Photo

Sam Tingles Brabham Repco BT24-2

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bschenker

bschenker

• 523 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:59

I saw for last the Brabham Repco BT24-2 in Donington.
Where is the Brabham Repco BT24-2 now, still in Donnington?

I heard the car is still in the possession of Sam Tingle.
Is that true?

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:09

No, not with Sam. He now lives in South Africa. Car is in the UK.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:23

Originally posted by bschenker
I saw for last the Brabham Repco BT24-2 in Donington

I stand to be corrected, but I thought it was BT24-1 in the Donington Collection
Perhaps they both resided there at different times

#4 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:56

I recall that it was Denny Hulme’s championship winning car of 1967.

Eduardo Manuel Pinto, Sam’s mechanic took four years to rebuild the car after Tingle had a career ending crash in it. He crashed at Malmesbury corner at Killarney. After the restoration, I think, the car went to Anton Rupert’s collection and from there to Donnington. Sam is still proud to tell people that he is still the owner of this car.

#5 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 17:14

Tingle's car is Brabham BT24/2

Brabham BT24/1 was also in South Africa at one stage. Basil van Rooyen.

I have a nice 6 page article on the late Eddie Pinto's efforts in restoring BT24/2.

#6 bschenker

bschenker

• 523 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 19:28

The Brabham Repco BT24-1 (Jack Brabham, Basil van Rooyen, Gordon Henderson and Ivor Robertson) is in Australia (Brian Wilson).

If I understood correctly, is the Brabham Repco BT24-2 (Denis Hulme and Sam Tingle) still in the possession of Sam Tingle, but the vehicle is in England.

Where in England?

Donnington!

#7 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 19:36

Yes, Sam is the owner of the car and it is housed in the Donington collection.

Eddie restored it for the second time after the car was rotting away in Rupert's museum in Heidelberg. The engine apparently seized up due to the fact that it was regularly washed at this museum. New liners and pistons were made as well as some other parts.

#8 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 19:47

South African, Alistair Gibson was looking after the car at one stage, when he was not doing duty as chief mechanic in the BAR F1 team. I think Fred Goddard, Sam's old chum from Rhodesia, is also assisting.

#9 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:14

Originally posted by Hieronymus

I have a nice 6 page article on the late Eddie Pinto's efforts in restoring BT24/2.

"...late Eddie Pinto."? :( I didn't know, when?

I remember chatting to him on more than one occasion, always a nice guy, not to mention being a master race mechanic.

#10 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 13:31

Eddie passed away in Cape Town. Around April/May last year.

#11 pmbboy

pmbboy

• 265 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 16:25

Eddie passed away in Cape Town. Around April/May last year.

I am very sad to hear that , I met Eddie several times in the early eighties while I worked for Trevor Van Rooyen on his F2 cars. I always found Eddie very helpfull and funny and certainly a ace machinist and mechanic.

cheers
Peter

#12 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 17:12

Robert Young (ry6) supplied this very nice pic of Sam Tingle in Brabham BT24/2 during the 1969 Rand Spring Trophy at Kyalami.

Posted Image

#13 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 17:27

Is there any chance you can post it on this forum?

#14 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 17:48

Zak

I presume you refer to the journal article. I'm a bit careful with copyright issues, so I'll rather email you a scan if you would care to provide me with your email address. You can email or PM me.

#15 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:30

Originally posted by bschenker
The Brabham Repco BT24-1 (Jack Brabham, Basil van Rooyen, Gordon Henderson and Ivor Robertson) is in Australia (Brian Wilson).

Here's the other one...Brabham BT24/1

Gordon Henderson in 1969.

Posted Image

Photo supplied by Robert Young

#16 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:45

Interesting pictures, I don't recall seeing the Gordon Henderson car before. The BT24 never look anything like as good as in the original "works" green and gold colours.

#17 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 17:20

The BT24/1 was red in colour by the time Henderson used it.

#18 LDS

LDS

• 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:31

In that picture of Gordon Henderson in BT24/1, the car following is Derek Henderson (no relation) in the ex Sam Tingle 2.7 LDS Climax. I met Derek for a beer the other day, do you have any other photos of him in that car? Thks.

