Photo

McLaren - Alonso : an uncertain future ?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: McLaren - Alonso : an uncertain future ? (158 member(s) have cast votes)

1. YES (84 votes [53.16%])

Percentage of vote: 53.16%

2. NO (74 votes [46.84%])

Percentage of vote: 46.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 13:40

Yesterday and today, spanish newspapers were speculating about the possibility that Alonso would not stay at McLaren till the end of his contract. It seems that Ferrari, given Raikonnen's poor performance, would be pleased in having Alonso instead.

Will Alonso leave McLaren soon ?

http://www.20minutos...Ferrari/futuro/

Advertisement

#2 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 20:49

Possible, but it's also possible the press is blowing things out of proportion. Presumably, both contracts are quite water-tight so all parties (perhaps the drivers would be swapped, in this case) would need to agree.

#3 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 20:51

:yawn:

And last week it was Hamilton that went to Ferrari. Are they gonna run 2 teams?

#4 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 20:54

I dont think it will last until the end but Alonso at Ferrari looks very very unlikely.

#5 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 20:56

Originally posted by jokuvaan
I dont think it will last until the end but Alonso at Ferrari looks very very unlikely.

Back to Renault perhaps more likely, but not unless Renault improves a lot this year.

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 20:56

That's correct, because he will drive for BMW. (Joking).

#7 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 21:00

Is there the slightest indication from the concerned parties Alonso, McLaren and Ferrari existent?

Otherwise I would not care in the least about all those speculations from the hysterical Spanish press.

#8 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 21:20

Ferrari's a funny one. I get the impression that the Management's split:

- Luca di Montezemolo wanted Raikkonen above all else.
- Brawn wanted Alonso, if he was free.
- Todt wanted Schumacher to stay on.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Todt hates Alonso for his comments about Schumacher being a cheat and his constant attacks on the teams he has driven for. On the other hand, I suppose Todt isn't going to be with Ferrari much longer and LdM will certainly switch to Alonso if he feels that Raikkonen isn't delivering... it's possible. Given the mud-slinging engaged by Alonso at the moment McLaren might be very happy to let him go: they've a confirmed star in Lewis Hamilton, do they need an extravagently paid Prima Donna in the other seat? And, if Alonso goes, would Ron finally decide on Nick Heidfeld (if he becomes free) as a fantastic replacement?

#9 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 21:25

McLaren has commercial interests in Alonso; Vodafone reportedly wants to improve on the Spanish market (allthough I suppose the interest in Hamilton from the UK public doesn't hurt at all for their UK operation) and Banco Santander is also a fairly major sponsor.

It's also better that he drives for McLaren instead of Ferrari, from a competitive POV. Ron usually wants the best available drivers, so their own results are better and the competition doesn't have access to those drivers.

#10 Ural

Ural

• 462 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:01

I don't think the marriage is over for years. Fernando is too good driver to loose.

#11 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:05

Yeah but Alonso is not going to be stay as number two if it goes into that.

#12 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:06

Originally posted by Orin

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Todt hates Alonso for his comments about Schumacher being a cheat and his constant attacks on the teams he has driven for. On the other hand, I suppose Todt isn't going to be with Ferrari much longer and LdM will certainly switch to Alonso if he feels that Raikkonen isn't delivering... it's possible. Given the mud-slinging engaged by Alonso at the moment McLaren might be very happy to let him go: they've a confirmed star in Lewis Hamilton, do they need an extravagently paid Prima Donna in the other seat? And, if Alonso goes, would Ron finally decide on Nick Heidfeld (if he becomes free) as a fantastic replacement?

Ross Brawn will be team principal next year too... :-)

#13 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:21

Alonso would not be the first guy to leave a team because he does not feel at home and is unhappy about team support. I would advice him doing a Prost: beat the other guy, then move on to another team and beat him again there...that should settle the matter...but watch out for human rockets at the championship deciding race. :cool:

#14 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:55

Originally posted by kar

Ross Brawn will be team principal next year too... :-)

Frankly, I miss the bastard. :blush: :D

#15 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 22:57

Originally posted by holiday
Alonso would not be the first guy to leave a team because he does not feel at home and is unhappy about team support. I would advice him doing a Prost: beat the other guy, then move on to another team and beat him again there...that should settle the matter...but watch out for human rockets at the championship deciding race. :cool:

:rotfl:

But that would show some class. Sadly I doubt it will happen.

