Photo

First visit to a NASCAR event - what to do?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cutting42

cutting42

• 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 20:50

Hi All

I am a long time lurker and this is my first post so be gentle please.

I am mainly an F1 devotee but work in the US quite a lot and will be in Virginia over the weekend 21st/22nd March. Bristol Raceway is not too far from where I will be and I am considering visiting to watch me some NASCAR. Now I have to fly out Sunday eve and was wondering if I could get a good feel for NASCAR by watching the Sprint qualifying and Nationwide 300 race on the Saturday where I would have pretty much most of the day to dedicate. OR, should I go and see the main Sprint event on Sunday but have to leave early to catch a flight also bearing in mind not much is timetabled for the Sunday except the race starting at 2pm.

My feeling is to go for the Saturday but I have a small nagging feeling that I would be missing the full on effect of the Sprint. Can any NASCAR fans out there help me with opinions and views and also hints on getting there and what I might need to take with me?

Cheers

Gareth

Advertisement

#2 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,610 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:30

Well, I've never been there, so you'll have to take my advice with a shaker of salt. Sprint Cup races at Bristol regularly pull in sell-out crowds of somewhere around 140,000 people. I don't know if it's even possible to get a ticket for the race, but if you can, you'd probably have to leave really early to beat even the "beat the traffic" crowd. Also, keep in mind that if it rains on Sunday you're screwed.

If I were in your position I'd just as soon go Saturday. There are lots of Sprint Cup guys racing in the Nationwide Series anyway, the cars are similar to the old Cup cars, the traffic and crowds will be less imposing, you won't be scrambling to get to the airport, the ticket will cost less, and a rain delay won't completely wreck your plans unless they are forced to run the 300 on Monday. The downside of it is that you won't quite get the full NASCAR experience, but the gap between Cup and Nationwide isn't as great as the gap between F1 and GP2.

#3 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:25

A year ago this past weekend I attended my first Nascar race at Las Vegas Speedway.

In answer to your question, I would go on Saturday and watch both the Cup qualifying and the Nationwide race. That will give you a good taste for Nascar/Stockcar racing.

Last year I did that plus I watched the Cup race on Sunday and after 20 laps or so it felt like I was watching the Cup qualifying all over again due to the single file racing. It actually started to get boring after a while.

Hope that helps. :)

#4 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,256 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:47

They have been advertising Bristol Tickets on Speed Channel. It might be a marketing ploy to beat the low economy however getting tickets might be easier this year.

You will have a great day either way you go, I too have been working in the US and have been to 3 events 2 at Fontana and 1 at Martinsville in the last 15 months. I loved the short track for its intimacy and just the whole vibe around the track. I am not sure what sort of entertainment they will have track side but you would use a whole day easily to get everything in, the amount of team stalls to browse and major sponsor stands to visit are pretty cool.

I would look at the online ticketing to see if there indeed are tickets available for Sunday also do a search online for the best seating at Bristol although I would think because of the size of the track nearly everywhere will be fine but if you have choice and budget it can really make it a better experience come the race.

In terms of which one unless you really follow the sport and have a specific driver or team you want to watch there wont be much difference in the experience between Sprint and Nationwide (the Trucks are awesome to watch as well). I don't know if I could just leave early, could you not delay your flight (through any sort of excuse maybe?).

As to getting there if you have a rental and take the Nav package when you buy your tickets you should get Parking info and good directions, at both tracks I went too there was very good traffic control and signage was excellent I have had no hassle getting in, getting out wasn't really a hassle either but I don't know what major roads are near Bristol.

As to what to take, look at the guidance online, I am sure the no backpacks rule is still in use but you can take a small bag or a clear plastic one of a certain size. Camera's etc are fine, you will go through security so just try to play by the rules less a trip back to the car. If its cool of course take some cold weather kit. Go in light if your a buyer of race gear/souvenirs as you can get all the fan gear at the track and the cost isn't as high as some other major events I have been too.

If you choose Sunday or look at renting a scanner for the day, I am that sort of guy who likes to listen to the incar and and commentary which with so much going on in race can really enhance you awareness of what is going on.

