Chuck Parsons

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:32

Posted Image
I would like to start a thread on Chuck Parsons. Chuck passed away of a brain Aneurysm some time ago. Chuck raced in the USRRC and the CanAm and drove some great cars. I think the forum members are going to enjoy seeing them. This picture is Chuck Parsons and Lothar Motschenbacher at Elkhart Lake in 1967. Peyton Cramer with them. Chuck Parsons was born February 6, 1924 in Bruin, Kentucky. I believe he passed away January 3, 1999. He was married to his lovely wife Sherry and had 3 children from an eariler marriage.He lived in the Carmel area of California. Chuck was also an avid pilot and had his own plane for many years. His first race car was a Austin-Healey. He won the 1963 USRRC race at Laguna Seca in a Lotus 23B. He won many races and was a great friend. He also was the 1966 USRRC Champion. Chuck's best CanAm finish was a fine 2nd at Riverside in 1969.
photo lent site by Tom Schultz- copyright 2006 Tom Schultz.
research by Willem Oosthoek

Edited by Jerry Entin, 20 September 2011 - 19:56.

Advertisement

#2 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:20

:wave: Comparing with the other US/Can-Am threads this on must become as interesting Jerry.
So good to read about the "others".

Regards Bjørn

#3 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:12

Chuck Parsons was an unappreciated talent. Best known as the 1966 USRRC Champion. Raced a variety of cars out of the west coast in a variety of series, mainly in the 1960s. Several important wins included:

-1963 Laguna Seca USRRC in a Lotus 23. A stunning win over all the big boys in the little 1.6 23.
-1966 Road America 500 in McLaren M1B. Drove solo for 500 miles and clinched title.
-1966 Kent Pacific Raceways Northwest GP in the same McLaren.
-1967 Road America 500 in Carl Haas McLaren M1C co-driving with Skip Scott. Also drove second place car with Jerry Hansen.
-1968 Road America 500 in Carl Haas Lola T-70 again co-driving with Skip Scott.
-1969 Daytona 24 Hours in Penske Lola T-76 co-driving with Mark Donohue.

Drove a large variety of cars, including Lotus-Ferrari, Maserati T-61, Cobra, Genie Mk. X, McLarens as mentioned above, Lola T-70, Lola T-160, Lola T-163, McLaren M8E.

Drove for a variety of car owners including Randy Hilton, Carl Haas, Doug Shierson, Bill Overhauser, and Lothar Motschenbacher.

You pick it up from here and I'll chime in with comments if something strikes my mind.

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:14

Posted Image
Here is Chuck Parsons in the #10 Birdcage following Chuck Daigh. And thank you RA Historian for explaining who Chuck Parsons was. I hope to also put up some of your great photos of Chuck soon. Ex Jim Hall car above. Chuck won races in Reno, Nevada in this car at Stead Air Force Base and Vacaville, California.
I thought it fitting to get this thread started by borrowing one of Tam McPartland's photos.
Tam has a great site www.tamsoldracecarsite.net above photo by Tam McPartland-copyright 2003 Tam McPartland
Posted Image
Chuck winning at Vacaville in Birdcage.
photo lent site by Ike Smith

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:17

Did he have Polio or some sort of leg injury as a child?

#6 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:19

Like the photo. As usual, Tam has great stuff!

Chuck is driving a Tipo 61 that he had purchased from Jim Hall, 2463 I believe. He won a lot of races in California in the 1961-62 era in this car. I believe it currently is owned by Rob Walton.

Chuck Daigh is in the Scarab, painted an uncharacteristic red-orange. It was owned by Skip Lehmann at this time. It is chassis 003, and currently is in the Collier Museum.

#7 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 13:20

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Did he have Polio or some sort of leg injury as a child?

Must have, I remember Parsons walking with a pronounced limp.

