Photo

Chaparral photo gallery!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:52

I put my name and initinals because one day I do not want to find one of my photos circulating and someone taking credit for it.

Jim and Sandy Hall
Posted Image

I posed with the Chap. 2F
Posted Image

Jim Hall about to cut the ribbon signalling the opening of the gallery.
Posted Image

Johnny Rutherford Indy 500 and CART championship car, Chap 2K, greets you.
Posted Image

Chaparral 2H
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chaparral 2G
Posted Image

Chaparral 2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Chaparral 2D - this was housed at garage built inside.
Posted Image

Chaparral 2J
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Replica of Chaparral 2E - you can get in the cockpit and pose for pictures. Your legs will be jammed up. On the left side, there are pedals to move the rear wing. It's also a two seater.
Posted Image

Crew Uniform
Posted Image

Here's the autograph session as 5 were signing inside the tent. They are...

Vic Elford
Posted Image

Troy Rogers - chief mechanic
Posted Image

Gil de Ferran
Posted Image

Jim Hall
Posted Image

Jim and Sandy Hall
Posted Image

It was a great experience for me. For those two days at Rattlesnake then at the Chap. Gallery it felt like heaven. For some strange reason I can feel the auras of the cars and garages. Pictures of the mechanics working on the car then driving it on tracks. Also there's art pictures of the Chaparrals and bronze heads of Hall, Mario Andretti, Mark Donahue and Jimmy Clark. This gallery is a must see and I encourage race fans to go visit there.

I missed a great photo opportunity. Just as turn both my cameras off right in front of my view was Jim Hall and Gil de Ferran hugging each other good-bye; a great gesture. I need to get the film developed sometime this week and scan the photos. It might be up next week.

Advertisement

#2 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:05

Whoaa!!!!!

Fantastic stuff. Thanks again Pikachu!

MCS

#3 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:34

Great!!! :clap:

Fantastic pic.

Someone knows why Jim used often color white and number 66 (or 65)?

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:54

Thanks, these are really great pictures. Glad to see the cars finally being made available. I guess I will have to add Midlands to my list of places to visit....

#5 rjl850

rjl850

• 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 18:22

I was at this event also, and would like to add a bit of commentary. The best part of the weekend for me was the so called "Conversation with Legends" on Friday afternnoon. This was a 1-1/2-hour long panel discussion with several drivers, mechanics, and others who were involved in the Chaparral team.

I'll get to that in a minute. First a general comment on the Chaparral cars. My impression -- from reading Richard Falconer's and Doug Nye's book, from seeing the cars, and hearing the drivers and team members talk -- it is clear that these were not just cars with an aerodynamic gimmick that allowed them to compete above their potential. They were well prepared, carefully engineered, and even beautiful (though certainly unconventional) to look at. In addition to their obvious aerodynamic innovations, they were among the first to use composite monococque construction, and twin, rear mounted radiators (for more favorable weight distribution, and to free up the front of the car for downforce-generating devices). Brian Redman made the observation that Porsche, for whom he was driving at the time, was until 1970, still building cars to go very fast down the straight, at the expense of going fast round the corners.

Chaparral perhaps underachieved in international competition the one year they competed, but against the likes of Ferrari and Ford of the late 60s they managed two wins -- at the Brands Hatch 500 and Nurburgring 1000km. Every other race, they DNFed. If the automatic gearbox that caused so many of their DNFs had been up to scratch, who knows. As an aside, at its biggest, the team had 13 employees, Nevertheless, no excuses, they were good cars.

Anyway, as promised, here's a recap of who attended the "Conversations with Legends" forum, and what they said. All information is from my (possibly faulty) memory. (If there is any interest, I can also post some photos of the discussion panel, the Chaparral workshop, and more of the cars themselves.)

Dan Gurney: Surprise visitor to the panel. No direct relationship with Jim Hall, except that he was an American driver and car builder of the same era.

Franz Weiz: Mechanic, crew chief, and engine guru -- also a very good test driver. Brian Redman said no one was faster than Franz around Rattlesnake Raceway.

Ronny Hissom: Local hotshoe and Chaparral driver in the early days.

Brian Redman: Drove for a for the Jim Hall/Carl Haas F5000 team in the 70s. One year, identical Lolas were sent to the Lola factory in England and to the Chaparral team in Midland. Redman went to England to test and prepare the car under Eric Broadley himself, while Hall and the Chaparral team prepared a car at their Midland workshop. After months of preparation, the two "teams" met at Riverside for the first race of the season. After driving both cars, Redman chose the Chaparral-prepared car, and went on to win the race, passing Jody Scheckter in the process.

