Photo

Some board track racing questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 indyricefan13

indyricefan13

• 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:38

First of all in my opinion the board track period is one of the most fascinating in the history of Indy car racing but unfortunately for some reason not much attention is given to it.
I have a few questions after studying the Phil Harms statistics for the 1920s?

1.In 1925 there was a national championship race held on the board track at
Altoona on June 13th. The Phil Harms data gives the race name as "The Spring Classic". Why was a race held in the summer called a spring classic? Or is there maybe some American realia in it that I cannot understand?

2.Who is Antoine Mourre? This (probably) French racing driver started seven national championship races in 1924 including the Indy 500 where he finished 9th. He scored 225 point that year and was 11th in the AAA National points. A google search showed that he had also participated in GP racing. But is there any more info on this guy? And what led this European driver to the US to race the exotic and dangerous board tracks in 1924?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:50

Doesn't Summer starts on June 21 ?
Re Antoine Mourre I don't think he was French. French drivers were very much the hype in those days and many an American driver changed his name to a French sounding one. Joe Boyer IIRC is an example , a fact often motivated by sports agents (managers) who were a very important part of the game in those days.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:54

Originally posted by Frank Verplanken
Doesn't Summer starts on June 21 ?
...many an American driver changed his name to a French sounding one. Joe Boyer IIRC is an example

I think you mean Leon Duray

#4 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 14:58

Yes David thanks a lot, Leon Duray of course ! :blush:

#5 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:00

I may be wrong, but wasn't Antoine Mourre something to do with Marcel Violet and the various Major/Violet-Bogey cyclecars that had success in the 20s? Maybe he was doing an Alfred Moss and "studying" in the States, or on a transatlantic sales pitch. (Or just coining it in, there are quite a few European drivers over in the States at that time. Mme Helle-Nice did some demo runs into the 30s.)

#6 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 15:00

And anyway Mourre could have been French since an Antoine Mourre drove a Major cycle-car in France in the immediate post WWI years... Mea maxima culpa.

#7 indyricefan13

indyricefan13

• 61 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 18:20

Thank you. Regading Mourre I think that is the same guy. I would like to know some more facts from his racing career.

You mentioned Leon Duray in this thread. It's true. He started life as George Stewart but later changed the name. He was one of the most talented and at the same time fearless competitors the board tracks had ever seen. There was only one way for Duray to run a race: flat out. And he would either win it or his car would fall to pieces. It's a shame that he is rarely mentioned by race fans today.