Photo

Interestesting defects

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 m9a3r5i7o2n

m9a3r5i7o2n

• 241 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 21:19

As an illustrative comment as to old lack of engineering known in the early 1930's;

Tinindian
In my experience the only part that is hard to find is a crown and pinion. I am on my 4th differential. Every one of the pinions dropped a tooth opposite the last digit of the stamped part number. Interesting flaw???.

Very interesting indeed !!!. I wonder it you had of polished the area around the digit if it would have relieved the internal stressed area???.
Have you examined the area and seen that the crack started at the bottom of the number? This should have been the area that had the most stress from heat treatment and a sharp stamp!

Do you have the parts still or have you discarded them?

Some of the other comments he made are at;

http://forums.aaca.o...d/Number/438282

Any comments will be very much appreciated!!!

M.L. Anderson :rotfl:

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 22:24

There are some G-clamps sold here (and probably all over the world) with a similar problem...

The have the word 'UNBREAKABLE' forged into them, and one of the letters creates a stress point that causes them all to break at that point when overloaded. I think it's the 'U' that does the damage... so if it had 'BREAKABLE' on there presumably it would be harder to break!

What is a 'Tinindian'?

#3 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 22:30

Just a guess, but a Tin Indian might well be a Pontiac.

#4 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 13:12

Originally posted by m9a3r5i7o2n
As an illustrative comment as to old lack of engineering known in the early 1930's;

Tinindian
In my experience the only part that is hard to find is a crown and pinion. I am on my 4th differential. Every one of the pinions dropped a tooth opposite the last digit of the stamped part number. Interesting flaw???.

Maybe after the second or third identical failure I might get out a file and dress that up before installing it. Just a thought.

Guy goes to the doctor and says "it hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "well, stop doing that."

Would love to see a photo of that ring and pinion, it does sound sort of interesting.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 13:26

Originally posted by McGuire
Guy goes to the doctor and says "it hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "well, stop doing that."

I was doing a Barber weekend at Road America once and was talking to the instructor about how I was having problems with bumps when I took a certain line. You could tell who all the racer-doctors were because they started chuckling.

#6 gbaker

gbaker

• 264 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 14:39

Me, to my instructor: "I'm having trouble dealing with traffic after getting passed."
Instructor: "Go faster. You'll be passed less."

#7 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 15:41

Filing won't help alone. It needs to be re treated and even then it may fail. Don't stamp anything, tag em or paint them.

Maybe after the second or third identical failure I might get out a file and dress that up before installing it. Just a thought.

Would love to see a photo of that ring and pinion, it does sound sort of interesting.

#8 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 15:53

Originally posted by phantom II
Filing won't help alone. It needs to be re treated and even then it may fail. Don't stamp anything, tag em or paint them.

Perhaps. But then you don't know the loving I can lay on a piece of metal. It's a kind of magic, really.

Your advice on how they should have marked the parts originally is totally sound, but around 70 years late. NOW you tell them LOL.

#9 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 16:02

yeah, I got the ass end of the story. I saw a Cuban scrapping bearings on a mid 80s Chevy 350 the other day and he had punched each bearing cap for ID. 1 hole for rod cap one, 2 for 2 and so on. Mains as well.

Perhaps. But then you don't know the loving I can lay on a piece of metal. It's a kind of magic, really.

Your advice on how they should have marked the parts originally is totally sound, but around 70 years late. NOW you tell them LOL.

#10 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 19:24

yeah, I got the ass end of the story. I saw a Cuban scrapping bearings on a mid 80s Chevy 350 the other day and he had punched each bearing cap for ID. 1 hole for rod cap one, 2 for 2 and so on. Mains as well.

Mechanics have been doing it that way for a long time. As long as you use a prick punch and don't go nuts with the hammer you will be okay.... probably. There are many things that should not be done but are often gotten away with.

When I work on Italian engines, instead of numbers I use a letter punch set and mark things I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX... mildy amusing for the next person who takes it apart. Oh the fun we have.

#11 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 19:37

I wont let you near my Lusso, you murderer you.

Mechanics have been doing it that way for a long time. As long as you use a prick punch and don't go nuts with the hammer you will be okay.... probably. There are many things that should not be done but are often gotten away with.

When I work on Italian engines, instead of numbers I use a letter punch set and mark things I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX... mildy amusing for the next person who takes it apart. Oh the fun we have.

#12 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 19:53

I wont let you near my Lusso, you murderer you.

Got that LS2 in there yet?

#13 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 21:04

You joke. I'm tempted as it smokes like hell from rings and valves so it is embarrassing to drive and it smells like oil inside. It was last restored in 86(not engine) and I have had it since 94. It didn't smoke when I first got it but I liked the sound of the V12 at full song too much. Its got 42 thousand miles which is high for an old Ferrari. The garage roof fell on it in the hurricane over two years ago. I'm on a waiting list to get it restored by a guy in Naples Fl. My son had a 550 with nearly 80 thousand miles. The original owner used it daily. Absolutely no problems. He put an exhaust system on it that made it sound like the Lusso. He has a 430 now and it is always being repaired. Two new clutches(paddle shift) and plenty brake problems and he rarely gets on it. What's a son of mine doing driving Fiats anyway? It took two years to get the warehouse roof fixed.

Got that LS2 in there yet?

#14 m9a3r5i7o2n

m9a3r5i7o2n

• 241 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 23:34

To McGuire; You might try to reach him at; mailto: rhpti@telus.net

M.L. Anderson :)

#15 McGuire

McGuire

• 9,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 11:49

You joke. I'm tempted as it smokes like hell from rings and valves so it is embarrassing to drive and it smells like oil inside. It was last restored in 86(not engine) and I have had it since 94. It didn't smoke when I first got it but I liked the sound of the V12 at full song too much. Its got 42 thousand miles which is high for an old Ferrari. The garage roof fell on it in the hurricane over two years ago. I'm on a waiting list to get it restored by a guy in Naples Fl.

That is a fine old engine, one of my favorites. You didn't hurt it a bit revving it as long as it didn't overspeed... probably good for it. IMO the secret to making them live without smoking prematurely is to drive them every day. Not just starting them but running them up to temps and wanging on them a bit. Otherwise the valve guides and piston rings will dry out and get all varnished up.

#16 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:28

I remember reading about a deathly accident happened to an US WWII fighter prototype (can't recall which).
One of the propeller blades failed because of a wrongly placed serial number stamp.