Photo

Puzzle from the Gold Cup

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 16:59

Each time I have visited the Oulton Park Gold Cup, in its current form, I have noticed a rather prosperous looking gentleman sitting next to his Aston Martin, always in the same place under a tree inside the exit of Old Hall. He is usually sipping champagne, and usually has a bit of an entourage. This year Jack Brabham and Roy Salvadori took the trouble to go out to Old Hall to meet him. Who is he?

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 17:29

Is it the bloke who runs Midland Racing Models in Rugby? Mike someone...? He used to race in the '60s, in T70s and stuff. If it's him, he tested an F5000 once... :eek:

Twinny :)

#3 Criceto

Criceto

• 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 18:14

I don't *think* it's Mike Coombe, if for no other reason than he is more usually seen behind the wheel of a BMW 635!

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 21:23

I thought it might be Tim Parnell, but then I realised I was just dreaming.....  ;)

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 21:49

Tim Parnell is quite slim these days (confirmed at Goodwood). And even at his peak, he was never that broad :lol:

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 21:52

Bubbles Horsley ??

#7 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 21:54

Originally posted by Gary C
Bubbles Horsley ??

Actually, I thought it might be Bubbles too.

Twinny :)

#8 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:48

Originally posted by Gary C
Bubbles Horsley ??

Good one, but would Jack & Roy have been acquainted with him?

#9 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:17

His surname is 'Ricketts' but I cannot recall his christian name.

Seem to think that he made his money in financial world but couldn't swear to it. Manchester/Cheshire based.

I know off him because he used to own a blue Aston DBS V8 that he would enter in the AMOC races at Oulton, and on occasions used to 'hire' a friend of mine, Steve Cole, ( TVR driver) to race it.

He bought a beautiful Gordon Keeble a good few years back, if my memory serves me well, but I have not actually heard any 'current' word of him for many years.

Strangely, I saw him in the distance at the Gold Cup, this year but didnt get a chance to speak with him.

As mentioned he is always at the same location on the 'Avenue' at Oulton, usual surrounded by an array of nice vehicles and empty champagne bottles. Knows how to enjoy himself!!

Andrew

#10 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:18

Having further considered my last post, I'm almost certain his name is Peter......

Andrew

#11 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:11

Originally posted by amr2
His surname is 'Ricketts' but I cannot recall his christian name.

Seem to think that he made his money in financial world but couldn't swear to it. Manchester/Cheshire based.

I know off him because he used to own a blue Aston DBS V8 that he would enter in the AMOC races at Oulton, and on occasions used to 'hire' a friend of mine, Steve Cole, ( TVR driver) to race it.

He bought a beautiful Gordon Keeble a good few years back, if my memory serves me well, but I have not actually heard any 'current' word of him for many years.

Strangely, I saw him in the distance at the Gold Cup, this year but didnt get a chance to speak with him.

As mentioned he is always at the same location on the 'Avenue' at Oulton, usual surrounded by an array of nice vehicles and empty champagne bottles. Knows how to enjoy himself!!

Andrew

If someone asked him nicely on my behalf, do you think he would let me have a drive in his Gordon Keeble? I lust after one of those luvverly motors. I'd even buy him a bottle of cheap plonk to keep him sweet.

#12 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 22:34

Originally posted by David Beard
... a rather prosperous looking gentleman sitting next to his Aston Martin, always in the same place under a tree inside the exit of Old Hall. He is usually sipping champagne, and usually has a bit of an entourage. This year Jack Brabham and Roy Salvadori took the trouble to go out to Old Hall to meet him. Who is he?

Is it David Beard?

#13 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:51

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Is it David Beard?

:confused: I've never known you to be wrong about anything, Roger, so I suppose it must be.;)

#14 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:09

In that case, David, perhaps you could tell us how much Michelin pay you for your image rights?!

Twinny :) :up:

#15 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:14

OK for Sir Jack and Roy Salvadori, but who's the punter in the middle?

Edward

#16 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:38

He is Derek Lawson - the marshal who wrote the 520-page Oulton Park book...'Sun, Rain...And Even Snow', LR Publishing, 2003.

DCN

#17 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 18:17

Originally posted by Doug Nye
He is Derek Lawson - the marshal who wrote the 520-page Oulton Park book...'Sun, Rain...And Even Snow', LR Publishing, 2003.

DCN

Impressive tome.....but I have had to stick it full of "post it" notes to aid navigation....

#18 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 20:12

Impressive tome.....but I have had to stick it full of "post it" notes to aid navigation....

Didn't know anybody had written a book about Oulton Park.

Apart from the navigation David, is it any good?

Doesn't it have an index?!

MCS

#19 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 20:25

Perhaps that's a classical 'yes' 'no' answer?... :yawn:

DCN

Advertisement

#20 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 21:01

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Perhaps that's a classical 'yes' 'no' answer?... :yawn:

DCN

Oh, ha ha ha ;)

Have you read it Doug?

Is it any good??!

MCS

#21 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 21:17

I think for its purpose it IS very good - although the early years are dusted over rather too lightly in my view - but it is indeed a complete nightmare to navigate and (like all the best books which make better use of the paper) it lacks an index...

