• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 18:16

I've just received this sad communiqué from my old pal Robin Bradford;

"TNF needs a thread to record the fact that Jackie Epstein died on Wednesday, aged (I would think) 74. As I said to you before, I really can't start posting as I would do so endlessly (and simply do not have the time to do so), but Eppers needs to be remembered. When I started work as the MCD Press Officer at Brands Hatch in my mid-20s in 1974, I was truly privileged to be surrounded by John and Angela Webb, Jackie, Brian Jones, Lanfranchi, Marshall and Whizzo among others . . . you couldn't pay for those friendships, the willingness with which they were willing to take a somewhat raw youth into their midst, or the incredible amount of knowledge gained. And I have been very sad for the last couple of days . . ."

Due mainly to my age, I always associate Jackie with being a very successful F5000 entrant - but that represents a mere portion of his contribution to motor racing.

Sad news.

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 18:49

Just found the BRDC notification. Very, very sad - son of sculptor Sir Jacob, somewhat unconventional childhood, then garagiste, owner-driver, team principal - well respected - a great enthusiast.

DCN

#3 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 18:52

Sad news, Twinny. Being even older than you, my main recollection is of his Lola T70, shared with Paul Hawkins. Born 12/09/1934
Some Epstein family history here

http://epstein.3form...ie_Epstein.aspx
http://epstein.3forming.com/Family/

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 18:59

How very sad.

I was always impressed that he was so obviously involved with his team and their preparations - always terrifically visible and "hands-on" as they say these days.

God bless him.

If nothing else, he'll be enjoying a pint with Hawkeye, Mike the Bike, Mr Lanfranchi and various others.

Is it possible to get "banned" from heaven? (Always assuming of course they are there and not somewhere else!)

#5 fivestar

fivestar

• 334 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 23:57

A great pity and another opportunity lost. I had just initiated a correspondence with him regarding his early racing days [1954] in an Alta EVG436/the ex Cowell/Heath EOY8.

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 00:08

He was one of the 'stars' in the first 12-hour race at Surfers... and came back again, I feel sure...

Such people passing is becoming all too regular an event, but we have to recognise that time is catching up all the while. My condolences to anyone who knew him and is reading this thread.

#7 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:26

Sad to hear , he was one I was just about to contact .

1966 :Epstein Enterprises Limited , North Holmwood , Surrey

JE started racing in 1953 and untill 1962 raced MG's , 2l.Alta ,Frazer Nash ,Jaguar and a Pegasus. From 1962 used a Cooper Intercontinental. For 1963 formed Epstein-Eyre Racing Team with Mike Eyre racing Cooper Monaco and Cooper Buick. In 1964 this team used a F1 BRM and a Brabham BT8. For 1965 only as Epstein Enterprises he had an F2 Brabham and a 275LM Ferrari as well as a Lola T70. Team driver Epstein and Paul Hawkins.

#8 fivestar

fivestar

• 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:36

An interesting fact about Brands Hatch and Jackie Epstein which I have just come across. The Alta in question belonged I believe to Sir John Onslow.
Mike [5*]

"In 1954 racing was run clockwise so that Paddock Hill Bend became a daunting, downhill sweeping right-hander that was to become the stuff of legends and the circuit was widened by 5ft to 35ft. Although most races were still run for the 500’s, bigger cars began to share the circuit. First small and medium capacity sports machinery and then out and out Formule Libre cars.

The first winner on the new circuit is in a sprint, not a race - taking fastest time of the day was 19-year old Jackie Epstein, in a borrowed 2-litre Alta sports car."

#9 Ivan A

Ivan A

• 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:23

As an irregular logger I nearly missed this important thread.
Jackie was of immesurable help when I was researching the story of Paul Hawkins - prepared to share so many stories of his Targa exploits with a mere enthusiast. I am honoured he was prepared to do so. To quote a certain Irish comic 'And may your God go with you.'
Ivan McLeod

#10 fivestar

fivestar

• 334 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:29

hi Bjorn,

When did Jackie start racing in 1953, the first race i can find for him was at Goodwood on 27th March 1954 driving an Alta in which he placed 4th.
rgds - mike [5*]

#11 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:36

Hi fivestar , sorry for the late reply. I had my infos from the small long out of print book Motor Racing Team Colours & Markings form MAP by John Baxter , and the exact text is "From 1953,when he started racing, untill 1962"......, I guess that means he started in 1953. I am aware that infos can be wrong , but untill being corrected they should count ?

#12 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:56

Sad news, indeed.

In the memory of a 14-year-old boy, Jackie Epstein is for ever the driver who shared that beutiful Lola T70MkIII with Paul Hawkins in the 1967 1000 Km of Spa-Francorchamps, finishing 4th overall starting from the second row. Possibly Hawkins drove the great part of the race, the young boy did not know.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 11 May 2009 - 07:57.

#13 richie

richie

• 444 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 21:49

As an irregular logger I nearly missed this important thread.
Jackie was of immesurable help when I was researching the story of Paul Hawkins - prepared to share so many stories of his Targa exploits with a mere enthusiast. I am honoured he was prepared to do so. To quote a certain Irish comic 'And may your God go with you.'
Ivan McLeod

I need to contact his family about his involvement in Trojan in 1971. Do his family still live in North Holmwood?

#14 fivestar

fivestar

• 334 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 23:19

I need to contact his family about his involvement in Trojan in 1971. Do his family still live in North Holmwood?

The address I had for him was in Spain.