Photo

'MotoRacing' & 'Motor Sports World' on-line

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 rlnorton

rlnorton

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 22:18

Over the last several years I've been scanning old racing periodicals and making pdf documents. These have been available on CD, and now I've found a web site where I can make these files available for free download. This will certainly be easier than burning and mailing the CDs!

Motor Sports World was published from 6/15/1951 through 11/14/1952. It covers a lot of different motor sports, but is mostly concerned with automobile racing. I especially enjoyed the coverage of Ferrari's 1952 effort at Indy, which I hadn't seen much of in other contemporary publications.

MotoRacing was a southern California tabloid that was published from 10/21/1955 through 1/17/1964. Its emphasis was on southern California racing, but there is also pretty good coverage of Indy and international racing.

Motor Sports World is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/72t6qudovc

MotoRacing is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/iboyi76hqk

This site does limit downloads to 50 GB per month, so if it is maxed out when you try, come back later.

I've been working on processing Competition Press for the last year, and I am putting this on-line as I complete it.

Competition Press is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/c5bdnu4srq

Another publication that I've been working on is the West Coast Sports Car Journal, which was the club publication for the California Sports Car Club (CSCC).

West Coast Sports Car Journal is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/khciz7244d

Let me know if you have any problems with this site.

Bob Norton

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:56

I can't believe nobody else has responded to this thread yet...Bob, you have done a wonderful service for many, many people...and it has been organized so well...I've been sitting here going "Wow...wow...wow..." I'm afraid my poor wife will not see me for weeks on end now! ("Just throw in some food and close the door!") Thanks again, Bob, it's great!

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C, Canada

#3 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:32

Wow ! Thank you for all that hard work to make this material available - fascinating stuff.

#4 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:57

Bob, this is awesome. Though my research mostly involves Europe, a randomly chosen Competition Press showed already something of interest to me. Thanks for all that work!

#5 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:57

Utterly exhausted last night I thought I'd risk a quick look at TNF before hitting the sack. Then I found Bob's post! If it's maxed out already that was probably down to me, I was still looking at stuff three hours later. Stupendous!!

#6 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:47

Just another comment to say that is SO useful - I'm still trying to decide whether to be responsible, or selfishly steal the bandwidth whilst it's available.

#7 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 14:54

Bob has done a lot of hard work to put these papers on the net. He deserves a very big hand from all interested in Motor racing history.

#8 feri

feri

• 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 19:01

Excellent work Bob, there are lots of great information in these magazines. Thank you !

#9 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 19:32

Great work Bob!

Allen

#10 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 16:39

:clap: Thank you very much for this Bob!

Very interesting reading. Much appreciated.

#11 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 13:00

I am glad to see magazines like the California Sports Car Club Journal is getting some recognition as I always thought it was a mine of information and brilliant photographs on Californian sports car racing. I also have a personal attachment as Jimmy Crow, the editor back in the late 1950's, asked me to write a European Column for it. Looking back at some of the copies it was hardly brilliant but Jimmy published the photos including "scoops" of Bruce McLaren trying out a Porsche F2 car at Goodwood and such like. Indeed in one of my early columns I told the readers to watch out for a young driver called Jimmy Clark and that was long before he came into Grands Prix.
I honestly think that there should be more windows opened to some of the superb motor club magazines that have been published over the years and wider circulation of invaluable information published within.

#12 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 13:36

Completely agree with you Graham. This was a fascinating period of racing and the club magazines are the best window we had as CP&A couldn't cover it all. We don't always realise how spoilt we are in Britain with Autosport and Motoring News.

Unfortunately, we are reliant on people like Bob who are willing to collect these magazines and also to scan and publish them. It's a fantastic job he's doing.

#13 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 15:37

Thank you, Bob!

Great work!
:)

#14 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 21:51

Bob, thanks for the work you've done in saving the 50s race information. You and Art Evans have certainly opened the past racing scene in California.

(I was lucky to receive your CD's from a very generous motorsport historian.)

The US and Canadian West Coast were closely related in the autosport history. There seemed to have been a funnel carrying drivers and cars up and down the Coast from Pebble Beach to Westwood during the 50s and thereafter.

Readers, pls support Bob in his valuable work.

Mike

#15 rl1856

rl1856

• 361 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 14:22

A big THANK YOU for the obvious effort involved in originally scanning and then putting these wonderfull resources up on the web.

For those unaware, MotoRacing was the first national exposure for one Henry N. Manney III. Most became aware of him through his work in Road & Track magazine. But MotoRacing was were he got his start.

