• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 19:38

Hello,

I have a question about the AAA National Championship 1926:

In a CART Media Guide it's stated that the 1926 National Championship had 26 races. In all the other sources that I could get (including the excelent Phil Harms reports) only 24 races are mentioned.
The ones that are missing in all those reports are the ones that took place at a board track in Fresno, October 2.

The races were won by Bennett Hill (25 Miles) and Frank Lockhart (50 Miles).

my question is, are those races part of the championship or not?
Does anybody have race reports or complete results from those races?

thanks

P.S. Yes, I know I've promissed never to ask "hard to find" questions again, but I could't resist.... :cool:

Advertisement

#2 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 21:14

I forgot to mention another Board Track race that year:

It took place on the Baltimore-Washington Speedway at Laurel, MD. on September 25.

In this case I don't even know who was the winner or the race distance.

any ideas??

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 22:38

According to Dick Wallen's book on the 1920s board tracks, the Fresno races were sprint car races and so were not AAA Championship races (and described as "inconsequential").

Looks as if the field was 4 strong - Hill and Lockhart on rear-drive Millers, Peter DePaolo (Duesenberg) and Dave Lewis (Miller front drive).

There were 2 25-lap sprints, won by DePaolo and Hill (latter at an average of 106.15mph), before a 30 lap main event, won by Lockhart in a tight finish from Hill, who stormed away at the start, lost nearly a lap repairing his goggles but still nearly won.

The Laurel race was non-championship - 2 heats of 25 miles, won by Miles Gray on a Green-Fronty and Jimmy Gleason on a Miller, and the 100 mile main event won by Gleason at 105.14mph. Fred Winnai was on pole in a Duesenberg at 135mph; Gleason and Russ Snowberger (both Millers) were 2nd and 3rd some 10mph back.

In the first heat Snowberger led from Gleason until a puncture, then Winnai took over but also blew a tyre, so Gleason won with Snowberger 2nd, a few lengths back.

The second heat was for amateurs and had a 4 car field - the tiny 6000 crowd apparently jeered as the winner averaged just over 100mph.

The final race matched the first heat, Snowberger leading from Gleason with Winnai pressing, then Winnai blew a wheel and had a biggish shunt, Snowberger's engine went off and Gleason won by 5 laps.

#4 billthekat

billthekat

• 337 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 23:57

The 1926 National Championship Trail

Below are the events listed by Phil Harms as the events on the 1926 National Championship Trail. They are also those listed in the AAA Contest Board Official Bulletins for 1926.

(1) 22 February / Carl G. Fisher Trophy, Fulford, 300 miles – Peter De Paolo, No. 1 Duesenberg Special Duesenberg

(2) 21 March / Culver City, 250 miles – Bennett Hill, No. 16 Miller Special Miller

(3) 1 May / Atlantic City (Hammonton), 300 miles – Harry Hartz, No. 3 Miller Special Miller

(4) 10 May / Charlotte (Pineville), 250 miles – Earl DeVore, No. 17 Nickel Plate Miller Special Miller

(5) 30 May / International Sweepstakes, Indianapolis, 500 miles – Frank Lockhart, Miller Special Miller
Points awarded on the basis of 400 miles, the distance at which the race was called.

(6) 12 June / Altoona, 250 miles – Dave Lewis, No. 7 Miller Front Drive Special Miller Front Drive

(7) 5 July / Independence Day Classic, Salem-Rockingham, 50 miles – Peter De Paolo, No. 1 Duesenberg Special Duesenberg

(8) 5 July / Salem-Rockingham, 200 miles – Earl Cooper, No. 5 Miller Special Miller Front Drive
The Official Bulletin lists the qualifying times for the drivers, an unusual item for inclusion in the race notes at the time.

(9) 17 July / Atlantic City (Hammonton), 60 miles – Norman Batten, No. 14 Miller Special Miller

(10) 17 July / Atlantic City (Hammonton), 60 miles – Fred Comer, No. 8 Miller Special Miller

(11) 17 July / Atlantic City (Hammonton), 60 miles – Harry Hartz, No. 3 Miller Special Miller

(12) 17 July / Atlantic City (Hammonton), 120 miles – Harry Hartz, No. 3 Miller Special Miller

(13) 23 August / Charlotte (Pineville), 25 miles – Earl Cooper, No. 5 Miller Special Miller Front Drive
The two 25-milers and the 50-miler are called “Sprints” in the race notes in the Official Bulletin.

