45degrees from the horizontal :lol: Looking at their attire, I would hazard a guess that it could be the Boxing Day Races, always a chilly affair, especially for the driver of the Wolseley 1500 just behind Jim, minus the rear screen (and I would guess the front one also).

#31 thunder427

thunder427

• 353 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:45

How about the Vanguard Estate, towing the DKW...............!! Try finding one of thoe today..!!

#32 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:46

Sterling, '59 Boxing day Brands it is, I believe. Elite 76 is shown in A/Sport as warner, although with the original reg 147 VMH?, last letter only partially seen. JC started unpractised from the rear of the grid and went on to dice with Warner, after catching leader Tallis in a Frazer Nash and Dickie Shepherd Barron, but lost it exiting Paddock bend - the old one, remember, notorious,- and went off into the bank hitting the rear of the Elite.

No info in the report for the F3 car, only Coopers, and 6 lines.

Roger Lund

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:15

Couldn't resist tinkering with this one, too!

Posted Image

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:52

Originally posted by bradbury west
No info in the report for the F3 car, only Coopers, and 6 lines.

If indeed it was the Saxon-DKW, as I believe, it would have been in the FJ race :)

#35 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:00

This will probably help. LOV 1 with it's original registration.

Posted Image By hatrat

#36 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:17

It is probably time Brad Ward made an appearance. Here he is on the way to a European meeting with a Gemini Mk2 in tow.

Posted Image

#37 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:53

Originally posted by hatrat
Thanks for the photoshop improvements - way beyond my skill level.

To be honest, hatrat, the colours in the first shots you posted are so fresh looking I thought you had already tinkered with them!

#38 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 13:00

Originally posted by sterling49
Mighty impressed with your knowledge Barry, were you there per chance? :cat: [/B]

The ways of race organisers are bewilderingly fickle. Bill de Selincourt had his entry refused for this Junior race on the grounds that he lacked experience. He'd finished 6th at the 'Ring and won at Cadours the year before and headed most of the entry at Boxing Day Brands. So regrettably Barry, I did not get there either but managed 1959 so made it 3 years before you.

#39 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 13:37

Fantastic photo, absolutely brilliant! the driver of the Wolseley 1500 just behind Jim, minus the rear screen (and I would guess the front one also).

The o/s roof looks as if it has been rolled. Off hand I can only think of 3 regular drivers of Riley 1.5s, as it would surely have been, in period- Les leston, Alan Hutcheson and Peter Pilsworth, the latter moving onto Rapiers. The rolled car looks to have "go-faster" stripes on it. Hutcheson's original VUV 390, which IIRC was rolled at some time, was a plain grey?.
No mention of the Saxon in the FJ race, and nothing in MS
Roger Lund

Advertisement

#40 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 14:29

Roger
May be, as quite often was the case, there was a dearth of laminated windscreens. The thinking was that you ran without a screen and, to prevent the balloon effect you took the rear window out giving a through draught.
John

#41 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 14:58

Originally posted by David McKinney
We'd finished thanks, Michael :)

Hey, I didn't want to stifle your discussion, please go on! :)

Oh, and btw, have I mentioned that I like those pictures?

Posted Image

:clap: :clap: :love: :clap:

#42 zoff2005

zoff2005

• 277 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 15:41

Superb photos, so many of the names went onto great things as we know, but this photo was before my interest was awakened, however, so many of the drivers that Barry named, I watched race at Brands in many different cars.IIRC Peter Ashdown used to race a 26R? Is Geoff Duke the motorcycle Geoff Duke Barry? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the biker is the only one that I know of. Mighty impressed with your knowledge Barry, were you there per chance? :cat:

Geoff Duke is the motorcycle one - he did quite a few car races including some with Aston Martin but retired after a big crash in a F1 Cooper somewhere in Scandinavia. I "interviewed" him a few years ago for a new edition of Yves Naquin's book on Monaco, to get his impressions on the Monaco FJ race he did in 1960. All I really remember him saying is that at the time he felt car racing was much more dangerous than motorcycle racing, and he rather gave it up for this reason.
These photos are really superb and the colours (even without Photoshop) really fresh. Those pink buildings are exactly that colour! And my apartment block is still being built in the background!
In the Clark/Elite photo, was it not at this Boxing Day Brands that he did his first single seat race in the Gemini?
All the best
Marcus

#43 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 17:17

Originally posted by hatrat
It is probably time Brad Ward made an appearance. Here he is on the way to a European meeting with a Gemini Mk2 in tow.

Posted Image

Fantastic atmosphere shot, France as I remember it in the early '60s, great excitement to nip across the channel! The Farnham Estate just like my uncle had :up:

Just a superb collection of photos!

#44 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 19:57

Another Brad Ward photo. I haven't got much idea of what it is - it just says "Snetterton F2" - believed to be around 1961 or 1962. An opportunity for TNF experts to work out what and who it is.

Posted Image

#45 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 20:16

I’ve checked the most likely Black Books and can’t find a race that ties in with the numbers, at Snetterton or anywhere else. So even though the cars all look like F2 Coopers, I suspect it’s a libre race.

The piping under the sidescreen was a Rob Walker feature, so I’m thinking No.69 might be the ex-Walker car which John Whitmore raced in 1960.

The driver of No.62 looks like Bruce Halford, who raced a car for John Fisher in 1960, but it could equally be someone else, whom I wouldn’t necessarily recognise. But the Fisher/Halford car was supposed to be an ex-works 1958 job, and the colours are pretty close to what Brabham ran then...

I’m pretty sure 65 will be the Tulip Stable car raced by Klaas ‘Jimmy’ Twisk, which was mentioned in contemporary reports as being green and orange

The seemingly unpainted No.71 might be Tim Parnell, who had an accident in 1960 and may not have got around to finishing the car after its rebuild.

I have to stress that all these are guesses. I should also point out that I first saw the photo a few days ago - I’m not clever enough to come up with this sort of response within minutes of first seeing the picture ;)

Anybody got programmes from 1960 Snetterton clubbies?

#46 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:20

Tinkered version:

Posted Image

#47 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:21

I notice that on cars 69 & 71 the exhaust is on the left, while on 62 it is a la T.45. What would that make the other two?

#48 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:35

David, I am intrigued by the different exhaust pipe positions. No programme, but looking through Autosport may point thus;
SMRC Spring Meeting 27th? March
Single seat racing cars. Won by Keith Greene in his Cooper Maserati, John Campbell-Jones 2nd in F2 Cooper after Twisk's motor went off in his Cooper, with Tony Marsh third. The photo shows Greene, whose number is not clear but could be 69, but the bulbous bodywork behind the driver's right shoulder looks the same as on car 69. The car seems to have a broad white centre panel on the nose/front section. Does this help?
The F Libre race was won by Brian Naylor, JBW, with Steve Ouvaroff second and Marsh third, both in Coopers.
Roger Lund.
edit. Barry came back with the point about the exhaust whilst I was checking A/Sports and typing.

#49 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:39

Don't you just LOVE these mysteries? :love:

#50 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 21:52

I have come to the conclusion, that I am so glad that Roger was not in the ASEMC Inter Motor Club quizzes, what chance would we have all had? :lol:

As the saying goes...."If anyone can......." :up: