Photo

New Walt Hansgen biography by Michael Argetsinger

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 17:34

Michael Argetsinger, a sometimes contributor to this forum, has completed his long-awaited bio of American star, Walt Hansgen. Argetsinger places Hansgen's career against the background of the massive changes that took place in US road racing, which went from a purely amateur sport to one of full professionalism within Walt's racing days. Argetsinger had an insider's view of the governance of American road racing, as well as the cooperation of the Hansgen family. Publisher David Bull should be given credit for putting out this old-style bio, which is far more lengthy than most sad motor racing bios published today. For further info, go to http://www.bullpublishing.com

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 18:44

The book will be available on line after March 10th. Michael is on the book tour as we speak.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 21:37

This book will probably confirm Michael Argetsinger as an author and historian...

He spent a lot of time and energy travelling about the country to talk to people who knew Walt and races with him, but all along the book was really a vehicle for him to express the story of how racing began in those early post-war times and grew to be the platform from which today's multi-faceted theatre could spring.

He is, as many here know, uniquely qualified to record this adventure. He grew up as a part of it, knew the players in the act, watched the play from start to finish. If there were points he needed to review, he had the channels of communication to those who could fill in the details.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

#4 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 14:14

As Ray has mentioned, Mike has been working on this for awhile and his research can only be described as "thorough." Mike is a superb writer and accomplished speaker who is also a fine historian. There are few books I have anticipated more than this one.

It is interesting to hear how many of Hansgen's contemporaries and others around at that time rate him: very highly. John Bishop didn't hesitate to name Hansgen as the best in his book.

Once again, if you are in any way able to get to Watkins Glen and the IMRRC on 1 April, Mike will be doing a presentation based upon the book. I know that Paul and a number of others will be there (alas, I won't, so Paul my good friend, please have an extra glass of vino for me.... :up: ). It promises to be a very great afternoon.

Don

#5 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:36

Originally posted by cabianca
For further info, go to http://www.bullpublishing.com

Can't find anything there about this title...not on the home page, nor on the Sports Cars or Driver Bios pages.

#6 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 16:06

They emailed me backed on Friday. It doesn't go sale until March 10th. You can call the #800 and order it over the phone. That's what I'm going to do.

#7 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 00:25

Originally posted by David M. Kane
The book will be available on line after March 10th. Michael is on the book tour as we speak.

Yes, my wife and I will do our best to see Mike while in Florida this month!

Henry

#8 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 00:30

Where/when will Mike be in Florida? Amelia Island, perhaps?

Jack

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 00:56

That's right, Amelia Island for the launch, then the following weekend he's signing books at Sebring...

This Sebring race marks 40 years since Hansgen's last event. He went on from his second place there to ultimately crash at the Le Mans test day the following week.

#10 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 00:57

Thanks, Ray. I'll try to find Mike at Amelia,

Jack

#11 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:59

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Mike is a superb writer and accomplished speaker who is also a fine historian.

I very much agree. :up:

#12 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 312 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:25

What relation does Michael Argetsinger have with Peter Argetsinger? Is he his brother?

#13 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:07

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1
What relation does Michael Argetsinger have with Peter Argetsinger? Is he his brother?

Yep.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:36

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
Thanks, Ray. I'll try to find Mike at Amelia,

Did you find him?

Mike had a great time at both events, they are very pleased with the interest and sales of the book... especially at Sebring.

Jack, what do you think about what you have read so far? Anybody else?

#15 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 14:39

I was happy enough to meet both Michael and Peter at Sebring. We did chat at length about his book and the good old times. I have not yet read it, but my first impression is that Michael did a great job recalling not only Walt Hansgens career but also the spirit of the 50ies and 60ies.

Well done, Michael - and hope to see you soon at Watkins Glen.

