Photo

Chequered (or Checkered, if you must!) Flag [merged]

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2000 - 16:43

A nickle to the first person who answers this correctly!

Help!! I compile a weekly q&a column for the Sun Times and I am keen to answer a reader's query on the origin of the chequered flag in motor racing. Any thoughts?? Many thanks, David Harbord, Sunday Times Sports Production Manager

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 16 June 2000 - 19:05

I found no reply, but just a clue.
Whilst reviewing my notes for when, so many years ago, I got my license as flag marshall, and, being guided to the 1925 AIACR rules on flags (yellow and blue, plus the chequered one) I saw a note that indicates (not sure if this is correct) that the first time the chequered was used was in Indy 1912.
But no explanation on what the black and white squares mean...
:-)
Felix

#3 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 20 June 2000 - 14:38

Maybe it some adoptation of old chequered naval maritime signal flags either indicating ships to return to port. Or telling crew to return back on board and cease their work.

Who knows?

I read it was used in 1913 not 1912 and prior to this there is evidence of French bicycle races having the chequered flag used.

Tell the answer if you found out for sure.

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 03:07

Well, I can verify that the checkered flag was used at the Indy 500 in 1911: the 1 June 1911 issue of "The Automobile" shows a checkered flag being used to wave home the winner, Ray Harroun, at the finish. Will look for anything prior to that when I get the chance.

#5 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 03:23

Don,

Is there by any chance a picture on the web of the cover? Or if you have it or have seen it can you possible have time to scan it and post on the BB? It would be great to have a picture of it even in digital format.

#6 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 03:25

I thought it had something to do with a naval signal or something.....very vague i know.

#7 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 21 June 2000 - 03:29

Looking at a picture of the finish of the 1908 Grand Prize Race of the Automobile Club of American at Savannah, there is a "checkered pattern" at the finish line which may or may not be a flag, but it is definitely a checkered design. The picture is in Quattlebaum's The Great Savannah Races on page 28.

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 03:09

Well, not much time to research but still looking for the legends behind the checkered flag.

However, I did stumble on this info from the AAA Contest Board concerning flags as they were used in the late 1930's:

Green - Starts race & indicates clear course during race

Yellow - Caution, maintain position

Orange with large Blue circle - the passing flag, someone is attempting to pass

Red - stops the race

White - stop for consultation (!)

Blue - indicates starting the last lap of the race

Checkered - ends race

There is no mention of the black flag, the white flag being used instead. Interesting. Dosen't help you too much, DD, but you can use this to confuse them....

#9 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,135 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 06:06

I found this curious variant in a Finnish book from 1952:

"According to international rules the flags are:"

Blue flag (horisontal): Keep to the right (or left)
Blue flag (waving): Attension, slow down, danger!
Black flag (sometimes red): Stop your car.
Yellow flag: All cars must stop immediately.
White flag: Danger, ambulance on the track.
Chequered flag (sometimes black): End of race.

Different flag signals seem to have been in use throughout racing history. For example in the British trials for the 1904 Gordon Bennett race the starter seem to have a flag (white?) in his hand.

[p][Edited by Leif Snellman on 06-22-2000]

#10 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 07:01

About the different race flags. I looked at the Coppa Acerbo link on your page. Its got excellent photos.

Although later by far than the early races you are talking about it shows similar things.

In the early years 1925-1926 as well later you can see the large chequered flag pattern on the start/finnish line.

Also in the photo section for 1925 the finish photo seems to have a guy holding a black flag which he is about to wave as the winning car crosses.

#11 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,521 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 08:07

I don't know if this is helpful but an article titled "Checkered flag at the finish line predated automobiles" was published by The Indianapolis Star-News on May 29, 1999.

#12 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 22 June 2000 - 10:44

thanks desmo,

http://www.starnews.com/archive/

Yes, its definitely there under May 30, 1999. It requires registration and a credit card to access the whole article though :(

here's the start

1 : Checkered flag at the finish line predated automobiles

Published on Sunday, May 30, 1999

One of the most frequently asked questions - and one for which there may never be a definitive answer - is, ``What is the origin of the black-and-white-checkered flag and why is it used to signal the end of an automobile race?''

Not only can it be traced to the very beginning of motorsports, it apparently came into use in bicycle racing in France sometime in the 1860s, some 20 years before there was any such thing as an automobile.

