Photo

F1 Review DVD 2008

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 13:58

I think its out today, ill be getting it soon. Just wondered if anyone else had it yet and if so what they thought about it? The last few have been monsterously long, the pole lap should be an extra feature if you ask me.

Advertisement

#2 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:00

http://www.amazon.co...28139942&sr=8-1

Answering part of my own question it is out today. I like the new artwork design and the title is pretty good too - 'Luck does not come into it'

#3 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:05

I think title is pretty horrible, unless it is meant to be ironic. Or I am missing something.

#4 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:17

mine is on order pity the format of the cover is not the same as all the previous ones :(

#5 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:18

Haven't got it yet but I will be looking out for it. In the last few years hasn't the pole lap been included as an extra feature or part of the main programme? As to length, I remember videos (Big square black thing with magnetic tape inside that we used to use before DVDs!!) of yore that were 58mins (long?) for an entire F1 season.
Great name. Possibly inspired by Bernie's comments (or was that EJ?)

Tony. :wave:

#6 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:20

Originally posted by wingwalker
I think title is pretty horrible, unless it is meant to be ironic. Or I am missing something.

Ive got it on pre-order as a Xmas gift from my relatives :)

People shouldn't confuse luck in the last race with luck over a season.

Would people say it was lucky had Lewis scraped a 5th at China and instead dominated in Brazil to win the title? I think not, yet the title result would be exactly the same. Hence the DVD title.

#7 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:35

Yeh the only shame is with the new design it wont fit with my collection of the past few years....ah well.

Recently the pole lap has been part of the main program and i think it is again.

Do you think they'll include the music videos for each race from the official website? Or will there be copyright issues....

#8 kar

kar

• 10,432 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:36

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor

Would people say it was lucky had Lewis scraped a 5th at China and instead dominated in Brazil to win the title? I think not, yet the title result would be exactly the same. Hence the DVD title.

I think he was lucky his chief competitor suffered so much at the hands of detonating machinery or pitlane buffoonery.

#9 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:39

Originally posted by Tenmantaylor

Would people say it was lucky had Lewis scraped a 5th at China and instead dominated in Brazil to win the title?

I have no idea, what I know that that's not what happened. Luck, and or lack of it, played a great role in 2008 season, both for Massa and Hamilton, from the very begining to the very end. You can "if" and "but" all you want but the fact is, it was a crazy, crazy WDC challenge, which I enjoyed immensely. But saying luck had nothing to do with it? C'mon. It had, it often does in sports. Which doesn't make Hamilton WDC any less worthy, it's all part of the game.

#10 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:44

Before this turns into a debate about luck rather than the DVD I thought id say i liked the title just because it doesnt sound as lame as 'fantastic fernando' or 'kimi-made it at last'.

Its a shame the pole lap as part of the main coverage seemed to come at the cost of anything about the launch season and events in practice...

#11 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:48

Originally posted by Trebor152
Before this turns into a debate about luck rather than the DVD I thought id say i liked the title just because it doesnt sound as lame as 'fantastic fernando' or 'kimi-made it at last'.

Its a shame the pole lap as part of the main coverage seemed to come at the cost of anything about the launch season and events in practice...

"2006 Once again" now that was a title though up by someone who gave it almost no thought at all!!!

#12 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 14:58

LH and FM had good and bad luck all the way through the season-if LH wouldnt have hit the barrier in monaco and the safety car come out negating the loss of time from his early stop,he may not have won,but equally had FM not had that terrible pitstop in singapore,he may have picked up a big helping of points,so in that respect luck doesnt come into it,as they both had their fair share of good and bad luck tbh

#13 Blythy

Blythy

• 960 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:00

Hmm... not made by duke?

It's published by 2entertain, which is usually a bbc output. They publish a couple of things like clarksons dvd which isn't bbc, but practically is.

#14 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:08

I am sure duke still have some sort of involvment they still say its one of there dvd's on there site.

#15 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:16

Originally posted by Blythy
Hmm... not made by duke?