#16 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 17:14

I had the pleasure to attend last weekend Mike Argetsinger’s presentation at the International Motor Racing Research Center of his new book. It was my first time visiting IMRRC and I whole heartedly encourage anyone to visit the center. I got to meet Mike and his brother Sam, Brock Yates and David Bull who was gracious enough to listen to my ideas for future books that I would like to see. I’m planning on going again in May to hear Gary Doyle’s presentation on Ralph De Palma and Brock Yates presentation on Indy Roadsters sounds very interesting.

Since Watkins Glen is only 3 hours drive away from my parents place I don’t know why I never visited before, silly me. Watkins Glen is an excellent area to visit for many reasons. The scenery is incredible, the actual Glen is amazing and must be seen. The town itself at the bottom of the lake is picturesque with a lot of shops on the main street. Paul Medici and I picked up some racing posters. All around the area are wineries to visit and I don’t have to mention that the roads are fun to drive on. There are a lot of waterfalls and gorges in the area to hike and explore. In Elmira there is a Warplane museum. So there are a lot of non-motorsport reasons to visit.

I have only read about 100 pages of Mike’s book so far but I echo other TNF’s opinion stated already, it’s an excellent book about a man and an era I have to admit I didn’t know much about. Well done Mike!

OT

The reason for the delay in me posting this is that I had a hard drive crash (read/write head failure) when I returned home. I took the hard drive to a computer service tech who managed to recover and copy my data to a new hard drive. In my panic I realized that I did my last data back-up last October, so the moral of the story is back up anything that you want to keep. A good scare is healthy now and then……

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 15:54

Paul Medici was good enough to take his camera along to the IMRRC at Watkins Glen, where almost 100 people listened intently as Mike spoke about his book and related subjects.

There was, naturally enough, a signing...

Posted Image

...and some important visitors, among whom the gent on the left in this photo...

Posted Image

...must have rated very highly.

There with Mike and publisher David Bull is 95 year old Bill Milliken. Apart from having a corner bearing his name on the old 6.6-mile road circuit at Watkins Glen, he's been a very special friend for Mike throughout his lifetime. Encouraging Mike on his path over these many years, it must have given him some pleasure to see this book cover the territory that it does, revealing to all just what went on both before the public and behind the scenes during an ever-changing decade and a half.

#18 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:41

Very cool. Congratulations Mike! I will be meeting him Saturday in Chicago. I am looking forward to it.

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:53

I'd love to be there...

I'm now halfway through the book. It's a very informative effort, and it certainly shows how far and wide Mike has gone to track down people who knew the subjects well.

Give my best to Mike and your dad.

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:09

Finished the book, and it is an eminently easy to read story indeed...

It keeps up one's interest as it keeps moving on with the story, and what a story! The intertwining of the Hansgen bio with the development of the cars and of the racing, not to mention the ongoing struggle between pro-professional and pro-amateur drivers and organisations is natural and involving.

The thoroughness of the research stands out. I daresay there are those who could find a fault here or there, and I found two errors myself. But they are a rarety, and I'm trained to find error... in fact, for me to find just two is indicative that there aren't many more!

For the record, those errors are the length of the Brands Hatch circuit, which might well be a typo, and (curiously enough, in the same chapter) the calling of Jack Brabham's car a 'Brabham BT8 Repco'... which of course it couldn't have been in 1964. Officially, it would have been a Repco-Brabham BT8 Coventry-Climax.

But if I can put the book down with just these two items to mention, and I can say wholeheartedly that I've learned an awful lot that I never knew before, then it's been a very worthwhile read.

It follows the Briggs Cunningham team for the years Walt drove for it, 1956 to 1963, when it disbanded. Then it follows the swelling Mecom team until Walt's death. These stories alone are worth reading.

It also shows the development of circuits, tells of the battles they faced to survive, and the growth of spectator interest. It takes the reader to Le Mans many times, it delves into the feelings of Brian Lister in the period when he lost his friend and loyal driver Archie Scott-Brown, and also his finalising of his race car business.

