Photo

Fisichella will win the WDC

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 steel2005

steel2005

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:45

Fisichella will win the title. He started on pole and won the first race of the season. In the past 55 years only 3 times the driver that started on pole and won the first race of the season didn't win the title. Also everytime a driver started on pole and won at Melbourne he won the title that year. The last time an Italian won the title, there was an all Italian front row starting at the first race of the season like this year.

Advertisement

#2 B.A.R_Boy

B.A.R_Boy

• 191 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:49

Nope...Flavio will sack him in the favor of Alonso

#3 steel2005

steel2005

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:55

I don't think so. Fisico is sooooo much better than Trulli....

#4 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:56

Heh those funny F1 statistics.

I would wait until mid season before any champion declaration.

#5 Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit

• 1,091 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 22:59

There already is a Fisi 2005 WDC thread....

#6 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke

• 880 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:00

Originally posted by steel2005
Fisichella will win the title. He started on pole and won the first race of the season. In the past 55 years only 3 times the driver that started on pole and won the first race of the season didn't win the title. Also everytime a driver started on pole and won at Melbourne he won the title that year. The last time an Italian won the title, there was an all Italian front row starting at the first race of the season like this year.

I didn't know that. But this year will add Fisichella's name to the 3 who didn't win. Sorry, but Fisi better rack up some more wins soon in the twisty circuits to have a shot before the circus moves to the power circuits. He MUST win Sepang and Monaco IMO. And only if he has a shot at the WDC by Suzuka, then I will pick him to win it.

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:02

Also everytime a driver started on pole and won at Melbourne he won the title that year.

Yeah, DC should have thought about that in 1998  ;)

The last time an Italian won the title, there was an all Italian front row starting at the first race of the season like this year.

Hey, I never knew Fangio was an Italian....

#8 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:03

Posted Image alert!

#9 steel2005

steel2005

• 145 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:18

Originally posted by scheivlak
Yeah, DC should have thought about that in 1998  ;)

In 1998 MH started on pole and won at Melbourne...

http://www.formula1....x/1952/608.html

2 Italians started in the front row in 1952 and Ascari won the WDC that year.

#10 wagner

wagner

• 780 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:25

Also everytime a driver started on pole and won at Melbourne he won the title that year. The last time an Italian won the title, there was an all Italian front row starting at the first race of the season like this year.

This years qualifying was worthless!! Did I just call it qualifying? It wasn't!!

#11 Cotchin

Cotchin

• 70 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:26

Steel2005

I think what scheivlak was getting at is that maybe DC shouldnt have let Mike through to win in 98 ;)

Mike

#12 coyoteBR

coyoteBR

• 4,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:32

The authorship of the following philosoohy is on dispute; some credit it to brazilian writer Stanislaw Ponte Preta. Anyway: "Statistics are like bikinis; they show everything but what really matters."

#13 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:33

In 1998 MH started on pole and won at Melbourne...

http://www.formula1....x/1952/608.html

What I meant was that DC could end that coincidence already in 1998 once and for all, by not letting MH by voluntarily ;)

2 Italians started in the front row in 1952 and Ascari won the WDC that year.

But the last time an Italian won the WDC was 1953! OK, there were even 3 (!) Italians on the front row of the Argentinian GP that year :D but between them on the 2nd spot was JM Fangio's Maserati.
And BTW: the first GP of 1952 didn't have an all Italian front row either: it consisted of two Italians and a Frenchman. :cool:

#14 TuryAguero

TuryAguero

• 107 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:31

I like Fisi and Renault but I think we have to wait for the McLaren boys also
the new Red Car.

#15 HBoss

HBoss

• 4,220 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:37

He'll be champion if he's pole at Barcelona. That only failed once.

#16 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:41

Way to early to say... statistics mean very little in my opinion.
Not that I would ever begrudge Fisico the title though!!!!

McMerc will prove to be strong opposition, Ferrari are close to removing the shrinkwrap from their 2005 car and Alonso should be snapping at his heels all season....
Come to think of it, Williams can not be written off for at least another three or four races either.

#17 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:55

Whatever.

#18 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 61,032 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:07

Out of curiousity how many times HAS someone started on pole and won?

#19 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:06

Originally posted by dgsg
Posted Image alert!

But I didn't even post yet!

Advertisement

#20 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:08

Originally posted by wagner

This years qualifying was worthless!! Did I just call it qualifying? It wasn't!!

Yes. Had GF gotten pole on true merit and then won commandingly, that would make a real case for him to win the WDC as well, because that would indicate superiority of the package (car+driver). But not in this case.

#21 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:36

I guess Sepang will clear some things up. :smoking:

#22 logic

logic

• 3,636 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:41

If fisi winns the wdc it is totally ok with me.
If he doesn't the someone else wins and it is very ok too.
We just have to wait and enjoy races and see what happens.
We'll know it by the end of the season, not earlier and not later :wave:

#23 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:48

Originally posted by HSJ
Yes. Had GF gotten pole on true merit and then won commandingly, that would make a real case for him to win the WDC as well, because that would indicate superiority of the package (car+driver). But not in this case.

