Photo

Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2006

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 18:25

Nice to see one of our illustrious members in the AtlasF1 Photo Gallery :smoking:
Our own DCN in the Vanwall :up:
Anyone get other pics of Doug?
Rob

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:54

Nice to see an Eagle there but which one is it?

I wondered if it is the one damaged at Monaco in 2004.

The picture on the Autosport/Atlas gallery shows a driver in a silver helmet. Is this Dan?

#3 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 21:05

I've only just woken up to the fact that it's this weekend! Too much work, blah, blah, blah. Just bought a ticket online.

I'll be at the beer tent at 1pm tomorrow. Hope to see quite a few of you.

Allen

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 22:12

I can confirm that the beer is very good. The band could do with being turned down a tad though.

#5 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:13

My favourites from my brief trip this year were Parnelli Jones' two Indy cars - the 1971 500 winner and the 1972 dihedral wing car - and the 1972 Tecno, which looked a lot less agricultural than I was expecting.

And a great opportunity to talk to Parnelli Jones himself who, like Indy stars at past Goodwoods, went unrecognised by most fans. Why people line up three deep at the driver's club for a chance to briefly glimpse Giancarlo Marranardo, test driver at Scuderia Muletto Rosso in 2003, when genuine stars are wandering around the paddock, I really can't understand.

Allen

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:09

do we know what the weather forecast is??

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 23:10

Originally posted by D-Type
I'm afraid I can't make it this year - enjoy yourselves.

Nor I. Trying to work out some time off for the Revival, but it will be difficult.

Paul: just :love: :love: :love: that shot of the Eagle. The 15 ain't half bad either!

#8 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:56

That Eagle is gorgeous!

:up: :up:

#9 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:10

When I spotted Doug he seemed a little wary of the paparazzi...
Posted Image

He did say, though, that he was enjoying the car - some nineteen years after driving it previously - and rediscovering that it was actually 'quite pokey'!

#10 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:12

I got some pics of Dan sitting in the car in the paddock whilst it was fettled, but I didn't actually see him go out in it.
The programme does, however, quote Dan ans the driver (so unless anyone know otherwise I guess it is him) - and it says that this is the car driven variously by McLaren and Ginther rather than the Spa winner - does that help?

#11 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 16:46

Welcome aboard.

Roger Lund.

#12 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 20:18

Originally posted by Macca
Thanks, Duncan.....sorry you can't be there.

The beer tent does indeed seem to be in the usual place by the cricket pitch; and here are a couple of tasters from today:

(needs no caption!)
Paul M

(quickens my pulse)

#13 Steve L

Steve L

• 545 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 20:14

I've just got back from enjoying Friday & Saturday at the FofS.

Friday most definitely isn't a "quiet" day anymore!

My main interest lays with the pre-war racers, and I think those presented were excellent. There were a lot of fantastic cars I hadn't seen before (the giant Fiat, Huni's Delage, the Ballot) and some great surprises (the Oldfield Benz, the GP Panhard and twin to Mark Walker's, the Mercedes W125 Hillclimb car). And I finally got to see the P2 Alfa Romeo run at last (well, coughing and spluttering as it was towed out of the pits - didn't see it on the hill, though?).

It was good to see some excellent repros too, like the Campbell Chrysler and the V16 Maserati :love:

I definitely think too much is crammed into each day though - it would be much better in my mind to have each type or class of car running more often on one day only.

I agree about the comment above regarding the future of Motor Sport magazine - on first glance the latest issue looks pretty dire :| I hope a more careful read later will prove me wrong, otherwise this will be my last issue after 20+ years of buying it.

#14 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:06

Here are a couple of tasters from today, Thursday:

Posted Image

(needs no caption!)

Posted Image

1964 Ferrari 330P

Posted Image

and one for Barry to check the exact shade of green - BRM P15

:lol:

Paul M

#15 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 17:14

Sunny intervals Friday; sunny Saturday; light showers and breezy Sunday.