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 15:36

Posted Image
Here is a great picture of Chuck Parsons from 1971 at Mid Ohio.
Besides being a great driver and mentor. Chuck was also the Team manager for the Carl Haas CanAm effort in the early years. Gil Munz and Ike Smith were with Charlie for many years. Peter Bryant and Colin Riley were also team members. Chuck finished 5th in this race. In 1971 he finished 4th at St. Jovite and 8th at Edmonton and 5th at Riverside in the CanAm. This car belonged to Bill Overhauser. Chuck was 8th in the CanAm series in overall points and his last race was in 1972. He had 145 points for his CanAm races total. This was for the entire CanAm series.
photo lent site Rob Neuzel-copyright 2003 Rob Neuzel

#9 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 15:58

Posted Image
Here is Chuck Parsons Lola heading to Edmonton for the coming CanAm Race. Simoniz the sponsor is an American car wax Company. This was the Carl Haas CanAm effort with Colin Riley in the door and Gil Munz in the middle and Ike Smith at the back. In 1969 Chuck finished 12th at the Edmonton CanAm. He finished 2nd at Riverside and 3rd at Road America and Laguna Seca and 5th at Texas.
photo lent to site by Ike Smith

#10 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 16:38

Originally posted by RA Historian
Chuck Parsons...
...drove a large variety of cars, including Lotus-Ferrari...

Tell me more! What type of Lotus was this? I am sure I came across Ed Hugus entered at Nassau in such a beast but I'm not sure if it was the Rosebud 19 or something else...

Funnily enough, I had to smile the other day when I was browsing the Competition Week classifieds (as one does...!) from 1965 and found the following in the February 13th edition:

Posted Image

and then, only four months later, in the June 19th edition:

Posted Image

Presumably, this is what four months of racing a Lotus 30 did to your confidence!!!

Happily, he seems to have had a change of mind at some point and carried on racing...

#11 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 16:49

Michael it wasn't the Lotus 30 he won Monterey in. It was a 1963 Lotus 23B. The Lotus 30 came later in 1965 I believe and he also had a Genie/Chevy he had bought off the Mecom Team and a McLaren Mk2 or as some call them 1B. In 1966 Chuck Parsons was the USRRC Champion. He also didn't quit racing after selling the Lotus 30. In 1961 Chuck was injured badly at Sebring and took a year off racing. He also drove for the Rose Bud Team of Texas in Formula cars and drove a Cobra in the USRRC manufactuers series.
research Willem Oosthoek.
Posted Image
Chuck Parsons at Elkhart Lake 500 in 1968. Chuck Parsons and Skip Scott won this race. Carl Haas Team car. Prepared by Ike Smith and Gil Munz
photo by Tom Schultz- copyright 2005 Tom Schultz

#12 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 17:43

Originally posted by Jerry Entin
Posted Image
I would like to start a thread on Chuck Parsons. Chuck passed away of a brain Aneurysm some time ago. Chuck raced in the USRRC and the CanAm and drove some great cars. I think the forum members are going to enjoy seeing them. This picture is Chuck Parsons and Lothar Motschenbacher at Elkhart Lake in 1967. Peyton Cramer with them. Chuck Parsons was born February 6, 1924 in Bruin, Kentucky. He was married to his lovely wife Sherry and had 3 children and lived in the Carmel area of California.His first race car was a Austin-Healey. He won the 1963 USRRC race at Laguna Seca in a Lotus 23B. He won many races and was a great friend.
photo lent site by Tom Schultz- copyright 2006 Tom Schultz.
researh by Willem Oosthoek

You say that Chuck PARSONS was dead, I'm surprise because I never see this info in french magazine...
Can you give me his death date and place please ?

many thanks.

#13 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 17:43

Chuck Parsons was a very popular visitor a number of times to the Westwood track here in B.C. in Lotus 23, Cobra, and Genie. He won a fall pro race in 1965 in the Genie, which Adrian Ratcliff has and is now restoring to Parsons livery here in B.C.
The Lotus-Ferrari was an ex-Kunstle 2-litre Ferrari powered Lotus 15. Chuck sold it to Gordie Glyer, who couldn't quite shoehorn his 3-litre Testa Rossa engine into it, and sold it to, I believe, someone named Sutton who ran it at Bonneville. Any more info on the history and whereabouts of that car would be appreciated.
Chuck sold the Lotus 30 to Bob McLean, who was going to race it, but was sadly killed at Sebring in 1966.