DCN

#22 JazzyKat

JazzyKat

• 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 16:13

The book is indeed quite good, but enormous and takes some reading. I bought it at the Gold Cup last year, straight from Derek himself [together with an invitation to join the marshals team for this year, but time has prevented it so far] and signed by him. I admit to also not having got to the end yet, but I will, eventually. :blush:

OH, and Hi all. :)

#23 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 16:34

Two questions:

a. Does he tell the story of the naming of Knickerbrook?

And 2. Is the book generally available?

#24 JazzyKat

JazzyKat

• 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 21:46

In answer to your questions [not very helpfully I am afraid] :-

1 - certainly havent seen it, although it may be there, but I have been told of the reasons, and

2 - I really dont know. As I said, I bought my copy at the track, though I imagine there must be some way of getting hold of it. If its any help its published by LR Publishing [GB] and the following website was selling it, although whether any of the 1000 copies are left, I dont know

http://www.total-spo...r.com/books.htm

#25 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 00:00

One place you can get the Oulton book is here:-
Dayz of Funder Motorsport Club
http://www.dofmc.org.uk/frMain.htm

Apparently they've got four copies (but make that three now :-) )

And I should've said, proceeds go to the Whizz Kids charity (I think).

#26 JohnB

JohnB

• 69 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 00:28

Ah, nearly forgot to post this bit too. This is from John Francis who replied to the E-mail from the charity site:-

"The latest news is that Derek Lawson is starting work on the sequel, this
will index the first book and have a great many pictures that have been
given to him subsequent to the first book being published. However, if you
would also like a copy of that then keep your ear to the ground as only 500 of them are going to be published!"

Well, since I didn't hear about the first one I suppose I need to listen a bit better next time!

#27 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 15:00

Back to David's original question - have we definitely established who this portly chap is?, and why he is apparently pals with Brabham and Salvadori?

As an Oulton Park regular since the 70's I too have often wondered who he is - always parked under the same tree with his entourage and "champers and hampers". Some of his friends have some pretty nice cars as well, including an immaculate black Speed Six Bentley.

To be blunt I think the Oulton Park book is pretty badly written, and the last half of it is little more than mundane rundowns of who won what in insiginificant clubby races over the last 20 years. It cries out for some appendices, never mind an index. I do realise it was an amatuer effort (and no doubt better than I could have managed).

The book doesn't cover motorcycle racing at Oulton either - I've heard a rumour that someone else is though.

#28 delboy59

delboy59

• 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:00

:wave:

To all above...first of all I am flattered to think that you thought that the man beneath the tree is me, the author of the book that is named throughout! Sadly it ain't.

Secondly, I take on the chin the comments about the lack of index in the book. Time and costs prevented me from doing this, which brings me on to...

Finally, the new book is now available (but with dwindling stocks) called 'More Sun, More Rain...And Even More Snow'. This is a pictorial record of the first 50 years of CAR racing at Oulton Park and contains the index to both books. Please send a PM if you want more info'.

Cheers

D

PS the man at Old Hall is actually Peter Rickitt! :up:

#29 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 21:36

Originally posted by delboy59
:wave:

To all above...first of all I am flattered to think that you thought that the man beneath the tree is me, the author of the book that is named throughout! Sadly it ain't.

Secondly, I take on the chin the comments about the lack of index in the book. Time and costs prevented me from doing this, which brings me on to...

Finally, the new book is now available (but with dwindling stocks) called 'More Sun, More Rain...And Even More Snow'. This is a pictorial record of the first 50 years of CAR racing at Oulton Park and contains the index to both books. Please send a PM if you want more info'.

Cheers

D

PS the man at Old Hall is actually Peter Rickitt! :up:

Good to see you here Derek. There are plenty of Oulton threads knocking about....have a go with the Search BB function. I'm sure you have lots to contribute :)

#30 amr2

amr2

• 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:02

Thank you for comfirming the information that I provided at item 9 above, Dennis.

Do you know anymore about him?

I have certainly been enjoying the recent threads about both Oulton Park and Aintree.....

Anyone fancy recalling days passed at Longridge, just to round off the NW circuits...

Regards to all.

Andrew

#31 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:52

Peter Rickitt, Merchant Banker I believe based Manchester

#32 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:24

Originally posted by Sharman
Peter Rickitt, Merchant Banker I believe based Manchester

Yep. Father of Coronation Street actor Adam Rickitt.

#33 Ian Titchmarsh

Ian Titchmarsh

• 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 18:54

And if you have copies of Autosport from c 1965 you will find that Peter wrote some rather good one page profiles of the F3 stars of that time eg Piers Courage, Roy Pike, Chris Irwin. Her's a great enthusiast in more senses than one!

#34 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 19:33

A warm welcome, Ian :wave:
Does your joining us here mean we're going to have to argue in a more public forum from now on? :rotfl:

#35 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 20:16

Originally posted by David McKinney
A warm welcome, Ian :wave:

And again... :wave: :wave:

#36 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 22:05

And again... :wave: :wave:

Wow. Really hope you're able to share some of your immense knowledge here, Mr Titchmarsh. :up:

#37 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 22:16

I'm delighted to echo the foregoing sentiments - welcome, Ian.