Phil Hill: Recounted Nurburgring 1966, which he won driving a Chaparral 2D. - Hill had pulled out a substantial lead when it started to rain. Firestone supplied the team with rain tires, but apparently, they were nearly worthless. The Chaparral team had experimented with cutting two fairly wide circumferential grooves out of the tires to allow water to evacuate. (Picture the grooves in a modern F1 tire, but wider). Phil Hill described one as something like 'three little tires.' The tires worked perfectly, and after losing time in the pits, Hill in fact extended his lead.

Nearing the end of the race, his windscreen became muddy, and a faulty wiper made matters worse. Because of the automatic gearbox in the car, Hill couldn't stop the car to get out and clean the windscreen. Instead, he slowed to a crawl, opened the door, crawled halfway out of the car and cleaned the windscreen by hand. A cameraman observed him, and thought he was out of the race. This was announced on the lousdpeaker, much to the dismay of the Chaparral team. Hill, of course, was not out of the race, and went on to win.

Vic Elford: Drove the Chaparral 2J ('sucker car') for a few races in the Can Am series. The car never finished a race before it was banned, but was very fast indeed while it was running. Elford spoke fondly of his time with Hall and Chaparral, and obviously enjoyed it. Apparently, the team scared him nearly to death with warnings about snakes and tarantulas at Rattlesnake Raceway, and never to get out of the car if he had an off or otherwise stopped while testing there.

Bob Donner: Drove an early (front-engined) Chaparral at Sebring in 1963. Said that down the straight at 140 mph or so, the front end had so much lift that you could move the steering wheel back and forth all you wanted, but the car wouldn't steer! He asked fellow driver Ronny Hissom, "what if I come up on an Austin Healey or something?" Ronny replied, "slow down and drive around him!"

Jim Hall: Too much to recount here!

-Bob

#6 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 18:33

Superb Stuff!!! When I saw my first Chaparral and spoke to Jim Hall and Phil Hill about them I got gooseflesh non-stop; so imagine my demeanour when faced with a whole nest of 'em!

#7 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 20:03

One of the greatest satisfactions of my professional life has been to see Jim and the Chaparrals running at Goodwood, to be enjoyed and appreciated and marvelled at by fans this side of the Atlantic. It's wonderful to see these photos now of what Jim was telling us about last summer - and of what will surely become a major automotive place of worship...

DCN

#8 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 20:32

I shall begin saving my pennies for the trip right now.
Thanks for posting the pictures, Ray.

#9 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 20:38

Great pix, thanks! :up:

#10 scdecade

scdecade

• 638 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 20:53

Originally posted by Don Capps
Thanks, these are really great pictures. Glad to see the cars finally being made available. I guess I will have to add Midlands to my list of places to visit....

Ditto. Fantastic stuff!

#11 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 22:09

I once passed through Midland on a Sunday and managed to find Rattlesnake and the Hall operation, but it was, naturally, locked down. I remember thinking that it was quite fascinating to realize just how much Chaparral meant to some of us of a certain age.....

Like Steve and many others have stated, it is now on the list of places to visit....

#12 scdecade

scdecade

• 638 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 02:45

Again, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Jim Hall is a true original.

Great to see Gil De Ferran too! Does anyone know what the ex-champ is up to?

#13 mickj

mickj

• 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:49

Ray
Excellent Photos. Its people like you who were there, posting the photos, make us who could not be there, feel as though we were. Thanks for sharing.
Mick

rjl850 post away with your photos.

#14 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 04:05

Thank you for the kind words everyone! The Chaps. meant something big about the city of Midland. Jim Hall is one of few most celebrated icons at Midland. The list included President George W. Bush, retired Gen. Tommy Franks, and former baseball player Randy Velarde. What was built are aerodynamics, speed, and well-prepared cars brought memories to auto racing fans and car enthuisiasts in this windy dusty city.

It seems Midland has better museums (Confederate Air Force museum is also a must go) and baseball/football stadium than finding somewhere to go in the city.

I spoke to Gil de Ferran if he ever missed racing. He doesn't miss it one bit and enjoying life. He was there just for first autograph signing before leaving.

#15 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:25

Really great photos! Thanks a lot!

#16 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:03

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! :up:

#17 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:58

Great Pics!

Here are some from they guys that set up the slot car racing track. http://www.hsarc.net/

Jim Hall abd Chaparral hold a special place in the hearts of slot car lovers.

#18 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:03

Ray.f.w--- thanks for those great pic's :up: Well done that will be a day you won't forget in a hurry.

#19 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:31

Few more photos to share

Jim Hall getting out of the Chap. 2F. It was driven by his son Jim Jr.
Posted Image

Jim Hall cuts the ribbon
Posted Image

Jim Hall and Gil de Ferran share their moments before their good-bye
Posted Image

Here's me and Gil de Ferran
Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 23:00

Thank you so much for the fantastic pictures. :up: :up: :up:
If you have any more of the 2J, please pass them along.
This has always been, and always be my most fave CAN/AM car.
When I was about 6, I saw this car, either at Watkins Glen or Mosport. My oldest brother made such a fuss over it that it always stuck with me. He ignited my interest in auto racing and it has never passed.
He has the front wheel from a '76 Lotus in his office and I have a front from an '85 Jag Group C proudly displayed in my living room...
Let's just not ask how they were acquired...
My brother may have started me off but Jim Hall was, absolutely the catalyst!