:up: I don't think much can be judged from Australia.

#24 djellison

djellison

• 1,726 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:52

Ah yes - but in recent years - the winner of the first grand prix of the season has only gone on to win the world championship if I sat on the big sofa to watch it with my legs up. When I sat on the little sofa with my legs down - they dont win it - and given that I was on the little sofa this year I can state as absolute fact that there's no way Fisi will win the championships. Afterall, statistics of coincidence can never lie.

Doug

#25 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:38

Originally posted by logic
If fisi winns the wdc it is totally ok with me.
If he doesn't the someone else wins and it is very ok too.
We just have to wait and enjoy races and see what happens.
We'll know it by the end of the season, not earlier and not later :wave:

a logic post. :up:

#26 w00t

w00t

• 354 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:08

Originally posted by djellison

Ah yes - but in recent years - the winner of the first grand prix of the season has only gone on to win the world championship if I sat on the big sofa to watch it with my legs up. When I sat on the little sofa with my legs down - they dont win it - and given that I was on the little sofa this year I can state as absolute fact that there's no way Fisi will win the championships. Afterall, statistics of coincidence can never lie.

Doug

No you are wrong, you cant write this off as a coincidence. The reason drivers who gets pole and wins at Melbourne proceeds to win the championship is because winning at Melbourne means you have a good car hence you win the championship. The problem for Fisi is that he won because of **** qual and not because his car is so great even though his car very well might be great and he proceeds to win the championship.

#27 pusko

pusko

• 990 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:58

If Fisi wins in Sepang, this thread would get more credibility.

#28 Pep

Pep

• 1,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:24

Fisi perhaps could win the WDC if he had another teammate at Renault. Having Alonso alongside, he has very little chances.

#29 magicalonso

magicalonso

• 1,253 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:52

Originally posted by Pep
Fisi perhaps could win the WDC if he had another teammate at Renault. Having Alonso alongside, he has very little chances.

:up: This pretty much sums up my feelings.

#30 Gabbiano

Gabbiano

• 645 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 13:37

Originally posted by pusko
If Fisi wins in Sepang, this thread would get more credibility.

Actually this thread is the kiss of death...

:lol:

#31 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 17:33

Originally posted by Jack Rabbit
There already is a Fisi 2005 WDC thread....

:lol:

I don't know why JV fans and Jos fans are branded for their extra enthusiasm, I think Fisi fans are not far behind, infact all fans. I can't believe that with just one win, people are already shouting "fisi WILL win WDC".

Q to Fisi-WDC fans : Do you wish to discuss it or is it your wish (with a public display of your emotion) ?

#32 steel2005

steel2005

• 145 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:00

We'll see who will have the last laugh... Fisi has more chances of winning the WDC in 2005 than your beloved Ferrari drivers, Vivian.... :rotfl:

#33 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:46

We'll see who will have the last laugh... Fisi has more chances of winning the WDC in 2005 than your beloved Ferrari drivers, Vivian.... :rotfl:

You have got to be kidding. And no, I am not a member of the Schumacher Is God club. I am just a realist.

If we look at this logically (which I know is optional), in terms of recent history/results, I would think the chances of who is going to win the WDC look something like this:

1. M. Schumacher
2. Pretty even among Raikkonen/Montoya/Alonso
3. Another tie between Fisichella/Barrichello (based upon biases within their teams, extensively discussed elsewhere on this board)

Please remember that Ferrari aren't racing their new car yet.

One swallow makes not a summer. Likewise, one Schumacher DNF makes not Fisichella a WDC.

#34 Corners

Corners

• 1,454 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:48

Originally posted by Pep

They can both drive that car pretty much to the maximum there's not much to discuss there, but I do think Fisi is more of a solid reliable predictable driver you can guarantee pretty much that he can extract the full performance out of most GP weekends as a whole, I expect Alonso to be like that also before long but not just yet.
Fisi is more the Prost and Alonso more the Mansell like at Ferrari in 1990, you couldn't really say Mansell was slower but he was more erratic and prone to car failures, its that kind of situation for me, my money's on a Renault and of the 2 I'd definitely say Fisi over the full season. Expect some sparkling races from Alonso though of course.

#35 Cosmograph

Cosmograph

• 1,082 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 18:50

I'd like to see a straight fight between Alonso and Fisi. Oz was a quali lottery. I'm not convinced that Fisi can hold Alonso off or fight from midfield as well. I like them both!

Hopefully, we'll have three really strong teams and a tight fight to the finish :up:

#36 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:04

F2005 is coming, don't forget that. We'll see how anyone's chances for WDC are when that thing races.