I went by myself twice and I ended up talking with several people around me both times the crowds at NASCAR are just down to earth with the odd extremely drunk larikin, but everyone I met were really friendly and polite, you will have a great time.

#5 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:48

I'd be very surprised if you could get Sprint Cup tickets to Bristol for less than hundreds of dollars.

My advice is:

wear lots of sunscreen
bring ear plugs
wear a hat
wear quality sunglasses
don't drink alcohol
drink lots of hydrating beverages
rent a scanner or whatever other technological doodads they offer
leave any preconceived notions about NASCAR fans behind

#6 cutting42

cutting42

• 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:33

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice, very useful. I think the Saturday is the way to go and I will have a rental car so transport is sorted. I checked tickets online and the Sprint race was just under one hundred bucks in the Jr Johnson stand, not too bad IMO. The Saturday was only 50 bucks in the Allinsons so will prob go for that one. Thanks OLB for the practical advice, just what I was after.

Cheers

Gareth

#7 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 3,064 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:42

Bring a bright neon coloured cap...

Only playing but someone had to say something like that.

Have a good time.

#8 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 13:27

Given the economy, and the fact that a lot of people choose the fall night race over the spring race at Bristol, aftermarket tickets for the Cup race are fairly cheap--here is one for both days for $98. If your feeling really lucky, but tickets day of race from a scalper. They are going to be unloading.

Stubhub

One thing to add, I saw a couple of posts about sunblock et al, which could hold true. However, Bristol is in the middle of the Appalachian mountains, and has had snow delays in the not so recent past. So bring warm clothes as well.

#9 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 14:34

my advise, based on my own experience:

Buy earplugs and a headset to cover your ears
Use both at the same time simultaneously.
And take along a load of aspirines.
Those droning bellowing V8's will cause a headache you won't forget for the rest of your live anymore.
And if it is hot and sunny that will become even worse.

Don't worry, you will hear them loud enough despite all that eardrum protection....
And using them enables you to still enjoy listening to music in the years to come....

other than that, Officelinebacker has said it all.

Henri

#10 BMW_F1

BMW_F1

• 7,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 14:51

With the absence of the Montreal GP this year and the possibility of Montoya racing in the Nationwide race there later this summer, I am almost 100 percent certain that I will be there attending my first ever NASCAR race.
I love that circuit and the atmosphere in Montreal - I only missed attending one GP since 2004.
My heart gets broken when I think about it as I still can't believe there won't be Formula 1 in Montreal any longer. :(

#11 cutting42

cutting42

• 35 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 17:36

Yikes, just looking at more detail on Stubhub and tickets for Saturday are down to $17, can't imagine spending the equivalent of £12 on a National race series in the UK.

Think I will stay local (within 1 hr drive), any hints on good places to stay?

Again thanks for the great advice so far.

Cheers

Gareth

#12 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,009 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 19:08

Beyond the good operational points, it's worth getting there early if possible to take in all the stuff outside the track--things like free photos provided with show cars; great people-watching, not-healthy food; not-healthy tasty food, all the shirts and hats for sale (you'd be a rare one in your home country w. a Montoya Nascar hat or shirt), samples from sponsors, etc., etc., etc. I still have powdered antacid samples from Talladega about 10 months ago. It's part of the experience.

#13 Josta

Josta

• 2,237 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 19:45

Buy a big red pickup truck, change your name to Hank, and sleep with your sister :)

#14 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 19:50

Originally posted by Josta
Buy a big red pickup truck, change your name to Hank, and sleep with your sister :)

lol, seriously though, can't go wrong with Bristol, it's madness but it's definitely a hell of a show..

Originally posted by BMW_F1
With the absence of the Montreal GP this year and the possibility of Montoya racing in the Nationwide race there later this summer, I am almost 100 percent certain that I will be there attending my first ever NASCAR race.
I love that circuit and the atmosphere in Montreal - I only missed attending one GP since 2004.
My heart gets broken when I think about it as I still can't believe there won't be Formula 1 in Montreal any longer. :(

A1GP wants to have it's finale on the island... hardly a replacement for F1 but I'd go watch just for the heck of it..

