Photo

An evening in homage to Patrick Depailler

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:33

For those of you that will be in the region of Clermont-Ferrand (France) on 8 February 2007, here is an evening you surely must not miss:

(Press release from the organisers)

An evening in homage to Patrick Depailler

In August 1980, Patrick Depailler, automobile racing driver from Clermont Ferrand, France, passed away suddenly during private trials at the Hockenheim circuit in Germany

36 years old, this passionate racer created a special place for himself during his 17 year glorious career in all types of racing, covering motorcycle, rally, endurance, F3 (Champion of France in 71), F2 (Champion of Europe in 74) and F1 (winner of the Monaco GP in 78 and the Spanish GP in 79).

For the people from his Clermont Ferrand and Auvergne region, he remains today one of their own, the one who reached finally the F1 during the last Grand Prix of France organised on the mythical circuit of Charade in 1972.

Memories go strong and deep in the Auvergne region. The sports module of Charade, named after him just like several other roads and sports complexes carrying his name are standing proofs.

A book written by Laurent Gauvin, a young and promising author, including a preface by François Guiter and Jean-Pierre Jabouille is dedicated to him under the title “Patrick Depailler, poursuivi par le destin“ (Patrick Depailler, chased by destiny, to be published in February 2007).

During the release of the book, the SATCAR, the Automobile Club of Auvergne and the author are organising a soirée in the form of homage. Several racing drivers and close friends of Patrick Depailler are expected to attend the evening:

Thursday 8 February 2007 at 9 p.m. (Polydome - Clermont-Ferrand)

On the platform decorated with racing cars, there will be a succession of discussions and screening of films, some of them for the first time.

The organisers take this opportunity to make an appeal to the public, hoping that they will open their drawers of memory and the archives of passionate collections for reviving and sharing the great moments of this period, marvellous for the history of mechanical sports.

This warm and friendly evening shall be open to public with free access.

For more information, contact:
Roland Auroy – Frédérique Granjon - Commissariat of SATCAR
Phone: 04 73 27 91 46 – E-mail: satcar@satcar-clermont.com

Advertisement

#2 Bruno

Bruno

• 563 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:50

it is a little far from at home, but I would be there by the thought. Patrick Depailler was great driver, who did not have the career that it deserved.

#3 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 15:36

I too wish I could be there. He was one of my all-time favorites and I feel lucky to see him race so many times, particularly his win win at Monaco.

#4 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 20:41

I wonder that nobody invited us, Marius ;)

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:44

No invitation needed, Stefan!! It is open for "common folk" and entrance is free. Make an effort, if you can, otherwise you'll regret in in the years to come. An ideal opportunity and excuse to visit C-F again.

#6 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 16:20

If anyone is interested I just wish to inform you that the very successful homage evening that was held in Clermont-Ferrand is also now available on double DVD to those that could not attend.

Two DVDs of an hour each featuring on stage interviews/discussions by men like Mauro Bianchi, Andre de Cortanze, Manou Zurini, Marcel Morel, etc. It also shows some nice photos and also several movie footage of Depailler's races, short interviews with him, etc.

All in French naturally.