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 18:01

Early years:
1958 Austin-Healey
1959 Lotus-Ferrari
1960 Lotus-Ferrari
1961 Ferrari 250TR and Maserati T61
1962 Formula Junior
1963 Lotus-Porsche 23
1964 Lotus 23
1965 Genie-Chevrolet

#15 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 19:02

Was the Lotus-Ferrari a Monte Carlo XIX? From memory I seem to recall that Innes Ireland drove one later and crashed it in 1962 or '63 (was it Rosebud?)

#16 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 20:58

I am surprized no one has mentioned Chuck winning Daytona with Donahue.

#17 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:27

Posted Image
Chuck Parsons and his beloved wife Sherry.
From: Fern Shierson wife of the late Doug Shierson whom Chuck Parsons drove for:
"Chuck Parsons was one of the kindest most gentle men who I have ever met. He and Sherry had a wonderful love affair."
Posted Image
Doug Shierson Lola. Doug Shierson Racing. Doug is on the left . In red shirt. Jim Harrell on right-head mechanic for Doug.
photo by Gil Munz

#18 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:46

Michael it wasn't the Lotus 30 he won Monterey in. It was a 1963 Lotus 23B. The Lotus 30 came later in 1965 I believe and he also had a Genie/Chevy he had bought off the Mecom Team and a McLaren Mk2 or as some call them 1B. In 1966 Chuck Parsons was the USRRC Champion. He also didn't quit racing after selling the Lotus 30. In 1961 Chuck was injured badly at Sebring and took a year off racing. He also drove for the Rose Bud Team of Texas in Formula cars and drove a Cobra in the USRRC manufactuers series.
research Willem Oosthoek.

Jerry

Not quite sure how you interpreted my post as saying that he won Monterey in the Lotus 30?

Nor did I say that he quit racing after selling the Lotus 30...see my last line about him carrying on racing!

I was merely highlighting (what I thought) was the humour in the suggestion that a few months of racing a Lotus 30 in the early part of 1965 had led him to thoughts of quitting racing...

Paul: that's what caught my attention as I am aware of the Team Rosebud Lotus-Ferrari and wondered if Chuck had any connection with it but Vince H has answered this, it was a Lotus 15.

Bob: Apologies for being pedantic but it is Donohue not Donahue. But don't worry, you are in good company - I spelt Regazzoni's name as Reggazoni all the way though my Lotus 72 book and did not realise until it was too late so now it is there for ever! I guess you mean the 1969 Daytona 24 hours in the Sunoco Penske T70? Quite an achievement, for they finished 30 laps ahead of the next car running, after all the big-hitting Porsches and GT40s had fallen by the wayside.

#19 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 21:53

Originally posted by RA Historian
Chuck Parsons was an unappreciated talent. Best known as the 1966 USRRC Champion. Raced a variety of cars out of the west coast in a variety of series, mainly in the 1960s. Several important wins included:

You pick it up from here and I'll chime in with comments if something strikes my mind.

I read lots about his racing, but did he race in Europe at all? I cannot recall.

What car did he win Daytona with Donohue in? :confused:

Advertisement

#20 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,590 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 22:00

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
Quite an achievement, for they finished 30 laps ahead of the next car running, after all the big-hitting Porsches and GT40s had fallen by the wayside.

Especially as Parsons was flown in only at the last minute to replace Ronnie Bucknum, who was suffering with a broken finger.

Sterling, it was the Penske Sunoco Lola T70 (as mentioned in Michael's post above :p )

#21 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 22:06

Haine

I received this in an email from Bill Colson on November 15, 2001, after he had phoned Ed Leslie..." I asked him about Chuck Parsons and he said he had heard Parsons had been at UCLA Medical Centre with a brain aneurism, and didn't know whether or not Parsons had survived..."

David

I don't remember him in a Lotus-Porsche 23

Vince H.