Best,

Ross

#16 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 17:20

I can only echo everyone's praise of what Bob has done. I have truly treasured the MotoRacing CD's that I obtained from Bob in part because I never had a complete collection and in part because they are just that fascinating. I will admit that I have found "Motor Sports Word" quite interesting and delighted to be able to read them even from afar. Having the early years of CP on hand to read here in The Sandbox has also been wonderful. Although I probably have the first half-dozen or so years of CP memorized, just being able to look at them has been great fun.

Thank you so much, Bob! We truly appreciate your efforts.

:love: :clap: :up: :)

(...while and I normally don't do smilies, in this case I am willing to make an exception...)

#17 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 00:13

I'm long overdue in replying, but Bob, I can't thank you enough for your efforts. Truly outstanding :up:

Thank you for preserving this history and making it available for historians/researchers and just plain fans :clap:

#18 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:54

Excellent, thanks Bob.

#19 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:19

To update you on what happened to this fabulous resource after Bob's sad death last year, all the files are still available at the original URLs but I have arranged to make them available on OldRacingcars.com if Box.net stops hosting them.

At present, all the files are loaded onto ORC but I haven't publicised the URL as these huge files would be a considerable strain on my servers and it's not necessary while Box.net is still carrying that load. The important thing is that they all safe: MotoRacing 1955-64, Motor Sports World 1951-52, Competition Press 1958-70, SCCA National Newsletter 1952-58, SCCA Sports Car (just July 1961) and West Coast Sports Car Journal 1955-60.

Allen

Advertisement

#20 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:58

As usual, we owe thanks to Allen to thinking ahead. Thank you, Allen.

#21 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 13:09

Allen: I am sure Bob Norton would be very happy knowing all his hard work will still be kept for Motor Racing Historians to enjoy. Bob was a great guy and only wanted to share these great racing papers with fellow Racing Historians.

#22 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 18:19

Allen. Great news. Well done & thanks.

#23 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 20:01

Allen, thank you :up:

Wonderful news. Now, if there was just some way to preserve the Autoweek issues Bob had scanned and not yet put on line.

#24 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:08

Originally posted by Jim Thurman
Allen, thank you :up:

Wonderful news. Now, if there was just some way to preserve the Autoweek issues Bob had scanned and not yet put on line.

Are there any? Can we get hold of them?

#25 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:59

It is my understanding that Bob was working with someone else regarding the materials being placed on the site.

#26 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:08

Thanks Don

Does anyone have any contact details? We should try to get hold of these files while we have the chance.

#27 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 16:07

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Thanks Don

Does anyone have any contact details? We should try to get hold of these files while we have the chance.

I think that some of the materials Bob used belonged to Michael Lynch, but all the scanning and whatnot took place at Bob's house.

#28 teegeefla

teegeefla

• 316 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:39

I just tried the box.net site and its states that the user is out of bandwidth and nothing comes up.

#29 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:41

Yes, I've been getting that too for the past few days
I thought it might come right if I waited :

#30 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 16:26

Originally posted by teegeefla
I just tried the box.net site and its states that the user is out of bandwidth and nothing comes up.

Originally posted by rlnorton
This site does limit downloads to 50 GB per month, so if it is maxed out when you try, come back later.

#31 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 21:52

Status Check

Motor Sports World is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/72t6qudovc - reporting "This user is out of bandwidth"

MotoRacing is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/iboyi76hqk - reporting "This user is out of bandwidth"

Competition Press is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/c5bdnu4srq - reporting "This user is out of bandwidth"

West Coast Sports Car Journal is available at:
http://www.box.net/public/khciz7244d - reporting "This user is out of bandwidth"

I have emailed box.net support to see if the files will become available if we're patient. If not, I have all these files on ORC but I hope you will understand my reluctance to direct you there if it isn't necessary as these huge files will be a big drain on my bandwidth. To translate that into non-technical terms, it means ORC will go slower and the hosting will cost me more.

Allen

#32 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:56

I have emailed box.net support to see if the files will become available if we're patient. If not, I have all these files on ORC but I hope you will understand my reluctance to direct you there if it isn't necessary as these huge files will be a big drain on my bandwidth. To translate that into non-technical terms, it means ORC will go slower and the hosting will cost me more.

Allen [/B]

The box.net registration page says anyone can get 1GB for free...set up an account and you could upload your copies. When your bandwidth runs out, someone else opens an account and uploads their copies... (And I think there are other sites with similar services as box.net.) No need to use ORC bandwidth.

[Edit] At 1GB per account, it might mean setting a few accounts to get all of Bob's stuff back on-line. It took me a few CDs (5 or 6) to save his files.

#33 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:11

Sent: 10 December 2007 05:48
To: Allen Brown
Subject: Re: (Case 18486) Out of bandwidth message

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The bandwidth for this month has been used up, so you have to wait until the next month of bandwidth gets reset. The files will not be deleted from your Box.net account.

