Photo

Ron Dykes' birthday

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:12

This should probably go in the birthdays thread, but...Steve Clark, Victoria-based historic racer, and I had lunch on Monday here in Victoria with Ron Dykes and partner Lois Krimm. It was Ron's birthday on Sunday, and he and Lois were in town Sunday and Monday from their home across Juan de Fuca Straight in Sequim, Washington. The birthdays thread had his birthdate as August 20, 1939, but I have since emailed him to confirm what was on the "Fact Sheet" he gave me. His response:

"Sad to say --- my birthdate is August 20, 1935 so I'm 71 years old! I still feel as if I'm in my thirties though."

Man, this guy has driven a lot of great cars...I remember seeing him drive the Maserati 300S and Birdcage...he gave me a lot of very nice pictures, including some of the Lola T160 with the Chrysler Hemi engine...

Jerry, I said hi to him for you...I gave him a printout of your greeting on the CanAm reunion thread.

He and Lois told about the incident testing at Buttonwillow a few years ago, in the Shadow F1 car, I believe. He was out on the track doing about 100 mph when someone in an FF approached from the other direction doing a similar speed...a dot suddenly became very large!..he said he fortunately swerved the right way to avoid disaster, but I think they said he had a broken wrist and leg? Lois, attending her first motor sport event, had to drive him to the hospital!

Ron hopes to run both his Shadow and Theodore F1 cars in Europe next year. As it happens, Steve Clark knows both Teddy Yip, Jr., who lives in Victoria, and Teddy, Jr's mother.

From left to right, Steve Clark, Ron Dykes, and I with Steve's race-prepped Cortina.

http://img181.images...dscf2755wp0.jpg

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C. Canada

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 17:27

Ron was very lucky in that accident! I saw the damaged car at Marc Bahner's shop when it was being repaired.

Happy Birthday Ron!

#3 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 23:43

Vince thanks for giving Ron my greetings and a Happy Birthday Ron. Vince you look slightly higher than Steve and Ron. Thanks for putting up the picture. Also tell Steve Clark to say hi to Beverly for me. She is a great person. That is Teddy Jr.'s mom. And she is alot of fun to be around.