#16 skonks

skonks

• 925 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 23:30

Well, I guess we can say that Todt's wish would have been the best of the 3 you described :up:
Unfortunatly for Ferrari, Schumacher decided to hang up the helmet :lol:

#17 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 00:04

Originally posted by WHITE
Yesterday and today, spanish newspapers were speculating about the possibility that Alonso would not stay at McLaren till the end of his contract. It seems that Ferrari, given Raikonnen's poor performance, would be pleased in having Alonso instead.

The problem is right now Alonso is trailing versus his rookie teammate...

#18 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 00:10

Why people talk about Kimi's poor performance, when the difference of Hamilton and Alonso is more than Kimi's and Massa's. And Kimi is the only one who has had a technical DNF....

Surely Kimi is doing something right after all.... we will see this at the end of the season.

#19 inaki

inaki

• 2,422 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 00:14

Originally posted by giacomo
Otherwise I would not care in the least about all those speculations from the hysterical Spanish press.

Gazetta dello Sport last week, AFAIK

Advertisement

#20 jimm

jimm

• 3,228 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:08

Originally posted by holiday

While I agree with the fact Alonso should just get down to buisness... Prost had to win the last 2 races and Senna not finish above 4th to win in 1990. Not like they were basically even.

#21 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:19

The comments appeared in the Italian press (Gazzeta and Corriere). IMO Alonso will not leave a competitive team unless he is moving to a better team.

And, finally, we can see where Orine's hatred towards Fernando Alonso originates from. :rotfl:

#22 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:20

"Right here, the price of breaking Fred's contract is stated very clearly"

http://www.autosport...ge/l_ZK5Y7499-2

"Well then, I guess you're stuck with me for a few more years, eh?"

http://www.autosport...ge/l_YY8P8461-2

;)

#23 jimm

jimm

• 3,228 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:26

Originally posted by Spunout

The problem is right now Alonso is trailing versus his rookie teammate...

I think there would be alot of drivers....maybe all of them also trailing LH....Alonso has just finished cleaning up the last 2 seasons. I doubt it would be any different against anyone else...

#24 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:55

Me too. :love: ..Ooops not in that way you understand! :blush:

#25 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,313 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:00

Ron in pictures is always a hands on sort of guy aint he!

#26 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:01

Originally posted by micra_k10

Why people talk about Kimi's poor performance, when the difference of Hamilton and Alonso is more than Kimi's and Massa's. And Kimi is the only one who has had a technical DNF....

Surely Kimi is doing something right after all.... we will see this at the end of the season.

ok then, both Alonso and Raikkonen are copping it. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

FWIW this is all BS. Both Raikkonen and Alonso will stay put.

#27 Spunout

Spunout

• 12,351 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:04

Originally posted by jimm

I think there would be alot of drivers....maybe all of them also trailing LH....Alonso has just finished cleaning up the last 2 seasons. I doubt it would be any different against anyone else...

It was supposed to be like that against Hamilton as well. Of course, after making DC and JPM look "average", the other top 2 driver Räikkönen was supposed to whip Massa. That isn´t happening, either.

Do we believe that current hierarchy stands:

1) Hamilton (rookie!!!)

2) Alonso (2XWDC)

3) the rest

Actually, based on 2004 we´d better include Trulli to that 2) group. Meaning we have to include everybody from Ralf to Jenson as well...

My point? Hamilton is outstanding rookie, no question. But I am not fully convinced Alonso has performed at his best yet. The same with Kimi.

#28 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:11

Originally posted by Spunout
It was supposed to be like that against Hamilton as well. Of course, after making DC and JPM look "average", the other top 2 driver Räikkönen was supposed to whip Massa. That isn´t happening, either.

My point? Hamilton is outstanding rookie, no question. But I am not fully convinced Alonso has performed at his best yet. The same with Kimi.

and who's convinced that Hamilton and Massa have hit their peak?

Or is that what your hoping? Thought so.

#29 SphereTL1000S

SphereTL1000S

• 1,773 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:46

If Alonso gets beaten by Hamilton in this year's McLaren (with or w/o WDC), I doubt he will look for someplace else. He has a reputation to care for. He will want to payback the following year, unless he feels he has to figth more than Hamilton only. But if it is politics or internal fighting that scares him off, that should be clear for everybody to see, and he should not be the instigator of that, for that to work as a legitimate reason. Otherwise, he would be seen as the double champion who run off the fight with the young rookie.

