Photo

Lion F1 Car - 12 wheels?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,797 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:56

Anyone heard of this? Apparently this project precipitated the ban on all f1 cars not having 4 wheels. It was supposed to have 12 driven wheels that all steered???

Advertisement

#2 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,903 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:36

Sounds like a heavy, unreliable sumbitch.

#3 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:57

Originally posted by fer312t
Anyone heard of this? Apparently this project precipitated the ban on all f1 cars not having 4 wheels. It was supposed to have 12 driven wheels that all steered???

Hmmm I thought the four wheel restriction was mainly precipitated by the reports of blistering lap time times that either Keke Rosberg or Derek Daley (can't recall which) set in the 6 wheel Williams FW8 prototype at Donnington Park in early testing during the summer of 1982. Patrick Head had worked out a rear suspension package for the four wheel drive layout that got the rear wishbones out of the way and allowed much improved ground effect tunnel shape and better centre of aerodynamic pressure, which had been the main problem with the already impressive FW7 six wheel mule that Alan Jones, Rosberg and Jonathan Palmer had all tested at the end of 1981.

#4 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:13

Having watched the Tyrrell P34 running at Silverstone on Saturday, I was searching TNF yesterday to remind myself about the other 6 wheeled F1 cars that were built and came across references to a proposed Lion 12 wheeled car...

http://forums.atlasf...ion AND turbine and http://forums.atlasf...ix wheeler lion

#5 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:49

If I recall, this project was backed by the mysterious American captialist Jeff Tracy along with Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward, shown here...

Posted Image

#6 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,801 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 13:38

I just come back from the pool, it was full of beautiful looking girls and you know, its a nice fresh feeling and now I looked at this ugly (*$(#$&#& It wont be able to steer through curva grande at Monza w/ using rear gear!

#7 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 18:49

Posted Image
Posted Image

Credit goes to Truls1 on tbk.fameflame forums.