Photo

Ban Tyre/Tire warmers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 18:14

Do it...full stop. Make a drivers outlap a true test, how quickly can he go on cold tires. Think of when Rubens came out just ahead of Ralf on the first stop, if Rubens dint have tire warmers he'd have struggled slightly and MAYBE Ralf with his warmer rubber could have pressured Rubens into making a mistake, and losing the position.

Possibly allow them for qualifying though.

Ross Stonefeld
Aztec Group Motorsport

Advertisement

#2 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 18:22

But Ross there's some bloke who started a little company from his back room designing those things who would lose out here. There's a great little article about him in F1 Racing this past month, British innovation at its best!!

#3 arcwulf7

arcwulf7

• 2,580 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 18:26

That would certainly add a new glitch to pit stop strategy, instead of losing 25 seconds before you're back on track and up to speed, everyone will be a floating backmarker (make that a slippery floating backmarker), fighting for position. for a lap after stopping. Yup could make things real interesting, certainly might be an answer to the lack of close in racing and passing in f1 today. :)

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 18:41

Please sign my petition to become the new FIA president ;)

Ricardo there's a way to get around a ban on tire warmers, but I wont tell you what it is because Im saving it for when I negotiate my Mclaren contract.

Ross Stonefeld
Aztec Group Motorsport

#5 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,797 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 19:03

You'll get my vote Ross if you protect the little people.

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2000 - 19:29

I race to win, and for the fans. Championships are parting gifts.

The fans attract the sponsors, the sponsors fund the teams, the teams have nifty little race cars that I sometimes get to drive.

Im as hungry as every other competitor, but I dont bite the hand that feeds me :)

Ross Stonefeld
Aztec Group Motorsport

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 11:36

I think it would be great to get rid of them, but it wont happen because Cart already ban them and F1 wont introduce anything if cart has done it first. :)

#8 Stilgar

Stilgar

• 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 12:06

I may be wrong, but didn't CART have the wheel tethers a year or two before F!?

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,760 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 12:43

Maybe, but thats a rule that does not affect the performance of the cars in any way.

Banning tyre warmers would.

#10 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,107 posts

Posted 16 August 2000 - 21:14

Yeah smart, so this way A. drivers will spin off, or B. hold up traffic so they can drive at a safe enough speed until they hit optimal temps.

BRAVO!

Hey with your idea's, Im sure Max and Bernie would love you.

#11 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 10:33

Ban tyre warmers and they will just go back to using chemicals to soften the compounds....

#12 samase

samase

• 99 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 10:50

I vote against banning because it would just lead to uncontrolled situation. It would be impossible to control that tires hasn't been heated. And what would be the temp limit? and so on and so on...

#13 PAD

PAD

• 259 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 11:22

The BTCC this year has banned tyre warmers on the grounds of cost. Several drivers spoke out against it.

In the very first (pit stop) race, James Thompson trashed is Honda Accord big time at Dingle Dell (Brands Hatch) when on his out lap, he claimed that this was because of the cold tyres.

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 August 2000 - 16:52

Well duh James, you cant go 11/10ths on cold tires.

Ross Stonefeld
Aztec Group Motorsport