Paul M

#16 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 21:04

Originally posted by TheoSixx

If you are referring to the nose on shot that appears in this thread, it is AAR Chassis No. 003.
Chassis No. 004, the 'mag-ti', won at Spa in the rain with Dan driving.
No. 003 won at Brands Hatch with Ginther driving.

Regards.
*This is my first post here.

Welcome to TNF, TheoSixx.

Yes, that is 003 - but it was second in each of the 10-lap heats at Brands and retired in the final; all three races were won by Dan Gurney in 002.

And I don't think it rained at Spa in 1967, though it famously did in 1966.

Posted Image

My car of the 2006 FoS............ironically not an original : ....but the noise it makes is outstanding.

Paul M

#17 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 23:22

Originally posted by Frank S

(quickens my pulse)

What does?

My absence? :down:

The beer tent in good company? :up:

The Eagle :up: :up: :up:

#18 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 14:28

Allen, yes i noticed that not many people recognised Parnelli Jones too. He was very friendly and signed a book i had brought along. A true legend who played a part in Shelby History by winning the L.A. Times sports car G.P. in a Shelby King Cobra in 1964. Paul

#19 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:57

How is the quality in the Beer Tent ???

Advertisement

#20 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 21:52

It did sound rather fabulous, even if the finish is a bit peculiar.
Posted Image

Innocent question? is this two recreations and one original (that's Bell in a "246 Dino" in third place)?

If I'm honest, I don't think I really mind :)

#21 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 968 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:14

I have to admit to a slight disappointment this year. Maybe it was due to the clash with Le Mans but I didn't think there were that many great cars. And the Renault display was dire, also a lack of wow factor in the Style et Luxe (apart from the obvious exception), tacky infield with little of historic interest, and sand sculputres? what was the point of that? Sorry to moan, i'll probably be back again next year.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in harassing Martin Nott about the future of Motor Sport magazine.

Posted Image
Maseratis

Posted Image
Hondas

Posted Image
Lloyd-Borgward caused a lot of interest

Posted Image
Alfa Romeo Tipo 33

---------------------
Welsh Motor Sport History

#22 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 00:30

Smashing pics Macca !!!
keep your camera rolling plzzzzzzzzz !!

#23 colinc

colinc

• 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 22:17

Many thanks to those who responded to my original query.
Went on Friday and enjoyed it immensely.
Agree with Paul M that the noise from the green nosed Ferrari is utterly shattering - other cars were loud but bearable, but that one just hurt. It was stopped in front of us in the assembly area, and when it pulled away I thought my ear-drums had had it!

#24 TheoSixx

TheoSixx

• 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 16:27

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Nice to see an Eagle there but which one is it?

If you are referring to the nose on shot that appears in this thread, it is AAR Chassis No. 003.
Chassis No. 004, the 'mag-ti', won at Spa in the rain with Dan driving.
No. 003 won at Brands Hatch with Ginther driving.

Regards.
*This is my first post here.

#25 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:18

Yes colinc, the Indy car in the middle is original!

The Lancia-Ferrari is one of 7 or 8 built up by Jim Stokes Workshops around engines located in Italy. This and one other have the 1956-style faired bodies, and all the others have the 1955-style. This one was entered by Bamford.

The other 1956-style car was at Stoneleigh in 2004, and belongs to BCE; the FoS publicity originally said they were hoping for a 246 Dino from him too.

In fact, the 246 driven by Derek Bell was one of the cars built up for Bamford by Graypaul Motors in the 1980s around original engines when Bamford had the car BCE now owns. The commentators were a bit confused to start with, thinking it was Tony Smith's ex-Corner car which was pictured in the programme.

With eight megaphone pipes, I reckon the Lancia-Ferrari sounds like two oversized MV-Agusta 500 bikes - when I first heard it coming down to the start I couldn't work out what the hell it was!

Here are another couple of Ferraris - 1952 Indy car, and 500/625 F1:

Posted Image

Apparently Dan Gurney found the pedals were all wrong for his feet when he sat in the Eagle, so he mainly drove the Ford GT40, which is an original Mk 1 owned by Ford, used as a course car sometime at the Revival, and now fitted with Mk II bodywork to look like the 1966 winner...which is a comedown after we've had the real car at the Festival several times......

