New York; Cisitalia; Marion Wrottesley Obit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 16:53

In the recent Ted Walker thread about New York the following was mentioned ;

"The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) may still have on permanent display a restored 1947 Cisitalia coupe as an example of post WWII isdustrial design."

The step mother of the late Hon. Richard Wrottesley, of, inter alia, Lister Jag and Cresta Run fame, has recently died. In the colourful obituary of her equally colourful life in yesterday's Daily Telegraph it is noted that,

"She lived in Spain and London with the writer Alec Waugh, who gave her a Cisitalia sports car, now in the Metropolitan Museum in New York, etc etc etc."

It further notes that it was a Cisitalia 202 sports car, which she claimed would only run on aeroplane fuel.

The whole obit. is worth reading just as a report of her life, lurid and colouful being words that might spring to mind. Find it on www.telegraph.co.uk, (always a good point of access to news/articles , [I await contrary views from Grauniad readers,] ) or google Daily Telegraph, when it comes up as electronic telegraph, and on the home page there is a search pad. If you enter Marion Wrottesley, or just the surname, her full obit comes up when you click on her name. Fascinating reading; some lifestyle.

It is also a superb example of the obit writer's art, methinks, style relating so tellingly to subject and content.

Was it in his Bentley or the flatiron Lister in which "Wrotters" came down the bobsleigh run? I have heard tell of both

Roger Lund.

Advertisement

#2 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 18:00

Marvelous glimpses.

Why did I laugh out loud at the description of an associate "... who always carried on her person two kippers and a bottle of gin"?