Thinwall Specials.. but where?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:19

Hi

I have been tidying up my HD (again) and found the following two pictures of the Thinwall Special that I must have downloaded from the web at some time. I am hoping that some of the TNF gurus will be able to identify at which race/circuit because I can not tie up the race numbers/drivers with the entries in Sheldon for the Thinwall Specials…

Posted Image

The filename indicates 1951 with Nino Farina at the wheel?

Posted Image

The filename on this one is 1954 Goodwood with Peter Collins at the wheel?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 11:52

The Farina pic ... was that not Goodwood ... where he came second in the Formula Libre race in 1952?

The Collins picture is I believe the Formula Libre race at Goodwood, Sept. 25 1954. Also entered in the same race was the 2.5 litre Vanwall Special (racing number 8) driven by Hawthorn.

#3 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 12:25

Thanks Vanwall

The Nino Farina picture? Thanks for correcting the year.. a web search pinpointed the race you so correctly identified... 27/09/52 (again a Libre race) for the Woodcote Cup with Nino 2nd to Froilan Gonzalez in the BRM P15.

The 1954 Libre race with Collins driving must have also been for the Woodcote Cup, which is not listed in Sheldon because of it's Libre status. Interestingly, in the F1 Goodwood Trophy on that same day Peter Collins raced the Vanwall Special with No.8 that you mention.. I wonder why Hawthorn did not take part in the F1 race?
Thanks again

Rob

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 14:16

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
Thanks Vanwall

The Nino Farina picture? Thanks for correcting the year.. a web search pinpointed the race you so correctly identified... 27/09/52 (again a Libre race) for the Woodcote Cup with Nino 2nd to Froilan Gonzalez in the BRM P15.

The 1954 Libre race with Collins driving must have also been for the Woodcote Cup, which is not listed in Sheldon because of it's Libre status. Interestingly, in the F1 Goodwood Trophy on that same day Peter Collins raced the Vanwall Special with No.8 that you mention.. I wonder why Hawthorn did not take part in the F1 race?
Thanks again

Rob

The race record in the DSJ/CP Vanwall book confirms the above identifications - as to Hawthorn: he was released by Ferrari to drive at this meeting and at the opening Aintree meeting the next weekend. At Aintree, he got two drives in the Vanwall Special, while Collins ran just once in the Thin Wall. So over the two weekends, they got three drives each, with a slight advantage in quality to the more established Hawthorn. Sounds fair to me and just the sort of deal GAV would have brokered! And of course, he was courting Mike to drive for him in 1955 ....

#5 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 19:30

Vitesse

Thanks for the confirmation, and also the extra info on the Hawthorn & Collins arrangement.

I knew I could rely on TNF :clap:

Rob

#6 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 23:00

As far as I'm aware, the Thin Wall Specials were Ferraris purchased by Tony Vanderwall who repainted them and gave them this name, based on a company he was involved with that supplied parts to Ferrari.
There was a blurb about this, this past week, in the Altas Magazine...