Photo

Westmead Circuit (South Africa)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 778 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 19:23

I first found out about the Westmead Circuit, just outside of Durban, about 5 years ago when I was looking for a track to build for Grand prix Legends. I had not realised that a F1 circuit had existed only a few kilometres from my flat. Amazingly it was difficult to find anyone who could actually pinpoint the exact location of the track and so I set about investigating myself, the result being is that I am pretty sure of where most of the track ran. The site is now an industrial estate, some of the roads follow the original track route and many of the roads in the area are named after drivers who raced there or other circuits.

I gave up on the GPL track long ago but I had gathered quite a lot of info so I thought it would be a good idea to share what I have found out about this little circuit that some of the greatest drivers ever raced on.

Posted Image
The only map I have come across for the track.

Posted Image
Using Google Earth I found the track location and have made a crude overlay to show where the track lay. As you can see many of the original track sections are still used as public roads including the start/finish straight, Club Corner, The Rise/Saddle and the back straight.

Posted Image
Looking back from Club Corner back in the early sixties. Thanks to Ron Korte for this pic, thats him leading!

Posted Image
The same view in 2006. Yes, it's mine, not the greatest muscle car but gets pretty good MPG :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Looking backwards along where the grid would have lined up. A local motoring journalist suggested that the building on the right (Rentokill offices) was the control tower. It certainly looks like one but on the pictures I have of the circuit (like the one further up the post) and the track map, the control tower should be the other side of the track. The only thing I can think is that this was built later on, if it was indeed a control tower?

Posted Image
Looking towards Club from where the start/finish line could have been.

Posted Image
Entry into Club.

Posted Image
Half way round Club.

Posted Image
Exit of Club.

Posted Image
Exit of Club looking backwards.

Posted Image
The straight after Club, The Draai would have turned left somewhere along here.

Posted Image
Looking backwards along The Rise/Saddle, know fittingly known as Hocking Road :up:

Posted Image
Looking forwards. This pic was taken a few years back, as you can see I'm pretty keen on 41KW motor cars ;) I think it fulfilled my ambition to own a red, two door, Italian car :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Looking down the main straight. There is a factory where Devils Leap was and I couldn't get in there as the security guard didn't seem to share my enthusiasm for old racing circuits:(

Posted Image
Looking back from further along the straight.

When I get the chance I want to have a walk around the whole area to see if I can find any more clues to what was there before. I also want to research the circuit history a bit more, apart from the Natal Grand Prix held in 1961/2 I don't know a lot about what else took place or for how long racing continued. If anyone knows anything aout events that happened at Westmead please feel free to share them here :up:

Advertisement

#2 Rob Miller

Rob Miller

• 377 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:40

Chris, Ron Korte's picture is puzzling me. I don't remember cars of that era racing at Westmead. Any chance of finding out more information?

#3 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:45

Nice pics Chris! I wondered what had happened to that place. I remember when they had a Springbok Series for F1
Natal GP at Westmead
SA GP at East London
Rand GP at Kyalami
Cape GP at Kilarney
The other 3 are still in use of course.

#4 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:49

Originally posted by Rob Miller
Chris, Ron Korte's picture is puzzling me. I don't remember cars of that era racing at Westmead. Any chance of finding out more information?

Yes,that puzzled me - look more like early 50s cars - maybe they did have a support race for those?

#5 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:34

This pic is of the Junior Coronation for the Easter Monday 1962 races at Westmead.
It was one of the support race and run on a handicap basis.

This "Junior" type race allowed the true amateurs and their famous old "Natal" specials to have an airing.

Pic shows Ron in his MG Special leading # 50 "Jasper" an MG Special built by Les Miller, driven by John Peate.

This group were the first cars "off" 8 min 26 secs ahead of the last car "limit" man Peter Schekelton in his Peugeot Special. The race being over 22 laps. approx 50 miles.

The car behind John is the Moriat an MG Special with some Fiat suspension etc campaigned by Des Jenkin at one time in the mid 50's, driven by G Moss. The car on the outside, with the prominent exghaust pipe, is another MG Special 1250 driven by Reg Henderson.

In the background in the pits you can see cars waiting to go off. These included MGA, A-H Sprites, a Lotus XI, Triumph TR3A's, Darts and other Specials.

As an aside Ron Korte was later to acquire a Lotus 18 which he campaigned with Alfa power and also the ex-Stirling Moss Borgward F2 engine.

#6 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 16:18

BTW, at the time of it's demise I think Westmead had the fastest record lap average speed of all the SA circuits.

#7 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 07:01

Thanks Chris for your nice photos and for sharing some South African racing nostalgia.

Old Jasper in the Ron Korte's pic is still in splendid condition. Took a couple of pics earlier in the year and this car is really in "show room" condition.

Westmead was a great circuit with an all to short lifespan, but it will always have that Gary Hocking stigma.

#8 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 16:48

posting for ry6

Posted Image

1962 Westmead 120 - Doug Serrurier in new LDS Alfa leads Syd van der Vyver (Lotus 21 Climax)

#9 TraceyB

TraceyB

• 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 14:18

Chris, thank you so much for sharing the photo from Ron Korte. He was my mom's brother and therefore my uncle and I don't know how many of the family had ever seen that photo. John Peate was a good friend of the family too so its lovely to have him in the photo too.

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 22:12

If you're looking for information don't forget to ask the motorcyclists.  They also raced there.

#11 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:50

A point of interest.

If I recall correctly (?), up to the time that Westmead was closed, the circuit's  outright lap record had the highest average speed of all South African circuits at that time.

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 22:30

Is Westmead the Pietermarizburg circuit - or is that another?

#13 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:57

Is Westmead the Pietermarizburg circuit - or is that another?

The Pietermaritzburg circuit was the Roy Hesketh circuit.

#14 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 23:01

The Pietermaritzburg circuit was the Roy Hesketh circuit.

Thanks - I couldn't remember.

#15 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,068 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 22:25

Unfortunately this is also where Gary Hocking died, practising for the Natal GP in december '62. Hocking was supposed to make his F1 world championship debut a month later during the South African GP. He was only 25 and I think he, like John Surtees or Mike Hailwood, could have had a big future in F1.

I recently read that he was driving a Lotus GP car and that it is believed the front suspension of the car broke... if only Chapman would have build his cars stronger, Lotus cars were considered fragile (and thus dangerous) in those days.

Edited by William Hunt, 23 August 2020 - 22:25.