:wave: :wave: :wave:

#21 harryglorydays

harryglorydays

• 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 23:16

Thanks Pikachu for the wonderful photos! What a fantastic day that was. For the request for a shot of the 2J, here's one of Elford at Road Atlanta in 1970:

Posted Image

#22 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 00:01

Originally posted by harryglorydays
Thanks Pikachu for the wonderful photos! What a fantastic day that was. For the request for a shot of the 2J, here's one of Elford at Road Atlanta in 1970:

Posted Image

Thank you Harry,
You are much to kind, ya know? :kiss:

#23 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:47

Can anyone tell me what this car sounded like, as it drove by? I wonder if you could hear the fan engine over the Chevy.

#24 harryglorydays

harryglorydays

• 81 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:30

Originally posted by wibblywobbly
Can anyone tell me what this car sounded like, as it drove by? I wonder if you could hear the fan engine over the Chevy.

Funny you should ask that. We arrived at Road Atlanta mid-way through one of the practice sessions (Thursday or Friday). As we got out of the car, all you could hear was this extremely loud and some-what high-pitched noise from the back side of the track. It grew steadily louder as the Chaparral came under the bridge and down the hill toward the front straight.

Even though it had a 427 Chevy, the two-stroke snowmobile engine completely drowned out its larger brother. It ran at a constant speed (not sure what RPM - but it was high). It was like all your neighbors using their "weed-wackers" at the same time. Plus, it blew out all sorts of debris from the rear fans. I'm sure the other drivers didn't like being in back of it! But, when the auxiliary engine was running properly, it literally "cornered on rails" compared to all the other cars out there. It was really something.

#25 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:25

Henry

Posted Image

#26 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:14

Originally posted by harryglorydays

It was like all your neighbors using their "weed-wackers" at the same time.

Is that how you chaps refer to your gardeners, old boy?

;)

#27 doc540

doc540

• 259 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 22:58

Why it's enough to make a Texan proud. (as if we needed anything, right?) :lol:

btw: Y'all do know the name "chaparral" is just fancy wordin' for "roadrunner", don'cha?

Posted Image

Fastest bird on two legs in Texas and, in fact, is the state bird of New Mexico.

Roadrunner vs Coyote...a Texas matchup!

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 23:03

Originally posted by doc540
Posted Image

No wonder Jim's cars always looked that bit different...

#29 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 18:29

Having lived off and on in Texas for some 30 years I have seen these birds on several ocassions and they REALLY are FAST! It's an amazing visual experience.

#30 biercemountain

biercemountain

• 1,014 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 19:27

Originally posted by Pikachu Racing
Johnny Rutherford Indy 500 and CART championship car, Chap 2K, greets you.
Posted Image

Is it just me, or does the Chap 2k look remarkably similar to a Lotus 79?

#31 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 19:53

Ray very nice pictures. Franz Weis and Troy Rogers were two great guys who worked their butts off. Jim Hall was way ahead of everyone. His cars were like looking into the twilight zone.

#32 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 00:39

When Mr. Hall was on a budget.

Love those white side wall tires that rolled all the way from Texas.

Henry

Posted Image

If anyone has a direct contact will Jim Hall please PM me as he will soon be inducted into the Augusta International Raceway Hall of Fame and he needs to be informed!

#33 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 21:57

Here's a picture that Jerry just sent, Midland around 1977 : It's Jerry and his wife Carmen visiting Franz and Troy. That was before they started dying their hair gray and walking a lot slower...

Posted Image

#34 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 22:03

And another picture of a young Jim Hall and Franz working. Credit to Ed Sauer who took the picture and Tam's site for allowing to put it here:

Posted Image

and is that a Studebaker Avanti, one of my favorite cars, next to the Porsche truck?

#35 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 19:30

Here are some pictures of the Chaparral 2K and Rutherford from last year's Festival of Speed :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#36 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,478 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 23:36

Originally posted by Pedro 917
Here's a picture that Jerry just sent, Midland around 1977 : It's Jerry and his wife Carmen visiting Franz and Troy. That was before they started dying their hair gray and walking a lot slower...

Posted Image

Near the exit ramp of I-20 and Rankin Hwy. A brand new cementary is near their HQ. There's a newly built WalMart at the I-20 and Rankin Hwy intersection along with shopping strip with Gamestop, Dominos Pizza, McAllister Deli, and Woods Boots. The exit ramp is still 35 MPH.

#37 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:35

Ray 30 years ago it was out in the country. Thanks again for the great pictures of the dedication of the museum. Like everyone has said before it lets everyone be a part of it and enjoy the moment.