Visits to places like the Maserati works are documented, many facets of the race team life are opened up to the reader and the words of many of the people involved are quoted... both from period documentation and from recent interviewing by Mike.

As mentioned previously, the chapters are all very short. This aids the reader in putting the book down and knowing where to pick it up again. It also gives an ease of reading that makes it more pleasurable.

The list of contributors to the book is nearly endless... despite the fact that it was written almost 40 years after the man's death. It's very much a living book, one that transports the reader to the time and shows him what really went on those days.

This could only be possible because of Mike's personal knowledge of the subject and everything around him. I know it fulfilled a dream for him to put these things on paper, I know he set aside several hours each day for a couple of years to research and write it, and he did that others might know more of the things he's lived amongs all his life.

Those who remember the insightful posts that Mike has put on this forum over the years will understand what I am saying. Even though he is sorely missed here, at least something of his potential contribution is available for your bookshelf.

#21 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:20

sounds like I'm going to hunt for a copy when I visit the States later this month then!

#22 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 21:02

I got my copy yesterday. It paints a very interesting insight into American racing in the '50-60s; but it also gives an insight in America when she was in her glory. I miss that period so!

David Bull Publishing has other books that look very intersting too. I think I found a new place to spent my money.

I'm taking my copy of Michael's book to Road America next week so I can get he and "August" Pabst to sign it. :clap:

#23 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:00

I have just finished reading the book and enjoyed it immensely. I have one puzzle though and it concerns how much Walt was paid by the various team owners? There is a suggestion that he raced on as he needed the money. Whether this is correct or not I wonder what Briggs Cunningham or John Mecom would have paid him either as a retainer or percentage of prize money?
SS

#24 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:07

Originally posted by Gary C
sounds like I'm going to hunt for a copy when I visit the States later this month then!

It seems to be easily available in London, Gary. Or was that not your point?

#25 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 16:37

Posted Image

At Watkins Glen, the track made famous by the Argetsinger family. Walt Hansgen takes the Cunningham Cooper/Buick to victory in the September 1962 feature. This car was later sold to Ernie Gravelle of Seaside, California. Ernie put his son in law Chuck Parsons in this car.

#26 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 18:17

'It seems to be easily available in London, Gary. Or was that not your point?'
My point being that it's a damn sight cheaper in the U.S.!!

#27 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 18:33

Originally posted by Gary C
'It seems to be easily available in London, Gary. Or was that not your point?'
My point being that it's a damn sight cheaper in the U.S.!!

A damn sight cheaper than the £19.79 delivered that Amazon UK are currently offering?

#28 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 19:54

I bought mine directly from Mike himself - personally signed!

A great read.

I particularly like the fact that alongside the history of a very good racing driver runs the story of the development of sports car racing in the U.S.A through the 1950s and early 1960s.

I cannot recommend this book too highly.

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 20:48

And, no doubt, you are looking forward to the next one...

As I am.

Good piccies there, Jerry, thanks for posting those.

#30 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 22:12

Posted Image
Walt Hansgen leading the 1965 Road America 500 aboard his Mecom Lola T 70-Ford. In the background Jessie Wyllie with his Lola Mk1. I am not sure what rear engined special Walt is passing #63 maybe RA Historian can help? Walt only completed 83 laps before he had a DNF. Walt was on the pole with a lap of 2:27.8. Glad you like the pictures Ray. I also highly recommend Michael's fine book on Walt Hansgen. This race was won by Jim Hall and Hap Sharp in the Chaparral.
photos lent site Willem Oosthoek-research by Willem Oosthoek.

#31 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 22:47

Would you believe it is not listed in the entry form? !

There were three specials in the race. Dick Dagiel's Dirty Pop Special, which I do not think this was. There also was Bryon Bossart's Laura Special, but I think that was a four cylinder car whereas this picture looks as if there is a hump for velocity stacks. So,

That may be Joe Scopelite in the "Bonanza-Chevrolet".

