Photo

Non-GP events

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 13:25

I'm bored at work, the idea has developped in my mind for a while and this is the off-season.

1 - Bernie wants more races;
2 - teams need to test;
3 - testing is expensive;
4 - the fans could do with more decent on track action.

So, why not re-instate (sp?) non-GP events as an alternative to fill these gaps?

The non-GP events could give Bernie his 20 races a year and, provided they are ran under a specific format, they can serve as 'sanctionated' testing sessions. Teams would be making money to test, the midia would have more to sell, the fans would have more to watch, follow and talk about.

What I have in mind is a weekend with the following format:
- Friday: free practicing from 09:00 to 11:30 and then from 12:30 to 15:00, 3rd cars allowed for all teams;
- Saturday: free practicing from 09:00 to 12:00 and a qualifying session from 13:00, 3rd cars allowed for all teams. The qualifying session could follow any given format, as a chance to try out different solutions to detemine which is the best. Assuming there would be 12 teams, 36 cars would try, but only 26 (which I consider an appropriate number) would qualify. So, to protect the smaller teams from being completely knocked out and losing out on TV time during the weekend, the fastest car from each team plus the remaining 14 fastest pilots (regardless of their teams) would form the grid on Sunday.
- Sunday: warmup from 10:00 to 11:00 and race beginning at 13:00.

With the ammount of track time and presence of 3rd cars, teams could use these events to do a considerable ammount of thesting that otherwise would be done close to anonymity. Teams would also have ideal conditions to evaluate to work and qualities of their potential drivers and cadidates for seats. A whole weekend like this would allow their feedback, speed, racecraft and more to be evaluated in the most relevant conditions, points being awarded or not, it would be their chance to show themselves. Or smaller teams could simply put some local journeyman with deep pockets to drive around the weekend, increasing local audience/interest.

Of course I assume there would be very few restrctions (such as long lasting engines) during the weekend the ensure there actually is a considerable ammount of track action.

The events should be spread out during the season strategically to replace the current joint test sessions the teams have. There could be events in Febuary (as preparation for the season), other in May, July and October.

I think you guys get my idea and I think it meets the needs of teams, Bernie, pilots, fans, midia...

What do you all think?

Make as many comments, suggestions and crtiques as you please.

:)

Advertisement

#2 Beej

Beej

• 409 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 13:31

I have always thought this would be a good idea. It would hopefully mean that non championship events would be cheaper for spectators aswell. :up:

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 13:35

Oh, I have left a tiny thing out of my post.

I just don't know how the Non-GP events promoters would feel about investing millions in a race which doesn't reward points.

:p

#4 FLB

FLB

• 29,871 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 14:45

Originally posted by Atreiu
Oh, I have left a tiny thing out of my post.

I just don't know how the Non-GP events promoters would feel about investing millions in a race which doesn't reward points.

:p

It used to be done until the mid-late 1970s. There were a ton of non-championship races. People still showed up.

Running a successful event has nothing to do with points (EX: The 24H of Le Mans, which isn't part of any championship)

#5 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 14:56

It's a brilliant idea. :up:

A proving ground for the cars and for wannabe F1 drivers, with modestly priced tickets to encourage fans to attend. Perhaps they could adopt the GP2 format for more entertainment value. Drivers could race for a cut of the takings... Of course Ecclestone would have to keep his grubby little hands off it in order to keep prices down.

#6 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 15:15

Originally posted by Atreiu
I'm bored at work,

(stuff)

What do you all think?

lol, i think you should come and work here with me, i've got work coming out of my bloody ears atm :D (no, i'm not a professional earwax collector before anyone asks :lol: )

I'll read the OP again tonight at home when I have some spare time :rotfl:

#7 Andy Donovan

Andy Donovan

• 1,015 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 15:20

Originally posted by FLB
Running a successful event has nothing to do with points (EX: The 24H of Le Mans, which isn't part of any championship)

Although LeMans isn't part of a championship, it does have a huge reputation. Most of these non-championship races would probably be brand new circuits with no history or reputation.

However, as we've seen when circuits are being chosen for the championship rounds history is readily replaced by a big pile of cash. If there's a big cash prize stumped up by a publicity-hungry government you can guarantee people will come to race.

#8 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:07

Back in the "olden" days, they used to have lots of "non-championship" F1 races - maybe it was a good idea after all?

#9 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,756 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:20

It's a nice idea but the logistics of an F1 team having year round racing might be too much. Especially if travel to warmer climates to avoid winter weather was necessary.

