Crowthorne Corner, Kyalami

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2001 - 14:11

Can anyone shed any light on the origins of the name of Crowthorne Corner at Kyalami? I grew up in Crowthorne, Berkshire and have always wondered .... Berkshire is an awful long way from South Africa!

Advertisement

#2 Jonathan Merry

Jonathan Merry

• 46 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 21:26

I can't say this is the defacto reason behind the name of Crowthorne corner, but that corner points in the general direction of a suburb called Crowthorne which is about 1km from Kyalami.
That would seem to me the only reason for naming it crowthorne.
By the same reasoning I would guess that the Jukskei sweep was named after the Jukskei river which runs past Kyalami to the south. Sunset bend faces into the setting sun, Leeukop bend points in the general direction of the Leeukop prison (although I have no idea if the prison was built before or after Kyalami).

thats just my theory behind the names anyhow :)

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,858 posts

Posted 09 December 2001 - 21:59

Thanks Jonathan :clap: :D Now all I need to find out is how a suburb of Joburg gets named after an insignificant Berkshire village whose main claim to fame is the Broadmoor Hospital for the Criminally Insane! :eek:

#4 Bjorn

Bjorn

• 5,889 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 00:00

Hmm.. While we're at it, what about Barbeque Bend? :p

#5 Jonathan Merry

Jonathan Merry

• 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 11:17

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Thanks Jonathan :clap: :D Now all I need to find out is how a suburb of Joburg gets named after an insignificant Berkshire village whose main claim to fame is the Broadmoor Hospital for the Criminally Insane! :eek:

:lol:

and surely Barbeque bend speaks for itself ;)
I guess there could be a couple of reasons for calling it Barbeque bend - it could have been a popular spot for spectators to watch the races and have a bbq at the same time on the grass embankments, or maybe it was just named bbq bend to keep with the local naming flavour - actually that just was a very bad pun.

#6 Jonathan Merry

Jonathan Merry

• 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 11:27

Just as an aside, many of the suburds in JHB are named after towns and counties in the UK. I live in a street called Kinross.... not exactly the most African sounding name now is it?

#7 leegle

leegle

• 499 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 12:38

Originally posted by Bjorn
Hmm.. While we're at it, what about Barbeque Bend? :p

Yes Barbecue :rolleyes: Bend! The only place left in the world where the word was spelled correctly. :(

#8 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 18:17

Strangely, the word barbeque is not used at all in South Africa. A barbeque here is known as a 'braai' which I believe is the Afrikaans word for grill. You will never hear the word barbeque in mentioned here. :confused: :cat: :eek: :rolleyes: :kiss:

Chris

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 19:42

The word barbeque shouldn't be used anywhere. However, as leegle has already pointed out, barbecue is OK.

#10 Jonathan Merry

Jonathan Merry

• 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 20:07

Barbecue is the correct spelling of the word according to the Oxford dictionary (and who could argue with them :p ) but I am sure that the name of the corner was actually spelt Barbeque - thats is unless all the maps I have are spelt incorectly :stoned:
Sorry if that seems a bit anal but we may as well get it correct ;)

(hi Chris) :wave:

#11 leegle

leegle

• 499 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 21:57

Maybe it was only DSJ that got it right then :rolleyes: and maybe Motor Sport did their map themselves.;) Thanks David.

#12 Slyder

Slyder

• 5,453 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 23:47

I always laugh when I look at the track layout and notice Barbeque bend, such a funny name for a corner. I passed through it in GPL, and I must say it's a pretty good site to watch the race and do some grill.  ;)

Barbeque bend unfortunately also has a dark side to it since it was in that corner that Peter Revson was killed in 1974, suspected broken suspension. :cry:

#13 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 17:50

According to several people I have talked to who raced at the old Kyalami and have also tried Grand Prix Legends, Barbecue was a faster and not as tight as the one in GPL. I have movie clip taken on-board with Clay Reggazoni in an Ensign in I guess 1980 which supports those suggestions.

Chris

(Hello Jonathan :wave: )