• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy27

Speedy27

• 245 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:55

posted on behalf of Dr Greg Mills from South Africa :

Dear All

I am very sorry to inform you that the Zimbabwean Formula One driver Sam Tingle passed away peacefully in Cape Town this morning, aged 87.

Sam was one of the last of the Formula One privateers. He started his motorsport career immediately after the war in hillclimbs in South Africa, moving to Southern Rhodesia in 1950 and progressing through various MGs to ERA RB12B in 1956 to the ex-Johnny Claes/Dick Gibson Connaught the following year. Rhodesian champion in 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963 and 1964, he drove in seven South African Grands Prix, with a best place finish of eighth in his LDS-Alfa in 1961 and in again the ex-Denny Hulme Brabham BT24/2-Repco in 1969 in World Championship events, and fifth in his LDS-Climax in the 1966 non-championship race. With team-mate John Love, he made up Team Gunston from the end of 1967, their burgundy and gold livery at a stroke forever changing the face of international motorsport..

Sam retired from active competition following a bad accident at Killarney in Cape Town in January 1970 when his Brabham’s throttle stuck open, but remained involved, being instrumental in the construction of the Donnybrook track in Harare in the mid-1970s. He continued to participate in classic rallies in his two WO Bentleys into the 21st century, and participated in the rebuilt Brabham at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2001.

We collaborated on his biography in 2006. It was a pleasure to work with him in the production of ‘Love First, Tingle Second’ just as I suspect it was a similar experience to race alongside him all those years ago. Despite the 40-odd year age gap, a mischievous twinkle at the ready, Sam connected easily across generations, a mine of information and anecdotes about an earlier, refreshingly less complicated age.

Murray Walker wrote of five-time World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio that “Out of the car he was calm and courteous, a unique blend of charm, humility and tough acumen.” These words more than adequately describe Sam Tingle’s approach to life. He was the true gentleman and always the sportsman, and will be sorely missed.

Our sincere condolences go out to his wife of 54 years Mary, children Ann, Jeanne, David and John, and eight grandchildren.

All best

Greg Mills

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:18

One of THE great names of Southern African motor racing. Thanks for all the memories, Sam. You were a true gentleman!!!

#3 alfredaustria

alfredaustria

• 300 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:35

Sad news. I enjoyed reading the book "Love first, Tingle second". A very sympathic man.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:07

Albeit in sad circumstances, it gives me the chance once again to recommend the Gary Kegel/Brian Bennet book Sunset on Kyalami, 1961 - 1971, which features a vast array of photographs with the history of Kyalami '61 to '71, and includes several colour shots of Sam Tingle and his cars. A man with a fine record and reputation.
Roger Lund

#5 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 14:37

Oh, this is such a shame. :cry:

Such a nice chap too - but at least his name will live on through his grandson, also Sam Tingle, who is doing rather well in lower formulae the last I heard.

#6 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 19:24

RIP :cry:

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 20:59

Very sorry indeed to hear this sad news. Sam and Mary were charm personified, and it was particularly moving to hear them talk of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, and of what was befalling their people there.

DCN

#8 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:57

Many years ago I wrote to Sam Tingle asking if he had any programmes (photocopies) of races held in what was then Rhodesia; a land of milk and honey. Imagine my surprise when a large parcel arrived in which were photocopies of Sam's entire scrapbook! He was obviously a great enthusiast and a generous man to boot.

Doug refers to the sad state of Zimbabwe - my elder sister lived in Harare for a while and she said what a wonderful place it once was. Again, a while back, I had a long telephone conversation with Gordon Mackenzie, another racer from Zim, and his pessimistic prediction for Zimbabwe turned out to be depressingly correct.

#9 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 18:28

Sam was one of the racing personalities I had the most respect for as a wonderful human being AND a driver of considerable ability.

Robert Young

#10 idrive

idrive

• 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 14:16

I had a soft spot for Mr Tingle. He was always Mr Tingle to me!

His grandson, also Sam, won the South African Junior Rok kart championship and Sam was at Killarney to watch him earlier in the year.

He also had a Repco engine on display engine in his house in Zim about 20 years ago.

#11 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 15:30

Sam's memorial service will be tomorrow (29 Dec) at 11h00. Christ Church, c/o Helderberg and Stellenbosch Rd, Somerset West, ZA

#12 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 655 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 00:26

Here are some photos to pay tribute to Sam, courtesy of his lovely wife Mary:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image