Paul M

#26 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:19

I've split the preview thread to create this review thread for the 2006 FoS (I'll be putting some pics up tonight).

:up:

#27 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:09

Originally posted by Rob Ryder

Anyone get other pics of Doug?

Pics of DCN (the top one also featuring Alain de Cadanet) posted on behalf of Roger Lund;

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:49

How many of those 1930s Mercedes and Auto Unions were authentic and not replicas?

#29 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:51

Originally posted by Twin Window
[B]Pics of DCN (the top one also featuring Alain de Cadanet) posted on behalf of Roger Lund;

Posted Image

Now this would be an episode of SpeedTV's "pinks" that I would watch ;)

#30 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 13:00

I have some video footage of DCN clambering out of the Vanwall after his wet Sunday morning run - and then wiping down the bodywork.

#31 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 13:56

John Brydon's replica of the Renault AK 90 CV 13 litre was supposed to debut - was it there ?

#32 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 17:07

I've put all my photos into a gallery if anyone is interested. You can click on each image to make it larger (640x480).

http://www.the-fastl...ils.php?album=2

170 pictures at 2048x1536 = a lot of webspace/bandwidth :p That's why they're small. If anyone wants full size versions, please PM me.

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 19:26

So the answer to my question in post #16 is no! Apparently it is Bernie Carl.

I thought the silver helmet wasn't right; but then I saw Dan drive a Porsche 804 wearing a white helmet some years ago.

#34 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 19:54

that's a very strange link, Paul !!

#35 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 19:57

Originally posted by Macca

Posted Image

My car of the 2006 FoS............ironically not an original : ....but the noise it makes is outstanding.

Paul M

I can't remember the 1956 cars (as per photo) being particularly outstanding in the noise stakes, but I do remember a DSJ story about Tony Vanderwell visiting the Ferrari pits during practice for the 1957 Italian GP and suggesting their cars would go faster if more of the energy coming out of the megaphone exhausts were put to the wheels. The Vanwalls were then 1,2 and 3 on the grid and the fastest cars on the straight. And the least noisy.

When did the Lancia-Ferraris have that nose? They had extended snouts for the 1956 German GP, and Peter Collins car had a green band on the nose of his car. And I query the yellow stripe.

Off tpic, but is there any info in the great TNF world as to why the the 1957 cars were such dogs in the engine department compared to the '56 cars?

#36 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 20:08

Paul Taylor,

Your pix are excellant. Make up for not being able to be there.

#37 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 20:14

Thanks! :) Goodwood was my first proper chance to use a digital camera at a racing event, because I'd used a 30 year old Minolta camera at every race meeting I'd ever been to. :) Might have been difficult to get this shot with that old camera ;):

Posted Image

#38 Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor

• 1,312 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 20:17

Originally posted by Gary C
that's a very strange link, Paul !!

Why? Posted Image

#39 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 20:20

Originally posted by Paul Taylor
Thanks! :) Goodwood was my first proper chance to use a digital camera at a racing event, because I'd used a 30 year old Minolta camera at every race meeting I'd ever been to. :) Might have been difficult to get this shot with that old camera ;):

Posted Image

Where is pit-speed control button? :D

Advertisement

#40 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 20:33

Originally posted by RTH
John Brydon's replica of the Renault AK 90 CV 13 litre was supposed to debut - was it there ?

I assume it was there as I have a photo of the two of them side by side, plus the original, rediscovered engine.

RL

#41 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 21:02

Originally posted by johnwilliamdavies
[B]I have to admit to a slight disappointment this year. Maybe it was due to the clash with Le Mans but I didn't think there were that many great cars. And the Renault display was dire, also a lack of wow factor in the Style et Luxe (apart from the obvious exception), tacky infield with little of historic interest, and sand sculputres? what was the point of that? Sorry to moan, i'll probably be back again next year.