(14) 23 August / Charlotte (Pineville), 25 miles – Dave Lewis, No. 7 Miller Front Drive Special Miller Front Drive

(15) 23 August / Charlotte (Pineville), 50 miles – Frank Lockhart, No. 27 Miller Special Miller

(16) 23 August / Charlotte (Pineville), 150 miles – Frank Lockhart, No. 27 Miller Special Miller

(17) 18 September / Altoona, 250 miles – Frank Lockhart, No. 27 Miller Special Miller

(18) 12 October / Salem-Rockingham, 25 miles – Bennett Hill, No. 16 Miller Special Miller
As was the case at Pineville, the 25-milers are called “Sprints” in Official Bulletin race notes.

(19) 12 October / Salem-Rockingham, 25 miles – Leon Duray, No. 12 Miller Front Drive Special Miller Front Drive

(20) 12 October / Salem-Rockingham, 200 miles – Harry Hartz, No. 3 Miller Special Miller

(21) 11 November / Charlotte (Pineville), 25 miles – Frank Lockhart, No. 27 Miller Special Miller
As before, three “Sprints” and a final.

(22) 11 November / Charlotte (Pineville), 25 miles – Dave Lewis, No. 7 Miller Front Drive Special Miller Front Drive

(23) 11 November / Charlotte (Pineville), 50 miles – Harry Hartz, No. 3 Miller Special Miller

(24) 11 November / Charlotte (Pineville), 100 miles – Leon Duray, No. 12 Miller Front Drive Special Miller Front Drive

The AAA Contest Board records it as both “De Paolo” and “DePaolo” in the Official Bulletins, so take your choice. Incidentally, Tom Mix is listed as being a Registered Driver holding license no. 93.

The 2 November 1926 issue of the Official Bulletin contained an item entitled, "Settlement of the International Racing Controversy" -- the agreement between the AAA Contest Board and the A.C.A. as to whom would represent the USA on the CSI of the AIACR. I can scan it and send to the one of two souls who might be interested.

#5 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 07:40

Originally posted by billthekat
...The 2 November 1926 issue of the Official Bulletin contained an item entitled, "Settlement of the International Racing Controversy" -- the agreement between the AAA Contest Board and the A.C.A. as to whom would represent the USA on the CSI of the AIACR. I can scan it and send to the one of two souls who might be interested.

Don, I am one of the two souls. ;) Please!

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 09:01

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
Don, I am one of the two souls. ;) Please!

Ditto...

#7 billthekat

billthekat

• 337 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 14:56

Can do on the pages from the Offical Bulletin. Probably in the next day or so.

#8 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 16:31

Don, thank you very much. :D

#9 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 17:44

Thank you to all that answered my question.

I've been ill, and only today I was able to put a reply here.

Regards :)

#10 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 18:18

A seldom discussed feature of the 1926 AAA Championship season is the woes of the defending Champion Peter DePaolo in finding a competitive car. After having started the year in splendid fashion on his old 2000cc Duesenberg, he was shocked to find the car completely uncompetitive with the new 1500cc engine (though he finished 5th at Indy, he was no less than seven laps down at the end!).

Most (hi)stories of 1926 have him struggle with the Duesenberg all year, ignoring that at least once he tried a rear-drive Miller in a race (Altoona, June 12) - luckily, there's a photograph which clearly shows him with the car (in the Wallen book "Guts, Gold & Glory", p280), and I am about 90% certain of the identity of the chassis (very probably the 1928 Indy winner with Meyer), but of course I could do with more pictures to make that 100%. Also, I would love to know if he ran this car (or another Miller) more than only this once in 1926, so anyone with pictures, please post!

There is another picture in the Wallen book (p282), but I suspect that's also from Altoona - can anyone confirm? Note that that photograph is a mirror image, i.e. the buildings in the background should be on the right side!

Another footnote is that DePaolo drove that sameself car (if indeed it was the 1928 winner!) in the 1927 season opener at Culver City; by then it was (reportedly) dark blue. At Altoona it must have been yellow, like Pete's Duesenberg.

