Photo

1999.11.13 + Seven

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 16:49

Just thought I would say "Thank you," to all those who have contributed to this forum over the years.

Advertisement

#2 Rob Miller

Rob Miller

• 377 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 16:52

And thank you to you too.

#3 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 16:55

This place brings a lot into my life...

#4 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 17:09

Originally posted by David M. Kane
This place brings a lot into my life...

Great to remember the good old days....not many people that I meet know much, if anything about motorsport, let alone 40-50 years ago!Great Forum, long may it continue :clap:

#5 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 17:56

Don :D
I presume from the configuration of the date you are starting to live backwards like Merlin in "The Once and Future King"
Many thanks to all who contributed to the formation of an interesting and informative port of call
JF

#6 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 18:04

It is still the very first site I check every morning. Fascinating as ever, it never lets me down or deceive me. Credits to the minds that thought first about this. Long live TNF!

#7 Stoatspeed

Stoatspeed

• 235 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 19:09

Seven years in "Internet time" is an eternity ... congratulations to the "founding fathers" of TNF and to all the contributors over the years for keeping it strong and interesting!

Wouldn't it be great for us recent arrivals if there was a designation for the founder members so we could all be aware of the "wise ones"? The "Member since" date is so misleading, since it is affected every time someone has to re-register due to email changes ... not least the esteemed Colonel, who was most definitely a member long before 2005 under other names.
Perhaps there could be a "Charter Member" icon in their user box?

Looking forward to the next 7 years!

#8 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 21:06

Yes. 7 years. OMG! :eek:

I understand why some people around here really "sound" and "feel" like a lifetime!

I simply have no words to explain how this creature paid us back always with more than what each one of us paid himself. An amazing situation for which, obviously, all of us should or might be thankful.

And allow me a toast for Mum and Dad. :rolleyes:

They don´t love each other anymore but look at the kid they created.

Un abrazo for the memories...

Félix

#9 Carlos Guerra

Carlos Guerra

• 90 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 21:16

Thank you too Don.
The young child is in fact a great place.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 22:10

My wife says that I'm addicted to the computer...

It was TNF that created that 'addiction'... which I certainly don't see as such!... I wasn't here right from the beginning, but four weeks afterwards Dennis David invited me as he and Don sought to broaden the ranks.

They didn't have to work at that for very long. Just six months later it was all self-sustaining and so far reaching it was amazing. Today it is even more so.

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 23:04

I too get accused by my wife of being "addicted to the computer"

Again it was TNF that created the addiction.

Many thanks to all who have made the forum the success it is - in particular Bira, Don and Twinny with honourable mentions for ... well, there are too many to name.

#12 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 23:22

Originally posted by D-Type
I too get accused by my wife of being "addicted to the computer"

hmmmn..........sounds familiar! Management thinks I have a girlfriend!!! :rolleyes:

#13 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 23:30

Discovered TNF far too late.

The greatest place to be on the net!

Amazement every day...

#14 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 23:44

Originally posted by Ray Bell
My wife says that I'm addicted to the computer...

It was TNF that created that 'addiction'... which I certainly don't see as such!... I wasn't here right from the beginning, but four weeks afterwards Dennis David invited me as he and Don sought to broaden the ranks.

They didn't have to work at that for very long. Just six months later it was all self-sustaining and so far reaching it was amazing. Today it is even more so.

Ray i concur with what you say, as i am disabled from the waist down, i did not think that i would become addicted, but thank goodness i have become addicted as i consider that my horizons are broadening by the hour...............

#15 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:22

It has only been a month or so since Jerry Entin steered me onto this web site. I joined, and have been browsing it two or three times a day since. In that time I feel that I have learned quite a number of things that I did not know before; very interesting things indeed. As I am involved in the history of racing in a number of areas, I have found membership here to be very rewarding and informative. I hope that I have been able to add some knowledge also.

Best,

Tom Schultz

#16 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:39

Brilliant forum.

I am not a regular contributor, more of a lurker, and I have only been here for 4-5 of those years, but what a great forum it is. Looking forward to another 7 years.