#22 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 22:18

Michael I wasn't responding to anything you said about Chuck quitting. The ad in Autoweek said they were quitting racing. Chuck meant that particular Team. In his later years Chuck Parsons worked for Don Wester of SeaSide, California selling cars. Chuck had a very rough life with his wife Sherry. She was a beautiful person and suffered from Parkinson's disease. A very devastating situation. And Vince no one said Chuck drove a Porsche powered Lotus 23 . It was a 1.6 Twin Cam car. George Follmer had the Porsche powered Lotus 23. And Sterling 49: Chuck did race in Europe. In 1967 he co-drove a NART Ferrai 265P2 at LeMans with Richard Rodriguez #26 and they were a DNF. Richard Rodriguez was an American and not related to the Rodriguez brothers Ricardo and Pedro. In 1970 he co-drove a NART Ferrari 312P at LeMans #57 with Tony Adamowicz and they finished 10th.
Posted Image
Here is the Ferrari that Chuck Parsons and Tony Adamowicz drove to 10th overall at LeMans. As it looks today. It is currently owned by Pete Sachs of Stamford,Ct.

#23 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 22:55

Michael I wasn't responding to anything you said about Chuck quitting. The ad in Autoweek said they were quitting racing. Chuck meant that particular Team. In his later years Chuck Parsons worked for Don Wester of SeaSide, California selling cars. Chuck had a very rough life with his wife Sherry. She was a beautiful person and suffered from Parkinsons disease. A very devastating situation. And Vince no one said Chuck drove a Porsche powered Lotus 23 . It was a 1.6 Twin Cam car. George Follmer had the Porsche powered Lotus 23. And Sterling Chuck did race in Europe. In 1967 He co drove a NART Ferrai Dino with Richard Rodriguez #26 and they were a DNF. In 1970 he co drove a NART Ferrari 312P #57 with Tony Adamowicz and they finished 10th. And Sterling I really enjoy the photos you have posted.
research Willem Oosthoek

Sad to hear about his wife's illness and his own, make us all think about our mortality.
Thanks for filling in the blanks for me. NART, rolls back the years, the glorious days of Essex Wire, Holman & Moody, Shelby, Sunoco, without being flippant, excuse me while a clean my rose coloured specs.......halcyon days, good music and great cars :clap:

#24 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 23:30

Originally posted by Haine Kane

You say that Chuck PARSONS was dead, I'm surprise because I never see this info in french magazine...
Can you give me his death date and place please ?

many thanks.

Haine,

according to the SSDI, the 3rd January 1999, Walnut, Los Angeles, California.

:confused: But there's a mention about 2001 elsewhere in the thread?

#25 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 00:19

Richie

I just quoted what Bill said on his email in 2001...maybe Ed hadn't heard...though that would seem strange.

Vince H.

#26 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:31

Some nice photos of Chuck at Tony Adamowicz' site, as here:

http://www.a2zracer.com/page36.html

Vince H.

#27 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:35

...and on this page

http://www.a2zracer.com/page30.html

it says:

"...Chuck was born with a defective hip, which caused him to walk with a pronounced limp..."

Vince H.

#28 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:56

Originally posted by Bob Riebe
I am surprized no one has mentioned Chuck winning Daytona with Donahue.

Of course. How silly of me to overlook it! As mentioned, the Penske entered Lola T-76 coupe was to be driven by Mark Donohue and Ron Bucknum, but Ronnie was injured and Chuck called in at the last moment. They went on to score a magnificent victory. I have added it to my earlier mention of significant wins.

#29 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,010 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:35

Chuck Parsons was one of the few drivers I paid a little extra attention to way back when.

I also remember, I think, he had a couple of good dices with Andretti in the big Boss Ford Can-Am car, of which he won both.

#30 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:37

Vince: I hate to correct what they are saying on Tony Adamowicz's site. But, here is why Charlie Parsons Limped. This is according to Ike Smith. Charlie was living in Kentucky. When he was 5 he fell off a car shattering his hip. There were no doctors nearby and they didn't know how badly he had hurt himself. His hip was allowed to heal shattered. In 1957 Charlie went to the Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto, California to have 2 inches taken off his left Femur to level him out. He wore special elevator shoes for this condition as a boy growing up. His nickname by his family was Junior. His Family came to the Mid Ohio USRRC race in 1967 to watch him. They couldn't believe Junior made a living as a race driver. Chuck finished 7th in that race driving a McLaren. His brother was over 6 feet tall. Chuck had moved to Southern California in his later years so his youngest daughter Linda could help him. Chuck lost his beloved wife Sherry in 1985. In his later years Chuck was aided by Carl and Bernie Haas. They helped with his medical expenses and were very nice to him.
Posted Image
Here is Chuck Parsons driving for Lothar Motschenbacher at Riverside. Jonesy along side helping Chuck. This is 1971 and Chuck finished 5th. Lothar remembers flying to Catalina for lunch on their plane with Chuck and Sherry and what a great time was always had when you were in their company. Marilyn, Lothar's wife and Sherry were also very good friends. Lothar met Chuck when he was driving the black #10 Lotus 22 formula Junior for Marv Webster. That was in 1963. They remained friends for the next 30 years. Lothar always enjoyed Chuck at the races and socially. When it was time to put someone in his second car. Chuck was the first person he thought of. He really enjoyed being around Chuck and Sherry Parsons. They were great people.
photo by Curt Anderson