#37 Tom_kkfis

Tom_kkfis

• 75 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:28

I've been a fan of Fisichella for some years and I do believe that he CAN win the championship. I even placed a bet on that, before the championship started.Come October 16, I hope to be 400 euro richer. :clap:
However, my belief in Giancarlo has absolutely nothing to do with his performance in Australia. He did a great job in Melbourne, no doubt about it: he kept clear of the 2nd driver while at the same time preserving his tyres and engine. :up:
However, he has yet to face REAL opposition and, most importantly, we don't know how good the Ferrari 2005 car will be. Even when he keeps on doing a fantastic job in Sepang etc, I will not feel truly comfortable until I see what the ferrari 2005 can do.
But, I believe, one thing is for sure. At the end of this season, Fisichella will finally have the respect that he deserves, even if ( :( ) he doesn't win the championship.

#38 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:30

Originally posted by Pep

Well, I would say that the competition from Mclaren and Ferrari are going to make life tougher for Fisi then Alonso ever will.

There are some fanboys on this BB who like to portray Alonso something of a miracle man, and clearly above the rest. :) Well, unfortunately most outside the realm of Spain dont think he is clearly above any of the current top crop ie. MS, Kimi, JPM.

Time will tell, but if the early races are an indication of what to come, I would certainly put my money on Fisi before Alonso.

#39 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:30

Originally posted by Corners
They can both drive that car pretty much to the maximum there's not much to discuss there, but I do think Fisi is more of a solid reliable predictable driver you can guarantee pretty much that he can extract the full performance out of most GP weekends as a whole, I expect Alonso to be like that also before long but not just yet.
Fisi is more the Prost and Alonso more the Mansell like at Ferrari in 1990, you couldn't really say Mansell was slower but he was more erratic and prone to car failures, its that kind of situation for me, my money's on a Renault and of the 2 I'd definitely say Fisi over the full season. Expect some sparkling races from Alonso though of course.

Well put. For once I agree 100% with Corners. ;)

Advertisement

#40 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 19:31

Originally posted by beanoid

You have got to be kidding. And no, I am not a member of the Schumacher Is God club. I am just a realist.

If we look at this logically (which I know is optional), in terms of recent history/results, I would think the chances of who is going to win the WDC look something like this:

1. M. Schumacher
2. Pretty even among Raikkonen/Montoya/Alonso
3. Another tie between Fisichella/Barrichello (based upon biases within their teams, extensively discussed elsewhere on this board)

Please remember that Ferrari aren't racing their new car yet.

One swallow makes not a summer. Likewise, one Schumacher DNF makes not Fisichella a WDC.

Word beanoid! :up: :up: :up:

#41 Slow

Slow

• 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 20:25

Originally posted by Pep

Alonso will help him take points away from others. If he can comfortably stay ahead of Alonso, then a strong Alonso can only help Fisi.

#42 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 21:21

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......Oops, sorry, did I miss anything? Nope. steel2005, do you read all the numbers on your lottery ticket or do you consider yourself a millionaire if you've matched the first number?

#43 PhilKerr

PhilKerr

• 1,572 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 21:54

Stupid thread, had the rain come 5 mins earlier Fisi would have been 19th in the grid

#44 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 22:21

Long season, given the chances Fisi had, gotta give it to him, he made the best of it, it will happen to other drivers at time, it's terrible if it he didn't win, but he did win, and he's in a nice little position at a early stage, there's alot of good drivers and teams who wanna win also, so it's a long road, but fisi is a good driver, we've had David Couthard trying to make title attempts, 2001 last time, and I rate Fisi higher then DC, so good driver, good car, anything is possible, but alot of competition, also ALonso his teamate, won't wanna see Fisi win too much, we maybe in for a great season of battles, good thing it's 19 races, which this much competition.

:up:

#45 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 00:11

Fisi will have to battle:
1. MS
2. KR
3. JPM
4. FA
5. RB

Now that should give some food for thought. If Renault is the class of the field. If Fisi just blows away FA. If you just ignore drivers 1-5 !!! :lol: ... maybe Fisi has already won the WDC.

#46 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke

• 880 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 00:14

What I hope to see is that several drivers win and the championship is close. Last season was just plain boring - all the excitment coming at Spa and Brazil.

#47 maeq

maeq

• 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:31

from my point of view, i would be happy if any of renault drivers wins the wdc..

but we will have to wait at least until july to predict what happens, you can't tell anything after the first race which even didn't have proper qualifying...

#48 manodemono

manodemono

• 195 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:26

When Fernando Alonso drove for Minardi he would always say, " that he wasn't overtaken by better drivers only better cars ".

Yesterday's race was a pretty much that. For some reason, GF's car wasn't up to par & Webber, Heidfield & Ralf were gaining time on hiim.

Just how difficult it was to drive GF's car we won't know but I would have hoped he had let the others through & salvaged whatever points that were available for GF to take.

My guess is that Fernando's drive wasn't a stroll in the park, either, nonetheless he made good use of it.

#49 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:38

Alonso is a better bet for the title than Fisi IMO, he would've one Melbourne if it wasn't for his qualifying problems. He has more support in the team and IMO is the better driver as well.

#50 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 13:06

I reckon Verstappen will get called up to BAR to replace Button and win every race and the WDC.

nah, probably not.