Emmo Indy test back in 1974

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CSGPR

CSGPR

• 221 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 17:48

Hi everybody

Now Emerson Fittipaldi have announce his plans to enter a team in this years CART series, I came to think of the test he made for McLaren back in 1974, just a week or two after he had won his second World Championship.

I have never seen a photo from the test and I don’t quit know how it went. I only know that he didn't participate in the 1975 Indy 500. After the test in 1974 Teddy Mayer said that it was up to Emerson Fittipaldi to decide whether to race in the 1975 Indy 500 or not.

Is there anybody who can supply more information regarding the test and not least a photo?

Best Regards

Advertisement

#2 550spyder

550spyder

• 220 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 19:53

As far as I know Emerson hated the test. His opinions at that time about the Indy 500 race were that "it was too dangerous". Things change and also people's minds.
Best regards

#3 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 22:55

I, too, remember reading about this. Emmo's concern was that, "with about 900 BHP, the speeds are too great and if there was an accident, it would be a bad one."
I'm guessing he tested a McLaren M24 with the turbo Offy. It's hard to believe these motors produced that much power when the F1 boys were playing with, maybe, 500...

#4 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 23:48

Originally posted by mp4
I'm guessing he tested a McLaren M24 with the turbo Offy.

I believe he ran the exact same chassis Rutherford won his first 500 with that May. I've never come across any photos, though.

#5 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 00:52

Autosportt the time reported he had impressed the Indy regulars, and indeed at the time he was saying complimentary things about the Speedway.

#6 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 342 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 17:43

Emmo's Indy test was in the fall of 1974. He'd have been driving an M16. The Cosworth-engined M24 was built for the 1977 season.
Emmo was at Indy at the same time as AJ Foyt, who was testing his Coyote. Foyt even gave him some advice: to ignore those drivers who said that they never used their brakes on a fast lap at Indy. According to Foyt, a tap of the brakes (probably left foot, at full throttle) helped set the car up for the corner. It sounds okay, but whether AJ would have given good advice to a potential competitor is an open question. According to Autosport, Foyt was complimentary about Emmo's driving - although he kept misspronouncing his name, calling him "Fillipaldi".

Mike

#7 McRonalds

McRonalds

• 444 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 19:40

Sorry - no pictures of Emmo driving an Indy Car - but I found this picture in Johnny Rutherfords biography 'Lone Star J.R.' - Emmo talking to Johnny Ruther ford during his Indy tests in 1974.

Posted Image