Alonso, Massa, Kimi and Hamilton title team orders discussion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 17:41

Questions on my mind:

What happens if Hamilton has mathmatically outscored Alonso to get the title with 1-2 races to spare for example and there is still a ferrari driver in contention?

Will ALonso help Hamilton? I think Alonso could quit if they came to be, imagine Alonso helping Hamilton? But it's not out of possibilities either, Michael Schumacer helped and gifted Irvine the Malaysia win in 1999, effectively helping Irvine go to the last round with a chance to take the title Michael so much wanted and couldn't because of his silverstone accident.

But again at least Michael and Ferrari got along for Michael to be team player. Will Alonso really dig his pride and forgo fighting for wins for Hamilton to succeed?

And in the case of Hamilton, lets say Alonso is in a chance with the title, I could possibilty see Hamilton helping Alonso out by nature of team's assistence, BY HELPING THOUGH, I mean, forgoing the race wins, and perhaps maybe tactically doing fuel strategies to mess a ferrari strategy maybe. Another reason fuel quali needs to go.

Ferrari is easy, Kimi and Massa are more in harmoney with team, although it would be weird for Kimi to let go of a race win in a season where he expected to win the title and see Massa get it.

Hopefully it won't come to us seeing teamates help teamates, and it's one mclaren vs ferrari driver, but we must
explore everything.

The title maybe setteled between mclaren drivers anyhow without Kimi having a chance, but if it comes down to the last race, it would seriously be weird to see either mclaren driver help the other out, if it was Alonso, I would think Ron Dennis would let him go early like Montoya etc.

Advertisement

#2 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 17:57

But again at least Michael and Ferrari got along for Michael to be team player. Will Alonso really dig his pride and forgo fighting for wins for Hamilton to succeed?

No, Alonso will say he's unable to drive only for Ron Dennis to find he's playing soccer. Which is something that Schumacher never did, and supports your claim of him being a team player.

#3 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,091 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 18:08

Long as Alonso can mathematically get the title, he wont help Hamilton. So its likely that we wont see any Mclaren teamplay what so ever during this season.

Some expect that after Monza there will surely be teamorders in Ferrari.

#4 ingegnere

ingegnere

• 724 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 18:11

If a Ferrari driver is still in contention and Alonso is out, I would not be surprised to see him do a Senna (Japan '90) to his own teammate.

#5 Pep

Pep

• 1,047 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 18:20

Up until now Hamilton is the only driver who has disobeyed a team order, unlike Alonso who has always respected what his boss was telling him.

So I think Hamilton is more "suspicious" of doing that again if, giving the case that Alonso is fighting Kimi for the title in the last race, he's requested to help Alonso.

#6 rjsa

rjsa

• 102 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 19:38

Originally posted by ingegnere
If a Ferrari driver is still in contention and Alonso is out, I would not be surprised to see him do a Senna (Japan '90) to his own teammate.

The right name for this stunt is Prost'89.

#7 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 21:55

It will be each man for himself and may the wiliest win! :D

I think once the constructers championship is in the Maclaren bag,Dennis will just let Alonso and Hamilton slug out till the best man wins.Afterall he did that with Senna and Prost so it's hardly uncharted territory for him.

#8 pUs

pUs

• 2,965 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:39

Originally posted by prty

No, Alonso will say he's unable to drive only for Ron Dennis to find he's playing soccer. Which is something that Schumacher never did, and supports your claim of him being a team player.

:confused: I thought Michael was more than a teamplayer in Malaysia, regardless of that football thing. Won't you agree?

#9 prty

prty

• 8,435 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:56

Originally posted by pUs

:confused: I thought Michael was more than a teamplayer in Malaysia, regardless of that football thing. Won't you agree?

In the track they do what the team tells them to do. See Alonso when asked what would he do if the team asks him to let Hamilton go pass in next qualifying.

There's a difference between doing what you have to do and doing what you want to do (which is being a team player). Don't tell me Schumacher wanted to help Irvine get the title, when he was lying about his condition so he didn't have to. Once he was on the track, he had to help him, so he did. And Irvine didn't play dirty to Schumacher.

#10 Levike

Levike

• 1,040 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:18

I hope Alonso will winning the WC. and then leave Mclaren. I think Hamilton is a "fag", and Alonso is really trying all the time. He is whining sometimes, but on the track he is doing a Man's job. Go Alonso and Kimi ! :)

#11 LeD

LeD

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 13:25

what's a "fag", Levike?

Please explain, it's a word with multiple meanings.

#12 giacomo

giacomo

• 6,977 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 14:00

So far neither at McLaren nor at Ferrari one driver clearly gained the mastery.

So a discussion concerning teamorders is a bit premature IMHO.

#13 slapstick

slapstick

• 1,809 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 14:11

Originally posted by giacomo
So far neither at McLaren nor at Ferrari one driver clearly gained the mastery.

Even if the points total don't show it Kimi has dominated Massa for the last races.

#14 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 16:24

Originally posted by slapstick

Even if the points total don't show it Kimi has dominated Massa for the last races.

DOMINATED?

*sigh*

#15 Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke

• 880 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 16:52

Well, here's something to consider, if Alonso signs with Renault or Ferrari before the season is over or he hints that he's leaving Mclaren, do you think Ron Dennis is going to be happy with him taking the #1? I doubt that.

Ron would probably say this: "You have a contract with us in 2008. I'll allow you to break it if you help Lewis win the championship. Otherwise, this will get messy in courts.