Photo

Bulletin Board tech problems

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Don Speekingleesh

Don Speekingleesh

• 1,048 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:38

I think you need to be able to accept autosport.com cookies now.

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:00

That's not it - I was accepting autosport.com cookies before they merged with AtlasF1,

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:22

Did anyone solve the logging-in problem? Like Darren, I thought it was just me (or my new machine and op system) - I have to log-in with user name and password everytime I post. (At least I've memorized my pass code by now!)

#4 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 16:09

Originally posted by Ray Bell
It's only started with me in the last week...

Very annoying. If you walk away for five minutes you need to log in again!

It started happening to me only recently... I've tried asking in AtlasF1 forum but I got zero replies, and stubled in here by pure chance. Has anyone found solution?

#5 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 16:24

It seemed to fix itself when they switched the main URL from atlasf1.com to autosport.com, at least it did for me.

#6 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 22:44

Originally posted by m.tanney
.... I sign myself back in - next thing I know, Atlas has signed me out again. Damned annoying. I've always had my computer set to accept cookies from atlasf1.com. That used to be enough, now it isn't. Has Atlas changed its cookies? Would that explain why TNF isn't recognizing my computer anymore.

I've set my computer to accept cookies from atlasf1.com, autosport and haynet.com, but I'm still having the same problem. Could someone (Twinny perhaps) please check with the boffins and find out what the cookies for this site look like? Then it should be a simple matter of setting the computer to accept those cookies.

Mike

#7 Don Speekingleesh

Don Speekingleesh

• 1,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 23:02

I have a cookie called forums.atlasf1, try that maybe?

#8 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:46

My cookie is forums.autosport-atlas.com/

I suggest that you delete all similar cookies that don't match that URL type and see if that works as there might be some form of conflict taking place if the old ones are still on your system.

To do this, go to the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop on and right-click, then left-click on 'Properties'. Then left-click on 'Settings' and, in the new window, left-click on 'View Files'. This will display a [probably somewhat frightenly long] list of cookies and the like.

If you now hover the cursor over an area of blank space and right-click, you'll be given options of how the list is displayed - left-click on 'Arrange Icons By' and if your list is a big jumble, click on 'Type'. This will at least group the cookies all together.

Then hunt out the various - older - cookies lurking within and delete them by highlighting it/them and selecting 'Delete' from the drop-down menu under 'File' in the top-left-hand corner (or by any other method you're used to).

I hope that helps.

#9 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:39

I'm getting this problem too and didn't know I wasn't alone.

Oddly, it happens on my desktop PC, which is quite new (August I think) but not on my older laptop (January 2005). The laptop behaves normally, and the way every other PC I've had in the last five years has behaved, in that I never have to log back in.

The desktop logs me out every few minutes. I won't bore you with the spec of the machines but they've both very up to date.

What Stuart says about the cookie is interesting as a cookie forums.autosport-atlas.com shouldn't be readable from a server forums.autosport.com. That's breaking some basic security rules and it's possible my newer PC has some security setting switched on by default that is switched off on my laptop.

At the risk of getting techie, if the server is logging someone in, holding that information in session but also writing a cookie to the PC, all will be fine until the session expires and then the server tries to access the cookie to transparently log the user back on again. If it can't see the cookie because of the browser's security settings, the user will be asked to log back in. If the sessions are set to expire after five minutes, that would explain why we get five minutes and then have to log back in.

Stu - could you forward this to one of your techies and ask them to comment. If I'm talking rubbish, they should feel free to say so.

Allen

#10 Antoine Pilette

Antoine Pilette

• 253 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 20:29

The "signing-out" thing happens to me too on my Mac.
OS 10.4.4, Safari.

#11 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 20:55

I have a problem and I can"t find the answer.

When I log in to forums, I get a message at the bottom saying I have "X"
messages since my last visit.
"Y" unread messages and a total of "Z"messages in my folders.

To read all my messages I am supposed to "click here"

I see only four messages ???

Where do I find my folders ?

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:39

I'm afraid I don't have enough technical knowledge to sort this out. Is there anyone who can throw shed light on the matter, please?

(These posts were originally submitted to the 'Suggestion box' thread on TNF.)

#13 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:43

Originally posted by macoran
I have a problem and I can"t find the answer.

When I log in to forums, I get a message at the bottom saying I have "X"
messages since my last visit.
"Y" unread messages and a total of "Z"messages in my folders.

To read all my messages I am supposed to "click here"

I see only four messages ???

Where do I find my folders ?

1) There are messages in the "Sent" folder too
2) You are probably viewing messages only from the last X days. Change it to show you the messages from the beginning.