Anyone have the "Wall Smacker" book? What did Pete himself say about the year?

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 20:35

Pete on the 1926 season:

-didn't take him long to realize that other cars were faster than his Duesy - approximately the first session at Fulford, but a replaced ball bearing on the pinion shaft of the supercharger was shot, so replacing it and taking a conservative route to victory;

-nothing much to say about Culver City, other than Benny Hill won;

-loss of top gear at Atlantic City cost him the win;

-he missed Charlotte to prepare his new smaller engine for Indy;

-the engine was not properly run in for Indy, obliging him to calm things, and the race was stopped with a fifth to go when he could have moved up;

-Altoona was more or less overlooked - maybe Pete forgot?;

-he had supercharger troubles at Atlantic City;

-cylinder blew at Charlotte 2 just before the start;

-Altoona 2 was another DNS because of a lack of supercharger parts;

-the car was not right for Fresno and failed;

-engine trouble screwed him again at Salem;

-engine trouble again at Charlotte 3.

So mainly unspecified engine problems...

#12 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 15:48

Hmm, not much at all in fact, but thanks anyway...

#13 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 17:54

Rob, another 'Wall Smacker' question: when did Pete drive a supercharged Duesy for the first time? Phil Harms doesn't have him in one until December 1924, which seems a bit odd seeing the success the car had.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 19:04

Looking through it...

He says that for Indy that year there was not enough time to build a spercharger for his entry. His was the only one without.

Of his entry he says:

"My consistent speed under this handicap made a great hit with [Fred] Duesenberg and I took advantage of his approval to ask him for a supercharger for the next race. He then promised that I could have just about any damn thing from the Duesenberg factory!"

He does not however say when that supercharger was fitted...

It's glancing through that book that you get a bit of the personalities of the likes of Thane Houser and the speed of guys like Benny Hill (not that one) and even Harlan Fengler as a hotshoe rather than steward. Great stuff. No idea how accurate it is...

#15 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 20:18

Ta.

About Hill & Fengler, they were certainly drivers of the highest order. About Houser I'd like to learn more... e.g. how did he come to be disfigured? An accident?

#16 john glenn printz

john glenn printz

• 661 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 15:38

With regard to "Brickyard" 's original and initial posting of January 24, 2005, I believe I can shed some further light on the question. The two contests listed for Fresno on October 2, 1926 were not AAA Championship events.

Mr. McMaken and myself listed the genuine 24 AAA races for 1926, that counted for the driving Championship that year, in our complete survey of all Championship level events staged by the AAA, USAC, and CART, from 1916 to 1984, as printed and published in the 1985 NEWS MEDIA GUIDE on pages 265-292. Our listing of the 24 genuine AAA Championship contests is printed on page 276. The incorrect listing of 26 Championship races for 1926 was made by Bob Russo in late 1985 or early 1986 when he altered the McMaken/Printz data contained in the 1985 CART MEDIA GUIDE for the 1986 CART MEDIA GUIDE. Russo obtained this bogus information here from the "foul" papers he had obtained after Russ Catlin's death in late 1983, from Catlin's estate. The incorrect 26 race listing for 1926 was originally put together either by Arthur Means or Russ Catlin.

The October 2 1926, Fresno races had always been a question mark of sorts anyway. The problem was that all the surviving box scores only listed the top four finishers. In an attempt to fill out our data, I obtained local Frenso newspapers for October 1926 on microfilm reels in the late 1970s. Lo and behold, everything was quickly cleared up! As it turned out, the old Fresno track was in such a poor state of decay in late 1926, that the AAA would allow no more than four cars on the speedway at the same time. So all the October 2, 1926 events had only four starters total. Somewhat later AAA box scores for these October 2, 1926 Fresno races circulated which filled out the field to the top ten finishers. Here again the contemporary 1926 Fresno papers showed that such box scores were bogus and why all the other listings had no more than four cars in the results.