#13 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 10:36

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me a question wich,
to my great surprise, I could not answer: where does the
chequered flag comes from? It's probably the most universal
symbol of motor racing, but no one (even my friend Jabby
Crombac who is quite a bible for us french journalists) seems to
know how, when and where it was first used in automobile
racing!
I'm almost certain that the first use of flags to help the drivers
was at Le Tour de France Automobile 1899 (with yellow and red
flags having the same meaning as today), but what about the
chequered????
The oldest picture I've got of a chequered flag waved at a
winner is at the 1904 Vanderbilt Cup, but probably it was used
before. Did the aristocratic gentlemen who made most of the
motoring world in those early days bring it from one of their
favorite sports (horse racing? sailing?).

Please help me !!
FEV

#14 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 18:35

I found interesting this Q&A by Donard Davidson in his archive portion of the Indy 500 site. Hope you do too!

Where did the checkered flag originate?

This is quite possibly the most frequently asked question in all of motorsports. Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer, its origin having either gone unrecorded or been lost in history.

We have talked with some of the world’s leading historians over the years, and most of them have had no idea. The most logical theory points to an emergence from within bicycle racing in France, sometime in the 1860s.

An investigation conducted back in 1950 suggested that a "bone crusher" race on a cobbled street in Paris in 1864 may have inadvertently caused the beginning when a lady in the crowd loaned a checkered scarf to an official in order that his signal to start the race might be seen by the contestants.

The only thing reasonably certain is that the checkered flag appears to have been used since the very beginning of motorsports, and if the 1864 claim is true, then the checkered flag would precede even the automobile itself by some 20 years.

#15 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 28 May 2001 - 20:14

Karl

We discussed this subject (and the reason for its design) sometime last year in http://www.atlasf1.c...p?threadid=5857

Obvious as it might sound, there were no real conclussions, and I have to reckon that your comments about 1864 looks like opening a whole new world for investigation...:) Thanks.

Felix

#16 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:30

William Boddy asked the question in the August Motor Sport. If he doesn't know, probably nobody does.

The Vanderbildt Cup picture is interesting but as the race was an amalgam of US and European drivers etc it offers no clue as to whether the origin lies in the US or in Europe.

If tomorrow's GP is boring I'll search the old threads and summarise the alternatives that have been put forward.

#17 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:09

Originally posted by jarama
bournenville, there are various threads in the history of TNF about the chequered flag. With the "Search BB" engine you can access to all of them. Carles.

ditto, and don't forget to check on checkered flags as well... :blush:

#18 bournenville

bournenville

• 110 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:20

txs budddies :)

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:27

As tonicco says, we've discussed the checkered/chequered flag in a number of threads.

To summarise, it would seem it has its origins in bicycle racing, where it was introduced in the 1860s (why? No idea!). It seems to have migrated to motor racing sometime in the first decade of the 20th century: in view of the fact that quite a number of the early professional racing drivers had been racing cyclists, perhaps this isn't surprising.

Advertisement

#20 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:54

Just to add a little to Richard's summary. To the best of my research, it seems that marshalls were posted at corners to show racing cyclist the proper course. To be easily seen by the competitors they had checkered jackets (why indeed ?). Apparently one of them once waved his jacket at the winner when he crossed the finish line - that's where the habit started. Don't ask me for names, places and dates though...

#21 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 13:42

Thankyou all,
I have checked a few old threads and there is not much information about precise dates and events.
It is very curious how not much attention seems to have been paid to, perhaps, the most famous symbol of racing in its early years of existence and, at present, there is no way to find its origin.

#22 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 14:39

Blame the cyclists for not keeping records. It did take some time however for the chequered flag to take off, so to speak. I think green was used in the earliest days.

#23 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 15:04

I think it took a long time for there to be a unified international flag system. They were introduced piecemeal as required, I believe. The only one I've seen a definite date for in print is the yellow/red oil flag, which came into use in 1939 - a Crystal Palace race report from that year records its first use there!

#24 bigears

bigears

• 973 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 16:09

I made a similar thread when I first joined up in this forum:

Click here...

#25 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 17:44

Originally posted by bigears
I made a similar thread when I first joined up in this forum:

Click here...

Thankyou Bigears.
Interesting thread about checkered flag and spraying champagne on the podium.
By the way, when podium made its appearance in motorsport ?

#26 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,947 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 22:16

The picnic theory???

#27 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:51

Makes sense :wave:

#28 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 15:01

I've always understood that the chequered/checkered flag marked the finish of a race. But a photo on the last page of Robert Edwards' biography of Stirling Moss shows Moss's Aston Martin being flagged away at the start with the chequered flag rather than the tricolour. Does anybody know why?

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:55

Interesting contribution to this long-dormant topic - in which I've taken the opportunity to merge and tidy several older threads - from none other than HSH Prince Albert of Monaco, who claimed on Channel 4's introductory coverage of the GP that the chequered flag was invented by an official of the AC de Monaco.