..sorry for quick hi-jack :)

#15 jdanton

jdanton

• 775 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 13:17

Originally posted by cutting42
Yikes, just looking at more detail on Stubhub and tickets for Saturday are down to $17, can't imagine spending the equivalent of £12 on a National race series in the UK.

Think I will stay local (within 1 hr drive), any hints on good places to stay?

Again thanks for the great advice so far.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

I recommend Boone NC for lodging--its a bit over an hour away (59 miles), but there is hotel availability, and it's a cool college mountain town. There are decent places to eat and drink at night. Rooms seem to be going for about $100--I've been there on Bristol weekend (for bicycle races) and some of the crews stay there.

#16 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 13:55

We went to Talledega last year (in the chase) - and it was absolutely brilliant!

Whoever is next to you will ask who you support - we just follow the series and don't really "support" any one driver... This does not compute with the locals :lol:

The chap next to my partner must have asked her who we support about every 10 min through the race, and as he was working his way through about 12 beers from his cooler there wasn't any stopping him asking :stoned:

We realised aftrwards we should have just said "Dayalll Eearndhaaart" and that would have satisfied him.
About 99% of the Talledaga crowd seemed to be in love with Dale E :love:

It was great. Would do it again in an instant.

#17 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 19:32

does bristol have the infield camper/winnebago thing going on? heard thats fun... ive actully only been to a handful of races and nothing particulary big, but if you get the oppertunity walk the track, thats pretty cool :)

http://www.dreamhtpc...ay/index14.html

thats some pics i took on a trackwalk :)

#18 metz

metz

• 15,856 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 20:04

Originally posted by cutting42
Hi All

I am a long time lurker and this is my first post so be gentle please.

I am mainly an F1 devotee but work in the US quite a lot and will be in Virginia over the weekend 21st/22nd March. Bristol Raceway is not too far from where I will be and I am considering visiting to watch me some NASCAR. Now I have to fly out Sunday eve and was wondering if I could get a good feel for NASCAR by watching the Sprint qualifying and Nationwide 300 race on the Saturday where I would have pretty much most of the day to dedicate. OR, should I go and see the main Sprint event on Sunday but have to leave early to catch a flight also bearing in mind not much is timetabled for the Sunday except the race starting at 2pm.

My feeling is to go for the Saturday but I have a small nagging feeling that I would be missing the full on effect of the Sprint. Can any NASCAR fans out there help me with opinions and views and also hints on getting there and what I might need to take with me?

Cheers

Gareth

Advice?
Cancel your flight... :smoking:

#19 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 20:32

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
my advise, based on my own experience:

Buy earplugs and a headset to cover your ears
Use both at the same time simultaneously.
And take along a load of aspirines.
Those droning bellowing V8's will cause a headache you won't forget for the rest of your live anymore.
And if it is hot and sunny that will become even worse.

Don't worry, you will hear them loud enough despite all that eardrum protection....
And using them enables you to still enjoy listening to music in the years to come....

other than that, Officelinebacker has said it all.

Henri

My only experience with NASCAR is I once saw a "demo" run by just one stocker on the Indianapolis Raceway Park oval a few years ago. That thing was loud.

Advertisement

#20 Ben

Ben

• 3,186 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 21:27

Originally posted by BMW_F1

Surely you'll be going to an ALMS race to support BMW right :-)

Ben

#21 Georg_Kuyumji

Georg_Kuyumji

• 664 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 22:28

Ah I think I wouldnt want to miss the Cup Race, not only Nationwide, Nationwide is like what GP2 is to F1. In the Cup Race you will see Dale Jr, Montoya, Scott Speed, etc. the whole Show surrounding the race will be much bigger, more people etc.

Here is a Bristol ad from a few years ago. Click on High Quality and full screen

#22 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:24

Originally posted by Josta

Originally posted by metz

Advice?
Cancel your flight... :smoking:

Surely there must be an ALMS race somewhere that you could go to? Mazda series? Grand Am? Montery Historic races?

Anything other than 4 left turns

#23 red stick

red stick

• 14,059 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:43

Originally posted by GerardF1
Surely there must be an ALMS race somewhere that you could go to? Mazda series? Grand Am? Monterey Historic races?

Anything other than 4 left turns

Man knows what he wants to see. Bristol's an event. And more like two left hand turns.