Please feel free to get back to us for any further assistance.

Sincerely,
The Box.net Team

#34 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 20:50

Sent: 10 December 2007 20:45

Hi,

As per record show, the account was registered using the email address ******* on the 24th of June 2006. The account is a Free Box.net 'Lite' account with 1GB storage space, 10MB file size limit and 10GB monthly bandwidth limit.

Bandwidth normally resets at the first of the month, but sometimes takes longer. If you find its being used up quickly, it might be due to the size of the files being shared as well as the number of users downloading it.

Feel free to email us if you have more questions.

Sincerely,
The Box.net team

#35 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 20:52

Could someone volunteer to keep trying it every couple of days - just one person please! Seppi_0_917PA?

I just had another message correcting the last one and saying that download limit is cleared on the 24th of each month. So it should work again on Christmas Day.

If it doesn't come back at any stage, I'll pursue the support team. 10Gb download should be plenty - not that many of us need these files.

Allen

#36 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:07

Could someone volunteer to keep trying it every couple of days - just one person please! Seppi_0_917PA?

Okay!

(btw I was puzzled because when I did a test (with Firefox) yesterday, the box.net error message was "User is not allowed to use direct links". I just did a test with Internet Explorer and this resulted with a "This user is out of bandwidth." message.)

#37 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:31

Just a thought but is everyone aware of Torrents? Basically you hold a copy of the PDF on your PC and via a programme like Bitcomet you make it available to others to download from your PC. Its configureable so that you can limit what files people can download (you choose the Torrents that you seed) and also you can determine how much of your bandwidth poeople get access to. If a few of us seeded the PDFs then a few more downloaded and seeded from them then there would not be a reliance on outside companys bandwidth. Its a very good way of sharing resources like this.

#38 Mark A

Mark A

• 1,173 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:14

How big are the files?

Basically my site is fairly dormant at the moment, may do something with it next year but at the moment it's not getting many hits.

So if they aren't huge and people are reasonable I can host some for a while.

EDIT, just had a quick look on box. each file is only 7MB.

Allen, if you pm me the link to vol 1 I'll zip up half the files and host each half for a month each. That should help get them out there.

#39 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 00:13

I just had another message correcting the last one and saying that download limit is cleared on the 24th of each month. So it should work again on Christmas Day.

Allen

Still getting the "This user is out of bandwidth" message when attempting to download Bob's files.

Advertisement

#40 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:41

I haven't posted in a while, but seeing this thread I thought to drop in and ask if it would be a good idea to mirror those files on 110MB.com? Their free account offers slightly less than 5GB space, and slightly less than 300GB monthly bandwidth (and I believe I have seen that an individual should have no more than 3 free accounts).

Hope it helps. :)

#41 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:36

Thanks for the suggestion Wolf but if we're going to move these files, I'd prefer to move them to somewhere we know we can trust. I haven't used 110Mb.com and a quick browse through their site doesn't fill me with confidence. Box.net won a WebWare 100 award in 2007 and are often mentioned on the web whereas I can't find much at all about 110Mb.com.

I've emailed Box.net support again and will be a little more firm with them this time. Maybe I was too polite before. Sorry if I'm being more patient than some of you may be inclined to be.

Allen

#42 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 13:49

Sent: 28 December 2007 13:49

Hello,

We are forwarding this our engineers, they will contact you shortly.

Please feel free to get back to us in case you need any further assistance.

Sincerely,
The Box.net Team

#43 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 00:11

Allen, I've sent you an e-mail.

Hopefully this does not mean Bob's account has expired. Couldn't someone pay the fee in his name or start their own account and host Bob's scans?

I also would be interested if anyone would be willing to host a few issue scans of a racing paper I've done.

#44 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 20:49

Jim, Bob had a free account so it shouldn't have expired.

#45 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 21:43

Free accounts are always expendable! :(

#46 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,277 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 21:55

Jim, Bob had a free account so it shouldn't have expired.

Strange, when I checked the Box.net site for possible sign-up, I'm only given an option of a 14 day free trial and then fee structure based on space.

#47 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 23:03

The 'Lite' plan looks free to me: http://www.box.net/info/pricing-plans

#48 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 23:08

Originally posted by fines
Free accounts are always expendable! :(

Quite a few of the so-called web2.0 sites offer a free base-level account, relying on people to upgrade once they try it and like it. Basecamp, Flickr and Skype are good examples. I would expect a 'Lite' Box.net account to keep working.

Allen

#49 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:49

Still "out of bandwidth" in 2008! :(

#50 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:50

After banging a few heads together at box.net, I've got a resolution. The files are now available again.

Allen