Collier Museum Tour

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:27

Confirmed date: Friday, March 18th 2005

Last year a thread was started by Dennis Hockenbury about the Collier Collection in Naples, Florida, and several folks expressed an interest in touring the facility. I’ve recently spoken with Scott George about a tour of the museum. However, before I begin let me say that Scott is very enthusiastic about our interest in a museum tour and in a recent e-mail to me wrote “We are pleased that this group (TNF) exists to help in the history of the sport…”
A summary of what we discussed follows:
1. The Collier Museum is a 85,000 sq. ft. facility and has 100 cars on display, approximately half coming from the late Briggs Cunningham collection.
2. We will also visit their restoration shop, library and archives.
3. We will be guided through the museum, either by Scott or one of the many volunteers who donate their time. They are referred to as “cam followers.”
4. Our group may range in size from 3 to 30. The thought of everyone agreeing on one date is clearly impractable, so other tours may be arranged, based of course on the museums’ schedule.
5. Weekdays only: the museum has many volunteers available during the week to assist with our tour, answer questions, and of course, open hoods.
6. No photos or videos are allowed. Cameras are not allowed in the building,
However, Scott did also write, “I can arrange to have a group photo taken of all of you with a car and possibly photos of individual favorites ? We can then email or send to the members.”
7. I invited Scott to be our guest at dinner after our tour and he accepted.
8. The date is Friday, March 18th 2005
The reasons:
- Sebring 12 Hours starts at 10:00 AM the following day (2 ½ hour drive.)
- Amelia Island Concours (5 ½ hour drive) is the previous weekend.
- The museum has no tours currently planned for this date.
---------------------------------------------
A March 18th date affords those traveling long distances the opportunity to attend other motorsports events. I also think it is important to take the tour before museum cars are shipped to other events around the world. As Doug Nye mentioned, the Sebring winning OSCA was in California last summer. A Cunningham was also on display at the IMRRC in Watkins Glen last year.
In fact, the Cunningham D-Type will will not be at the museum on March 18th, 2005.
It will be on display that week at Sebring for a Jaguar event.

So there it is.
We have to start somewhere and I hope I’ve assisted in some small way in getting this process started. I really don’t care when we go as long as the Ferrari 166 Spyder Corsa is there. I have no plans to attend Sebring , but wouldn’t it be neat to take that early morning drive south on Saturday morning?
Personally, it would be OK with me to scratch this one off my twelve year old “must do” list. I also wouldn’t mind visiting the museum before I receive my first Social Security check from Uncle Sam :lol:

Cheers, and let’s try and do this!
My thanks to Dennis for posting the Collier thread last year and to Doug Nye for putting me in touch with Scott. I’m sure there will be more questions, and I can be reached in a sleepy and snowy Chicago suburb at 847-255-7552.

P.S. Scott George gave me permission to post a photo of the museums’s 166SC on TNF along with this message. It is a from a post card I bought at Briggs’ museum in Costa Mesa many moons ago. However, I will not use Image Shack to do this. So, if someone would like to post it for me please send me your e-mail address. Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 16:36

Great work Paul :clap: I'm definitely interested in visiting the museum (work schedule permitting).
I think this would make an excellent birthday gift to myself as my birthday is a week later. Please keep us informed on the details.

#3 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 17:11

Yes, please.

¡ Ajúa !

#4 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 22:45

paul, sounds good

#5 ray b

ray b

• 2,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:45

:clap: count me in
if anyone needs a ride from the miami area e-mail me [aarmedbear@gmail.com]
if you can stand riding in a loud volvo wagon without A/C that is :rolleyes:

#6 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 14:16

Thanks to those who have responded and I am looking forward to getting together.
I will call Scott George at the Collier Museum on Friday and confirm the the 18th of March.

#7 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,467 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 14:37

Paul, I just saw this thread. Thanks for your efforts, and please include me if it isn't too late.

Thanks!
Jack

#8 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 14:59

Wow, I just saw this thread and am so very pleased that Paul has taken the initiative to arrange this visit to the Collier. I have wanted to see this collection for quite some time.

Imagine my dismay to learn that the visit is scheduled during my return from Bilbao, Spain making my attendance impossible. Oh well, I trust the group will have a great visit to the Collier.

My sincere thanks to Paul for seeing this through and making the arrangements.

#9 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 15:53

Jack, you are not late and welcome,

I am sorry I let this announcement slip to page 3.
Scott George has confirmed that he would like us to keep the size of a tour to 30, so there is plenty room for others to join us.

We now have 6 for March 18th, 2005, and I will confirm this date with Scott on Friday so we can begin making travel arrangements.

#10 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 16:29

Dennis,

Thank you for your kind words and for being the inspiration behind this adventure.
Scott George is prepared to welcome other tours of the Collier museum. Sorry you can't make the 18th of March date.

#11 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 21:15

If space is still available, count me in. Anyone coming from the Tampa area needing a ride, send me a pm.