If he wins the battle with Hamilton this year (with or w/o WDC), he will think he can do it again next year. So no reason to leave McLaren there.

So how can this relationship change, IMHO?

If (big IF) he manages to get more points than Hamilton in 2008 (with or w/o WDC), maybe then we will see some parties interested in changing.

Maybe Dennis and Hamilton feeling that Alonso is not "helping" Hamilton's carreer, etc. After all, if he gets beaten two years in a row by Alonso (with or w/o WDC), specially if it is close, things will not get pretty for Hamilton. Hamilton will be each time hungrier, and I bet, given the expectation that the British media, and given what his current results indicates, a WDC is close. It should be close. Not to mention that McLaren can be a dog in 2008 (it is possible). And then, at this moment, Ferrari or other team might be willing to make a huge offer.

Then Dennis will have to react. He will want to keep both (since Alonso always ended up with more points in this scenario), but Hamilton may want to be a little bit impatient with no WDC to show for. He will try to avoid as much as he can Raikkonen's fate. An early runner up WDC and 7 years with no WDC. Will the press, and himself cope with that as well as Raikkonen did?

We will see, of course.

#30 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:42

Originally posted by SphereTL1000S
If Alonso gets beaten by Hamilton in this year's McLaren (with or w/o WDC), I doubt he will look for someplace else. He has a reputation to care for. He will want to payback the following year, unless he feels he has to figth more than Hamilton only. But if it is politics or internal fighting that scares him off, that should be clear for everybody to see, and he should not be the instigator of that, for that to work as a legitimate reason. Otherwise, he would be seen as the double champion who run off the fight with the young rookie.

Well the problem is that he already thinks that the team are biased towards Hamilton when it appears that they've been very even handed. And at Monaco, of course, the team was put on a 1-2 strategy with Alonso clearly expected to be the '1' - yet he still complains about them favouring Hamilton! If he does get beaten I think he'll go on endlessly about "never having stood a chance", at that point the team may simply consider him a liability.

#31 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:53

I am a Mclaren fan and has been one sine the late 80s when the great Ayrton Senna and A Prost were driving for the team in the Mclaren Honda but I still believe in fairness. The events that led to this question been posted began with LH's outburst after the Monaco GP and the british press going wild with the story.

The fact is Mclaren needs Alonso more than the other way round. Mclaren won't be where they are today without Alonso's contribution but they will be where they are without LH. Alonso and KIMI would have been very successful on the track as well and there would have been no story because both of them would have understood the team tactics at Monaco and both of them would have had no problems with telemetry information been hidden or otherwise.

These are proud complete drivers that would have been ashamed if rightly accused of piggybacking. They will optimize the info that paid test drivers provide the team with their own driving preferences. Like I said, these are proud drivers that totally believe in their own abilities to set up their own car to suit their driving styles.

I was not an Alonso fan nevertheless I would leave if I were him or just not set up my car properly and the team loses. Sooner or later they will get the message.

What will they do fire me?

#32 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:56

Originally posted by former champ
ok then, both Alonso and Raikkonen are copping it. Does that make you feel better? :rolleyes:

Yes, since Kimi really is at least as good as Alonso :smoking:

#33 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:07

Originally posted by micra_k10

Yes, since Kimi really is at least as good as Alonso :smoking:

so we thought. :D

#34 Ural

Ural

• 462 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:26

Yeah but Alonso is not going to be stay as number two if it goes into that.

You are probably right! Ferrari don't need Fernando, but for example Toyota do!

#35 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:40

Yesterday and today, spanish newspapers were speculating about the possibility that Alonso would not stay at McLaren till the end of his contract.

the speculation came from italian media. not at all spanish media.

#36 WHITE

WHITE

• 1,498 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:38

Originally posted by lukywill

the speculation came from italian media. not at all spanish media.

Thankyou Lukywill. In fact, the italian sources are mentioned in the spanish article.
Anyway, wherever the speculation comes from, it does not change the meaning of the thread.

I think Alonso's " verbal incontinence " does not make him any good.

#37 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:59

sure makes him good. he must fight lewis off track also. the king of the intelligent press approach was nelson piquet and lewis is pretty good at it. alonso´s approach was quite successfully in the past.

about alonso´s future? it is uncertain for 2009.

#38 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,561 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:08

cheap shot and desperate attempt to destabilize McLaren ... :down:

#39 ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez

• 497 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:16

Originally posted by Enkei
:yawn:

And last week it was Hamilton that went to Ferrari. Are they gonna run 2 teams?

