16 replies to this topic

#1 Hendy

Hendy

• 364 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 05:58

Jacques > Williams
Ralf > McLaren
DC > BAR

Just a thought. Hearing Frank Williams cast doubt on Ralf about passing Michael and saying that Juan would have a "Go" instead, makes me think if Ralf can battle his brother without hesitation.

Just my opinion, but I would love to see a matchup with JPM and Jacques. I would like to see Jacques in an unfogiving seat where his results are scrutinized more often and if he is slow JPM will destroy him. I have a feeling that he would perform better under those circumstances than the current one he is in.

Advertisement

#2 D. Heimgartner

D. Heimgartner

• 1,355 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:03

Hope you have your hardhat and flack jacket on, cause you're in for one rough ride.

:up:

JV and JPM at Williams would be, however, insane.

#3 Jacaré

Jacaré

• 2,649 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:27

Originally posted by Hendy
I would like to see Jacques in an unfogiving seat where his results are scrutinized more often and if he is slow JPM will destroy him. I have a feeling that he would perform better under those circumstances than the current one he is in.

right now Jacques has a team-mate with potential for improvement. A driver usually takes half a season to truly become part of a team. Given reliability, the second half of the season will see a good battle between Button and JV.

Raikkonen would have to double the points of Coulthard and be a genuine title contender late in the season to make a seat available at McLaren. I can't see any reason for change at Williams.

#4 MaDDim

MaDDim

• 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:50

Jacari is right. DC is in trouble of extending his contract, not RS. I would really like JV in a competitive team (as a JV fan) but I think the best seat he could find is BAR or TOYOTA and nothing else. Ron would be insane to match Raikkonen with JV.

#5 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:40

Ralf > Williams

DC > Mclaren

JV > BAR

Surprise!!!!!! :wave: :eek:

#6 Riker!

Riker!

• 1,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:57

Originally posted by Mrv
Ralf > Williams

DC > Mclaren

JV > BAR

Surprise!!!!!! :wave: :eek:

Not Quite

JV > Unemployment

Sato > BAR

otherwise correct! :wave:

#7 Sith

Sith

• 1,308 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:21

Please? when has Mclaren or Williams ever terminated a driver contract before it's term??? (Mansell and Zanardi do not count because it was mutual!!!)

O.K, Ralf is not what Frank thought he'd be, and I bet he regrets having to pay him the amount he has to till 04'. But it will cost more to kick him out!!! The key is Montoya, Frank was sweating that he would be off to replace Shuey (that's not gonna happen in 05') if that happened, then he'd be forced to keep Ralf, so realisticaly, Ralf's seat will be up for 05', and not before!!!

As for all this J.V stuff? The guy has dug himself the biggest hole with his attitute ove the years that he'll never get another top drive again!!!! It's kinda funny, he keeps whinging about Ferrari being a one car team, yet that's what Dave Richards is trying to do with Button and BAR! He'll stay at BAR, but on their terms!!

D.C?? Well there's no driver really coming through the ranks setting the world on fire, D.C is the face of Mclaren! He should get out before that Kimi gells into the team even more next year!!!

#8 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:21

Well Sith that is really down to semantics. Damon was booted from the team a year and a half before he left, to be replaced by HHF. Just to refresh your memeory Hill went on to win WDC in his final year with the team hence him taking the #1 to Arrows in 97.

#9 Never

Never

• 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:34

Hehe, first post :drunk: gets me excited!

Anyway, back to the topic:

RS > Williams

DC > Jordan

JV > Garden growing flowers

Fisi > McLaren!

True that DC has been at MCLaren forever and knows them, is reliable (as in reliably slow), won't pose a threat to wonderboy Kimi, but how many other chances is the guy getting?

As to JV, Sith is just spot on: JV has proven that he is not really worth the money he asks, and that he would be disruptive in any team he'd be in. Some have linked him to Renault, but I believe that Briatore would rather keep Trulli, who is not too bad and a very good friend/teamate for youngh star Alonso, than hire JV who is a lousy PR man, a lazy tester and would surely start saying things like "the car is crap and FA has to earn my respect". Can't see other teams ready to take him, more or less for the same reasons.

#10 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:40

Originally posted by philhitchings
Well Sith that is really down to semantics. Damon was booted from the team a year and a half before he left, to be replaced by HHF. Just to refresh your memeory Hill went on to win WDC in his final year with the team hence him taking the #1 to Arrows in 97.

