Photo

ERA racer Martin Morris has died

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 22:20

Sad news learned on Saturday that longtime owner and driver of ERA R11B, Martin Morris, has died after suffering heart trouble in recent years. He was a highly competitive driver, particularly as a sparring partner to the late Patrick Lindsay with whom he traded Seaman Trophy wins; he won the Historic Trophy ten times between 1969 and 1986, and also won the Vintage Seaman Trophy in 1973 in Hamish Morten's Bentley. He raced his ex-works D-Type Jaguar in Lloyds & Scottish races, and some of the early 50s sports car events, and also used his Le Mans Rep. Frazer Nash on rallies.

He was an unassuming gentleman and most enjoyable company. Sincere condolences to his widow Sue, and son David, the current custodian of R11B who has continued his father's tradition of Seaman Trophy successes.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 22:36

My condolences to his family.

#3 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 22:48

and my condolences too. a lovely gentleman, JCB days are beginning to seem like a long time ago now!

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 00:32

My condolences too. Martin Morris always seemed to epitomise the "Gentleman Racer" that we all would love to be. He will be sadly missed.
David B

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,577 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:57

Sad news indeed. Martin will always be linked to ERA history and will be missed. :(

#6 Gav Astill

Gav Astill

• 239 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:25

Very sad news, and another link to the past is gone. He was a star at the very first motor race I ever went to, a VSCC Oulton in the mid 70's.

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 16:43

Martin Morris as I shall remember him....

Posted Image

P.S. I should also have mentioned his other son, Miles, late of Christies motor car division in the US, but now running Morris ad Welford, LLC, historic car consultants and brokers based in Connecticut.

#8 Stuart_Forrest

Stuart_Forrest

• 92 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 18:06

Originally posted by Alan Cox
I should also have mentioned his other son, Miles, late of Christies motor car division in the US, but now running Morris ad Welford, LLC, historic car consultants and brokers based in Connecticut.

And all round "good bloke" I might add. A great shame to hear the news about his father.

#9 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 20:11

Sad news indeed. I used to speak to Martin Morris in various paddocks and he was a very pleasant person, always taking time to chat and of course an extremely rapid driver, in fact good enough to have been a professional racer.

If memory serves me correctly it was Martin who won the 1980 Monaco Historic race in R11B beating Neil Corner's W125 Mercedes Benz.

#10 roadmap

roadmap

• 94 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 20:45

Martin loved his preparing and racing Humphrey.

Lovely story in Martins own words on www.topsclub.com

look under Event Reports, then Ollon-Villars 2003

He will be sadly missed.