Photo

The Mildren Ti Super - 1964

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 00:59

A question has come up... was this highly successful car built by Cornera or by Autodelta?

Stuart Randall feels sure it wasn't Autodelta. Later cars such as the GTAs and the TZs were never in as good shape at the Ti Super was when it arrived... and they did come from Autodelta.

Is there anyone out there, possibly in Italy, who might know about this? Roberto Businello came out with the car to drive it at its late 1964 debut.

Advertisement

#2 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:03

Hi Ray

Not too sure that the Euro Alfisti are going to associate Mildren with Alfa Romeo, but you never know. :)

The new owner of the Ti Super, who I labelled as a "Japanese Collector" actually posts here under the name "richardspringett" - he posted on the TZ1 thread about using the Ti Super as a daily driver. :eek:

Other than that, I would think that the previous owner, John Emery in Melbourne would know as well as David Wright.

As for the Ti Super being built by "Cornera" don't you mean "Conrero."

And to answer your question, I have no idea. But its possible that I might be speaking to a couple of people (here in Sydney who worked for Mildrens) who might.

#3 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 21:57

Although Conrero built some cars with Alfa motors, as far as I know, when it came to "production" Alfas, he was only a tuner.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 21:40

Originally posted by Paul Newby
.....As for the Ti Super being built by "Cornera" don't you mean "Conrero."

And to answer your question, I have no idea. But its possible that I might be speaking to a couple of people (here in Sydney who worked for Mildrens) who might.

Whoops... Stuart wasn't sure of the spelling... thanks for the replies.

Okay, Paul, Stuart could well be one of the most apt 'people who worked for Mildren's' to ask, and it's actually him that's doing the asking! It was his question that prompted the initial post.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 21:46

Originally posted by dretceterini
Although Conrero built some cars with Alfa motors, as far as I know, when it came to "production" Alfas, he was only a tuner.

That's exactly what Stuart believes... that Alfa had this particular car tuned by Conrero...

Unlike all the Autodelta cars they had later (TZs and GTAs), it arrived race ready... not needing a complete rebuild.

#6 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 23:26

As far as I'm aware, Aotodelta not only built "team" cars, but also sold race prepared ones to private individuals, so some were later "tuned" by Conrero, Fascetti, and others. By the way, my name is also Stuart :)

#7 Darren

Darren

• 593 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 23:30

Originally posted by Paul Newby

Other than that, I would think that the previous owner, John Emery in Melbourne would know as well as David Wright.

Interesting comments, Ray. I raised the question with David and he's confident it's an Autodelta car. He says Alec Mildren made contact with Chiti in 1963 (when he went over looking for Maserati engines for the Cooper) and organised a deal for 1964 - Chiti would supply an Autodelta car, spares and a driver, and Mildren would supply a co-driver, the team and sponsorship. The interesting bit is that David thinks it *was* rebuilt on arrival, by Glen Abbey (sp?), because a) it had done a season in Italy and b) Mildren was a meticulous preparer and insisted on a full strip and rebuild.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:55

Not according to Stuart... and he was there.

The car was checked over and taken to Sandown, where it won the 6-hour.

Later cars were all stripped and rebuilt, with many frailties and problems corrected along the way, but this car was (according to Stuart) unique in that it arrived in good shape and gave no trouble.

#9 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 211 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 14:17

According to Fusi chassis #595179 - #595501 were built in 1964. The ex-Mildren car is near the end of this series, suggesting a late '64 build.

However a car rebuilt by Conrero - working primarily for privateers - for the works may suggest a previous race history?

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 15:50

From memory, the race was in November 1964... that doesn't leave much time for earlier racing...

#11 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 15:58

What does Elvira at the archives have on the chassis number?