Photo

Otis Chandler - publisher - racer - collector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TooTall

TooTall

• 336 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:30

Otis Chandler, former Publisher of the Los Angeles Times newspaper has passed away at the age of 78. His name may not be familiar to most of you but under his reign as publisher, the Los Angeles Times went from a regional publication to a major national newspaper. Chandler was a long time car enthusiast and the L. A. Times became the title sponsor for Southern California's premier road race, the Times Grand Prix at Riverside. The Times Grand Prix was initially for sports cars, then became a round of the USRRC, then Can-Am, followed by F5000, single seat Can-Am and finally a 6 hour IMSA race. The first race I ever went to was the 1973 Times Grand Prix Can-Am race at Riverside. Chandler was a car enthusiast all of his life and at various times had significant collections of classic American cars, motorcycles, American muscle cars and racing Porsches. I remember seeing him compete in a vintage race at Riverside in the ex-Penske/Donohue Porsche 917-30 Can-Am car. He also owned a 917K that had been one of cars used by Steve McQueen in the film LeMans. Chandler also drove in several IMSA races in a 935 teamed with his friend John Thomas. Chandlers son Michael, raced Formula Ford, Super Vee and managed a few starts in Cart Champ Cars. I encountered Chandler several times and he was an impressive person, tall, blond haired and broad shouldered he looked like the quintissencial California surfer. He was in fact an avid outdoorsman and athlete all his life. He was one of those truely larger than life personalities that has become incresingly rare these days.

Below is a link to his obituary.

http://www.latimes.c...-home-headlines

Kurt Oblinger

Advertisement

#2 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:46

i met mr chandler years ago at pebble beach...i was cleaning a car in the very early morning mist wearing a dirty stanford sweatshirt...he walked up and introduced himself as a fellow alumni..we talked for 20 minutes or so swapping old stanford stories ..he was a charming fellow ..he never mentioned who he was nor did we speak a word about cars...a great loss indeed.

#3 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:10

I read of his passing this morning on the Times web-site. It's so sad, he was so young. Otis was a Los Angeles icon, basically if he would have run for major, he would have easily won. His son ran in CART up until an accident in 1984. He did quite well, especially in the Gurney Eagle. I think he actually tried to qualify Indy in 84 with the Ligier, before going back to the Eagle. Sad news. :cry:

#4 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 14:00

What an amazing life, what an amazing man. He did a lot I know for the Petersen Museum, I believe.

#5 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 18:00

RIP Mr. Chandler.
The gearheads of Ojai miss you already.

#6 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,214 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 14:41

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1
I read of his passing this morning on the Times web-site. It's so sad, he was so young.

78! So young?! :eek:

But, that notwithstanding, I'm sorry to hear of his death. :(