I'm sure I wasn't alone in harassing Martin Nott about the future of Motor Sport magazine.
]

Well, it pushed all my buttons, and then some. I was even taken by the modern F1 stuff on the track. I think we get spoilt for choice in the UK for top cars. It was all very nice and different.
The new bike racers and trhe rally cars all put on a super show, giving it stick through crossroads. Across the board the drivers rose to the occcasion IMHO, esp Mass in the 154 and de Cad in the Lancia Ferrari. cars in innapropriate surroundinsg, qv Indycars and the Petty-mobile all did well.

We are favoured to see the Honda bike collection, and the old Scott was a charm. It is all about our history.

The Style et Luxe had some good stuff, Skoda Monte Carlo (What? I hear) among others, the Siata, seen at the Revival, BMW 507, Kurtis, Rover P6 Turbine - just to see it, and I have fallen for the pretty little BNC sports.

The Indycars were brilliant, esp the MG Liquid Suspension Special remembered from my youth, as were those associated with them, shame one car was bumped.

The older cars were a treat, plus the V4 Maserati and RL, and the Delages, although I did not see the V12 with the bonnet open. The Alfa TZ2 and the Tipo 33/2 were gems. I could go on.

It worked for me. I regarded it as a very broad church collection to mark the centenary etc.

I took about 300 photos, like Paul's at 1.3Mb a time, so will need a bit of editing. I am happy to put a list of categories later if any one wants to hoist them, but I am more Bill Bailey than David Bailey.

I appreciate that there are many people who could not attend, so if pictures help, I am happy to oblige.

RL

PS I met Gordon Cruickshank by chance on Saturday. He gave me the impression that the new regime really does take note of the Forum, and is genuinely trying to move forward in a positive way. I believe him

#42 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 21:07

John's car was the one with the 'AK' prefix UK road registration plates - and the small 3-litre engine visible within the chicken-wire sided bonnet. Interestingly, the chassis he used had born this 'AK' reg. no. from new pre-WW1, as 'AK' was the local area Bradford registration - not bad for an intended Renault Type AK 90CV look-alike to be assembled 100 years later.

DCN

PS - Eric - I'm surprised you didn't say hello if you saw me trying to remove the evidence that I'd been running the car in the rain. Melissa Costin - daughter of the late Frank - came up and we had a fascinating chat about her father and his work - Melissa's husband worked as an Ilmor engineer from the company's foundation until their recent Mercedes-Benz uberhaul, of which he became a victim.

#43 JSF

JSF

• 678 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 21:44

If you have any of the March 717 it would be nice to see them Bradbury. :)

I enjoyed the event a great deal again, Goodwood do such a great job, even the security staff are incredibly helpful, they put some other perminant venues to shame in that respect.

One of the highlights of the event for me was talking with Bruno Senna as he sat in Ayrton's Lotus at the bottom of the hill, making racecar sounds as he talked about the experience of driving a Turbo F1 car, a very funny and genuinely enthusiastic guy.

#44 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 23:08

Here are my 717 pictures, enjoy!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#45 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 23:22

About Bruno Senna : you couldn't have said it better, what a great, amiable guy.

#46 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 00:15

Sound of the Lancia-Ferrari D50, warming up for Alain de Cadenet's ride (5,50Mb) :

Have an eargasm

#47 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:27

Shouldn't that be aurgasm? :D

#48 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:29

Thanks, Pedro, great stuff...I have some period audio recordings of the original car...very nice!

A couple of questions:

Is that the Seaman Delage Alain de Cadenet is in?

Are there entry lists or results for the FOS available anywhere on line?

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#49 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:50

Very nice Luc, how about this,

W154 warmup (2.2MB)

Anybody got any footage of the BRM?

BTW, where you talking to David Piper in the Cathedral Paddock on Saturday, about 2pm?

Richard

#50 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,623 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:36

Doug - sorry for not saying hello. I came over all shy (hard to believe, I know).

I did buy five copies of MFQ if that's any consolation!

If we ever have another Southern TNF meeting, I'll bring along the video footage.