Photo

How Do You Think Alonso Will React If Hamilton Is Easily Faster Than Him?

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#1 Lorran

Lorran

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 14:45

I'm sure that to 90% of this board such an outcome is ridiculous and beyond all bounds of possibility. However, I'm very curious as to how Alonso would react in such a situation.

I personally think that he would refuse to stay at McLaren for more than a few races. His ego seems like a fragile thing.

I doubt very much that he would suck it up and fall into a second driver role. :lol:

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 14:46

How do you think Alonso would react if the moon fell out of orbit in Interlagos and struck his car, thus handing Michael Schumacher the WC?

#3 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,784 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 14:51

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
How do you think Alonso would react if the moon fell out of orbit in Interlagos and struck his car, thus handing Michael Schumacher the WC?

:rotfl:

I would love to see that happen though. :p

#4 Kilomeister

Kilomeister

• 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 14:52

I agree with Ross - there's not much point debating this because it ain't gonna happen (at the very least not in the next few years, despite Hamilton's obvious potential).

It still amazes me that I seem to spend most of my time on this forum trying to convince people that Alonso actually is a special driver, rather than the journeyman that got lucky that some are claiming.

We are all F1 fans and from watching the races we should be able to spot quality when we see it.

#5 armonico

armonico

• 3,237 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 14:57

Originally posted by Lorran
I'm sure that to 90% of this board such an outcome is ridiculous and beyond all bounds of possibility. However, I'm very curious as to how Alonso would react in such a situation.

No, it's the opposite. There is 90% of this board thinking Hamilton is going to crush Alonso since race 1. Such as are the skills of this new superstar driver, who at the age of 21 hans't barely driven a F1 car so far (only a 4 test sessions, IIRC). BTW, Alonso debuted in F1 at 19 after a no so impressive F3000 results except the lat two-three races and Kimi similarly in the Suaber from Formula Renault, I think (Sorry not to remember Kimi details).

Why is taken so long for Hamilton to arrive in F1 if he is better than the current WDC in th eopinion of nearly 90% of this board? (BTW, I'm not saying he is not a good driver)

#6 Lorran

Lorran

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:12

Actually, after seeing Hamilton's long stint times in Jerez on his second day i'm sure that he will be easily faster than Alonso. Its going to be a huge shock to F1 and to innumerable people on this board.

His average over an eight lap stint (laps 47-55) was faster than anyone's INCLUDING SCHUMMY!

#7 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:16

Is Hamilton already confirmed for 2007?
If yes, I missed those news.

#8 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:18

Alonso would react just like Montoya did when Kimi showed he was generally quicker in all areas.....badly. He would start mind games and wheel banging antics until giving in or changing teams. Unfortunetly Alonso couldn't just impress us with his speed and consistency he spoilt it all with his bad attitude.
If it wasn't for that i'd think he was great, but he's not authentic on track whereas Kimi is, so I think now Michael has gone i'll start supporting Raikkonen.

#9 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 7,021 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:18

Originally posted by Lorran
Actually, after seeing Hamilton's long stint times in Jerez on his second day i'm sure that he will be easily faster than Alonso. Its going to be a huge shock to F1 and to innumerable people on this board.

His average over an eight lap stint (laps 47-55) was faster than anyone's INCLUDING SCHUMMY!

So based on one stint in testing you think he is better than Fernando?

Based on this Ant is the best driver ever.

Alonso is better than Schumacher so you must think, based on this test, that Hamilton will be the best ever to drive in F1, all this without Hamilton actually driving in F1. :stoned:

#10 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,653 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:27

Originally posted by armonico

Why is taken so long for Hamilton to arrive in F1 if he is better than the current WDC in th eopinion of nearly 90% of this board? (BTW, I'm not saying he is not a good driver)

Because he's been contracted to Ron who wanted to give him a good grounding, and thought that best out of F1 than with some other team. He still wouldn't place him with another team now it seems (That Spyker won't be his).

Alonso would react by claiming he was all alone. And moving to Toyota. Won't happen, but I do expect LH to be closer to FA than many think. Qualifying right with him, and losing only a little over the race. He will be better than GF by season's end, on a comparion of ratio FA:GF points and FA:LH points, and if not, then certainly for the second half of the season that will be true.

#11 Lorran

Lorran

• 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:28

Actually, Davidson's times in long stints were never faster than everyone else's.

Moreover, what is more remarkable is that jerez was new to Hamilton and he had clocked less than 1000 Kilo's in the car. this means that with practise and familiarisation he should be considerably faster.

Hamilton's confirmation at McLaren is inevitable.

#12 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:34

When TC will be removed, some drivers should have bigger upper hand from their teammates than nowadays.