#19 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:33

LDS you are pretty good at identification.

I said to Hieronymous that I thought the other car was Derek Henderson in a old LDS.

Sadly I have no other pix of it.

Can you ask Derek a bit about his experiences with the car and what happened to it please?

Advertisement

#20 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:36

Alan, the BT24's ALWAYS looked good. To me, for the time, it was a particularly neat car from day 1.

The South African cars were prepared to high standards by Sam and Basil van Rooyen.

When Gordon Henderson bought the ex van Rooyen car he looked after it pretty competently and presented it beautifully, and that on a very limited privateer budget.

#21 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:10

Originally posted by LDS
In that picture of Gordon Henderson in BT24/1, the car following is Derek Henderson (no relation) in the ex Sam Tingle 2.7 LDS Climax. I met Derek for a beer the other day, do you have any other photos of him in that car? Thks.

LDS/Robert

Please help me here. I always thought it was DAVE Henderson??

Here is Basil van Rooyen in Brabham BT24/1 at the Rand Winter Trophy race at Kyalami in 1968.

Posted Image

(photo supplied by Robert Young)

#22 LDS

LDS

• 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:09

ry6,

Derek (definitely not Dave..) had a couple of races in it in 1969 but then used it a lot in drag racing in Salisbury Rhodesia. Sam then bought it back off Derek and it became a feature in his home pub in Hartley. It was recommissioned recently, and Sam's son David had an outing in it the Cape Town leg of the Piper series in 2006. It now sits in my garage as I am looking after it for Sam. I will be seeing Derek next week and he is allowing me to copy all the photos he has of the car. I will forward some to Hieronymus for posting if you like.
Rgds.

#23 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:05

That's great news LDS.

I have asked Hieronymous to post a colour shot of Sam in the BT24 when he gets a chance.

It was from the 1969 SAGP.

The BT24 was only delivered shortly before the race and the Gunston team struggled to ready it.

Probably had a lot of good bits 'robbed' or 'donored' or 'cannabised' before it was sent to them?

From what I have heard you seldom got what you ordered when you bought a race car.

#24 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:32

Originally posted by ry6
The BT24 was only delivered shortly before the race and the Gunston team struggled to ready it.

Probably had a lot of good bits 'robbed' or 'donored' or 'cannabised' before it was sent to them?

From what I have heard you seldom got what you ordered when you bought a race car.

Yes, I've heard from more than one driver that they got rather a raw-deal when buying these cars.

At least Brabham BT24/2 was delivered in "race condition". Eddie Pinto said that he loaded the car on his trailer the moment Rindt climbed from it after the SAGP. The engine was still hot when Eddie arrived at his home.

Here is the photo of Sam Tingle at the 1969 South African GP.

Posted Image

#25 LDS

LDS

• 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:01

ry6,
Sam had taken delivery of BT24/2 directly after the 1968 SAGP. He then ran it for the season and was then entered in the 1969 Grand Prix. Don't follow you on them battling to get it ready, having just received it?

#26 ry6

ry6

• 525 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 15:23

LDS - Oops - I had my dates wrong.
I have not got my records with me.

You are right. They bought it after the 1968 GP.

But from memory (obviously fading fast!) I do recall the Tingle team being at the back of the grid and battling in practice.

I will look up grid times etc when I get a chance.

#27 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:27

Originally posted by LDS
ry6,

Derek (definitely not Dave..) had a couple of races in it in 1969 but then used it a lot in drag racing in Salisbury Rhodesia. Sam then bought it back off Derek and it became a feature in his home pub in Hartley. It was recommissioned recently, and Sam's son David had an outing in it the Cape Town leg of the Piper series in 2006. It now sits in my garage as I am looking after it for Sam. I will be seeing Derek next week and he is allowing me to copy all the photos he has of the car. I will forward some to Hieronymus for posting if you like.
Rgds.

"LDS" made contact with Derek Henderson. See posts # 155 and 156 on SOUTH AFRICAN F1 CHAMPIONSHIP thread for more photos.