Photo

2nd Felixstowe Rally, 1952

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:58

The Eastern Counties Motor Club organised its second Felixstowe Rally in 1952, Starting at the Rutland Arms in Newmarket the first car left at 10-45 pm on Friday 22nd August. The route took the competitors through Saffron Waldon, Great Dunmow, Berkhamstead,, Bury St. Edmunds, Snetterton Circuit, Kings Lynn, Fersfield (on the redundant circuit) and back through the Suffolk countryside to Felixstowe by mid day, in all the route was 370 miles.

On the Saturday in the car park behind the Art Deco Cavendish hotels driving tests were carried out, the winner of these was Archie Scott Brown. The car park was overlooked by the scenic railway and ‘Crooked House’ which looks a bit bazaar in the photos.

The overall winners were Don and Earl Morley in an Austin Atlantic coupe, it was the twins first ever event and they modestly put it down to beginners luck, that however does not explain the rest of their career. The Autocar the following week gave the event a full page, it also mentions Harry Kemp Place, A. S Lusty, Jimmy Risk, A. Gordon, Dickie Stoop (Frazer Nash) Stan Boshier, Eric Ridley and A.C. Westwood. I have it on good authority that a Healey Duncan also took part, these were built in Norfolk.

Can anybody add to this?

Advertisement

#2 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 15:08

Autosport, August 29 1952 page 277 has what seems like a good report, class results etc, plus a couple of photos.
Roger Lund.

#3 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 18:23

Thanks for that, I put Autocar by mistake, I shall not print the name I just called myself!