#38 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 23:57

Maybe we can get some gardening tips too!  ;)

sorry

#39 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:44

Sycophants.
If you look at the profile the Ian Titchmarsh who posted comes from Merseyside and is a solicitor. Both of which criteria give doubt to the veracity of of the profile and/or the opinions expressed :lol:

Advertisement

#40 Ian Titchmarsh

Ian Titchmarsh

• 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 18:41

Thanks (I think) to at least some of you for the welcome. It's all Simon Taylor's fault. He told me about TNF (is that what you're meant to call it?) a few weeks ago and I can see that it could become habit-forming.

So, Alan, what was the name of the circuit in Scotland which was advertised in very large letters on the sides of Malcolm Hamilton's E-type in Intermarque for a season some years ago? This was a Peter Rickitt initiative which was unfortunately thwarted for various reasons. Do you have a picture?

David Mac - how many different 250F Maseratis did Fangio drive at Aintree in 1957, on which days, and with what numbers (chassis and racing)? Or is this what is called starting a new thread?

#41 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 19:58

Originally posted by Ian Titchmarsh
David Mac - how many different 250F Maseratis did Fangio drive at Aintree in 1957, on which days, and with what numbers (chassis and racing)? Or is this what is called starting a new thread?

Can't do that precisely
However, in practice he drove 2527 (as #2), 2528 (4) and 2529 (6)
and in the race 2529 (4)
At which point I have to admit that this information comes not from my own research but from fellow TNFer Barrie Hobkirk, who would no doubt have zapped in and beaten me to it had he not been on business in foreign climes as we speak
Doesn't need to be a new thread unless a whole side-tracked debate develops ;)

#42 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 21:39

Sorry, Ian - I can recall a Scottish venue being advertised on Malcolm Hamilton's E-Type, but can't bring the name to mind, and haven't been able to rake up a side shot of the car (yet!).

I expect you know that Malcom owned the house, just the other side of the wall at Druids, and had his own grandstand in the back garden from which you had a splendid view of Druids approach that no one else ever saw. I say 'owned', because it was up for sale; don't know if he has sold it by now.

It used to be the house where Collie Knox, the former circuit manager, lived.

#43 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 23:32

Originally posted by David McKinney

Can't do that precisely
However, in practice he drove 2527 (as #2), 2528 (4) and 2529 (6)
and in the race 2529 (4)
At which point I have to admit that this information comes not from my own research but from fellow TNFer Barrie Hobkirk, who would no doubt have zapped in and beaten me to it had he not been on business in foreign climes as we speak
Doesn't need to be a new thread unless a whole side-tracked debate develops ;)

I wouldn't dream of questioning you on 250F chassis numbers, but didn't he have racing number 2 in the race? If not, he was disguised as Jean Behra.

#44 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 23:35

The cunning devil!

#45 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:17

Originally posted by Alan Cox
Sorry, Ian - I can recall a Scottish venue being advertised on Malcolm Hamilton's E-Type, but can't bring the name to mind, and haven't been able to rake up a side shot of the car (yet!).

Scottish circuit that never happened was something like 'Polkememet' an old coal mine between Edinburgh & Glasgow.

#46 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:32

Originally posted by Roger Clark
I wouldn't dream of questioning you on 250F chassis numbers, but didn't he have racing number 2 in the race? If not, he was disguised as Jean Behra.

:blush:
Three out of four isn't really good enough, is it?

#47 mja

mja

• 24 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:11

Thanks (I think) to at least some of you for the welcome. It's all Simon Taylor's fault. He told me about TNF (is that what you're meant to call it?) a few weeks ago and I can see that it could become habit-forming.

So, Alan, what was the name of the circuit in Scotland which was advertised in very large letters on the sides of Malcolm Hamilton's E-type in Intermarque for a season some years ago? This was a Peter Rickitt initiative which was unfortunately thwarted for various reasons. Do you have a picture?

Circuit was called Forestburn!

#48 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:59

Each time I have visited the Oulton Park Gold Cup, in its current form, I have noticed a rather prosperous looking gentleman sitting next to his Aston Martin, always in the same place under a tree inside the exit of Old Hall. He is usually sipping champagne, and usually has a bit of an entourage. This year Jack Brabham and Roy Salvadori took the trouble to go out to Old Hall to meet him. Who is he?

Posted Image

Of course we now all know that this fine gentleman is indeed Peter Rickitt, founding father of and Grande Fromage at the splendid Cholmondeley Pageant of Power! :up:

#49 BDM977B

BDM977B

• 48 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:31

Of course we now all know that this fine gentleman is indeed Peter Rickitt, founding father of and Grande Fromage at the splendid Cholmondeley Pageant of Power! :up:

Isn't the chap between Sir Jack and Roy Salvadori, one of Jack's sons?

#50 Auroraf1

Auroraf1

• 367 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:44

Isn't the chap between Sir Jack and Roy Salvadori, one of Jack's sons?

It is in fact Derek Lawson author of "In Sun Rain and Even Snow"