#12 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 21:25

Hi,

We won't be able to come on the 18th as we are both working :(

Next time...?:)

Antoine

#13 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 17:38

Antoine,

Thank you for your response and it's too bad you can't join us on the 18th of March. Scott George has said that supporters of this forum may arrange other private visits to the Collier Museum.
I only wish it was next week and not two months from now! Cheers.

#14 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 17:44

I also won't be able to make a March date but remain very interested in, some day soon, seeing this collection. Paul - thanks for making the effort to put this together - I am sorry I cannot join you.

#15 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 18:22

Posted Image
with permission of the Collier Museum

You will be able to view this early Ferrari and other fine automobiles at the Collier Museum.

:cool:

#16 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 20:20

Richard,
Thank you for posting the photo of the Ferrari 166 Spyder Corsa.

I spoke with Scott George this morning and the 18th of March has been reserved for our visit. Scott would like to know the size of our group. Anyone who wishes to attend on the 18th of March is welcome. Just let me know. It will be a busy weekend in Naples, since the Sebring 12 Hours is only a few miles away.

For those who cannot make this date, Scott once again said that other tours of the Museum are welcome, later in the year.

Two months to go!

#17 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 21:11

Paul, it's a great thing that you're doing- count me in. It'll be nice to see you again and nice to see some of the cars I used to visit when I was a member at the Cunningham museum.
Anton

#18 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 21:00

Hello Anton, nice hearing from you and I am very happy you can make the tour.

Thought I would post this sketch of the 166SC (O16I) done by a friend several years ago. She had never done anything automotive before this and clearly had a difficult time with the tires, and George Rand for that matter. Her inspiration came from me :D and a photo on page 176 of "FERRARI, THE MAN, THE MACHINES" published by AQ in 1975.

Posted Image

#19 vintageautomobilia

vintageautomobilia

• 231 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 21:19

Anton,

I don't have your current email address. I found a note regarding the Abarth 207A grill that Wayne made for me. Please check your Atlas F1 email or email me at: vintageautomobilia@thegrid

Advertisement

#20 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 23:32

Hope this works because I have never tried to post a 'link' before.
If it does, hold onto your seats...........

http://www.goolsbee....04/collier.html

#21 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 19:09

Spoke with Scott George last week and I thought that beginning the tour after lunch would work best for those either flying into a regional airport or driving to Naples that morning. If this creates a problem for anyone please let me know. My e-mail address is tipo1565@comcast.net . Only 48 days and a wake-up!

#22 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,108 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 21:16

****. ****. ****.

You could not have picked a worse day in the year for me...

Right in the middle of a 3 week arbitration hearing - AND the weekend the Blues play the Villa...

Dang it.

#23 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 22:17

Something we learned from Simon Taylor's column in this month's MotorSport that the truly gigantic collection of books and magazines,( it filled a bread factory he bought as well as his large house in Kent ), - has recently, upon the death of true enthusiast collector Peter Richley been sold in one lot to the Collier Collection of America for a seven figure sterling sum.

#24 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 21:18

ensign14 - Hope you don't mind if I do not qoute your exact words, but I'm happy to hear you are not TOO upset about the date selected ;) As I have mentioned before in this thread, Scott George, the President and Curator of the Collier Museum has said that additional tours by AtlasF1 members are welcome in the future.

RTH - Thank you for the news about the Richley collection. I originally thought that a week would not be enough time to explore the Collier Museum properly. Now I'm thinking that one would need at least a month or more.

#25 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 20:04

The 'jam in me life' in her monoposto, attempting Farina's straight arm technique.
Unfortunately, the car will not be on display at the Collier Museum on March 18th. It will be in the shop having a Nardi steering wheel fitted.
However, I understand that there will be several cars there that may get your attention.
Made your travel plans yet?

Posted Image

#26 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:21

:clap: Yes Paul, I'm definately making plans, work permitting, I should know by 1st week of March. I'm already planning my driving route down from Canada. I'm thinking of making this trip the museum road trip 2005. I'm thinking of checking out some aviation museums and the Indy museum on my way back.

#27 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:42

Sorry to hear Peter Richley has passed, spent many pleasent evenings with him and his wife Joan. His home was packed to the rafters with wonderful things, my condolances to Joan and the rest of the family

#28 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:11

Made your travel plans yet?

With gusto.

Eckshly, with M$oft "Streets And Trips". Kind of an enjoyable activity in itself. I had been thinking 'rail', until the big crash near Los Angeles.

Cloud on the horizon: contractor's schedule for our little home project may conflict. The housing market hereabouts, nourished by relatively low interest rates means everyone is refinancing and renovating. All the useful companies are working early and late every day, and the actual workers are at it on weekends, freelancing for a friend-of-a-friend and the like. And no one wants to look in at a job worth less than 10 Gs. Good time to be swinging a hammer.

Priorities. Why, oh why?

--
Frank S

#29 harryglorydays

harryglorydays

• 81 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 22:02

Count me in! I will be driving down from Tampa with a Minivan, so if anyone needs a ride, email me at: harry@glorydaysofracing.com or call me at: 610-725-9600. Unfortunately, I will not be returning to Tampa - I will be heading to Sebring where I will be signing my book.