:lol:

Advertisement

#40 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 13:14

Trust me Brawn would of wanted Michael to stay on for sure. He knew all about Michael's pace and how he was still one of the fastest, if not the fastest in F1. He would of definately wanted him if Michael intended to carry on. I also think Brawn likes Kimi because he's admired him a great deal over the years and commented on him after races alot, plus he likes the fact he doesn't talk to the press much....fits in with the Ferrari philosophy.

#41 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 14:16

Originally posted by F1Champion

Trust me Brawn would of wanted Michael to stay on for sure. He knew all about Michael's pace and how he was still one of the fastest, if not the fastest in F1. He would of definately wanted him if Michael intended to carry on. I also think Brawn likes Kimi because he's admired him a great deal over the years and commented on him after races alot, plus he likes the fact he doesn't talk to the press much....fits in with the Ferrari philosophy.

Yes, I worded that badly - Michael was Ross's first choice. But I think Alonso really would have been his second choice. Alonso and Schumacher have more in common than Kimi and Schumacher. The only downside is his whingeing - but, given a weaker teammate, that is not likely to be a problem. The funny thing is that Massa has done so well this season that, had Alonso been at Ferrari, we may well have heard him complaining about Felipe's privileged position within the Todt family! ;)

#42 slapstick

slapstick

• 1,809 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 14:44

Originally posted by former champ

so we thought. :D

At least he's not getting smashed by a ROOKIE. :rolleyes:

#43 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:14

Alonso and Schumacher have more in common than Kimi and Schumacher.

You mean driving style? Thought Kimi was very similar to Michael, left foot brake.

:cool:

#44 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:45

Originally posted by Powersteer
You mean driving style? Thought Kimi was very similar to Michael, left foot brake.

:cool:

Surely Alonso left foot brakes? I thought even DC had switched over to that nowadays?

No I meant in terms of attitude to the job, Alonso and Schumacher will both work tirelessly to get the team working to their satisfaction and toward their goals. I get the impression that Kimi is happy to leave the engineering to the engineers and simply turn up and drive the damn thing. IIRC Ron Dennis said that the team were impressed by how Alonso forcefully but politely told them what he did and didn't want from the car.

#45 former champ

former champ

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:47

Originally posted by slapstick

At least he's not getting smashed by a ROOKIE. :rolleyes:

your not making it sound any worse for Alonso by saying that. I think Kimi would be in the same position as Alonso if he were up against Hamilton, the kid hasn't put a foot wrong and he's been very fast from the first race.

#46 ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez

• 497 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:49

Originally posted by giacomo
Is there the slightest indication from the concerned parties Alonso, McLaren and Ferrari existent?

It was not the Spanish press which started it. It was the Italian Press.

#47 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:52

Originally posted by ExxonValdez

It was not the Spanish press which started it. It was the Italian Press.

It's not important who started it, it's who became hysterical that is the issue. ;)

#48 ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez

• 497 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 15:59

It's not important who started it, it's who became hysterical that is the issue. ;)

Believe me: I don't see any histery here at all. Just the opposite: Fernando beated Hamilton in the three FP of yesterday and today.

Oooopppps! And the 'tester-rookie' beated the 'rookie' :rotfl:

#49 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 16:05

Originally posted by ExxonValdez

Believe me: I don't see any histery here at all. Just the opposite: Fernando beated Hamilton in the three FP of yesterday and today.

Oooopppps! And the 'tester-rookie' beated the 'rookie' :rotfl:

You know there's a song you might like, it goes:-

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad.
If it makes you happy
Then why the hell are you
Soooo sad!?

:D

#50 ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez

• 497 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 16:22

You know there's a song you might like, it goes:-

If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad.
If it makes you happy
Then why the hell are you
Soooo sad!?

:D

Not sad at all here. Just waiting the things to calm down and the drivers to get their proper place. All this fuss in the British press just because there's a British driver with a good car is a little bit crazy. You also have Jenson Button. It happened to him the same thing some years ago.

Alonso warned Hamilton about it in Australia: "Be careful, because if you do the things good, they'll make you a hero, and if you don't have luck and committ a mistake, they'll make you a zero. Don't take the press so seriously".

For me, it's clear the McLaren is the best car this year. And a great part of that comes from the work of the team, Alonso and De la Rosa. Any driver who had the car N2 of McLaren would be doing the same things that Hamilton is doing. No more, nor less.