Photo

Jenks and the Citroen SM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 13:35

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my memory banks I recall DSJ writing some fairly complimentary words about a Citroen SM...

Undoubtedly it was in a Continental Notes article.

I'm not sure whether he had the use of one (I don't think so) or encountered one while driving rapidly across Europe en-route to a race meeting.

Whichever way it is, I'm keen to have his comments. If anyone has the magazine or can dig it up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 15:38

It was a full three page road test in December 1972. He said: "To say that the SM lived up to all my expectations, and more, is to understate the case. It rates at the very top of my list of desirable cars, even above the Dino Ferrari, which I rated as the ultimate in sports cars."

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 21:21

Thanks Roger, that's very helpful...

If only I still had my collection!

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 22:24

Maybe OT, but it's too tempting not to show - another SM fan:
http://citroens.citr...2003/cruijf.htm

Cruijff was a total fan of the car and drove his car all the way himself from Amsterdam to Barcelona when he signed there.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 22:33

A truly fascinating car...

And I have to thank both Roger and Jean-Maurice for scanning and sending me the Jenks article. I quoted it liberally in my story.

Yes, Roger, I'll send you a copy!

#6 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 13:21

Originally posted by Roger Clark
It was a full three page road test in December 1972. He said: "To say that the SM lived up to all my expectations, and more, is to understate the case. It rates at the very top of my list of desirable cars, even above the Dino Ferrari, which I rated as the ultimate in sports cars."

As I said in the Ganley thread, I couldn't possibly disagree with the likes of Jenks or Mike Hailwood and I've always harboured a desire to own an SM one day. But, how can anyone put a FWD car ahead of a Dino? I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I can't fathom how Citroen could have lavished so much expenditure on the engine and hydro-pneumatic systems, yet given the car FWD?

I wonder if any TNF-ers have experienced the mighty Bora? Surely, that has to be the ultimate driving fruit of the Citroen and Maserati relationship?

Ray - would you mind emailing the article to me as well? I've emailed you my email, if that's ok with you.

Justin

#7 Bondurand

Bondurand

• 166 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 16:32

The explanation for front wheel drive is obvious from France. Citroen was leading the way in FWD since the 30's and consider that choice as part of their brand DNA. At that epoch, focus was much more on global performance then on driving pleasure and FWD allowed fast driving safer for average users (vs talented pilots).

#8 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 16:41

Posted Image

Mike Beckwith doing his best with the Citroen SM in British prodsaloon racing in the 70s

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 21:02

Originally posted by Bondurand
The explanation for front wheel drive is obvious from France. Citroen was leading the way in FWD since the 30's and consider that choice as part of their brand DNA. At that epoch, focus was much more on global performance then on driving pleasure and FWD allowed fast driving safer for average users (vs talented pilots).

Even more pointedly, Citroen had developed systems that fitted in with that FWD concept, systems that made a car a total package...

And I don't think Jenks would have agreed with your closing words, either. Jenks always appreciated that there was another level, a level achieved through skill and experience, and I'm sure he felt it applied to the performance of the SM as well as any other car. He goes into the issue of primary safety vs secondary safety in the story, and throughout it's clear that his appreciation of the clear-headed advanced thinking of Citroen's development staff was real.

Flat-16... you have mail. I'm sure Roger and Jean-Maurice don't mind if I pass their scans around.

#10 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 23:21

Thanks for the article, Ray - vintage Jenks :up:

Thinking about it and having read Bondurand's comments, I feel a touch daft having commented on the FWD issue. Considering Citroen introduced FWD on the wonderful Traction Avant, it was a bit myopic of me to pick up on the FWD choice; although, having said that, I doubt there are too many FWD cars in the 'Jenks hall of fame'.

Personally, I find the idea of losing the front on a FWD car infinitely more terrifying than losing the back end on a RWD car.

On a RWD car, at least you have a few milliseconds' chance of getting the rear end back in.

If you lose the front on a FWD car, what are you going to do? Get acquainted with the hedge methinks...

Justin

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:06

A truly fascinating car...

And I have to thank both Roger and Jean-Maurice for scanning and sending me the Jenks article. I quoted it liberally in my story.

Yes, Roger, I'll send you a copy!

Ray I am wondering if you still have the Jenks SM article on your hard drive somewhere ?

December 1972 was the first Motor Sport I ever purchased at Ndola Airport IIRC. Unfortunately my copy has long since departed.

I'll PM my e-mail address.

Thanking you in anticipation :-)

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,259 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:46

I may well have... but...

Note that at the bottom of my posts, in my signature area, there's an e.mail address? Just click on that. PMs don't reach me.

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:50

Thanks Ray e-mail address on it's way :-) :up: