Photo

New Jimmy Murphy book

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 03:33

I've just had this site pointed out to me.

www.king-of-the-boards.com

The book should be of interest to many on TNF.

Advertisement

#2 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 05:39

$ 90 + postage, wow !

Too much expensive for me, except if I hold a bank up.

#3 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 09:54

Milan, thanks for sharing this with us. I can provide a brief personal review, when I get the book.

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 13:32

The price seems resonable to me. Hans I look forward to your comments before I purchase mine. ;)

#5 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 18:25

I think the book is good enough...
I give it a serious thought..
next: the funds..
I think I'll survive..
in the end...
Paul

#6 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 20:12

I am glad that someone has written a book on Jimmy. However, the price is a bit steep but keep in mind that writing any book on a deceased driver from that era is an extremely challenging endeavor with potential market that pails in comparison to even an average Grand Prix driver today.

#7 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 07:36

I can see one advantage:

This is probably the definitive book on Jimmy.
When I see all those book catalogues filled with biographies on still running drivers then I get that feeling of: "OK, I can buy this year's edition but within a short time there's a new one"

No offence to people within this forum who earn money because of involved in this kind of projects either cars, car brands or people by the way. Since such books are sold there seems to be a market thus I must think wrong I suppose....

And indeed, compiling a book about a person (or any subjest for that matter!) in that period of time is a chore. So many stories known but often being second or more handed and thus less authentic and correct after all.

Henri Greuter

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:31

I am definitely ordering a copy! I want to support those who write books about topics more than five or so years old.....

#9 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 19:05

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
.....I can provide a brief personal review, when I get the book.

King of the Boards
The Life and Times of Jimmy Murphy

by Gary D. Doyle
Self-published, US $100.00 plus shipping cost

Posted Image

The 8 x 10 x 1 inch, well bound hard cover book, is similar in size to the Automobile Quarterly issues, just a tad smaller and much thicker and heavier of course with 336 pages on expensive paper, lavishly illustrated. The book is divided into eight chapters with a helpful and revealing bibliography, appendix and index. Of the many pictures not seen before, I found Dario Resta in the 1914 Grand Prix Peugeot most interesting. It shows the back of the car’s streamlined tail section with the twin spare wheels standing inside.

Posted Image

Fascinating, I thought, was Fred Duesenberg’s characterization of Jimmy, “Murphy was one of the most wonderful race drivers that ever had hold of the wheel. He was a very excellent mechanic, he knew his motors and usually drove them to the limit. He took most excellent care of himself and was always in good condition. If he ever raced on Sunday, Jimmy would always go to Mass first. No one ever heard Jimmy say an unkind word about other mechanics or drivers; he was always ready and willing to help the other fellow and gave them more than an even break….”

The 1921 French Grand Prix, which he won in the Duesenberg, is dealt with in a lavishly illustrated chapter of its own. A striking quote, “The Literary Digest said, “Murphy did more than merely win a speed classic. He met and defeated the cream of French racing talent with two or three Englishmen thrown in for good measure, at their own…sport-road racing…”
Posted Image

The story portrays Jimmy Murphy throughout his races as a driver but also in his early years while assisting other drivers as riding mechanic and his racing driver friend Tommy Milton. His last race on September 15, 1924 at Syracuse, New York, is of course well described and so is his crash in very much detail. Severely injured and unconscious, he died shortly after his crash in hospital while doctors tried saving his life. The following is quoted with Gary D. Doyle’s permission, as are all blue font text and pictures. “A broken spirited white faced man, his head bowed, walked into the Country Morgue last night and inquired if the body of Jimmy Murphy had been brought in from hospital. An attendant led him to where on a stretcher reposed the body of the famous automobile racer.
“As the face was unveiled, tears coursed down the face of the visitor…Unashamed and despite the throng that had come to…see the famous Jimmy Murphy in death, he wept…”
A Syracuse Reporter…approached Tommy Milton. “A friend of yours?” he inquired. ‘Almost a brother…’
Tommy had actually ridden in the ambulance with Jimmy to the hospital….."