Next year? Its very unlikely that Hamilton would dominate Alonso because of experience difference. But Hamilton should be faster in some cases just like Nico against Webber.

Of course there will be rough-and-tumble if Alonso finds that he is the sponsor money boy and Hamilton is number 1. driver of the team.

Is Hamilton already confirmed for 2007?

Turun Sanomat and some Brazil media says that contract is already made.

#13 dde

dde

• 800 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:50

Originally posted by le chat noir

Because he's been contracted to Ron who wanted to give him a good grounding, and thought that best out of F1 than with some other team. He still wouldn't place him with another team now it seems (That Spyker won't be his).

Alonso would react by claiming he was all alone. And moving to Toyota. Won't happen, but I do expect LH to be closer to FA than many think. Qualifying right with him, and losing only a little over the race. He will be better than GF by season's end, on a comparion of ratio FA:GF points and FA:LH points, and if not, then certainly for the second half of the season that will be true.

Being better than Fisichella these 2 last years won't be very difficult, even for a rookie.

#14 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 15:53

If Hamilton really would be faster than Alonso - what I doubt - Alonso simply would dig deeper to beat his rookie teammate.

Clear as glass.

#15 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 16:00

Originally posted by jokuvaan

Next year? Its very unlikely that Hamilton would dominate Alonso because of experience difference. But Hamilton should be faster in some cases just like Nico against Webber.

Personally I will think it will reflect badly on FA if LH is even once faster in qualifying, let alone in the races, under normal circumstances. LH will be a rookie, no matter how talented. If FA is to be considered in the same category as AS, AP, or even MS and MH, LH must not beat him at any time during quali or races under normal circumstances. I mean just remember MS and MH vs. MB, and MB wasn't a rookie, nor was he not talented.

Also, it will be interesting to see Arrow's reaction if LH is even once quicker without excuses, because I seem to recall that according to him it was very embarrassing for DC to be outpaced even once by KR in 2002. (He may have changed his mind since then, but at the time he showed DC no mercy.) Supposedly that showed just how worthless DC is. So will FA be worthless in such a case according to Arrow?

#16 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 16:45

He will cry. He will say to Ron: "Please, make him go away!"
Then he will start wearing womens clothing.

I am not sure, but tha is how I believe he will react. Or maybe he buys a gun? Now when I think of it, there is so many different ways he can react... :confused:

#17 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 16:46

I think it's a bit out there to suggest he'd quit the team after a couple of races ... it's been a while since anyone did that and I think it would be a nail in the coffin for their career these days. I don't think team bosses would take on someone, even a WDC on a race by race contract anymore.

#18 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:04

he would go back to minardi and with the good money earned at mercedes sign camilton and button as drivers.
he and marques would go to the pit wall everytime those cars finish the line in 11th.

#19 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:07

Originally posted by HSJ

Personally I will think it will reflect badly on FA if LH is even once faster in qualifying, let alone in the races, under normal circumstances. LH will be a rookie, no matter how talented. If FA is to be considered in the same category as AS, AP, or even MS and MH, LH must not beat him at any time during quali or races under normal circumstances. I mean just remember MS and MH vs. MB, and MB wasn't a rookie, nor was he not talented.

Also, it will be interesting to see Arrow's reaction if LH is even once quicker without excuses, because I seem to recall that according to him it was very embarrassing for DC to be outpaced even once by KR in 2002. (He may have changed his mind since then, but at the time he showed DC no mercy.) Supposedly that showed just how worthless DC is. So will FA be worthless in such a case according to Arrow?

FA LH LH FA AS, AP, MS MH, LH MS MH MB, MB LH DC KR i DC DC FA

Advertisement

#20 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:15

Given it will be two new drivers for the team, no Pay Symonds and Renault engineering way of doing things, it might be interesting if the mclaren car isn't working as well for Alonso' style for example, we all saw what happened with Trulli shading Alonso up until Monaco 2004. Might happen again. Mclaren in the past sometimes had a habbit of having a car sometimes working for one driver and not the other. It may only be a little difference, but that can mean the difference between tenths, I have no doubt it could be close, but it only takes sometimes a specific winter design to make things harder for a driver. Perhaps.

Hamilton arrives with alot of hype, but that's f1, everyone expecting something. Could be a decent teambattle, but perhaps not to begin with.

#21 sputnik

sputnik

• 461 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:25

Hahaha....

#22 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:25

Vettel has proved that transition to F1 is not that hard. There is a reasonable chance that Hamilton can give Alonso a run for his money. So what? Alonso is a proven entity, if Hamilton is faster it will make him the new king, but it would not make Alonso the Joker. It will be more difficult for Kimi if Massa beats him.