Not such a bad thing.

The Duke commentator is soooo wooden...

He has about 3 lines.

"river X is fast... But Driver Y is Faster"
"But Wait"

Suddenly James Allen doesn't seem so bad!!!!

#16 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:32

Originally posted by Mika Mika

The commentator for the past few years has been Ben Edwards for the DVDs....

#17 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:41

he presumably gets told to say 'pit-pause-stop' then,as he normally when commentating (like others) says it basically as 1 word

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 15:43

far as i can see, none of the *ahem* unoffical distributers have it...

some interesting season reviews about tho ;)

#19 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 17:27

Ohh Mine just arrived watching it now...

Advertisement

#20 sensible

sensible

• 1,910 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 17:56

Originally posted by stevvy1986
LH and FM had good and bad luck all the way through the season-if LH wouldnt have hit the barrier in monaco and the safety car come out negating the loss of time from his early stop,he may not have won,but equally had FM not had that terrible pitstop in singapore,he may have picked up a big helping of points,so in that respect luck doesnt come into it,as they both had their fair share of good and bad luck tbh

Both your examples favour LH so I'm not exactly sure what your point was. BTW Hitting the barrier was nothing to do with luck, it was lack of skill. (similarily the pit-stop c-uk was not luck it was lack of skill on the part of ferrari pit crew)

#21 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 18:05

Originally posted by D.M.N.

The commentator for the past few years has been Ben Edwards for the DVDs....

The king of feigning surprise! Last years season review had a brilliant moment leading up to Kubica's crash in Montreal. Obviously Ben records the commentary well after the events, but it had me in hysterics.

"Oh no! Kubica has crashed! This looks nasty!"

Someone tell me they've got rid of the soft-rock music that they play in the background as well? I'll have to wait for Christmas before watching my copy.

#22 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 18:12

Originally posted by sensible

Both your examples favour LH so I'm not exactly sure what your point was. BTW Hitting the barrier was nothing to do with luck, it was lack of skill

hitting the barrier and being able to change onto the ideal strategy so he could pit at the right time for the conditions,and having the time lost through the early stop being negated by a safety car did help him n was good luck in that respect-had he not hit the barrier in the first place,he may not have won (on another day he'd have retired when hitting that barrier)

#23 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 18:48

I'm at Monaco there are plenty of little extrs that we didnt see on TV so far...

#24 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 19:00

This sleeve fits far better into your collection than 1997 did.

#25 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 19:20

Not such a bad thing.

He has about 3 lines.

"river X is fast... But Driver Y is Faster"
"But Wait"

Suddenly James Allen doesn't seem so bad!!!!

It has nothing to do with Duke. Duke is just distributor of FOM DVD.

However, I hate this wooden style of commentary. 2001 was just amazing!!!!

But... I didn't know it is Ben Edwards! Ben is just amazing at A1GP so I believe it has to do with Ben being excelent in live commentary while not in reading the commentary!

Looking forward for the DVD though, having my player ready!

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 19:53

Originally posted by sensible

Both your examples favour LH so I'm not exactly sure what your point was. BTW Hitting the barrier was nothing to do with luck, it was lack of skill. (similarily the pit-stop c-uk was not luck it was lack of skill on the part of ferrari pit crew)

You're reading too much into this. In the last two laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix, if it hadn't rained harder, Massa would've been World Champion. It did start raining harder, and Hamilton was.

#27 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 19:57

For me, the DVD's dont hold a candle to the videos, i have the 98 and 99 VHS reviews and they are packed with

stuff, pre season, the end of the previous season, and they show the build up to races, the race, then they

break it down and go over various incidents in the race, THEN move onto the net race, and if events take place

during grands prix, they show them too, court proceedings etc. Behind the scenes in the paddock/pits and

everything too, i just dont think they try as hard anymore.

#28 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,795 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 00:52

I found 94 and 95 even better again. Those two worked well, and they didn't pretend it was live! The review video was a simple case of reporting what happened during the race.

