Photo

Kincraft Formula Libre/F5000

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 441 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 18:23

The Kincraft made several appearance in Libre and F5000 races with several drivers.
What is known about the car?
Was there one or more than 1?

Advertisement

#2 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 23:03

Last time I saw the FORMULA LIBRE Kincraft it was being driven by Robin Darlington at Oulton Park in the 70s. As far as I am aware there was just one single seater built. It was used in Formula Libre in the mid 60s and made a handful of appearances in Formula 5000 for which it was probably the inspiration!

Can't remember off hand whose hands it passed through but I saw it for sale in 1968 for 2500 quid - a bargain! :cool:

#3 richie

richie

• 441 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 23:20

Hi Stephen

:up: didn't Max Rheinhart........ and someone else drive the F5000 car

#4 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:42

For details of ALL cars that took part in F500 races in the UK and the USA consult Allen Brown's excellent website www.oldracingcars.com
:cool:

The Kincraft passed through many hands before hitting the F5000 scene. It was THE Formula Libre car for many seasons as its 4.7 Cobra unit, neat construction and excellent handling characteristics made it unbeatable.

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:53

Is it just me?
I did check Allen's site a couple of days ago, Steve, but couldn't find any Kincraft reference

#6 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:30

I have a feeling the Kin Craft was a Cooper originally, but it was definatetly a major force in Formula Libre (Which was magnificent at the time, wish they still did it that way).
The Formula 5000 championship wasn't excactly inspired by the Kin craft, but it would have helped make it look a viable proposition.
Im pretty sure Nick Syrett and John Webb were the principal instigators of F5000, I'm sure it was them who convinced Guards Ciggy company to put the money up for a 1969 having seen the US series (which wasn't a big success straight away incedently, so they did a pretty good PR job). The SCCA were running Formula A in the States in 68, which was open to Formula One cars as well early on. In the first season nearly all the competitive engines in the Guards series were buily by US Formula A experts like Traco and Bartz, although later Morand from Switzerland and others would get involved.

#7 MCS

MCS

• 4,688 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 15:41

The Kincraft appeared in Ian Stronach's hands in a handful of Formula Libre races in 1972 (maybe 73) in the north of England I recall.

I had read about it, but wasn't quite sure what to expect when I read that it was entered for a Libre race at Oulton Park. It looked as though front and rear wings had been added as a form of "modernisation" I remember. But pictures? Never seen one.

But Stronach didn't do any of the F5000 rounds - nor did the previous owner/s as far as I can remember - hence the lack of info on oldracingcars.com I suspect, David...

Mark

#8 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 16:49

This info was given to me a couple of years back by Roger Cowman - who had previously owned the car. He faxed to me a long feature written many years ago by Mike Kettlewell about the car. Here is an edited version :

The Kincraft-Ford V8 single seater was one of the most successful cars in British Club Racing in the late 60s. From 1965-68 driven by Jack Pearce, John Hine, Robin Darlington and Jim Moore, it notched up a remarkable total of 56 wins and broke numerous lap records.

The car was the brainchild of Midlands industrialist Jack Pearce from Tipton, Staffs, who had previously raced Lotuses with much success. In '64, Pearce approached Lotus designer Len Terry and asked him to design the ultimate Libre car. Terry was under exclusive contract to Lotus but agreed so long as the detail work was given to Lotus draughtsman Martin Wade. Terry based the car on the Gilby B type F1 car he had designed in 1961-62 before joining Lotus. Waide took over and masterminded the construction at Pearce's premises.

As it was to be powered by the Ford 4727 cc engine, the spaceframe chassis had to be strong and was braced by a stressed floor-pan. Brabham uprights, hubs and wheels were utilised to save costs. Transmission was via a 4 speed Hewland LG500 box.

Completed in 1965 and code named Kincraft FL-012-1, the car had its first race at Brands on June 20. Pearce finished 3rd. A week later it won at Snetterton, but disaster struck over in Ireland for the Leinster Trophy on the Dunboyne road course. Pearce collided with the F2 Brabham of Adam Wyllie who was killed. Pearce was uninjured but the Kincraft was badly damaged.

Following repairs, John Hine then raced the car and won at Brands on November 28th. It was then sold to David Bridges for 1966 and finished 2nd and 3rd before being sold to Welsh farmer Robin Darlington. He won 18 races with it! On August 20 '66 it was crashed at Oulton and was returned to Jack Pearce for repairs.

Jim Moore, a garage owner from Thornton Heath bought the car but he crashed first time out at Brands in November. However, in 1967 he won 20 races with it but still had dramas! On Easter Monday '67 he crashed at Mallory, repaired the car for a mid-week test at Brands and promptly overturned it breaking his shoulder. Undeterred he attempted to race 4 days later but the pain from his injuries caused him to crash again! The car was out of action for 3 1/2 months.
Moore kept the car for 1968 winning 18 races including the BRSCC Northern F.Libre Championship title. Again it was crashed due to rose joint failure at Brands but was rebuilt with F1 style wide wheels.

It was the accepted forerunner of F5000 but as this formula was introduced the Kincraft 'disappeared'. It was reputedly sold to John Scott-Davies and was infact entered for the first F5000 race at Oulton on Good Friday 1969 by veteran Cobra driver Lord Cross. It was not seen again until 1971 when amateur driver Max Reinhard raced it on northern club circuits - Reinhard claimed to have found the car 'somewhere in Brighton.'
Reinhard sold the car to Ian Stronach who continued to campaign the outdated car on northern circuits.

When Roger Cowman acquired it the car was a real mess with Chevron style wide nose. It will be sold as it was in 1966 when Robin Darlington drove it. Roger has consulted Robin on its rebuild.
Jack Pearce built further Kincrafts, a Can Am type sports car in 1966 (which did not race until 1978! - now owned by American Richard Blenko) and a series of 'mud plug' trials cars.
So there is the Kincraft story. Keep an eye out for it in future historic events if the new owner can be persuaded to race it!

#9 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 16:58

I remember seeing it at Snetterton on the long circuit in the late sixties. I think Jim Moore had it then. It was quite a sight (and sound) thundering down the Norwich Straight, especially if you were in the little grandstand at the hairpin, wondering if it was going to slow down or just carry on to Attleborough...

Geoff

#10 richie

richie

• 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 21:53

:clap: Andrew K you're top of the class. Chapter and verse.

#11 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 16:11

Try Here

www.trainingscotland.i12.com/retro/5072/5072.htm

#12 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 18:08

From The Other Place:

http://www.ten-tenth...ead.php?t=32026