As soon as you get directions to the Collier, could you call or email me? I was there years ago, but can't remember how to get there.

#30 ray b

ray b

• 2,951 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:23

up dateing my ride offer to the Collier Museum from miami
I just got a 745turbo volvo, it is much quieter and the A/C works

here is a picture of it stuffed with north stars [caddy 4v dohc V8 for the euros]

http://img240.exs.cx.../fiero175bk.jpg

they for a hotrod fiero but thats a long project

#31 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 23:46

30 days to go!

I'll be flying into Fort Meyers on March 17th around noon and renting a car for the drive to Naples.
If anyone else is in town Thursday evening let me know. Maybe we can link up.
tipo1565@comcast.net, or 847-255-7552.

As we get closer to the 18th I'll ask Scott to recommend a place where we can dine, drink, and talk cars in a relaxed 'Seneca Lodge' style environment.

For those that are also flying in now is the time to begin making reservations; seats are becoming scarce and prices are rising.

#32 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:48

Paul, I'm afraid I'm going to have to cancel due to previously unknown family commitments. Unknown to me, that is.
Apologies,
Anton

#33 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 18:51

Note the Cunninghams in the back left corner. C5R, C6R, Le Monstre?

I hope you all have a great time. I wish I could go.

#34 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 21:19

Sorry for not keeping this notice closer to page one, but for those that are planning on making the tour, there are only 18 days to go.

Jennifer, who works for Scott at the museum, called me this morning to once again confirm the date and time (March 18th, 1 PM.) She has agreed to help find us a place to meet for lunch prior to the tour, and a spot we might get together at on the evening of the 17th. She will also provide directions to the museum.

Let me know, via e-mail tipo1565@comcast.net, telephone 847-255-7552, or TNF post, what your plans are. Don't know about you but I can't wait. Thanks.

#35 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 21:33

Paul, do you think there are still hotel rooms avaible for booking in the area as we are close to the Sebring race?
I'm going to ask my wife if she could take a day off from work as I'm between jobs and I would be free to travel down to Naples.
Thanks,
Toine

#36 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 21:58

Pils1089,

Yes, I just checked and there are still rooms available on the 17th at my hotel in Naples for about a C note. You can probably find others at a hotel website. Come on down!

#37 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 22:05

ok but what is a C note?
What could we do on the saturday overthere?

#38 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 22:19

Sorry Pils, that's $100.00 US.
Can't tell you much about what to do in Naples on Saturday. I know they also have a nice marina with plenty of sailboats.

#39 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:27

Alright, sent you an email 10 secs ago, Paul:)

Advertisement

#40 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:52

Gentlemen,

I can't go to this trip so if some of you could take some photos of the two PORSCHE 908

of the collection.

One 908/LH I think chassis 908/025 and the 908/03.

Some history about these cars will be fine .

thanks a lot .

#41 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:24

gerard,

I would love to take photos of just about every car in the collection but cameras are not permitted in the museum. However, I will find out what I can about the history of these 908s for you.

#42 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 18:36

Here is a map showing the location of the Collier Museum. Their address is 2500 South Horseshoe.
For those interested, Jennifer suggested an Italian resturant named Frescati's for an early lunch prior to the tour. It's a about a block from the museum.

http://img124.exs.cx...location2pw.png

#43 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,546 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 18:57

I would just like to recommend that every TNFer who could possibly make this trip does their darndest to do so. I have been privileged to work with the Collection for many years now, I promise nobody here could possibly be disappointed...and the Collection there is run by truly kindred spirits...

DCN

#44 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 19:09

Booked my hotel room and uploaded everything needed in my GPS, the italian restaurant coordinates as well. :clap:

#45 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 19:06

Well... I wish we could take the cars for a ride but I'm not going to be picky :D

#46 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 00:58

Ten days to go!

Another post card image I purchased at the Cunningham Museum back in the '70s.
It's now living in Naples Florida.

Posted Image

For those that I have not e-mailed or spoken to on the phone, please let me know if you would like to attend the tour. The museum would like a headcount so they can determine how many guides to have available.

Thanks.

#47 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:20

For those lucky enough to be going to the Collier museum - a request, please.

Can you obtain photographs of Miles Collier, brother of Sam, and see if you can find out if Miles visited Europe in 1952? This is better explained if you read the thread about Frank Dochnal!

I believe that Miles might have been the first driver on an American licence (Harry Schell used a French licence) to take part in a World Championship Grand Prix (Indianapolis being an annual "one-off" race to different regs.) rather than the mysterious O'Brien.

John Humphries

#48 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 00:09

Paul, I will be glad to join your group for the tour. Ill be Sarasota on the 16 for the "Madman Muntz" movie premier on the 17th. As a Muntz owner, it should be interesting. Then Ill drive down to Naples the following day and join the group there. Should be a great time, thanks for putting the tour together.

#49 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 20:51

Six days to go!

I've sent a group e-mail with directions to the Collier Museum and Frescati's resturant to those that have confirmed their participation.

There's still time, and our docent awaits.

#50 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:08

Envy you blokes going on this trip...........bring us back plenty of pictures and stories.