#17 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:51

Don and the other pioneers deserve great credit for creating the wonderful institution which is TNF.
A pity that the current "management" is not more cognizent of the debt it owes.

#18 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:56

Originally posted by Adam F
Don and the other pioneers deserve great credit for creating the wonderful institution which is TNF

I completely agree with this and similar comments posted by others
I stumbled across the forum six years ago and there has rarely been a day since when I haven't checked in at least twice a day, very often more.
I won't mention the nostalgia I feel for the more tightly controlled earlier days of TNF ;)

#19 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 18:11

TNF is wonderful. It's made a huge difference to me. Now I know I'm not the only anorak out there.

Allen

Advertisement

#20 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 18:50

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Bjørn Kjer

#21 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 21:18

Originally posted by Adam F
Don and the other pioneers deserve great credit for creating the wonderful institution which is TNF.
A pity that the current "management" is not more cognizent of the debt it owes.

I'll echo those sentiments:

TNF resonates very strongly with the most worthwhile preoccupations of many enthusiasts, to the benefit of all.

Long may it wave.

And thank you.

--
Frank S
San Diego CA
USA

#22 Psall

Psall

• 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 20:03

Hi there nostalgia forum readers and writers!

I´ve been around this forum for about one or maybe two years, and it´s absolutely brilliant! I don´t think i´ve posted anything here, mainly because i´ve noticed my knowledge about classic formula one (which is my biggest interest) is´nt that big as i thought when i found this forum. But it´s always nice to read and learn from all of you. And the most fun is reading from you guys who were around in the motorsport scene in the 60´s, 70´s and 80´s, where my biggest motorsport-interest is (I´m just 25, and discovered motorsport and grand prix racing in the early 90´s. So i am (sadly) to young for the 60´s, 70´s and 80´s stuff). It seems like it was more fun those days (especially in the 60´s and 70´s).

Well, i guess i´ve been chatting to much now. But i have one thing to say to all of you; Great thanks for the entertaining and very educational reading you have given me (and many others i guess) during this time! It´s always a pleasure to log in and read the stories and the facts of classic motorsport.
And a big thank you to those of you who run this forum!
Happy birthday nostalgia forum!! Keep the good stuff up for (atleast) 7 more years! :clap:

Best regards! /Peter from sweden (Hope you could read this and don´t mind my bad english)

#23 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 976 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 21:27

The day pretty much starts and ends here at TNF. Many thanks to Don, bira, Twinny and all whom have contributed so much. :)

#24 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 21:56

Yes, I concur with everything already said and can honestly say that TNF has single-handedly been responsible for the dramatic slump in my productivity that has occurred in the past few years :D

The breadth of knowledge on the forum never ceases to amaze me and it is when this collective knowledge is stitched together that TNF becomes an unbeatable resource. I cannot now imagine being without it...

And yes, "you spend more b***dy time with your PC than you do with the children" and "are you sure you haven't got a secret girlfriend?" are frequent observations on the part of my other half and testament to the 'power of TNF' :lol:

#25 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 22:45

Sadly I don't have anything like the time I used to be able to spend on Atlas (well, in some respects it's sad that I can't slack here as much as I used to; in others, having a job that I don't actively hate and that keeps me busy is a good thing!) but TNF is quite the most remarkable internet community I've ever encountered in 20 years online. There are a few places here and there on the net where you can shoot the breeze with experts in their field, but nowhere where there's such strength in depth...

I can't begin to describe how much TNF has taught me about racing; this community has an ability to get 'behind' the stories and grub out the real human stories behind racing. I don't think there's anywhere else where an eclectic and international crowd comes at racing history from all angles from the "just the facts, ma'am" of chassis numbers and lap times to the hairy tales of derring-do in assorted post-race hostelries...

It's a privilege to sit here studying at the feet of the scholars and the occasional hero, and I hope once in a while I've chucked the odd useful fact into the melting pot.

#26 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:37

Thank you H.Donald Capps and all of you for making this such an interesting and informative place to be.