Introducing the 'TNF Gold Cup' - an annual GPL race for TNFers

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:38

Hi all !

With the approval of our host, I would like to introduce to you all the project of a yearly GPL race for TNFers : the TNF Gold Cup.

The general idea would be to stage a yearly race on November 15, the birthday of TNF ; using the original F1 1967 cars of the Grand Prix Legends sim racing game, on a Full GP basis in terms of race length and damage rules. The track could change every year and could be decided by a poll based on a shortlist of tracks, all of which should of course have both a major historical significance and a worthy GPL incarnation.

The biggest issue would probably be to decide a race start time that would suit TNFers from around the World, but there is nothing insurmountable here. I can provide one (or two if necessary) reliable 100Mbps race servers for the event.

So, anyone in ?

Cheers
:wave:

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 13:47

Great idea, Frank!

I only wish I had the required skill to join-in... :

#3 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:00

Originally posted by Twin Window
Great idea, Frank!

Me too, I play TOCA, or Grand Turismo on Play Station with my son and can never manage to beat him.....he has much better dexterity in his younger hands.....that's my excuse, and I think it is a very plausible one for losing :smoking: .....can we spectate Frank? :confused:

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:33

Sadly this would be a waste of time for me.

I trundle around about 5% - 8% off the standard time at most tracks, and would just be in the way.

It's a great idea though. :up:

#5 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:39

I don't think You can, Sterling- one can (AFAIK) only follow progress of the race on a circuit layout (in real time)*...

I'd love to give it a go, but I've been retired for a while now. If I get the chance, I'll dust off the steering wheel in the fall and see if I'm up to the task of keeping up. :

* something similar has recently been done to watch F1 races once official timing has been released (but it's not in real time)

EDIT Barry- if You enjoy GPL then You must attend- it's not a request, it's an order! :up: Trust me, keep it steady and on the tarmac, and You're more likely to finish in front of me when I kill the engine or wrap my car around a tree. :lol:

#6 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 20:32

The general idea would be to stage a yearly race on November 15, the birthday of TNF

I was somehow under the mistaken notion that it was on 13 November, but, then, what do I know?

#7 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:19

Don - I picked November 15 as it was, I believe, the date on which our fomer ftfl & hmbl srvt ;) posted the first ever TNF post. As a sidenote I find a bit sad in an historical perspectice that you edited/deleted this particular post - but then you probably had your own good reasons. Anyway I'll be happy to switch to November 13 as the birthday date.

Wolf - I must admit one of my hopes was to take out of retirement some former GPL glories as yourself for this special event ;)

Barry - everyone is welcome to join in whatever the level. You are faster than many online GPL racers I race with every week. I could even point you to a couple of leagues where, given your GPLrank times, you would fight for podium honors.

Sterling - to put an image on Wolf's words, the best and only way to follow a GPL online race from the outside is GPLtv which gives you this :

Posted Image

Stuart - start training for 2009 then :D

#8 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:14

Frank, if I may suggest something little extra for the TNF Gold Cup race. :) I've organized a few races in Croatian league where drivers would race with their own car liveries and helmet designs- it's quite easily done, but really serves no other purpose than to have a bit of fun.

E.g. this is 'my' 49 (not very original design, is it? :blush: ) In this race, I could drive it and everybody would see me with this livery and helmet:

Posted Image

P.S. Barry would probably not like what I've done to a beautiful Eagle :blush:

Posted Image

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:21

Wolf, I'd love to know how to do new liveries. Please can you P.M. me some details?

#10 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:52

My PC is going to get a funeral soon...

With the xBox 360, I played at FM2 online against Stirling Moss during a Live event on a speedway with other players.
In the last race, I managed to create havock going side by side and touching a car on the banking :rolleyes:
I'm glad I wasn't the one who collected him in the mess I created :lol:

#11 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:59

Great idea Wolf ! But we would need a volunteer or two to create a batch of skins, as I'm afraid most simracers, including me, have zero competence in this domain... A blue/orange TNF skin would be neat for instance :).
Nice Lotus btw ! I am part of a friend's simracing team (JPS France) and we have several cars (GTP, V8 Supercar, F3, etc.) with liveries of a similar vein !

#12 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:28

Skins for cars and helmets are not that hard to do in GPL, and I'll make a small tutorial (probably even today)- my skins are not as intricate as splendid GPLEA work, but I think they do the job... I'll post a few liveries and pics of my own to give you an idea how it's done, and then making a skin from a picture/drawing is a pretty straightforward thing.

#13 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 378 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 13:08

OK I'll give it a last try before considering this a major flop :)... Scheduled race date is approching, little interest shown :(... anyone willing to participate please say so. Race will not happen if less than 10 drivers show up...

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,015 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 13:43

Originally posted by Twin Window
Great idea, Frank!

It never stopped some of them at the time. :p

#15 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 17:09

I haven't touched Legends for months and months now so I'm afraid I'm not going to embarrass myself competing with others.

I can't even compete with Bonnier! :lol: