Photo

Some photos with a common theme?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 20:02

A friend of mine is the current owner of one of the cars shown in the following photos. The photos are part of a collection that came from one of the car's earlier owners. He assumes, therefore, that there is a common theme.

I'm afraid I wasn't a huge help in identifying all of the people, races and cars for him. But I told him the people at TNF would be sure to know.....

1 ....Posted Image

2 ....Posted Image

3 ....Posted Image

4 ....Posted Image

5 ....Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 20:11

Number 1 , FJunior at Monaco ?? (only a thought..........)

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 22:35

Originally posted by Gary C
Number 1 , FJunior at Monaco ?? (only a thought..........)

I was thinking Pau, but then I noticed that cop in the white hat. Do Monegasque flics wear something like that? Or where?

5 Dunboyne?

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 23:04

Originally posted by Vitesse2
5 Dunboyne?

Interesting...would you say this is the same place, then?

6.... Posted Image

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 23:30

Originally posted by David Beard

Interesting...would you say this is the same place, then?

6.... Posted Image

Probably - how many other public road circuits can you think of in the UK for that era? Big clue that it's in Britain has to be the Watneys ad!

#6 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 00:09

Aaaah. Memories memories etc.
Pic 5 was definitely Dunboyne, exiting the left hander in the village. I think - because I'm too lazy to go to the shed and look at the programme, that the Lotus is a 22t/c driven by Jack (Kincraft) Pearce - see other threads. The other is (I think) Brian Gubby's - or Mark Rigg's Lotus 24 Climax.
Date ? I would guess at '64 or 65.
Is the car in Pic 2 an Ausper ?
Pic 6 was taken at Dublin Corner - a corner which has moved several times depending on which layout was used - in Phoenix Park.
I'll have to go back and look again to figure out who is in it, and will then try posting again......

#7 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:52

The middle guy in the shirtless trio behind the car in pic 3 resembles Jim Clark a little.

Chris
www.MotorsportArchive.com

#8 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,847 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 07:48

Originally posted by normbeechey
The middle guy in the shirtless trio behind the car in pic 3 resembles Jim Clark a little.

Chris
www.MotorsportArchive.com

And doesn't the one inside the car on the sames pic look like Mike Hailwood ?

#9 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:14

David, sorry too early for me !

#10 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:46

Originally posted by Coogar

Is the car in Pic 2 an Ausper ?

I hadn't thought of that, but a quick look in the Hodges A-Z indicates that you're correct.

As I said at the start, all the photos came from the same source, so I expected them to have something in common. I now know the common factor for all of them except 1 & 3. Not sure about them, as yet.

This is the chap that the photos came from...
Posted Image

#11 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 18:10

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Probably - how many other public road circuits can you think of in the UK for that era? Big clue that it's in Britain has to be the Watneys ad!

Is Dunboyne in the UK? :confused:

#12 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 19:10

3. could be Pergusa 1964, Mediterranean GP with car 36 being John Taylor's Cooper.

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 19:43

Originally posted by marat
3. could be Pergusa 1964, Mediterranean GP with car 36 being John Taylor's Cooper.

Aha, the thick plottens, because along with the photos came this....which having studied the numbers, confuses me no end :

Posted Image

#14 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 22:06

Aha, the thick plottens, because along with the photos came this....which having studied the numbers, confuses me no end :

Posted Image

Why? That's the grid for the Enna F1 race on Aug 16th 1964, a week after the F2 race, which was the GP di Pergusa. The #38 car is Amon's Parnell Lotus 25, #36 is John Taylor's Gerard Racing Cooper T60. That was the race where Hailwood ended up in the lake ...

Come on David - who's the bloke in the pic? Brian Gubby perchance? :smoking:

#15 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 00:28

Aaaaah.....
Then it has to be Brian Gubby surely....I do remember him at Dunboyne/Phoenix Pk from the days when the two Irish races were held just a week apart so that the participants could party in between.
The only other 1.5 litre Lotus 24 to appear on this side of the Irish Sea was Mark Rigg's car a year or so later I believe, although Chris Summers did make it over here with the Chevy-engined one.......
Did Brian Gubby drive an Ausper ?
Must have done I suppose, although I can only recall Steve Ouvaroff in one - as to the Brands pic of Lotus XI and Elva.......Did Brian have one or other of those at an earlier time ?

#16 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 06:01

as to the Brands pic of Lotus XI and Elva.......Did Brian have one or other of those at an earlier time ?

Is it an Elva? I thought it might have been the Victoria-Climax

#17 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:06

David,
Re: Victoria Climax......I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one ! I was working on the premise that 'if it's not a Lotus, then......'

#18 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 11:12

I only said I thought :

#19 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:43

The bloke in the pic, is in fact Brian Gubby.
And whilst Googling proves he drove an Ausper, I find that typing Victoria Climax into Google is not a good idea.

This all started because the friend I mentioned is researching the history of his Lotus 11, once raced and owned by Brian Gubby (as shown)and previously by Ivor Bueb.

Back to the grid shot. It doesn't look like Amon in the car to me (yes, more like Hailwood). And who are the other topless blokes with the one that looks like Clark. Is Gubby one of them?

And the No 1 shot , Monaco(?) grid still has me puzzled if it's part of the set.

Advertisement

#20 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 22:26

Just a thought.......Are we certain that the No 1 grid pic is, in fact Monaco ? Given that the trackside adverts are for Campari, might it not be one of those fabulous - but sadly now defunct - Italian city/road circuits like Garda (or any number of others still running in the early sixties). The car in centre pic looks like what my subconscious thinks is a de Sanctis - don't ask me why, but schoolboy impressions remain, and I loved Juniors at age 14.
Perhaps the good Mr Gubby - and he can't have been too dusty to qualify for Enna ahead of Peter Revson and Paul Hawkins among others - had one of the others cars in shot....The Lotus or maybe even what appears to be a Cooper ?
Note for David.....What is/was a Victoria Climax ? There's a touch of over-excited royalty about the name but ........

#21 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 23:01

Given that the trackside adverts are for Campari, might it not be one of those fabulous - but sadly now defunct - Italian city/road circuits like Garda

But Ducellier doesn't sound very Italian either (They make/made distributors - at least).

#22 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 23:23

As I pointed out above, that cop ought to be a clue. He's not French AFAIK (no képi) and the only picture I can find of a Monegasque police cap shows a dark grey one. OTOH, it could be dress uniform ....

#23 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 00:00

If police caps are important, the cop in this part of photo #3
is wearing the classic Mexican hat, complete with bogus
"50-mission crush". I wonder if the lineage of that style
can be traced to Iberia.

Posted Image

#24 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 06:24

Note for David.....What is/was a Victoria Climax ? There's a touch of over-excited royalty about the name but ........

Sorry to disappoint. It was a one-off built and raced by Cedric Brierley 1957-58 with considerable success in club-level 1100 sprtscar races

#25 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:12

No4 I think is the Halsylac !!!!

#26 Bladrian

Bladrian

• 1,491 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:17

.. And whilst Googling proves he drove an Ausper, I find that typing Victoria Climax into Google is not a good idea.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I can just imagine ....

#27 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 13:04

Too modern for the first Halseylec (WPK6), though not sure if the second Halseylec (7BPA) looked the same as the first

#28 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 16:39

Just to finish off this bundle of snaps…
This seems to be another shot of Gubby in an Ausper. A car with the same number is in the Monaco grid shot..
Posted Imagefor larger image click here

He drove an Lotus 18 too? Where?

Dunboyne again?

A nice Monaco shot

#29 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 02:40

Re; pic no.2, Brian Gubby drove a Ausper T4 and he is pictured ( several shots ) in Bernard Cowdrey's book, "Formula Junior, the complete A-Z " page 14, but the keen eye will observe there are several differences in the cars pictured and photo no.2.
So, can anyone identify which T4 he is driving of the four built.
The one in the Cowdrey book is now owned by Martin Carter in the UK, there is one here in Australia formerly raced by John Ampt which has a 15 degree engine which the pictured car must have otherwise the carbs would be on the right, and there is another car in New York. The fourth car's whereabouts I am unsure of.