But on this one I may very well be wrong!

#32 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 23:36

Originally posted by Barry Boor
I bought mine directly from Mike himself - personally signed!

A great read.

I particularly like the fact that alongside the history of a very good racing driver runs the story of the development of sports car racing in the U.S.A through the 1950s and early 1960s.

I cannot recommend this book too highly.

Ditto to the above ~

Check out the Publisher's Edition Copy - The signature page

Posted Image

His next work is a continuation of sorts, centered around another famous driver.

:cool:

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 23:40

Richard, are we allowed to say who?

I know and I guess you do too.

Surely your book must have cost more?

#34 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 00:11

Barry, When I spoke with Mike last, he didn't say one way or another regarding confidentiality when he told me of his next subject. Out of respect to him and his work, I am cryptic because I was unsure as well... I figure if people know Mike, they can call or email him for further details.

Regarding the cost of the Publisher's Edition - there are/were two versions, the regular hard-bound version like you have and a extra-special, leather bound version. The standard Publisher's Edition was $225 and I think the leather bound one was $375.

#35 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:54

If you happen to be in northeastern New York state on November 9th,
pay a visit to the Saratoga Automobile Museum.

http://www.saratogaa...news.php?NID=20

They also currently have a display honoring John Fitch including several
cars that he raced.

#36 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 15:19

Peter raced F3 against Nigel Mansell et al in the day...

#37 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 15:51

I add my vote of praise to Mike's book -- a superb job, which obviously entailed an enormous amount of meticulous research.

I was lucky enough to see Walt race at a number of venues, and had the great pleasure of working with him at LeMans 63: he was a real class act.

#38 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 19:49

Originally posted by rdrcr
Barry, When I spoke with Mike last, he didn't say one way or another regarding confidentiality when he told me of his next subject. Out of respect to him and his work, I am cryptic because I was unsure as well... I figure if people know Mike, they can call or email him for further details.

Like Richard, my lips are sealed, but I think that folks will be quite happy with the topic that Mike has chosen. That is all I can venture forth for the moment.

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 20:28

Let's not forget why Walt Hansgen was chosen as a subject...

His career covered an important period in the growth of road racing in America. And he was right in the thick of it, even though he might not have been participating to any large degree in the politics that came along that path.

The Hansgen book is a vehicle to deliver the story of that growth just as much as it is an extremely well researched biography on the man.

Mike told me he was getting up early each day and spending some hours, I think it was five hours, every day on the work involved. He made trips to many parts of the USA to meet with the many people who contributed knowledge and memories, not to mention scrap books, letters and photographs, to the work.

I think it's fair to say that the next book would be a letdown if it didn't cover the next phase in the development of US racing, and it would be a surprise if it were any less well researched.

Advertisement

#40 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 00:47

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps

Like Richard, my lips are sealed, but I think that folks will be quite happy with the topic that Mike has chosen. That is all I can venture forth for the moment.

Perhaps there are several in development................... :cool:

Henry

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:48

Originally posted by HistoricMustang
Perhaps there are several in development...................

Not with the kind of effort Mike puts into his research...

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 14:39

Posted Image
After winning the 1962 Watkins Glen GP with his Cooper Monaco /Buick. Walt shares the Upstate New York Bubbly with the race Queen. Al Momo cleans his glasses in the passenger seat.
photo lent site by Willem Oosthoek

#43 chuckbrandt

chuckbrandt

• 424 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 15:09

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Posted Image
Walt Hansgen leading the 1965 Road America 500 aboard his Mecom Lola T 70-Ford. In the background Jessie Wyllie with his Lola Mk1. I am not sure what rear engined special Walt is passing #63 maybe RA Historian can help? Walt only completed 83 laps before he had a DNF. Walt was on the pole with a lap of 2:27.8. Glad you like the pictures Ray. I also highly recommend Michael's fine book on Walt Hansgen. This race was won by Jim Hall and Hap Sharp in the Chaparral.
photos lent site Willem Oosthoek-research by Willem Oosthoek.