This book gives deep insight of what racing was like in those years, vividly describing drivers, cars and manufacturers. As a driver, Jimmy Murphy raced for only six years, yet achieved so much. One wonders what he would have accomplished, had he not left us that soon. This book will be sought after in years to come. Comparing the price with that of other books of similar quality, it seems about right.

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 23:50

Sounds like a keeper. Will order next week.

#11 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 09:53

Jimmy Murphy won 20 races of the 62 which he contested as a driver or that's what I worked out. Can anybody confirm that?

#12 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 19:08

Having bought the Jimmy Murphy book thanks to this thread, I feel I should return the favour by informing TNF of the forthcoming reprint of William F Nolan's great biography of Barney Oldfield.

http://brownfoxbooks...eyOldfield.html

I hope this is of some use

Mark

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 13:58

Michael aka Joe Fan have you talked to these people at Brown Fox Books? Also have you considered having your book co-authored? Maybe an author with a track record may have better luck publishing your material. Please excuse me if this is out of order!

#14 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 14:07

Originally posted by Dennis David
Michael aka Joe Fan have you talked to these people at Brown Fox Books? Also have you considered having your book co-authored? Maybe an author with a track record may have better luck publishing your material. Please excuse me if this is out of order!

Dennis, I think I am getting close to landing a publisher. Brown Fox Books is a very small publisher and I think this is their second book. I could publish the book later myself with about the same quality as their Yankee Champion reprint and get more return for my effort. What I need to do is find a publisher that has really proven channels of distribution, a platform to advertise the book or I am better off self-publishing.

Overall, I am very confident that I will find a publisher in the next 2-3 months. I also received some encouraging words about the prospects of a biography on Masten from a well known author. He believes that book has a greater appeal and potential market than I have been led to believe. He has written small market books before and self-published one himself so I trust his judgement.

#15 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 14:14

Glad to hear that you're getting close. It's sure it's a lot easier having articles published than your book. Can't wait to hear the good news!

#16 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 02:08

My copy arrived today and I am really impressed! I got "No. 99/300" and I certainly hope that people realize what very nicely done book it is. I sat down and started going through it and was surprised to find I had been just "skimming" for well over 90 minutes! The chapter on Le Mans and the 1921 GP de l'ACF is excellent. I am not certain that I have seen as many pictures on the event in one place. Ditto for Monza 1923.

It would set hope against hope to wish that other drivers and related topics would receive such attention.

Definitely the sort of effort that many of us would aspire to produce.

#17 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 18:44

See Mark Ballard's post in this thread.

Post number 12.

#18 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 18:57

please contact me how to get the Oldfielld and Phil Hill books
Paul Hooft
Netherlands
Europe

See Mark Ballard's post in this thread.

Post number 12.

Thanks for your reply, I like to place an order soon,
and have been on the site recently
but still want too know the proedure how to do it
Paul :up:

#19 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 00:17

Gary Doyle's accomplishment in researching, writing and publishing the definitive biography of Jimmy Murphy is stunning and deserves the admiration and appreciation of all serious students of motor sport. As an American I have always been aware of Murphy's great victory in the 1921 French Grand Prix and I knew he was an Indy 500 winner (1922). Doyle brings to light a rich perspective on Jimmy Murphy's life and expands our knowledge and appreciation of the great era of board racing that Murphy dominated from 1920 to 1924. His chapter on Murphy and the Duesenberg expedition to France in 1921 is worth the price of admission by itself. The quality and presentation of the photos and other artwork is breathtaking. Sadly, in today's publishing world a book of this sort would never have seen the light of day in this format if Gary Doyle had not the courage to self publish - and therefore be true to his own vision of the story as he wanted to tell it.

If this all seems a bit breathless - I plead guilty. Seldom have I been as genuinely excited and involved in a new work - and by a first time author. Congratulations Gary Doyle!

Advertisement

#20 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 12:06

Originally posted by Don Capps
My copy arrived today and I am really impressed! I got "No. 99/300" and I certainly hope that people realize what very nicely done book it is.

Beat you, got no. 97. :p

Looks very nice, and the paper smells gorgeous (which may sound weird, but I think it adds a certain je ne sais quoi), but I won't have the chance to read it yet. However, the photography is stunning and reproduction is top quality.