Not too mention all the music back in the 90's reviews had a bit more class to it, and the music was only between races and not during them.

#29 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 00:59

Yeah, the pretending it is live stuff is really annoying.

The DVD's are also far too long, dull, tedious and full of trivial little things.

The videos were great. 90-120 minutes is about right for a review. Just show me the racing action, no fancy music in the background, no pretending it is live, no "never before seen" interview with Vijay Mallya.

I'll still get it of course, to keep the collection complete. :(

I'm also surprised they haven't got Jonathan Ross back in to do the season review commentary, he can't be too busy with anything else right now.;)

#30 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:07

dont think ive ever bothered to watch a season review tbh, but its probably quite hard to commentate on edited highlights awhile after the event :/

even saul williams might sound abit wooden :x

#31 rage2

rage2

• 224 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:20

Looks like Dec 16 for NTSC version...

#32 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:46

99 was my favourite, always loved the little montage of the previous season at the begining and then of that season at the end. Have to agree they've gotten too long, with lots of uninteresting crap. Anyone seen 08 then? Is it any good?

#33 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:53

Originally posted by Trebor152
99 was my favourite, always loved the little montage of the previous season at the begining and then of that season at the end. Have to agree they've gotten too long, with lots of uninteresting crap. Anyone seen 08 then? Is it any good?

Yea I think it's good. It is on 2 DVD however - with a split/change disk after Silverstone.
Same Commentator as before.

Lots of interesting bits in it. some in car footage that would have been good to see before, for example Kimi running into the back of Heikki at turkey and in cars form both Hamiltons and Sebastian at the France GP. In Car radio from Alonso at silverstone was very cool too..

#34 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:34

Yea I think it's good. It is on 2 DVD however - with a split/change disk after Silverstone.
Same Commentator as before.

Lots of interesting bits in it. some in car footage that would have been good to see before, for example Kimi running into the back of Heikki at turkey and in cars form both Hamiltons and Sebastian at the France GP. In Car radio from Alonso at silverstone was very cool too..

Mika Mika

How is the quality of the disc itself? I have lots of dvds from 2entertain (ie the entire Red Dwarf collection) and they are somewhat prone to skipping and jumping really quite quickly!
Any sign of Coulthard's helmet cam from Brazil for more than just two seconds in the first corner?!

#35 sensible

sensible

• 1,910 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 17:13

Originally posted by stevvy1986

hitting the barrier and being able to change onto the ideal strategy so he could pit at the right time for the conditions,and having the time lost through the early stop being negated by a safety car did help him n was good luck in that respect-had he not hit the barrier in the first place,he may not have won (on another day he'd have retired when hitting that barrier)

Huh? I still dont get your post. You say luck evens out (I think) and then provide two examples where it favoured Hamilton. And that is because that is teh case. If there was luck involved, then it definitely favoured Hamilton. Not that that changes anything. You still have to be there and score the points.

#36 sensible

sensible

• 1,910 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 17:14

Originally posted by Risil

You're reading too much into this. In the last two laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix, if it hadn't rained harder, Massa would've been World Champion. It did start raining harder, and Hamilton was.

I agreee with you, but I was just pointimg out that most things which are put down to luck are really down to good/poor performance somewhere along the line.

#37 Welsh

Welsh

• 600 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 18:31

Anyone watched the season review with the unfunny bloke and woman back in the 1980s?

God it was awful to listen to........

#38 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,752 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:34

Originally posted by Tony Mandara

Mika Mika

How is the quality of the disc itself? I have lots of dvds from 2entertain (ie the entire Red Dwarf collection) and they are somewhat prone to skipping and jumping really quite quickly!
Any sign of Coulthard's helmet cam from Brazil for more than just two seconds in the first corner?!

Not got that far yet just finished watching Monza...

Quality is excellent.

#39 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 23:17

Is the DVD widescreen?