Russo also altered the date of the 1920 Beverly Hills sprints from our correct date of March 28, 1920 to an incorrect date of February 28, 1920. Here Russo again was using the "foul" papers of Means and Catlin. Here the correct 1921 date (i.e. February 28, 1921) for the 1921 Beverly Hills sprints got mixed up with those of 1920. The only other changes that Russo made to our statistical data printed in the 1985 CART MEDIA GUIDE was to totally eliminate the correct 1920 Championship race list, the correct 1920 point totals, and affirm that Tommy Milton was the 1920 AAA National Champion. This false information about 1920, Bob got directly from Russ Catlin, both in personal conversation and in supportive paperwork, put together originally by Arthur Means on November 26, 1926.

As far as I can tell these are the ONLY changes Bob made to the McMaken/Printz statistical data as printed in the 1985 CART MEDIA GUIDE. For which services Russo and his sugar daddy, among others, were given equal credit by CART as contributors to the historical section. At the same exact time CART tossed us out completely, on the complaint of Bob Russo and his influential sugar daddy, that much our data was made up, was false, and was totally incorrect!

Sincerely, J. G. Printz

Edited by john glenn printz, 15 October 2010 - 14:57.

#17 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,013 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:05

As DSJ put it, pity the poor historian...

#18 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,203 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:09

Thanks, John, for another interesting post. I have only very skimpy information about this Fresno event, mainly because my main newspaper source ("The Fresno Bee") suddenly and quite unexpectedly disappeared from the roster of available papers at newspaperarchive.com (I wonder why?). Were there only the four cars and drivers (Hill, Lockhart, Lewis and de Paolo) mentioned in an earlier post present?

And to brickyard's other question about the September 25 race at Laurel, that was not a AAA event at all, it was sanctioned by the National Motor Racing Association, a Philadelphia-based club that was going very strong in this area in 1926. They usually only sanctioned dirt track races, most notably at the Pottstown and Langhorne 1-mile tracks in Pennsylvania, and thus their car roster was the usual hotch-potch of homebuilt specials, but by 1926 a few high-class racing cars had infiltrated this homely club, and with the expensive Laurel track failing to get AAA approval after a promotional disaster in 1925, two dates for the NMRA were announced in 1926, to keep the track afloat. However, the dirt track club and the board track speedway were definitely not a match made in heaven...

The best cars running in NMRA that year were the 2-litre, supercharged Miller (formerly owned by Ira Vail) of Ed Yagle and driven by Ray Keech; the 2-litre, supercharged Duesenberg (Pete de Paolo's 1925 Indy 500 winner) of Fred Smith, driven by Freddie Winnai; the 3-litre, unsupercharged Miller (Tommy Milton's 1924 LSR car) of Fisher & Jacobs, driven by Jimmy Gleason; and the special 3.9-liter, unsupercharged Miller that was built for Leon Duray and Ascot Speedway in 1924, now driven by Russ Snowberger. This latter car had been used by Zeke Meyer to win the NMRA title in 1925, after which the driver had joined the AAA, soon to be followed by Keech, Winnai, Gleason, Snowberger and a number of other NMRA drivers, draining this organisation of its blood and finally consigning it to history a couple of years later.

The only possible competition to this fine quartet of cars came from Bill Strickler's Peugeot of uncertain pedigree, Armond Pugh's Bugatti (apparently, a 2.3-litre supercharged type 35B) and Ed Yagle's second entry, a 1.5-litre supercharged Mercedes of even more puzzling origins, added to which there were a couple more Mercedes cars, an old Duesenberg, a couple of Marmons, a few Hispano-Suiza specials and the usual array of Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet specials, most of the latter running as "Class B" entries. As it was, the five 8-cylinder cars easily outpaced the field (with the Bug trailing the US cars), and most of the cars ran themselves to pieces trying to operate at maximum speed for up to an hour, and the races were a financial AND artistic failure, shutting down the track for good. Gleason won three races in June (a 10-mile "dash", the 50-mile "Class A" heat and the 100-mile feature) and two in September (the 25-mile heat and 100-mile main event), with the 25-mile "Class B" heats going to Ford specials driven by Tommy Reed (June) and Niles Gary (September) - none of which pleased the poor "crowds": a disappointing 25,000 for the summer event, followed by a desastrous 6,000 in the fall! No purse details are available at this time, but it was certainly far short of the $25,000 posted for each of the two AAA events in 1925.