Obviously previous contributions to this thread prove that to be unlikely, but I can believe it might have been used in the pre-Great War Monte Carlo Rallies.

#30 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 17:45

As had been mentioned, a chequered flag was sometimes used to signal the finish of late 19th Century French cycle races, though maybe they used a tablecloth borrowed from a typical local bistro, and I've seen something much the same in early photos of speedboat races as well, but has anyone mentioned this one? Rather earlier than some of the dates suggested. It's the finish of the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup race.

2800fb95-9153-44a6-aa7a-cd66c33a3e40.png

I've had some difficulty posting this, Photobucket have made some changes, and although I usually managed to cope with the old system, this new one seems to have been made more complicated. Doesn't that always seem to be the way with these "improvements"? See my tagline.

Edited by kayemod, 28 May 2017 - 17:46.

#31 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 19:17

During the excruciatingly embarrassing session of fawning-over-the-Royals at the lunch table that was Channel 4's introduction to today's Monaco Grand Prix, Prince Albert claimed that the chequered flag was an invention of the Automobile Club de Monaco.

According to Wikipedia, the ACM began as a sporting cycling club in 1890, adding 'automobile' to its name in 1907 when motorists were included; with cycling activities ceasing post-WW1, the ACM title then adopted in 1925.
When used for motor racing, the picture posted above by Rob blows this claim out of the harbour, whether or not it was the first instance, and even if ACM were to have held races in their first year of involvement with cars.

Do we have any firm evidence for the use in cycling in the 1860s? I'm awfully tempted to dismiss Prince Albert's claim as nonsense.

What do you think?

Edited by 2F-001, 28 May 2017 - 19:20.

#32 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:35

Doesn't that always seem to be the way with these "improvements"? See my tagline.

Oh God Yes!

#33 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:07

During the excruciatingly embarrassing session of fawning-over-the-Royals at the lunch table ...

Or 'lunch with the neighbours' as DC no doubt viewed it  ;)

#34 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 16:29

1906 Glidden Tour.*

Alternative Facts running amok as usual or simply the usual failure to do any research?

*Fred R. Egloff, Origin of the Checker Flag: A Search for Racing's Holy Grail, Watkins Glen, New York: International Motor Racing Research Center, 2006.

#35 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:19

I happened to read the little book, The Donington Grands Prix, which consisted mostly of reprints of the 4 programs ('35-'38)

Under Official Flag Signals, I found the following:

National Flag: Starting Flag

Yellow Flag: Stop instantly (35,36) / Red Flag: Signal for complete and immediate stop (37,38)

Chequered Flag over Competitor's number: Vehicle bearing that number has completed the course (35,36)

Green Flag: Race finished (35,36) / White Flag: Race finished (37,38)

So no chequered flag at the end  of the race, although it was known. and used. I suppose this is for handicap races or races with different distances per class.

Just an example of Great Britain in the mid thirties

#36 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:26

I don't understand, Hank - that's exactly how the chequered flag was always used!?! Any car that completes the course gets the "checker", and when all the cars are home and dry, the green (or white) flag signals the end of the contest.

#37 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:41

I don't understand, Hank - that's exactly how the chequered flag was always used!?! Any car that completes the course gets the "checker", and when all the cars are home and dry, the green (or white) flag signals the end of the contest.

It says: over a competitor's number. that means it is not for everybody. And how do you do that with a close finish? Was it still common in those days that all cars had to finish the full distance, even when lapped (possibly more than once)?

Oh, and in 37/38 there is no chequered flag at all. 

Edited by Henk Vasmel, 29 May 2017 - 17:42.

#38 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 18:01

The national flag was used by the Duke of Kent for the start and a big chequered flag (it looks about a yard square) was certainly waved at Nuvolari as he crossed the line at Donington in 1938. I have just checked some film of it.  ;)

Donington 1938 was actually the origin of the red/yellow oil flag, due to the infamous Robin Hanson incident which took out Hasse and seriously delayed Seaman. Race reports and subsequent discussions mention that yellow 'danger flags' were considered insufficient warning of the slippery conditions so (at least by his own account!) Sammy Davis suggested the new flag to the RAC Competition Committee, who approved it nationally and also put it forward to the CSI.

#39 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 18:31

So that means that what was printed in the program was just sourced from somewhere, and the actual flags used were different. These days we have "THE RULES" and anyone who sees a transgression tries to profit. In these days Nuvolari would have been disqualified for taking the wrong flag. Fortunately those days were much friendlier. And more realistic.