#23 Ural

Ural

• 462 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:29

He will try harder and go faster than Lewis ever before! To be honest I assume FA will dominate LH most of the time. But Lewis is coming better all the time and one day it could a different story.

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,763 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:31

He will secretly bribe one of the mechanics to remove the wheelnuts from Hamilton's car and replace them with wax imitations.

#25 jb_128

jb_128

• 311 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:38

Posted Image

#26 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:39

If Hamilton is good driver, I certainly expect him to beat FA every once in a while in both qual and race.

I think most people have wrong impression about FAs "superiority", that is based mostly on last two years.

First, Renault is always braging how they are getting the job done with less money than their rivals. True, but whatever that "less money" does harm to them, it does for the #2 car, not Alonsos car. so it makes easier for FA to shine against team mate. BTW this is very much like it was with Briatores team in mid 90´s, of course MS was faster than Herbert on his own, but the gap was just too big to be real, I mean Herbert was often something like 1-1,5 sec slower than MS in quals, nobody is that much slower if the treatment is anywhere near equalish. When MS moved to Ferrari he was still faster than EI or RB but never with such an margin he had over JH. Thats just the way Flavio runs his busines, its very effective, but it doesnt give a true picture of drivers. Next year Alonso wont have that "Briatore extra" gap to his team mate.

Second, Fisi is not a top driver. Period. If Hamilton turns out to be one, then even in his first year he should be a. able to outqual and outrace FA 4-5 times. b. close to FA another 4-5 times.
08 should be a whole different story IF he is really good, which remains to be seen.

#27 armonico

armonico

• 3,237 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:46

Originally posted by le chat noir

On your first point, it is not good for a driver to have been groomed and taken care of in the best possible teams during all his racing career. You learn more when you suffer problems than when you are always driving for the best teams. That also overrates the skills.

On your second point, that is only your opinion and wishful thinking based on nearly nothing (3-4 session tests) since Hamilton has never driven a F1 car in race conditions, so we don't know how he will perform.

#28 crompton

crompton

• 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:57

Yet another strange but amusing thread. :wave:

I do not seriously expect Lewis to be 'easily' faster than Alonso anytime soon. If it did happen (but it won't) then it would take quite some time for Alonso to be effected by it. Mind Games would then ensue.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 17:59

Originally posted by jb_128
Posted Image

Its a man walking, with a plate of food being handed to him?

#30 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:05

Lewis will be as fast or faster than Alonso. It's all logic really.
Lewis is in the car now and he has been testing and will be testing his car long before Alonso gets there. Which means he will be used to the team and will know the car inside out. Alonso on the other hand will most likely not be released from Renault until the last second as all teams do these days to hinder the driver leaving for a new team. So Lewis will have a slight upper hand over Alonso. Only because he is there already.

#31 armonico

armonico

• 3,237 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:06

Originally posted by yr

I think most people have wrong impression about FAs "superiority", that is based mostly on last two years.

Some people got the right impression on Alonso in his first year in F1 in Minardi, others did not. He has improved since then and the last two years has just confirmed it when Alonso got a much better and competitive package.

#32 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:16

You learn more when you suffer problems than when you are always driving for the best teams. That also overrates the skills.

Sure. You learn more abouyt how to handle problems. How to get the most out of a shitty car. Things you do not need to worry about in a top team since there is other people that handles those things. If you are used to driving a car that is able to go on the limit of what is possible for that car type, you will learn more about actually being fast than if you manage to wring out a few extra tenths out of a car that is 3 seconds off pace. The risk that you develop bad driving habits are bigger if you are driving a car that does not respond properly.

All experience is good, but experience working with the elite is much more worth than working with amatuers. That is the whole point of supporting a driver from his junior years.

#33 Fausta

Fausta

• 397 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:16

Originally posted by Ivan
Lewis will be as fast or faster than Alonso. It's all logic really.
Lewis is in the car now and he has been testing and will be testing his car long before Alonso gets there. Which means he will be used to the team and will know the car inside out. Alonso on the other hand will most likely not be released from Renault until the last second as all teams do these days to hinder the driver leaving for a new team. So Lewis will have a slight upper hand over Alonso. Only because he is there already.

So now we should start a new thread talking about how Massa is going to be faster than Kimi at Ferrari, as it seems guaranteed based on the logic shown on this thread

#34 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:17

Its a man walking, with a plate of food being handed to him?

walking men can´t have a taste. :(

#35 inaki

inaki

• 2,422 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:21

Originally posted by HSJ

This is nonsense. I think that everybody has the right to be faster once in a while in a specific circumstance and it is not the end of the world.

#36 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:23

Originally posted by yr

Second, Fisi is not a top driver. Period..