I oft wondered about having some sort of new Formula Tasman series for the Pacific Rim in the traditional 'off-season'. Open-Wheel cars with big V8s racing in Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, China, and Japan. Maybe India and South Korea too...

#10 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:08

It's often forgotten just how important some of the non-championship F1 races were in the past (for example, Race of Champions, International Trophy, Oulton Park Gold Cup).

These days, they could be staged between World Championship GPs instead of testing. It would keep some of the marginalised circuits happy and financially buoyant, and the teams would be able try out young drivers in a relatively non-pressurised environment.

The last time a non-championship race was proposed was for Donington circa 1990, but it was cancelled due to lack of entries.

Which circuits would stage these races? Donington? Brands Hatch? Hockenheim? Paul Ricard? Jerez?

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:33

Originally posted by stevewf1
Back in the "olden" days, they used to have lots of "non-championship" F1 races - maybe it was a good idea after all?

Back then the number of races was much smaller, and the money earned less. Non-championship races were a good way of filling in the gaps and earning a few quid.

If you go back furthur drivers would not be limited to F1, but would drive in all classes in order to earn a living.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:34

Originally posted by COUGAR508
It's often forgotten just how important some of the non-championship F1 races were in the past (for example, Race of Champions, International Trophy, Oulton Park Gold Cup).

These days, they could be staged between World Championship GPs instead of testing. It would keep some of the marginalised circuits happy and financially buoyant, and the teams would be able try out young drivers in a relatively non-pressurised environment.

The last time a non-championship race was proposed was for Donington circa 1990, but it was cancelled due to lack of entries.

Which circuits would stage these races? Donington? Brands Hatch? Hockenheim? Paul Ricard? Jerez?

Don't believe Donington or Brands are currently up to F1 standards, and doubt they would spend the money required for a one off race.

#13 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:08

limit the number of non championship races a driver could do, and a granteed gridslot, aslong as the car/driver was safe.

the irish bike road racing scene doesnt have a championship, but still draws fairly big crowds :)

in terms of cheap testing, i like what moto gp do, stick around a day or two after the race for testing :)

#14 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 18:06

Originally posted by pingu666

in terms of cheap testing, i like what moto gp do, stick around a day or two after the race for testing :)

F1 used to do similar things, having testing at Silverstone/Monza/Hockenheim etc the week before the race.

Although it would be wonderful to go back to the halcyon days of the 1950s-1970s, it isn't going to happen. Commercial pressures will probably see to that. F1 operates in too rareified a stratum these days.

#15 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 21:04

Originally posted by Andy Donovan
(...)However, as we've seen when circuits are being chosen for the championship rounds history is readily replaced by a big pile of cash. If there's a big cash prize stumped up by a publicity-hungry government you can guarantee people will come to race.

Yeah, money will always grab people's attention. Something like a Xangai 200 with a million dollar prize to the winner.
:)

How much does testing cost? There used to be a mile estimative. Anyhow, say 100K people show up during the weekend with each one paying a reasonable ammount, that plus TV revenue and the adds around the track should easen the costs a lot.

#16 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 00:09

Originally posted by Clatter

Back then the number of races was much smaller, and the money earned less. Non-championship races were a good way of filling in the gaps and earning a few quid.

Yes that's very true...

For 1961-65 (Total F1 races / Championship F1 races) - if I counted right:

1961: 29 / 8
1962: 29 / 9
1963: 24 / 10
1964: 18 / 10
1965: 15 / 10

#17 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:36

This is a great idea, and one that I have championed for some time. There are advantages for many. For one, these races could be lined up as an alternative to testing. For example, a Grand Premio di Roma at Vallelunga just before the Monaco GP could be perfect for the WC F1 teams. They might run their test teams, or whatever. So, development drivers could get the chance to shine, with occasional appearances from the race team drivers. Smaller teams would have an opportunity to gain morale boosting finishes. Race circuits could perhaps put together race packages, which they could sell to TV stations. The races would be outside of the CA, so customer chassis could be used, giving teams an alternative to hanging around GP2 indefinitely - and those teams that are succesful would put themselves in a good light for financial support should they attempt to break into the F1 WC.

It would also give drivers somewhere else to go after GP2 - and again, perhaps catch the eye of a WC team. And, really, Bernie ought to look upon this idea as a way out of his current predicament - whereby such races as the British GP, French GP don't pay him as much as some other venues might. They could run their races as non-championship events, and would likely be able to raise some pretty competitive fields (espec. the British event.) It'd be a good way of bringing such as Imola back into the F1 fold. And (given Champcar's spread into Europe) could give circuit owners/race organisors a healthy alternative.