Advertisement

#40 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 20:47

It says: over a competitor's number. that means it is not for everybody.

Of course not! Only for vehicles completing the course.

And how do you do that with a close finish?

By showing the chequered flag over the competitor's number.

Was it still common in those days that all cars had to finish the full distance, even when lapped (possibly more than once)?

Yes, very much so.

Oh, and in 37/38 there is no chequered flag at all.

Probably just an oversight by the programme printers. Competitors are not bound by the rules as printed in a programme, but by the rules as printed on the entry form.

#41 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 22:06

1906 Glidden Tour.*

Alternative Facts running amok as usual or simply the usual failure to do any research?

*Fred R. Egloff, Origin of the Checker Flag: A Search for Racing's Holy Grail, Watkins Glen, New York: International Motor Racing Research Center, 2006.

Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.vanderbil..._cup_race_video

I claim no knowledge at all of early US racing, but this seems like a fairly authorative source, unless of course you know better.

#42 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 23:22

Regarding the use of the chequered flag with a number displayed, that would likely be because the race regulations allowed following drivers a limited amount of time to complete the full race distance after the race winner crossed the line in order to be classified. At Indianapolis at that time I think they were allowed half an hour? This would be unusual for Donington Park though, because they ran very few long scratch races with massed starts; more usually their longer distance races were 'hare and hounds' class handicaps, with starters released in batches according to engine size at pre-determined times. I guess Donington might have allowed fifteen minutes leeway in 1935, when Eccles/Fairfield were classified sixth, nearly 13 minutes behind Shuttleworth and ten minutes in 1936 when Austin Dobson was classified sixth, 9'38" behind Ruesch/Seaman. Ten minutes again in 1937, when Hasse was over eight minutes behind Rosemeyer, but the system changed to the one we know today in 1938 - that was the first time drivers who hadn't completed the full distance were classified as finishers. See also the results for the 1937 JCC 200 (15 minutes allowed) and 1939 Nuffield Trophy (all finishers still running were classified, no time allowance)

And we won't even get into the massed start credit lap system they used for the Tourist Trophy ...  ;)

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 23:30

I have seen a race where two classes competed and the official race for one class was shorter than the full distance...

Should anyone have run such a race they could also have used the chequered flag with some kind of identifier to indicate to that class' cars that their section of the race was over.

The race to which I refer did give the drivers of the secondary formula the option of completing the whole distance, however.

#44 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 00:57

The 1963 Armstrong 500, at Bathurst, had no outright winner, only class winners. When the leading car crossed the line, after completing 500 miles, a board displaying the words "RACE FINISHED" was held out.

#45 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 18:15

Regarding the use of the chequered flag with a number displayed, that would likely be because the race regulations allowed following drivers a limited amount of time to complete the full race distance after the race winner crossed the line in order to be classified. At Indianapolis at that time I think they were allowed half an hour?

I don't think there was a time limit at all. At Indianapolis, they usually waited until all prize winners (i.e. top 10) had finished, with more or less allowance for timing errors, and then flagged off the rest.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 30 May 2017 - 18:15.

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:29

Rosemeyer crossing the line, Donington 1937. Someone who appears to be another official is holding up a board ...

rosemeyer-donington-1937.jpg

#47 cpbell

cpbell

• 6,964 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:06

Rosemeyer crossing the line, Donington 1937. Someone who appears to be another official is holding up a board ...

rosemeyer-donington-1937.jpg

...which would suggest that each finisher was shown the chequered flag individually?

#48 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:58

1906 Glidden Tour.*

Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.vanderbil..._cup_race_video

I claim no knowledge at all of early US racing, but this seems like a fairly authorative source, unless of course you know better.

Because Egloff provided the sources for his research in the form of footnotes and an extensive bibliography, I was able to follow the path of his research and then understand how he came to his conclusions. (One might suggest, of course, that this is how such things are supposed to work.)

Likewise, I have found nothing credible in the many other theories (folklore, myths, fantasies) that have been suggested over the years that would lead me to cast any doubt on the veracity of Egloff's work.

#49 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 23:44

Originally posted by GMACKIE
The 1963 Armstrong 500, at Bathurst, had no outright winner, only class winners. When the leading car crossed the line, after completing 500 miles, a board displaying the words "RACE FINISHED" was held out.

I always understood it was a board painted with the checkers, Greg...

Or was that later? I'm sure I've seen a photo somewhere.

#50 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:24

Ford, in their adverts after the race, altered the board to look like a chequered  flag. The organizers were not amused, as they never intended to have a 'outright winner'.