#14 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:46

Originally posted by Allen Brown
I'm getting this problem too and didn't know I wasn't alone.

Oddly, it happens on my desktop PC, which is quite new (August I think) but not on my older laptop (January 2005). The laptop behaves normally, and the way every other PC I've had in the last five years has behaved, in that I never have to log back in.

The desktop logs me out every few minutes. I won't bore you with the spec of the machines but they've both very up to date.

What Stuart says about the cookie is interesting as a cookie forums.autosport-atlas.com shouldn't be readable from a server forums.autosport.com. That's breaking some basic security rules and it's possible my newer PC has some security setting switched on by default that is switched off on my laptop.

At the risk of getting techie, if the server is logging someone in, holding that information in session but also writing a cookie to the PC, all will be fine until the session expires and then the server tries to access the cookie to transparently log the user back on again. If it can't see the cookie because of the browser's security settings, the user will be asked to log back in. If the sessions are set to expire after five minutes, that would explain why we get five minutes and then have to log back in.

Stu - could you forward this to one of your techies and ask them to comment. If I'm talking rubbish, they should feel free to say so.

Allen

You will only get a cookie if you log in at http://forums.autosport.com - that is the only cookie that will work and the only cookie that will be placed on your computer.

If that cookie for some reason cannot be stored on your computer, you need to look at your computer for the reason(s) : does your browser accept cookies from autosport.com? Have you got some software that might prevent it? Etc.

#15 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:46

Originally posted by Twin Window
My cookie is forums.autosport-atlas.com/

I suggest that you delete all similar cookies that don't match that URL type and see if that works as there might be some form of conflict taking place if the old ones are still on your system.

To do this, go to the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop on and right-click, then left-click on 'Properties'. Then left-click on 'Settings' and, in the new window, left-click on 'View Files'. This will display a [probably somewhat frightenly long] list of cookies and the like.

If you now hover the cursor over an area of blank space and right-click, you'll be given options of how the list is displayed - left-click on 'Arrange Icons By' and if your list is a big jumble, click on 'Type'. This will at least group the cookies all together.

Then hunt out the various - older - cookies lurking within and delete them by highlighting it/them and selecting 'Delete' from the drop-down menu under 'File' in the top-left-hand corner (or by any other method you're used to).

I hope that helps.

The forums.autosport-atlas.com URL is obsolete and you should not use it.

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 18:57

Originally posted by bira
The forums.autosport-atlas.com URL is obsolete and you should not use it.

Aha!! I bet if you do use it, it will still try to use an autosport.com cookie which will result in you being logged out. Any of you guys still using the old URL when you get this problem?

Bira - any chance of putting a hard redirect on the old URL?

I'm afraid I fixed mine by explicitly allowing third-party cookies in autosport.com. Not an ideal way to fix it but eventually one has to give up on the elegant solution.

Allen

#17 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 19:18

Allen I think you are confusing a couple of things here.

If you visit forums.autosport.com - then a cookie placed by autosport-atlas.com will NOT work and can NOT be read by the server, period. This is NOT what a third party cookie means.

A third party cookie means that you visit http://forums.autosport.com - but the banners from http://ads.haynet.com running on these pages are trying to place a cookie on your machine, to count the number of times you view ads served by it. So when a cookie from a domain DIFFERENT to the domain in your address bar is trying to be PLACED, that is when your browser will block it, unless you allow third party cookies there.

It is imperative you understand that there is no way, no how, that forums.autosport.com can read, access or even know of the existence of any other cookie on your computer - no matter what permissions you enter in your browser.

#18 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 15:53

In my Favorites folder I have a shortcut to this forum using this link The Nostalgia Forum.
When I use this I am logged in and get User CP - Buddies - Calendar etc as menu shortcuts. To get to this thread I followed Stu's (Twinnie's) shortcut in the Suggestion box thread. It had an address which replaced atlasf1 with autosport in the domain name. When I get to the thread the menu shortcut now has Register - Calendar. My IE 6 SP1 privacy setting is Medium.

So I am recognised as when I use AtlasF1 but not by Autosport.

Found my password and used the MyAtlas shortcut to log in on the Autosport domain and it all seems OK now.

Does that help anyone?

#19 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 15:55

I think it's inevitable that I will need to do what Allen Brown suggests, and place hard redirects from the old domains to the new ones.

Advertisement

#20 Dimo

Dimo

• 38,349 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 20:50

Originally posted by bira
1) There are messages in the "Sent" folder too
2) You are probably viewing messages only from the last X days. Change it to show you the messages from the beginning.

Perhaps it is worth reconsidering this request?