#31 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:00

I always liked reading of Chuck's drives. I first became aware of him as he figured prominently on the cover of an issue of CP & Autoweek featuring the 1965 Laguna Seca Fall Season Pro races which pre-dated the CanAm series. There was Chuck's Genie utterly sideways in a spin just moments after the start. Can't recall how he got into that mess but seem to recall from the body of the piece that he tried a spoiler on the back on his Genie and was most impressed by the extra adhesion it gave.

My chief remembrance of him is the 1969 CanAm at Mosport where he drove the Lola 162/163 with big-bore Chevy power. As I recall, he qualified quite well up...in truth, the grid quality was a tad spotty. There must have been rain threatening since his car was fitted with rain tires just prior to the start and when the crew...Hass?...went to change over to dry weather rubber, apparently the wheel nut stripped and they couldn't remove one rear tire. With only moments to go for the start, the decision was made to put wets all round and hope for the best.

The start was tres exciting for those first few laps and I so clearly remember John Cordts in his out-classed Mk 3 McLaren...M1C, if you insist...getting by Chuck for P4 in the early going as Chuck struggled with the wrong tires. Had me and the party I was with standing and cheering Cordts on in a wild frenzy. Soon, tho, Chuck took over the spot and settled down to pull away nicely from Cordts. The Bruce and Denny Show wound out the race as per usual but it was indeed satisfying to see our local boy Cordts running so well in P5. But wait! With only a couple of laps to go, here comes Chuck through the esses with a flat LR tire. Those rain tires have had enough torture over the full race distance...actually, it's surprising that they lasted as long as they did. He starts his final lap. Cordts is well behind at this point but is there a chance? No, surely. The final lap and we wait anxiously to see what will unfold. It's a long wait but finally, Parsons comes into view at the top of the straight at a crawl. He comes through the esses and the tire has long-since disintegrated and disappeared. The car is down to the alloy wheel now but no, not the rim...the rim is gone altogether! The wheel is down to the spokes!!! Chuck chugs around the last corner as best he can and we clearly see chunks of alloy wheel scatter as with each spoke striking the tarmac, it gets a little smaller with each revolution. Cordts motors into view and aces Chuck for P4 at the line. A superb finish for our boy Cordts but my, what a ballsey performance from Parsons.

One of my chief memories of motorsport. :)

#32 tam999

tam999

• 87 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:42

I grew up on the Monterey Peninsula and as a racing-obsessed kid I followed the careers of our local heroes: Chuck Parsons, Ed Leslie, Don Wester, Jack Flaherty, and probably a couple of others. My brothers & I infected our mother with the racing bug and she became an automotive journalist, writing her "Sports Car Roundup" column for the "Monterey Peninsula Herald". Through her work I got to meet and know my heroes one-on-one.

My favorite memory of Chuck Parsons dates from a "Pebble Beach Sports Car Club" event at Laguna Seca in 1962. The club had a deal with SCRAMP (who stills runs Laguna Seca events) where members could come out the weekend before a race and "cut the grass" that was supposedly growing on the verges of the racetrack. "Grass cutting" basically involved multiple hot laps by clubmembers.

Anyway, Chuck Parsons took "yours truly" for several quick laps around Laguna Seca in a Ferrari 250GT TdF. I don't know if we cut much grass but that ride was the thrill of a lifetime for a 14 year old.