#21 Mark Ballard

Mark Ballard

• 163 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 13:16

Just to add my voice to the chorus of approvals this book is getting.
Not only is the quality and presentation excellent. it is also a very good read (I am half way though it ). If you have any interest in this period of racing you need to buy this book!

Oh and ensign I got number 89 ;)

#22 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 16:17

The book is superb. I echo what Mike Argetsinger has said! As a Jimmy Murphy "fan" I was an easy sale, but the book is excellent and a tribute to the idea that some folks don't let minor thngs like a lack of interest by "mainstream publishers" deter them one bit. As has been pointed out, the chapter on the 1921 GP de l'ACF is all by itself worth the price of admission.

Mr. Doyle is to be thanked for his devotion to The Cause: Award of The Nostalgia Forum Gold Star with Gold Palm to Gary Doyle.

#23 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 18:02

Can't wait to receive my order!

DCN

#24 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 21:44

I received my copy of this superb book today, and cannot recommend it highly enough.

The production is first-rate, photo choice and reproduction top class, and the few snippets of text read so far, fascinating.

I would rate it with "The Miller Dynasty" and "Sunbeam Racing Cars" for quality.

#25 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,944 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 22:32

Originally posted by ensign14
I won't have the chance to read it yet.

Have now read it, it is brilliant. Now at last I'll stop confusing him with Tommy Milton. A real labour of love, which I had the time/guts/ability (preferably all 3) to do something like that.

#26 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 07:49

I also got my copy and used the past weeks for reading it.
A truly amazing book. Makes me wonder how he managed to do it and in such a limited period of time too. Great read, nice pix, a great contribution to the documentation about the golden era in US racing.

Henri Greuter

#27 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 08:42

I agree with Henri!!
Great book, good pictures,,
And when reading the text: :
it reminds you that Racing was a great,
but very dangerous adventure then...
Paul Hooft

#28 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 04:43

I am very pleased to share the news that Gary Doyle will be at the Research Center at Watkins Glen on May 31 to talk about Jimmy Murphy and his own experience in researching and writing this remarkable book. Gary has put together 77 slides for the presentation and he tells me that none of them duplicate any of the images to be found in the book!

And here's the big news - - - - also on hand will be the Duesenberg that Jimmy drove to victory in the French Grand Prix of 1921 (he also won the Indy 500 the following year in the same car - albeit powered by a Miller engine on that occasion). The car is generously on loan from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum and will be in residence in Watkins Glen from April 15 through June 15.

I hope as many TNF members as possible will be on hand that day to meet Gary and help us celebrate this great research achievement that has produced this fine book. Let me know if you'll be there so we can all get together afterward!

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:05

What a wonderful event that will be, Mike... I just wish I could be there.

Having just read this thread for the first time, I'm more inspired than ever about getting to work on the Matich book.

I might have to get off here first though...

#30 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:11

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
also on hand will be the Duesenberg that Jimmy drove to victory in the French Grand Prix of 1921 (he also won the Indy 500 the following year in the same car - albeit powered by a Miller engine on that occasion). The car is generously on loan from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum and will be in residence in Watkins Glen from April 15 through June 15.

Dash it ! I'll be at Indy for some days including the 500 race, and the Jimmy's car won't be there !
BTW, I broke my moneybox and ordered the Doyle's book. Stupendous.

#31 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:44

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
I am very pleased to share the news that Gary Doyle will be at the Research Center at Watkins Glen on May 31 to talk about Jimmy Murphy ...
...I hope as many TNF members as possible will be on hand that day to meet Gary and help us celebrate this great research achievement that has produced this fine book. Let me know if you'll be there so we can all get together afterward!

Wish I could make it and be there, Mike. Hope you all will have a wonderful time. :)

#32 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 19:20

A very good book:
Paul Hooft
Netherlands
Europe :up:

#33 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 22:19

Gary Doyle is bringing out his latest book about Ralph De Palma. :D

Better open a new thread about Ralph De Palma.

#34 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 15:43

Again, all the information about the new Ralph De Palma
book,

-just heard the first batch was published and send last week...-
-So I hope to recieve my own book very soon now...-

Is on the site

http://www.king-of-the-boards.com/

and if you go there, have a look at some extra free downloads too.

Paul Hooft,
Netherlands