Advertisement

#40 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 23:19

Originally posted by Welsh
Anyone watched the season review with the unfunny bloke and woman back in the 1980s?

God it was awful to listen to........

1983. *shudder*

#41 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 1,108 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:17

Originally posted by Knowlesy

1983. *shudder*

Brian Kriesky I believe. "Mauro Baldi, we told him to stop smoking, but does he listen, no of course he doesn't, look at that Alfa smoke." Yeh, he was a bit over the top...

#42 LukeM

LukeM

• 966 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:01

dont know how many of you have the 95 season review on tape but man that was GOLDEN. 3 hours PACKED with so much stuff and detailed analysis with all the dramas on the side. Wish they made it like that :(

#43 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:08

Review on F1 Fanatic: http://www.f1fanatic...t-come-into-it/

Keith gives it 5/5

#44 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:39

Anyone know if it's possible to download season reviews? LEAGALLY
I used to have a large collection on video, but they got ruined when builders stripped the roof in November and then went on holiday for two weeks. The bloody idiots! :mad:

Edited to avoid unnecessary accusations!

#45 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:43

I'd imagine discussing where you could find pirate copies online won't go too far on these forums!

There are always previous copies available on eBay. Tried looking on there?

#46 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:54

Originally posted by dank
I'd imagine discussing where you could find pirate copies online won't go too far on these forums!

There are always previous copies available on eBay. Tried looking on there?

I wasn't talking about Pirate copies! Some people do actually pay for downloads!!! :clap:

I tried looking on the official site, which turned out to be as much use as a chocolate teapot! :(

I sit at a computer 5 days a week, of course I looked on ebay, without any luck. ):

Guess I'll just keep trying! :rolleyes:

Dank u.

Edit : Never mind.I Found some.

#47 Trebor152

Trebor152

• 148 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 14:02

Im watching this DVD for the first time and im really dissapointed.

Its very bland indeed and if i want to watch it from start to finish I have to endure 18 qualifying laps, that is SO an extra feature! This also seems to come at the sacrifice of detailing the events of practice sessions or any kind of pre-season build up. As an example there is absolutely no mention of Massa's Silverstone practice crash, this was deemed to be a key event in his under performance that weekend. Also I often thing that the onboard views are at times over used, for example in Bahrain the start is shown exclusively from Hamiltons onboard. This means that we never see that Massa took the lead at the start or that there was a minor incident further down the field. Other incidents seem to have been excluded entirely, such as Piquet's spin on lap 1 in Brazil [even if there isnt footage a car in the wall is more interesting to look at than another bloody qualifying lap]. The DVD is horribly biased as well towards Max and Bernie. All the interviews shown from drivers and team managers talking about Valencia are of them saying how it is a fantastic venue in an exotic location. The fact is the prevailing consensus was that it was a massive dissapointment and just a crap track in a container port! Not even a mention of spank-gate either. The whole thing is just presented in this soulless corporate stlye that I cant stand, its such a shame as well because over time you forget about these races and alot of them were great, i just feel as if this is a really poor effort at recalling them.

Anyone else get it for christmas???

#48 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 15:05

IMO it is to usual standards. No real surprises. I go with Trebor152 that the quali laps should have been in the extra menu and that Mosley-gate should at least have had one mention, but it didn't. Overall it contained some spectacular footages though from new, innovative camera points as did the 2008 TV coverage. Thumbs up for that, but I rate it not above most other annual reviews. It's good, but not outstanding. Pretty clinical and not meant for surprises nowadays I think.

#49 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 15:09

http://www.radiolemans.com/
ull like their season review far more then i thinks :)

#50 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 15:12

Originally posted by PLAYLIFE

Brian Kriesky I believe. "Mauro Baldi, we told him to stop smoking, but does he listen, no of course he doesn't, look at that Alfa smoke." Yeh, he was a bit over the top...

Actually I never finished watching that one, because of it. Too annoying, those responsible for it are probably in their seventies or eighties. The crime has aged, but this was utter utter crap.