Tam McPartland

#33 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 21:27

Posted Image
Here is a picture that Willem Oosthoek took himself on his first visit to LeMans in 1970. It is the car Chuck Parsons and Tony Adamowicz came home 10th in. Known as SN0872.
photo by Willem Oosthoek

#34 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 22:15

Besides owning several significant Ferraris, Peter Sachs owns the entire library of Klemintaski photographs.

#35 NGSmith

NGSmith

• 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:12

Posted Image
Here is a great picture of Chuck Parsons from 1971 at Mid Ohio.
Besides being a great driver and mentor. Chuck was also the Team manager for the Carl Haas CanAm effort in the early years. Gil Munz and Ike Smith were with Charlie for many years. Peter Bryant and Colin Riley were also team members. Chuck finished 5th in this race. In 1971 he finished 4th at St. Jovite and 8th at Edmonton and 5th at Riverside in the CanAm.
photo lent site Rob Neuzel-copyright 2003 Rob Neuzel

Jerry,

Here is another picture of the same Lola that Chuck drove. This was from Bill Overhauser (that is him in that "MOD" outfit next to it.

Nick

Posted Image

#36 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:50

Nick: I knew Bill Overhauser and his son. I raced his car with the Chrysler motor in it once at Riverside. I believe it is now your car and Chevy powered. Bill was a very nice guy. In practice the belt blew off the dry sump oil pump and we couldn't run the car. That was my last race. I had Gil Munz helping on the car.
Gil Munz has told me a story about Charlie Parsons. It was 1966 and they went to Bridgehampton to run the McLaren in the CanAm. Everyone went to a popular bar all the racers were there. They had a broken Tennis racket on display there and Gil feeling no pain decided to snatch it. After they left they got in Chuck Parsons 1966 Chevy Station Wagon and were heading back to the hotel. All of a sudden Bam! Someone rams them from behind. It was Jerry Grant in a rent a car. Well, Chuck would have none of this and they proceeded to bang each other. Gil said how many mechanics now a days get to go out drinking with the drivers and play bumper cars afterwards. In the race Chuck finished 6th and Jerry Grant finished 7th. Gil Munz says "Those were the days."
Here is one from Don Devine. I was hoping he would put it up himself. Don was at Monterey in 1963 for the USRRC race and was in the front engined Scarab. His car was very quick on the straights but slower in the corners than Chuck Parson's Lotus 23. They were having a great dice going back and forth. And with 8 laps to go a 10 cent part in the differential let go. Don of course was hoping for a nice win in a 6 year old front engine car. Chuck went on to win this race. Don had the highest respect for Chuck as a person and for his driving ability.
Posted Image
Here is Chuck Parsons in the McLaren in 1966 at Bridgehampton.
photo by Robert Bohl

#37 NGSmith

NGSmith

• 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:52

Yes Bill and his son are very good people. I was able to spend some time with both of them this year at Elkhart Lake. They brought some albums of their racing days and we sat and enjoyed them. It turned out that their LolaT160 was not the one I own but I did identify it as one that recently sold in England claiming to be an ex-Surtees works car. The funny thing I learned was that I own a Lotus 23 that turns out to be a car that Bill bought and drove in the late sixties.

Nick

#38 NGSmith

NGSmith

• 137 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:06

The Hemi comment reminded me to add these pictures of the car when it had a Hemi in it. Is this what you remember of it when you drove it?

Nick
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:29

That's how it looked. Very nice car. Bill Overhauser and his son were very excited about it doing good. I felt very bad when the oil pump failed. I thought it was the gauge at first. It was reading zero oil pressure. I brought it in after warming it up a few laps and the belt was off.
Posted Image
Here is Chuck Parsons in his Lotus 15-Ferrari. This is from the 1960 Pro race at Monterey. This car was concieved by Jean Pierre Kunstle and Homer Worth in Monterey around 1959.
photo by Ike Smith