How isnt he when he easily beat all the team mates he ever had for a long period of time until he met Alonso? If Fisi isnt a top driver who do you think is?
In your mind, any driver that ALonso spanks will suddenly not be a top driver. You guys used the same mentality with Michaels team mates.

#37 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:24

Originally posted by Arrow

How isnt he when he easily beat all the team mates he ever had for a long period of time until he met Alonso? If Fisi isnt a top driver who do you think it?

Alonso?

#38 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:25

Originally posted by Hiatt

Alonso?

Who else Just Kimi and Alonso? Two top driver in F1 only? :lol:

#39 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:27

Who else Just Kimi and Alonso? Two top driver in F1 only? :lol:

How many do you want? 22?

Advertisement

#40 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:29

How many do you want? 22?

Seems like your getting your terminology mixed up. Guys like Alonso and Kimi are exceptional drivers not just 'top drivers'. In the history of the sport there have always been the rare special drivers, but that doesnt mean everyone else is crap.
Fisi outclassed every team mate he ever had from 97-2004 so he proved to be a top driver. You cant just label him crap to suit your corrupt agendas.

#41 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:35

Some people got the right impression on Alonso in his first year in F1 in Minardi, others did not. He has improved since then and the last two years has just confirmed it when Alonso got a much better and competitive package.

Every driver has "some people" who are impressed after their first outing... we have all heard how Verstappen is great, havent we?

But as opposite to "some people", there is "most people" who thinks after two years in team-Flavio Fernando is superior to anyone. Unfortenately, that is not the case.

#42 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,390 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:37

You guys used the same mentality with Michaels team mates.

And how was anyone wrong? Barrichello's been closer to Button . . . but these days not very.

#43 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:39

Seems like your getting your terminology mixed up. Guys like Alonso and Kimi are exceptional drivers not just 'top drivers'. In the history of the sport there have always been the rare special drivers, but that doesnt mean everyone else is crap.
Fisi outclassed every team mate he ever had from 97-2004 so he proved to be a top driver. You cant just label him crap to suit your corrupt agendas.

There is only two types of drivers, "top" and "crap", in your world? If so, I can understand that you want to call Fisi a top driver.
Schumi, Alonso and Kimi are "over the top"?

#44 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:40

How isnt he when he easily beat all the team mates he ever had for a long period of time until he met Alonso? If Fisi isnt a top driver who do you think is?
In your mind, any driver that ALonso spanks will suddenly not be a top driver. You guys used the same mentality with Michaels team mates.

He beat rookies.

I am tempted to think also that GF performes better (relatively) in midfield team than he does in top team. He really doesnt seem to be up to the task when it comes fighting in sharp end of the grid.

#45 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:57

Originally posted by Ricardo F1

And how was anyone wrong? Barrichello's been closer to Button . . . but these days not very.

Irvine and Rubens were and are 'top drivers', so you were very wrong.

#46 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:59

There is only two types of drivers, "top" and "crap", in your world? If so, I can understand that you want to call Fisi a top driver.
Schumi, Alonso and Kimi are "over the top"?

There are many good drivers, top drivers or whatever you want to call them. Normal drivers who are good enough to do a good job. Then there are crap drivers, and then a few rare special drivers.
Its always been like that. You must be new to F1.

#47 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 18:59

Originally posted by yr

He beat rookies.

I am tempted to think also that GF performes better (relatively) in midfield team than he does in top team. He really doesnt seem to be up to the task when it comes fighting in sharp end of the grid.

Wurz wasnt a rookie, neither was Button, or Massa.

#48 Hiatt

Hiatt

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 19:08

There are many good drivers, top drivers or whatever you want to call them. Normal drivers who are good enough to do a good job. Then there are crap drivers, and then a few rare special drivers.
Its always been like that. You must be new to F1.

Hehe, what the **** does my F1 experience have to do with the definition of "top"?

#49 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 19:16

Wurz wasnt a rookie, neither was Button, or Massa.

Well, with Wurtz it was about as equal as two drivers can be, with very slight edge for Fisi, that should be quite telling.

Button had one year experience with Williams, then he jumped in a new team which had a very poor car and it was also very difficult to set up (which means, you needed experience to be able to find even decent set up), it didnt help Button either that it was said that back then he was more interested in buying yachts and living playboy life than concentrating on his driving (which he admitted later).

Massa lacked technical skills before he went to Ferrari, he said in recent interview that he has learned a lot of setting up the car during his time at Ferrari and he also said it really did hamper him in his previous teams.

#50 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 19:38

Originally posted by yr

Well, with Wurtz it was about as equal as two drivers can be, with very slight edge for Fisi, that should be quite telling.

He dominated Wurz. Why do you think Wurz became a tester driver for so many years?