No, Sith is right.

DH wasnt booted from the team, his contract was not extended. Whether you liked it or not (I didnt), there is a big difference. If he had been booted he would not have been around for a year and half, as it was he was allowed to see out his contract.

#11 Jonas A

Jonas A

• 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:27

O.K, Ralf is not what Frank thought he'd be

Ralf is a star, and so is Montoya. The strongest and most underrated driver pairing in the businiess by far. DC is the perfect number two for a team who officially have no number one, but in theory has had just that since the day he (DC) started there. A perfect solution.

#12 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 14:42

Ralf will stay at Williams next season. Williams might be dissapointed with some aspects of his driving, but hten again they are that way with drivers. I don't think Frank is very eager to buy Ralf out of his contract before 2004 either - would cost too much money and make no sense since Ralf does deliver points to the team. However, I don't expect him to be retained by the team after next year though. So - RS > Williams

I think DC is in for a tough time at the negotiating table. He's been with the team for a long time, but always been the underdog apart from the odd brilliant race. He couldn't match Mika and now he has problems matching Kimi who definetly looks like Ron Dennis new favourite. I think DC:s time is up , and the only way for him to save another year at McLaren would be a drop in salary and hopes that McLaren doesn't rate other drivers such as Fisichella, Trulli or Villeneuve higher than him in any aspect. I think DC will have to leave - DC > Jaguar or Toyota

Villeneuve might be able to stay put for another year. I definetly think he deserves a place in F1. It's easy to just dismiss him looking at the results but one has to remember he's been driving a shitbox since 99 and this year with all the DNF:s he hasn't been able to show his racepace properly. He will have to take a performance based contract though ... only thing, will he get paid when the BAR fails in such a contract?
JV > Toyota, Renault or BAR

#13 Leisure Boy

Leisure Boy

• 30 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 14:57

Originally posted by Sith
Please? when has Mclaren or Williams ever terminated a driver contract before it's term??? (Mansell and Zanardi do not count because it was mutual!!!)

Michael Andretti comes to mind. Mid-season 2.

#14 CLX

CLX

• 946 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 15:05

Ralf at Mclaren would be a nightmare for me.

#15 Hendy

Hendy

• 364 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 18:56

I didn't mean for this to be a 'flame bait' thread, but there seems to be moves afoot with driver swaps in the future.

Pollock says that there are other teams that they are talking to and I can't think of anyone other than McLaren, Renualt and Williams. Renault seems like the furthest stretch out of the bunch with both drivers managed by the Principal.

Patrick Head and Frank Williams loved Jacques when he drove for them. They never really seemed to get attached to drivers very often, so that seems like a BIG accolade.

I think it is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I happen to believe that Patrick Head would literally kick Jacques in the ass if he pulled the **** he has been able to get away with at HIS current team. Pollock said Jacques would be willing to drive on a performance based contract if the right deal came along.

#16 Moomacher

Moomacher

• 64 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 19:45

Quite honestly in regards to this thread and the thousands of others like it. Its all wishful thinking people! No one at the top teams is going anywhere next year. And now that Flav says that he's keeping Trulli, that means no open seats at Renault either. I think any movement this offseason will be between midfield teams. Like Fisi to Toyota or something of that nature. Basically I think the real fireworks will be in the silly season next year, when I expect each of the top three tops to replace drivers (RB, RS, DC). Maybe Renault too. Fisi and JV and whoever else wants a sniff at a top drive should just sign a one year contract with a midfield team and sick their agents like attack dogs on Ron, Frank, Jean Todt, and Flav.

#17 Sith

Sith

• 1,308 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 08:30

Leisureboy,

I did say "mutual" and the Andretti situation was! He had that fat barrel Chip Ganassi wanting his services to head Reynards venture into CART.

Phil, Hill was no good, the decision to dump him came long before he won that title. He'd overstayed his welcome! Remember, They were forced to sign Hill in the wake of that Mansell/Patrese farce! (Had Williams known that Mansell was gonna leave them in the lurch, they would've kept Patrese, he signed with benneton, in came the "test" driver Hill, with Prost in the other car it was no drama. Same when Senna signed! Seriously? Does anyone really believe that Hill would've been there after 94 had Senna not hit that wall? That's what saved his career!