Advertisement

#40 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 23:03

This is what Peter Bryant had to say about Chuck Parsons. "Chuck defied the odds when he started driving race cars and kept defying them in spite of his physical problems. He was a natural born racer with capablities that showed in the way he drove. I never heard Chuck Parsons complain about anything. He was very smart behind the wheel. And it showed in the results he had. He was tough as nails and could arm wrestle and beat almost anyone. Chuck was one of the reasons racing in the sixties and seventies was so much fun."
Posted Image
Sherry Parsons in 1967. This is at Riverside and Sherry is timing Chuck.
As they say " Behind every great man there is a woman." Sherry was the love of Chuck Parsons life. She was his number one fan and time keeper and companion. One of the nicest people you could ever meet.
photo lent site by Ike Smith

#41 merlyn6

merlyn6

• 426 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 17:21

Hi Jerry, I remember you from a Cal Club driver’s school at Riverside back in about 1964 or so. You had one of Max’s ole Yellers, I had a Chevy II special that was a loose copy of a Lotus 7. It was yellow also.
Some girl was driving one of Otto Zipper’s Porsches, a girl friend I think, or maybe she was driving one of the Von Newman cars, memory is foggy on that.

My instructor signed me off from a novice to a regional license in one day, then we went to Santa Barbara and he signed me off for a national license. I went from novice to national in one school day, and one race weekend.

#42 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 20:15

Posted Image
Chuck Parsons on his way to victory at Elkhart Lake 500 in 1967.

He won this race and also drove in the car that finished second. Carl Haas owned McLaren Mk 3B. Skip Scott was Chuck's co driver in this car. Engine was 359 cu in. Alan Bartz made Chevy engine about 508 horsepower. Very reliable.

Photo lent site Tom Schultz-copyright 2005 Tom Schultz.

Merlyn6 that was me in Ol Yaller 2. Glad you are on the Forum.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 19 November 2010 - 01:19.

#43 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:03

In his later years Chuck was aided by Carl and Bernie Haas. They helped with his medical expenses and were very nice to him.

This is a side of Carl Haas and his wife that is little known. Carl, privately, is a warm and generous man.

#44 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 16:46

Posted Image
Chuck Parsons in McLaren. Ike Smith and Tony Hartford lending a hand. Gil Munz was also working on car. The red truck next to the car was how they got to the races. No semi. If you wanted a piece of metal bent you put down the tailgate of the truck and bent it. The camper held the spare engine and gearbox and parts. A trailer built by Chuck's brother in law Ron Gravelle is how they brought the car to the races. This is Las Vegas-Stardust Grand Prix in 1967.
photo by Gil Munz
Posted Image
Gil Munz in the car. Taken at the 1967 USRRC Mid Ohio
photo by Ike Smith

#45 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 21:13

Posted Image
Chuck Parsons in Doug Shierson's Lola. Sponsor Marathon is an American Fuel Company. Doug Shierson's family were the Marathon fuel distributors in Adrian, Michigan.

#46 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 21:51

Posted Image
Stardust GP in 1968. Peter Bryant and Sherry Parsons and Ike Smith, Carl Haas in stripped shirt. Chuck Parsons finished 4th in this race in a Lola T-160.
photo Gil Munz
Posted Image
Here is Chuck at Riverside in 1968 in same Lola T-160. Chuck finished 11th at Riverside and 4th at Stardust GP. Traco 430 cu in big block Chevy. Over 600 hp.
photo by Phil Binks

#47 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 19:28

Posted Image
Chuck at Monterey CanAm Race in 1966. Parnelli Jones is behind him.
photo lent site by Ike Smith- Don Korntved photo

#48 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 20:49

Posted Image
Chuck Parsons and Sherry and Dick Stahler at Riverside. 1969 Chuck has just finished a fine 2nd his highest CanAm finish.
Posted Image
Here is the car Lola T-165 he finished 2nd in. Colin Riley and Ike Smith working on car. Engine by Gary Knutson-Chaparral big block Aluminum Chevy 494 with over 700 hp. This car was clocked at 195 mph through the speed traps at Riverside.
photos by Gil Munz

#49 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 21:00

Posted Image
Chuck winning the Elkhart Lake Road America 500 in 1966. He drove solo to the win. He also was the winner in 1967 and 1968.
Gil Munz photo

#50 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 23:27

Posted Image
Chuck and Dan Blocker AKA Hoss Cartwright. Randy Hilton the car owner in background. Just to the right behind them is the Station Wagon Chuck and Jerry Grant were playing bumper cars with.
photo Gil Munz