Another picture ID

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:02

Hello there,
can anyone help identify the driver,race,year etc.?
the pics are in my dad's photo album and all have a "6." or "6I" written on the back so i assume they were taken at the same event,most likely the Nuerburgring.
I checked "The complete book of Formula One" for ID but cannot find a Porsche 718 with that number (7) in a race between 1959-1964.
I have written Edgar Barth 1960 Nuerburgring at the back (some time ago) but don't know where i got the info from...just a bit confused now...
no info at all for the other 2 pics...
thanks in advance
cheers Marty

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,401 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:06

The top one could be Dan Gurney early in the Porsche F1 attempt. It doesn't look like Carl Godin de Beaufort's helmet, it looks like an early Bell.

The second is a Lotus 18 and the third a Lotus 20.

#3 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:18

According to the "Black Book" 7 was Edgar Barth at the German GP 1960 (remeber this was a F2 race). This would also fit with the Lotus 18 no. 11 being Innes Ireland.

None of the other German races in 60/61 fit with 7 being a Porsche.
RAP

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,877 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 18:07

Originally posted by RAP
According to the "Black Book" 7 was Edgar Barth at the German GP 1960 (remeber this was a F2 race). This would also fit with the Lotus 18 no. 11 being Innes Ireland.

None of the other German races in 60/61 fit with 7 being a Porsche.
RAP

And the absence of rain would indicate that they're taken in practice: it teemed down for the entire race, I believe!

The Lotus 20 picture must be later though - unless I'm very much mistaken the driver isn't wearing a helmet or goggles and also appears to not be in overalls either. Could it be Chunky out on an impromptu test drive on the Betonschleife?

#5 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 19:11

Originally posted by Vitesse2

And the absence of rain would indicate that they're taken in practice: it teemed down for the entire race, I believe!

Yes, they're practice shots. The track was wet from start to finish in the race: http://www.britishpa...ps.php?id=95672

#6 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 17:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2

The Lotus 20 picture must be later though - unless I'm very much mistaken the driver isn't wearing a helmet or goggles and also appears to not be in overalls either. Could it be Chunky out on an impromptu test drive on the Betonschleife?

I very much doubt, Richard, that shot being taken on the "Betonschleife". The background does not fit at all. I would put my money on the Südschleife, whoever drove there without helmet and overalls.

#7 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 00:49

thanks guys,didn't even think of a F2 race :drunk:
there is one more pic with the same number on the back but probably very hard to identify...
thanks again for the help

Posted Image

cheers marty

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,877 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 20:37

Bonnier and von Trips?