The proportions of the car Walt is passing sure reminds me of the Campbel Special, any chance of that?

Chuck

Check the "As found" picture on this website, pretty similar.
Campbell Special Restoration

#44 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:08

It does have similarity to the Campbell Special, doesn't it? But that car never was at Road America. Further, this was in 1965, well after the Campbell Special had raced on the West Coast. My conclusion is that it is "Bonanza-Chevrolet" driven by Joe Scopelite.

The photo caption also says that Hansgen is leading the 1965 RA 500 in the Lola. Only if the photo was taken on the first lap! Walt led from the pole, but part way around lap one was passed by Jim Hall in the Chaparral 2. Hall, assisted by Hap Sharp and Ronnie Hissom, led all the way, being credited with all 125 laps led. The only time this happened at the RA 500.

#45 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:27

Still curious if anyone knows anything?

I have just finished reading the book and enjoyed it immensely. I have one puzzle though and it concerns how much Walt was paid by the various team owners? There is a suggestion that he raced on as he needed the money. Whether this is correct or not I wonder what Briggs Cunningham or John Mecom would have paid him either as a retainer or percentage of prize money?
SS

#46 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:42

In those days it was customary to give the driver 40% and the mechanics 10%. The Team owners got the rest. The driver was usually given his living expenses by the team paying for his food and room. In Europe the drivers were usually given starting monies. In America they would give it to Formula one drivers but not the American drivers. They figured they had to help them get to the races. Only the biggest tracks could afford starting monies for the drivers. The tracks would have rather increased the prize monies so it looked better to the public. Like Indy was the first race to give $100,000 to the winner. And also I believe the first to give over 1 million dollars to the winner. A good retainer in the late 50's would be between $250 and $500 dollars per race. In the 60's it would have been between $1,000 and $2,000 per race. Today in a series like NASCAR drivers are paid in the millions I am sure. That is for the season not per race. All made possible by the drivers who came before them. In the old days there were no TV deals or big sponsors around yet.

#47 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 00:34

Originally posted by Squire Straker
Still curious if anyone knows anything?

Yes I do. I communicated with Mike today as he just got back home after an almost month long drive around the country interviewing individuals and gathering data for his next book. I asked him about revealing the identity, and Mike said that it is no secret and he is quite alright with it. So, here it is:

Mark Donohue.

Once Mike gets all his research together the book will be written. Hopefully it will come out sometime in the next year. Judging from just how good the Hansgen book is, the Mark Donohue bio will be great.

I certainly look forward to it!

#48 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:45

I also got an email from Mike - seems it's OK to let the cat out of the bag... as RA has already mentioned.

We're not the only ones who think his book is top-notch. The critics seem to think so as well. It is rumored that The Motor Press Guild has nominated the Walt Hansgen book for the Dean Batchelor Award .

If true, it will be a fantastic achievement on his first work.

#49 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:15

Hey, that's great, and well deserved...

Mike put a pile of effort into that book and he's just completed a 3,000+mile drive around the countryside talking to people whe knew Mark and were a part of his racing career.

I would hope that there are people who at some time spent time with Mark who will let Mike know if there is something that he told them at some time that might be pertinent to the book.

#50 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:12

Mike returned from the Dean Batchelor Award presentation on the West Coast, but without the award...

But he was among the three finalists, which would surprise nobody who has seen the book.

Not only that, but he went along to the presentation of the International Automotive Media Competition 2006 International Automotive Media Awards (IAMAs), where he won the 'Best of Books' award... first place!

And deservedly so. As he presses on with his research for the Mark Donohue book he's again travelling the country visiting family, friends and racing associates, as well as competitors, of Hansgen's protege. Undoubtedly this will be another book well worth reading.